Homestead Doors are going to turn off new players, and ruin the open world that Arenanet has spent years creating.

15 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I was under the impression that the door persist when you go to your homestead. Why make a door at all if it doesn't? Seems completely pointless.

it's there as Flair; something interesting and tangible to interact with, rather than just another zero-effort button or scroll to push: And as something to engage other players with (if you choose) if you want to share your farm, or just hang out, that again, is a bit more interesting that just right-click>invite to party.

if you don't want to engage with other people, you don't have to.

There is not going to be a gazillion of doors. There is going to be one door, and the one who enters it will cause their homestead to be loaded. Same with the current home instance. If you are in a party then a popup will be shown to the party members to join their party in their homestead.

Or there will be 0 doors, just a button in the UI to go to your homestead.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

There is not going to be a gazillion of doors. There is going to be one door, and the one who enters it will cause their homestead to be loaded. Same with the current home instance. If you are in a party then a popup will be shown to the party members to join their party in their homestead.

Or there will be 0 doors, just a button in the UI to go to your homestead.

gonna assume you didn't watch the livestream

• Like 2

Doors are more for just selling skins. It is a part of it, but they're already selling us other homestead decorations.

• Party instancing in GW2 has always been odd for places like home instances or personal story instances. How many people would honestly join their friends to see their homestead if they had to meet up at a waypoint instead of having the instance portal being taken to them? They'd either need these doors or some other system.
  • There's the benefits of reduced chat box spam, LFG panel groups, and being able to cater to people who have their map chat turned off. Handling things outside of the user interface can be helpful in these regards.
  • Social gathering. Players tend to gather at certain points inside of the game. The current most used social features are actually chairs and tonics. You'll see players sitting outside of the bank of Divinity's Reach. With these doors, these players will be able to literally go door to door to see interesting things!
  • Advertising Janthir Wilds. A F2P player can't really see Janthir Wilds and go "Wow! Where is that from?" without this kind of feature. Every expansion has one of these, except for SOTO. I've never told a new player to buy SOTO for anything, even though SOTO provides additional weapons for classes. Nothing is flashy enough.
Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 2

I'm hoping the'll give us an alternative way to enter our homestead. I just want to click on a gizmo/scroll in my inventory or a button somewhere in the UI.
I'm not interested to do the "I must go, my planet needs me"-thing with summoning a doorway that anyone can see. When I'm in a party and/or want to show off my homestead, sure. BOOM, door. Just going home, no.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Tamahera.1487 said:

I'm hoping the'll give us an alternative way to enter our homestead. I just want to click on a gizmo/scroll in my inventory or a button somewhere in the UI.
I'm not interested to do the "I must go, my planet needs me"-thing with summoning a doorway that anyone can see. When I'm in a party and/or want to show off my homestead, sure. BOOM, door. Just going home, no.

This. The door makes a lot less sense

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I was under the impression that the door persist when you go to your homestead.

It's the exact opposite for me.
Why should the door persist once you left the map? There is no reason for that.

23 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

Why make a door at all if it doesn't? Seems completely pointless.

I addition to what already was said by other users:

Players not in your group can send you a party invite with the door. You on the other hand can visibly offer your homestead this way.
It's a different way of communication than writing in chat.

Perhaps doorways should like a generic post or something, but reveals itself when you interact with it. That way the interfere with the environment as much as possible unless you interact with it directly. Also give it one of the lowest interaction priorities.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

Just wanted to circle back to this to see if anyone has experienced any of the trolling and immersion breaking that people seemed to think would happen?

😂 No, not at all. Then again, I have spent more time in my Homestead than outside. 😉 But seriously, there is no logic to where those doors are allowed to be conjured. ANet needs to make them available everywhere, the current state makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Parasite.5389 said:

Just wanted to circle back to this to see if anyone has experienced any of the trolling and immersion breaking that people seemed to think would happen?

got JW 10 days ago. I've seen exactly ONE player drop a door in front of me... In fact, prior yesterday, I was actually wondering if these doors were visible to other players.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

got JW 10 days ago. I've seen exactly ONE player drop a door in front of me... In fact, prior yesterday, I was actually wondering if these doors were visible to other players.

Yeah, I was about to say the same before I read your post, I have had just one door appear in front of me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2024 at 11:29 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

😂 No, not at all. Then again, I have spent more time in my Homestead than outside. 😉 But seriously, there is no logic to where those doors are allowed to be conjured. ANet needs to make them available everywhere, the current state makes no sense.

Highly likely because people where making those extremely worried posts that the doors will be spammed and abused to annoy other players. Same as not being able to conjure it while in a squad i guess, wich is a bit annoying to me.

• Sad 1

Yeah,  I've noticed there are lots of places where you can't summon the door. What would be great would be if the summon door action could act like a portal scroll to the homestead when the door can't be summoned. Would save a lot of faff.

• Like 1

I like the doors but apparently many people don't want to share their creativity or non existent creativity with me when i click on their door and ask to join their party to look at their house randomly cause i see their door 😄 😄 😄 many turn down my ask to join them instead /cries. heh

• Confused 1