Get answers to your top questions regarding the new Homesteads feature! [Merged]

On 7/31/2024 at 5:18 PM, Randin.5701 said:

It's already been confirmed that there will be a post-launch feature where you will be able to go up to a single gathering station and harvest from every node at once with one click. So if the node placement is less efficient than the home instance, it'll only be an issue for the next three months or so.

Actually that was going to be a post launch feature but they have decided to give it to us at launch.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2024 at 1:13 AM, DragonFlykm.8621 said:

I agrree. I really want the nodes at least each type close together so I can use my auto pickup skill on the tools. Being able to collect around an area is neat.

We were supposed to get an option to harvest with one click post launch but they have decided to give it to us at launch.

Question regarding the glyphs in the collection box:

If we already have a preferred glyph set on our gathering tools will we need to buy another set of those same glyphs just for the collection box? It wasn't clear in the video where those glyphs are taken from.

is it my imagination or does the homestead make my glyphs of reaping pretty much pointless?  I guess they can still be used in open world if i want bushels of strawberries or potatoes.  But they were really only useful in the home instance.

I would like if we could set up our own training catgolems in the homestead. With more features than the raid training area like setting up a group of them to test the cleave damage or a friendly golem with low health for healing and boon application. Is something like that planned?

• Like 3

What are the object placed limits? How many objects can we place? with all those grasses that you can remove from your homestead I wonder what the cap is.  (and no i'm not totally done watching the live stream yet maybe it will tell me)https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2214041991

I like the default reset for decorations but kinda wish there were templates we could save after we decorated, sorta like equipment templates. I can see the future 😄 and I can see a need for this, for people that enjoy decorating, not just interior decorating but building homes inside of homes, massive sculpture things.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The VERY first thing in the Homestead stream is that you can interact with doors to hide them if they are in the way. Why not just give chests loot priority?!

I don't understand how Arenanet can't figure out interaction priority. Chests and loot, banners/food/utility, vendors, portals, Homestead entrance, toys, then npcs that don't do anything.

Edited by Eloc Freidon.5692
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

Found out that even after you move your alts to be in a specific location, they return to the default areas. This defeats the whole point of having your alts show up in the homes. What's the points of creating a mood for your place if your alts don't stay where you think fits best for them?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

Hey all 

i just watched the livestream they did about Homesteading (friday 2nd of august) and my one big question is, will Guild hall decoration tokens be useable in homesteads? i still have my Heart of Thorns preorder token in my bank (kind of a collectible for me) and i would love to know if i could use it in homesteading ^.^.
this question is also pointed to potential current Guild Hall decoration options (like festival of the four winds lantern).

thanks for reading and looking forward greatly to the dlc 😄

i went through frame by frame on the livestream when Sarah was showing off all the decorations; it looks like a number of the raid themed decorations are there, but they have slightly different icons suggesting they have a new recipe using the Homesteader crafting, rather that being purchases through Fion.

i ddn't see anything that looks like the Charr copter, Vine wall, or Wyvern trophy in the list, so it's unlikely the Mordremoth's Bane Guild Decoration will be used for anything new.

2 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Found out that even after you move your alts to be in a specific location, they return to the default areas. This defeats the whole point of having your alts show up in the homes. What's the points of creating a mood for your place if your alts don't stay where you think fits best for them?

Agreed.

It would make more sense if you placed an alt somewhere, it saved the location and action or emote it was doing UNTIL you select to play as them and THAT is when they will reset to the default location. Its not the worst mistake in the world but I definitely feel disappointed by the fact.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, HearldofTime.8294 said:

Agreed.

It would make more sense if you placed an alt somewhere, it saved the location and action or emote it was doing UNTIL you select to play as them and THAT is when they will reset to the default location. Its not the worst mistake in the world but I definitely feel disappointed by the fact.

It would be better to just have NPCs you can place and they adopt your character's current fashion. Not have this dance around leaving characters in the homestead.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

It would be better to just have NPCs you can place and they adopt your character's current fashion. Not have this dance around leaving characters in the homestead.

Agreed. "Clones" are easy to maintain, it does not need to be the actual character(s).

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

I asked a couple of times in Twitch chat but did not see any replies there or hear any on stream, so per the request to ask unanswered questions on the forum:

Do guests in a homestead need decoration permission to become a bee, or will everyone be able to fly around even if they aren't allowed to change anything?

Will the achievement-based Gourmet Cooking Station be available, and will it be usable by all characters on the account or remain visible only to Chef Lv.425+?

And I'll add another vote for being able to redo the architectural style. At launch sure, the cabin should be the default. But sooner or later that rustic look will get old, and I'm betting on sooner. What if we want an Asuran, Charr, Elonian or Canthan (etc) styled building? Or perhaps Krytan, Zephyrite, Wizard or even Hylek? When someone makes a temple to Joko (you know at least a few will try), will they be stuck with this backwoods cabin to work around? I cannot possibly imagine that His Inevitability would be pleased with such a humble structure juxtaposed with a monument to his greatness. 😜

The rest looks really cool, but a party-sized population limit does seem rather small for what was shown in that preview. Homesteads may not be as big as a full Zone map, but when they turned the camera toward all the empty space, it looked like about as much land as a guild hall or city would occupy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Don't see how the doors add much, no real reason to show them to any one other than the owner.  It serves a purpose advertising, but not every one want's it advertised, and Lots of people don't want to go in unless it's a full home, they would also need to indicate how many nodes are unlocked.  I am glad they did put in some anti griefing measures, shows they thought this though so maybe I am missing something?

