[Suggestions]QoL (Quality of Life) Ideas [Merged]

ginryu.3026

I thought I could post an image for this.

Basically if you turn off game messages on a custom tab like "Whispers" it'll still show when you're spamming trying to take supply in WvW, when someone captures Bloodlust, when you cannot use an item, when you have full supply, etc. types of messages. I have "game messages" disabled, but it doesn't count these red messages for some reason. This happens for all custom channels. It's useless information. They should all fall under the Game Messages catagory.

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

HI! Big no. And I say this to support the PvE players that might run into issues. A bigger No since in WvW why should you be able to access my build to adjust yours to try and fight me again? No you need to build out better and know you build. See how assumptions work. OP never mentioned game mode.

Why would gearcheck ever be enabled on enemies?

Edited by DirtyDan.4759
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am rather mixed on this issue.

I actually do think having a feature can promote toxic play, however not having the feature also promotes toxic play. 

The game sorely needs things in the game to encourage players to consistently improve. In order for that to happen a player needs to be able to see that they are being inefficient. Right now its pretty easy to be an absolutely terrible player and there is little in the game to tell you that you are playing at ultra-hard mode settings where everything seems like it is a wall of HP.

So we have two opposing systems that this falls into. One that allows self-correction, which can be seen as overall positive, and one that allows gatekeeping. GW2's community has a strong aversion to anything that can help gatekeep other players, with a very strong 'play as you want' attitude held by a lot of people in the community.

But there is content in the game that requires a DPS check, and the player that is not doing enough damage needs to be forced to correct themselves. I recruit out of the training tab for strikes, and the quality of player does change how long it takes us to complete what normally would be completed for experienced groups in less than 15 minutes. My DPS floor for any DPS player is pretty low, at 7k, but I get people who do not even half that, taking a DPS slot.

Now the problem I have is what do I do with these players. I think its a bit unfair to them to not point this out at some level, in private of course and see what I can do to get them on the right track. If I don't do this future groups they join they may get kicked from, and not even know why and they can get stuck in a toxic loop.

I think it helps to list out the pros and cons of such a tool:

Pros:

Allows newer players to aspire to copy other more experienced players.

Allows self correction

Allows people to figure out what fashion wars skins your using. 

Allows experienced groups to gatekeep players that don't qualify.

Easier for experienced players to correct an inexperienced player.

Cons:

Allows gatekeeping, especially extreme or unfair ones that tend to be overly meta enforcing instead of performance gating (Performance gating = dps meter check, wheras meta gating is based on an assumption of your dps based on your gear).

Allows people to copy other peoples fashion easier when the other player may not want to reveal what they have equipped.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Very true.

Yea, it's already pretty obvious if someone knows what they're doing. One bad run maybe, but if they're consistently putting up potato damage or not knowing where to go.

There are definitely imposters, but all that really takes is a few extra questions; don't be that lazy. You always want to confirm they are aware of their role anyways; eg. they are condi quickness, heal quickness and not just a "support". If you fail to outline expectations, that is on you.

It is highly unlikely that a player would knowingly bring trash stats/gear to a fight and be able to comprehend roles and the fight beyond the most shallow of questions. And even if they did, it'd be impossible to not quickly notice.

Sometimes you'll get someone that's smart enough to pretend past those but it's pretty rare. Truth is I think people suck at gatekeeping.  Any imposters should be removed within a few minutes, not because they're bad, but because they were lying to join your party. I am not sure how people waste a significant amount of time on this.

Then again, I suppose good players eventually find a good enough network of players to bypass the problem. Like these days, I have multiple guilds and a big enough friends list on discord and can be very selective about who I play with. if even at all. And I'm extremely casual with pve, not sure how better players even set their sights on pug plebs tbh.

Yes I am gatekeeping their gatekeeping. Also I would definitely never play with many in this forum and would kick them on sight. I didn't need a gear check for that.  😉

edit: The LFG system is pretty bad though.

edit 2: BTW, I don't actually care personally; I link my Gw2e character links to people all the time. But as I've already seen in this thread, there are already people saying that the only people who don't want gear inspect are the ones with something to hide. And that is exactly why opt out or even forcing opt-in will be problematic since opting out will inherently look sus.

