Legendary Relic does not get the new Relic unlocked

7 hours ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

For the issue at hand in WvW, I would merely have a NPC sell cheap relics that are WvW-lock, meaning they only work in WvW.
You would still be able to ignore PvE entirely in WvW if you want to, without tarnishing PvE.

Sell ?

You can already get them for the dirt cheap cost of "Free". Just swap to the JW reward track.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's one thing if they did it originally, but changing how legendary gear works after 10 years of it working differently was not a good idea. Especially when it's coupled in them visibly trying to push new methods of introducing gear grind into the game that was built on the foundation of no gear grind.

It's also a change in gameplay design. Again, originally the whole game was the endgame. Meaning, you were supposed to be able to pick and choose which parts of the game interest you and which do not. There's a reason why for a long time story was pretty much optional. And why, even if entry on new maps is often locked behind story, there are also available some trivially easy ways to bypass that lock.

Now, recently they seem to be moving back from that original idea, with having actual mechanics locked behind story (and not initial chapter either). Weapon mastery, spears, relics... those are not things that should be restricted in this way.

Encroachment on Legendaries being a surety against possible meta changes is just a small piece of much bigger changes in game design. And you don't just push those kind of changes on the 10-year old established core principles.

I'm not advocating for it to change now. That's why I said "I wish they had that idea back in HoT".

And I also have lines about playing WvW while ignoring PvE. Did you read anything I wrote?

"Encroachment on Legendaries" is not real. You don't lose anything from ANet philosophy evolving.

• Confused 3

On 8/21/2024 at 10:01 AM, TexZero.7910 said:

You can already get them for the dirt cheap cost of "Free". Just swap to the JW reward track.

At the moment you can get one "for free" in WvW, because the WvW Janthir rewards track (one-time, there is no repeatable, yet) gives you one "Janthir Wilds Gear Box" where you can select one relic out of a choice of six (and other items, of course).

Still, I disagree with the OP

EDIT: Since the last update, there is a repeatable Janthir WvW reward track. So all new relics can be obtained/unlocked in WvW without having to play PvE. This completely resolves the OP's complaint.

Edited by Zok.4956

16 hours ago, Meridian.4983 said:

Sure it is, you can swap it to anything you have unlocked, any time you're out of combat.

Never had to unlock stats or rune sets or sigils to use my legendaries before.

It's an expensive exotic armory, nothing more.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Legendary armory only added to and enhanced what was before. It didn't go against it.

It went far beyond that. It scaled and multiplied legendary availability X-fold. So as far as changing how legendries work, this qualifies many times over, even if in this case you might agree with the change.

Something which as it turns out now must be a detriment to the game going by the metrics the developers have, or they would not try to reign it in, multiple times by now.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Legendary armory only added to and enhanced what was before. It didn't go against it.

The Legy Armory has improved a lot and I don't want to be without it anymore. But what is also clear: the more Legy items you have, the less "getting more Legy items" provides long-term motivation to play content. Example: If you already have 3 sets of legy armor (from PvP, WvW, Raids), you didn't need another set for the Legy functions for all your characters from SotO. And therefore don't play the content for it. And most players (of course there will always be some) are unlikely to build more Legy just for skins.

And because the game is getting old and more and more players have more and more legy gear, Anet has been looking for a way for players with legy gear (here: the legy relic) to acquire new gear/functions. Do I think Anet's chosen path at relics is the best possible? No.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kitty.4806 said:

You never played GW1, have you? That game had skills you needed to unlock by doing certain missions in game. Yeah, you didn't have all options unlocked at the release of an expansion. You had to play the game to get it. You could also cherrypick which ones you wanted and which ones to ignore. Same here. If certain JW relics don't add anything to the gameplay of any of your characters you can just ignore them, period.

Also, saying it's an expensive exotic armory is nothing but focusing on one aspect you don't like, ignoring all the other non-exotic features of the armory. In fact, it has nothing to do with the armory to begin with. You're complaining about acquisition.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

What I like is that they (which I only noticed now) even thought of displaying that there is stuff still to unlock. (I have 5 remaining. Got only one.) They seem to learn a bit what might be convenient/wanted by players. People only going to unlock those will have this as a reminder that there still are some left.

• Like 1

As before they did tell us all back in January, that new relics would need unlocking and it makes more sense to have to unlock something that wasn't already in the game, than to get them all instantly when you log in.

