Does anyone think reducing the circle size for camps was good?

I've already seen it reduces fights since there's usually no way to defend in time after a scout call so almost no one even tries. Small team (or zerg) captures the camp and leaves. No fights. The disappointing part is this should have been obvious if anyone on the 'balance team' even plays the game mode outside of the boon ball. 

Previously camps were a major point for field fights because while there are no walls, the circle size give defenders a chance even if they were weaker. Now it's just capture camp and leave, no "PvP interaction" there anymore. 

I missing something? Or does Anet think a "PvP interaction" is when one side captures an objective against NPCs? 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

I kinda liked it, it was annoying that someone can control a massive ring until its zombie bodies show and same with a 300k golem protecting it.  Did all the camps need it? Probably not and would of been better to slowly do it then a blanket all.

Either way it messes up with FC and I am all for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Yooo , I'm an evil boonballer and I think the cap ring is a bit small. 

I get the change for some camps so the ring won't overextend behind the houses (ebg), but the outer ring should end directly in front on the houses, not 1/2 away from them

Like , in some camps, rings don't involve the little kitting spots like the cliffs... 

On some big structures like SMC/keeps/towers etc... there is no room to start from mid range taking advantage of corners/pillars (if u are a caster) and THEN advance in melle. You have to dive melle in enemy face from the get go

Wasn't well implemented change imo...

Edited by MysteryDude.1572

5 hours ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

@XenesisII.1540 if i recall theres a few skill that teleport trough those huts  node farmers will be farmed by surprise now..  i actually like this change.

I think this change will apply a reverse card in anet intentions lol

No one is farming nodes if there's enemies around, unless it's a complete newb not paying attention to their surroundings, so congratulations on baiting a sheep to the veteran wolves I guess. They only thing they accomplished with these moves is adding movement annoyances for fights in the rings, from the camps I've seen there was absolutely no reason to move the nodes in sec, umber, rogues, speldans(what in the actually kitten for this one, moving it from the lumber machines 2 ft across to the lumber stacks).

This was some real lazy bare bones development to claim credit for working on wvw. I'd love to see this show up on a dev's linkedin one day: Worked on endgame content for WvW - Reduced all red ring sizes to be uniformed in size, as well as moved mining nodes to more suitable spots on the map in order to promote more stable PvP interactions.

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I'll still chop leather in the middle of an enemy guild group, thank you very much.

I always try to swipe the leather real quick on the way to a fight too. Bonus when the driver waits for the tail near nodes!

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

I think the circles are too small, though I do think consistency in size across all objectives is a better choice than what we had before. 

One of the strengths of a quality group was being able to hold a large capture circle with multiple points of ingress against clouding defenders. These circles are small enough that a group can mostly stack on point and rotate to clear the ring instead of being required to disperse to cut off access for contesting defenders. Something between what we have now and what we used to have for SMC would be best, I think. 

I actually think leaving the nodes outside the capture circle is better. Nodes are for the winners, the ones who leave the victory circle. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am looking at this on all three scales currently. This seems to be reducing fights by using smaller rings. I am also saying this as one trying to capture and defend. I am usually one that tries to hold a ring and tell people to get in the ring to contest. Been doing that a lot less this week.

It's fine for some objectives such as N camp on Alpine since it was so ridiculously big people could just keep suiciding into it. Another is probably SMC, which needs to flip more really. It feels like an overcompensation for some of them, and honestly it would be irritating to fight some builds that have to be kited.

It's probably a buff for my server though, since it'll stop the bots from suiciding in when unnecessary and just feeding.

In this current state of the game, suicide contests are kind of a waste of time anyways, and you will generally be spamming damage mitigation/dodges to contest a circle regardless; meaning it has to be done up close anyways.

edit: yea smc is not a supply camp. But it kinda is!

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

22 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

It's fine for some objectives such as N camp on Alpine since it was so ridiculously big people could just keep suiciding into it. Another is probably SMC, which needs to flip more really. It feels like an overcompensation for some of them, and honestly it would be irritating to fight some builds that have to be kited.