Anything that can be used for gatekeeping will be used for gatekeeping. I mean, there is even AP gatekeeping at one point.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Im sure this has been said brought up before, buts its now 2023 and there is no way to access an item in your inventory without opening your inventory.  1 or 2 bars down beside the mount icon (or wherever), where an item could be placed, that allows the item to be used without opening your inventory, would be amazing, imo. 

Im thinking of items which need to be activated during an event or raid kill, portal devices, CC items in open world PvE...anything. 

Is there an actual reason this is not part of the game?     

• Confused 3

14 hours ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

Friend, you've missed my point  People who repeatedly play content for rewards don't want to spend the full 10 - 15 minutes to enrage to defeat a boss.  They want it dead in 2-4 minutes and move on to the next kill.  They have the right to play with like-minded people, who have the right builds, gear, and experience, just like you have a right to build your own groups with your own requirements.

...and they can already do all of this, right now, today, w/out adding a gear check.  I'd bet it happens every day.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

SIRE ! I would love to suggest on having subscribtion system in LFG.

I believe LFG is a good system. But it would be better if there is a way for player to know what other player think. Hear me out,
Let's say I want to post Caedecu's Manor party right ? But since it'll take sometime, I want to strive for efficiency and farm map meta's - like DF. But doing so, will force me to leave my post and join a squad.

But what if, we have subscribtion system. Where LFG shows :
1. How many people interested (in a form of subscription) to the channel.
2. That player location and readiness.

3. Alert message  when a party is posted on the subscribed channel. (If we are worried some people left subscribed to all channel, we can poke them by giving endless alert. It'll annoy them, and force them to only subscribe on channel they truely care)

I know that this will brought non-vital load to your tech team. Lotsa changes both in UI/UX and database after all. But, I this is my best thought on enabling rare-used LFG channels and contents ! Thanks ^^

• Confused 3

13 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Yea, it's already pretty obvious if someone knows what they're doing. One bad run maybe, but if they're consistently putting up potato damage or not knowing where to go.

There are definitely imposters, but all that really takes is a few extra questions; don't be that lazy. You always want to confirm they are aware of their role anyways; eg. they are condi quickness, heal quickness and not just a "support". If you fail to outline expectations, that is on you.

It is highly unlikely that a player would knowingly bring trash stats/gear to a fight and be able to comprehend roles and the fight beyond the most shallow of questions. And even if they did, it'd be impossible to not quickly notice.

Sometimes you'll get someone that's smart enough to pretend past those but it's pretty rare. Truth is I think people suck at gatekeeping.  Any imposters should be removed within a few minutes, not because they're bad, but because they were lying to join your party. I am not sure how people waste a significant amount of time on this.

Then again, I suppose good players eventually find a good enough network of players to bypass the problem. Like these days, I have multiple guilds and a big enough friends list on discord and can be very selective about who I play with. if even at all. And I'm extremely casual with pve, not sure how better players even set their sights on pug plebs tbh.

Yes I am gatekeeping their gatekeeping. Also I would definitely never play with many in this forum and would kick them on sight. I didn't need a gear check for that.  😉

edit: The LFG system is pretty bad though.

edit 2: BTW, I don't actually care personally; I link my Gw2e character links to people all the time. But as I've already seen in this thread, there are already people saying that the only people who don't want gear inspect are the ones with something to hide. And that is exactly why opt out or even forcing opt-in will be problematic since opting out will inherently look sus.

Anything that can be used for gatekeeping will be used for gatekeeping. I mean, there is even AP gatekeeping at one point.