On 8/20/2024 at 7:35 PM, Luthan.5236 said:

Makes sense though. You still have all the convenience feature. Just need to unlock it - otherwise I guess there might just be the veteran players to skip content (associated with unlocking a relic) and then complaining there is not enough content lol.

On 8/21/2024 at 2:03 AM, Kulvar.1239 said:

It's actually a very good thing though. It means having legendary doesn't let you skip content.
I wish they had that idea back in HoT and we had to unlock all the prefixes for legendary gear.

Maybe good quality content by itself should be the motivation to play.

It's a minor annoyance for me so I don't mind. I anyway have a stack of wvw potions saved up for exactly these occasions and eventually I will probably get them conventionally anyway. But it's annoying and I don't like when games go for annoying practices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

It's a minor annoyance for me so I don't mind. I anyway have a stack of wvw potions saved up for exactly these occasions and eventually I will probably get them conventionally anyway. But it's annoying and I don't like when games go for annoying practices.

What is the content you consider "good" and would you agree to throw every of its reward after doing it "because doing it was the reward in itself"?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

That ...
is a matter of taste. A lot of people like "unlocking stuff" (the "completionist" type of player). Makes it more fun when you also unlock the thing for the legendary relic - instead of having it available from the start there.

On the other hand: Raids and stuff can be pretty annoying for a lot of players. And that group content is just what makes people do the "max dps" thing where they actually are in need of the (otherwise optinal) new relics. Should they be mandatory in meta build. I maybe would suggest to make changes there. 😛 (No more raids and strikes.)

Or they just continue the way they go now - making new raids (with optional modi to play it easier with 50 man for a different type of players) and letting the hardcore raiders enjoy  a bit other content every now and then. (When they need to do it to unlock the relics.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Cuks.8241 said:

It's nice to be a dreamer, but then there is the cold reality :

"X content is fun, but that's not rewarding, so don't play it" is the sentence you heard way too much if you stick a bit to the game discussions.

Player nowadays, and more specificaly MMO players, tend to play more for reward than pleasure (of course, content can have both)

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Kitty.4806 said:

This is life after we found out wizards are real though, and we all knew it was coming. 
Expensive Exotic armory = Legendary armory ?

🤔

makes sense, working as intended…

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

What is the content you consider "good" and would you agree to throw every of its reward after doing it "because doing it was the reward in itself"?

I play plenty, mostly older games with no rewards besides beating the game or your oponent.

In gw2 I play all game modes and do consider most of them good but lately more competitive modes. Good combat and build systems can take a game a long way.

Naturaly in mmorpg games character progression also with items is important but Im more inclined towards big boss drops big sword. Participation or grind rewards just feel lesser. Sure ill go for them if they improve my characters but they dont add to good experience. I dont care much for cosmetics.

After I quit wow I thought Ill  never  play mmorpg again because of the senseless grind. But gw2 won me over just because I dont need  to constantly upgrade gear and legendary was the ultimate solution for this (and spvp amulets). But now they're breaking that mold with relic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I play plenty, mostly older games with no rewards besides beating the game or your oponent.

In gw2 I play all game modes and do consider most of them good but lately more competitive modes. Good combat and build systems can take a game a long way.

Naturaly in mmorpg games character progression also with items is important but Im more inclined towards big boss drops big sword. Participation or grind rewards just feel lesser. Sure ill go for them if they improve my characters but they dont add to good experience. I dont care much for cosmetics.

After I quit wow I thought Ill  never  play mmorpg again because of the senseless grind. But gw2 won me over just because I dont need  to constantly upgrade gear and legendary was the ultimate solution for this (and spvp amulets). But now they're breaking that mold with relic.

And you never had to farm a berzerker armor ever again after getting an ascended/legendary one.

Having to do achievements to unlock new things is not the same as a gear treadmill.

On 8/21/2024 at 8:21 AM, yoni.7015 said:

They are not locked behind story. You can get them in WvW without having to play story. That’s what I did. 

You say that as if you got all of them already via WvW. The only options I see is the vendor that only sells them after they've been unlocked. The second thing I can think of is via WvW reward tracks, but you would've had to do that 6 times to get all of them. That would seem impossible in one day.

So what am I missing here?

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

You say that as if you got all of them already via WvW. The only options I see is the vendor that only sells them after they've been unlocked. The second thing I can think of is via WvW reward tracks, but you would've had to do that 6 times to get all of them. That would seem impossible in one day.

So what am I missing here?

PVE player probably can`t unlock all of them in 1 day either. Why should WvW path be easier?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1