Disappointed we can't tear it all down to the ground and build what we want, but that might be a limitation of the engine; But I guess it decorations not construction.

Maybe alts would have been better if placed as a NPC copy of yourself as decoration, but then there would be two of you when you place it. 😆  The manipulation tools also wouldn't work quite right (that alt always did seam larger than life and his head is always up in the clouds, can you resize NPCs 😕).

Looks like the manipulation tools could use option to drop back to the ground and reset rotation; Still a huge improvement to the current guild hall decorating engine.

Can we have more info on the collection boxes?  I didn't have time to watch the full stream but what I caught it sounds like the collection box will only be available for instance owners.  Does this mean guests will be limited to harvesting nodes the old way, one at a time?  Also could use clarification on how glyphs are handled. Any more info on this I missed?

Sorry if this post seems too negative it looks really cool and I am looking forward to it; Surprised there is not more discussion and looking for any hints buried in the video. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

PS forgot to ask, will the Homestead be added to the existing Home Portal Stone from the Gem Shop as another destination option, the way tomes and many gates work now to list a menu of possible endpoints?

After the associated mastery is finished and the Homestead is unlocked, somewhere there should be an NPC who can exchange the existing stone for a replacement item with the added function. That would probably be the most straightforward way to go about it; that way the current stone still retains value for people without JW, but for those with JW the mastery unlocks the ability to trade it in for an upgrade (maybe it could go from yellow Rare to gold Exotic for a visual difference) so it retains value for them, too.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
exchange NPC
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I am not very interested in the spear, and I don't need any more legendary gear, but after watching the stream via Mukluk, Homesteads got me excited for the upcoming expansion! Though I was never among those requesting housing. 😄 They really did a great job at reworking decorating. Wow.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

yea i wish yer alt clones in the homestead stayed there no matter what. If you log onto that toon and go in the isntance i can understand it disappearing but I dislike the idea that if you play on a toon that was in yer homestead (i'm an altoholic- you know this is a thing) you have to return to your homestead b4 you log out otherwise that toon wont show up in yer homestead anymore. code this differently please! So basically having a door wastes time, i wonder how much time it wastes really though. Probs not that much, I guess i'll find out at launch. It's just the idea that instead of opening a panel and clicking enter, we get to open a panel and click open door, then wait for it to spawn (instantly?) then i guess if its just us instantly i hope, still feels like extra steps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Get answers to your top questions regarding the new Homesteads feature! [Merged]
On 7/31/2024 at 1:51 PM, JulesPetrikov.7920 said:

How many cats are we allowed to have in our homesteads? That's arguably the most important and gameplay impacting question.

Any more than 35 will earn you a visit from the Inquest Health Department and Animal Experimentation Welfare officers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/3/2024 at 4:45 AM, Mattahood.9423 said:

is it my imagination or does the homestead make my glyphs of reaping pretty much pointless?  I guess they can still be used in open world if i want bushels of strawberries or potatoes.  But they were really only useful in the home instance.

Don't forget about guild halls. I think the glyph of reaping on harvesting tools is pretty useful there too. (And if you do the precursor collections for Kudzu you get access to a garden where the glyph of reaping is the best thing since sliced bread.)

But I only ever got one glyph to use in my harvesting sickles, I never got multiple. I guess having multiple will be less ideal. Having trees or mining modes together is significantly more rare than plants outside of home instances.

• Like 1

In the stream they showed 'clear all decorations' and 'reset to default' options for homesteads, and I started to wonder if it might be possible to have extra save layouts for homesteads? 

This would be a big help when experimenting buildings various things so that you could "roll back" to your saved layout. Would also be nice for various festivals in case you want to decorate your homestead for eg halloween and then load the saved look when it's over.

Could also possibly be turned in to a gem store QoL thing, so sold as homestead decorative save layouts. I'd imagine these would sell quite well.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

In the stream they showed 'clear all decorations' and 'reset to default' options for homesteads, and I started to wonder if it might be possible to have extra save layouts for homesteads? 

This would be a big help when experimenting buildings various things so that you could "roll back" to your saved layout. Would also be nice for various festivals in case you want to decorate your homestead for eg halloween and then load the saved look when it's over.

Could also possibly be turned in to a gem store QoL thing, so sold as homestead decorative save layouts. I'd imagine these would sell quite well.

Yes, we need homestead build tabs or storage. 😉

• Haha 2

A random request:

Is there any way to include a library? A place to store/unlock all of the random "books" we've collected throughout the years as rewards for pages/tomes collections? The most recent example I can think of is the "Complete Oracle Deck" from Sorrow's Lost but there are tons of others. I'd love to have all of these in one place where I can click through them (and get them out of my one alt's inventory slots).

Please ?

Edited by Mori.4698
  • Like 8