I admit my friend I am sending a /wave at the open minded ideas of nagoL and for considering people that might want to passively share builds or cosmetics and the thoughtfulness to consider others may not be by allowing opt-outs. But agree with others that it might lead down other paths. As a PvXer, vainly feel the need to point out this wouldn't work in other modes so +1 from me there. In other game modes this might be used to counter builds on the fly and enemies they are fighting would be able to review and adjust their builds to fight players they are against.. So unless restritced which hasn't been discussed that's a -1. Enemies shouldn't be allowed to review your build just to respec and come at you again. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

No they're trolls and liars because they come in with an assortment of yellows and say they have experience

You inspecting them proves nothing, that you can see their build does not mean you know how they play or how well they do with it. It just means your build doesn't match theirs. Your assumptions on the build just means you assumed. In PvE, sPvP and in WvW, one thing holds true, dead deeps do no deeps. So if a player is not built out in a way that you assume they should be doesn't keep them alive. Considering this tool would impact multiple game modes in other negative ways outside of player assumptions, that's a no. So no, don't use gear checks on pugs groups in any mode, you need people, find them directly and lets remove the abuses it would cause and the negatives player interactions, you need people in the mode you are playing, don't pug but get a group or guild but don't apply your restrictions to a pickup group. Again OP didn't imply a game mode and not seeing people that vote for it have offered solutions to limit, so again, no thanks. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DirtyDan.4759 said:

Why would gearcheck ever be enabled on enemies?

Reverse the thought. You are in a different mode of sPvP and WvW and have tagged the enemy player. Now your are in PvE and in this mode they aren't flagged red, hence you can inspect them. Now you have insight on how to build out against them. Why should this feature be?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Reverse the thought. You are in a different mode of sPvP and WvW and have tagged the enemy player. Now your are in PvE and in this mode they aren't flagged red, hence you can inspect them. Now you have insight on how to build out against them. Why should this feature be?

So you would chase a player around tyria just to gearcheck him because you are too bad at killing him? 
In PvP there are like 10 amulets. If you can't figure out what they are using without gearcheck, using gearcheck won't help you at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

What construct of delirium is responsible for cooking up this idea!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

You inspecting them proves nothing, that you can see their build does not mean you know how they play or how well they do with it. It just means your build doesn't match theirs. Your assumptions on the build just means you assumed. In PvE, sPvP and in WvW, one thing holds true, dead deeps do no deeps. So if a player is not built out in a way that you assume they should be doesn't keep them alive. Considering this tool would impact multiple game modes in other negative ways outside of player assumptions, that's a no. So no, don't use gear checks on pugs groups in any mode, you need people, find them directly and lets remove the abuses it would cause and the negatives player interactions, you need people in the mode you are playing, don't pug but get a group or guild but don't apply your restrictions to a pickup group. Again OP didn't imply a game mode and not seeing people that vote for it have offered solutions to limit, so again, no thanks. 

Yeah, no, someone saying they're super experienced  coming at you with gear that looks like it was assembled by randomly selecting rarity and prefixes is another red flag that can lead to further questioning on if they even know the encounter & role they signed up for while citing that their gear looks unoptimized for the role they joined for.  As for dead dealing no DPS, a player in optimized damage gear with a proper rotation does more damage  in 5 seconds than someone in soldier's, Knight's, or celestial gear does in the same amount of time.  In fact, the reason the full glass cannon builds can go full glass in party scenarios is that healing, boons, and control are put onto the support and tank roles.   You don't build into defensive stats (Vitality, toughness,  healing power, concentration) unless you're a support, tank, or otherwise. WvW and PvP are exceptions. PvP because you won't be with your team all the time and WvW to survive the few hits and AoEs that you can't dodge.  Also, just because OP didn't say gear check should be limited to own team or off in competitive game modes doesn't mean they advocate for them being on in those game modes.  That's just extrapolating something from nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 1/23/2023 at 9:45 AM, nagoL.3701 said:

Team,

Apologies in advance, as I wasn't able to find a game suggestion area on the forums and submitted a ticket to support to clarify.

I think this one might strike home with a lot of players but here goes nothing.. Since I've returned, I can't find anywhere to Inspect a player's gear or outfit.