It's probably a buff for my server though, since it'll stop the bots from suiciding in when unnecessary and just feeding.

In this current state of the game, suicide contests are kind of a waste of time anyways, and you will generally be spamming damage mitigation/dodges to contest a circle regardless; meaning it has to be done up close anyways.

Will be curious to see how people adjust here. Still pondering using golems even if they can't contest, smaller rings, use more golems. Add more open field siege further out. Still need suicide peeps though or it won't help. 

3 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Will be curious to see how people adjust here. Still pondering using golems even if they can't contest, smaller rings, use more golems. Add more open field siege further out. Still need suicide peeps though or it won't help. 

Golems are good for ressing/stomping, but you won't be able to use them to stall anymore. So if you don't have a group, just take the golem away or walk it towards allies.

Personally, I don't really see the point in suiciding contest. It's fine to contest if there are people coming in but beyond that it's really just inting since certain groups deliberately delay the cap for kills. It really depends on the nature of the enemy group.

And of course the build matters too; shouldn't really be contesting with squishy things though I suppose that fixes itself..

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

Just now, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Golems are good for ressing/stomping, but you won't be able to use them to stall anymore. So if you don't have a group, just take the golem away or walk it towards allies.

Personally, I don't really see the point in suiciding contest. It's fine to contest if there are people coming in but beyond that it's really just inting since certain groups deliberately delay the cap for kills. It really depends on the nature of the enemy group.

Agree not stall since can't contest, but people in smaller ring with more golems in an overlap circle more golem hits. Answer is still probably no since that was the issue in the first place of time to get people there. As Xen has joked me, all that shiny siege does no good if no is around to use it. 

It is neither good nor bad to reduce the size of the contest rings. At this point the action of making this change, and also the changes to the location of the nodes, are something to distract players from the more pressing matter: ALLIANCE WHEN, RESTRUCTUREING WHEN? while everyone is talking about the RING, it gives some breathing space for the team to work on the "main changes" 

I would guess the scenario to be like this: 
Players are unhappy we are not doing anything for WvW, 
GO READ THE FORUM, FIND SOMETHING EASY TO FIX AND DO IT

hence the ring was reduced. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

I would guess the scenario to be like this: 
Players are unhappy we are not doing anything for WvW, 
GO READ THE FORUM, FIND SOMETHING EASY TO FIX AND DO IT

hence the ring was reduced. 

Except no one in the forums asked for those changes.... 😏

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Except no one in the forums asked for those changes.... 😏

But someone did, I found the one about the golem, if i have time i would look for the ring one lol  (PS: i cannot remember, but I think I might have mention sometime in the pass that nodes not in the circle makes it hard for players bla bla bla... really cannot remember if I have put it in the forum or just talking about it with friends, but that doesn't make the game any good or bad, it was just me being lazy)

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Golems sure, but I thought this was a joke about rings. 🤭

I am not joking, someone did complaint about it here in the WvW sub forum, they were saying something like, thief hiding, bla bla bla and so hard to cap ... it could be a reply to a thread instead of a Thread by itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

I am not joking, someone did complaint about it here in the WvW sub forum, they were saying something like, thief hiding, bla bla bla and so hard to cap ... it could be a reply to a thread instead of a Thread by itself.

But if someone complained about circle size in there, Anet would have nerfed thief stealth and not touched the circles.

The only logical answer is that they complained about thief stealth and not the circles, hence circles got reduced while thieves are untouched.

Come on, you know how Anet work.

• Haha 6

I am amazed how kitten things look now with the smaller centered circles and the nodes thrown in there. In the Alpine Borderlands NC the little well is inside the circle now with the team color overlay shading the well...a lot of effort went into that clearly.
Cornerstone indeed.
I shudder when contemplating how a fix to exploitable towers would look like.

• Like 1

I havent managed to play this week since I am on a trip, but to me my experience was that some camp circles needed adjusting since there were too many spots behind buildings to contest from.

Now If they just reduced all of them signifantly, then that seems like an overkill. For example I thought alpine north or NW camp were fine, just that defenders had too many stats.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Confused 2