1. Can we look into adding an inspect feature to inspect other players gear?
  2. Additionally, add the option to enable/disable this feature to allow players to disallow viewing of said gear for privacy reasons.

This would be greatly appreciated and I think this would be a awesome MMO addition to the updates that have been happening lately.

Thank you,
Logan aka nag0L

Nah. Been discussed ad nauseam. If you want to know someone’s gear setup, then just message them. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

...and they can already do all of this, right now, today, w/out adding a gear check.  I'd bet it happens every day.

All correct. My favourite part is that the poster you quoted identifies that everyone has the right to play how they want with who they want ... but for SOME reason, that poster thinks the people who want to play optimally with other players that also play optimally are exceptional so they should have a gearcheck tool to police their team formation methods to avoid having their rights abused by average players. 

Apparently, everyone has equivalent rights ... but for whatever reason, some people's rights are more equal than others.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

Yeah, no, someone saying they're super experienced  coming at you with gear that looks like it was assembled by randomly selecting rarity and prefixes is another red flag that can lead to further questioning on if they even know the encounter & role they signed up for while citing that their gear looks unoptimized for the role they joined for.  As for dead dealing no DPS, a player in optimized damage gear with a proper rotation does more damage  in 5 seconds than someone in soldier's, Knight's, or celestial gear does in the same amount of time.  In fact, the reason the full glass cannon builds can go full glass in party scenarios is that healing, boons, and control are put onto the support and tank roles.   You don't build into defensive stats (Vitality, toughness,  healing power, concentration) unless you're a support, tank, or otherwise. WvW and PvP are exceptions. PvP because you won't be with your team all the time and WvW to survive the few hits and AoEs that you can't dodge.  Also, just because OP didn't say gear check should be limited to own team or off in competitive game modes doesn't mean they advocate for them being on in those game modes.  That's just extrapolating something from nothing.

The point is in PvE people already make assumptions and too many use out of game tools where they didn't even do the research themselves nor the time to test something. Now add in sPvP and WvW and the issue gets even more muddled. Top that with people that will miss-use it over those that might use it to help and it just leads to something that would leave the situation off worse then two people just talking and sharing information. So again -1 here.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, DirtyDan.4759 said:

So you would chase a player around tyria just to gearcheck him because you are too bad at killing him? 
In PvP there are like 10 amulets. If you can't figure out what they are using without gearcheck, using gearcheck won't help you at all.

You never faced that player in WvW that will break combat multiple times to switch build templates and then try you again and again till they could find something that worked because they feared their e-death? Most players won't but in all game modes people will find ways to abuse some features. Outside of people speaking different languages there are already tools in game via text to achieve the goals mentioned by the OP versus creating tools that might be abused. Sorry will opt in having to have people actually talk to each other instead.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

You never faced that player in WvW that will break combat multiple times to switch build templates and then try you again and again till they could find something that worked because they feared their e-death? Most players won't but in all game modes people will find ways to abuse some features. Outside of people speaking different languages there are already tools in game via text to achieve the goals mentioned by the OP versus creating tools that might be abused. Sorry will opt in having to have people actually talk to each other instead.

So the hypothetical player will... break combat, add you as friend, then wait until you are out of WvW, follow you to a map, inspect your gear, then go back to WvW, wait for you, and then, finally, gank you with his uber leet pro you-cutter ultra-counter build?

Utter delirium.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

So the hypothetical player will... break combat, add you as friend, then wait until you are out of WvW, follow you to a map, inspect your gear, then go back to WvW, wait for you, and then, finally, gank you with his uber leet pro you-cutter ultra-counter build?

Utter delirium.

Its more of a point that people will abuse where they can. Why would anyone ever use exploits, makes no sense to most of us but people still find ways. Why make it easier instead of just require people in an MMO have to actually talk to each other.

Side-note: The other point is there was no discussion on how/where implemented which is part of the point and danger of a broad topic with detail, who said anything about breaking combat and adding as a friend, initial idea was just inspect. Its the old programming joke about wanting a tree swing and how that could be interpreted. 

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
Side-note
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1