Wintersday Mounts (Yay!)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really kinda wanted the plushy griffon look for my mount, and plushy versions of all the other mounts. I don't like when xmass stuff is too wintery because I live in the southern hemisphere and everything is on fire down here in my country.

@Danikat.8537 said:I'm very happy with the price and the total absence of RNG and ok with buying a matching set together.

Unfortunately once again I doubt I'm going to buy them because I don't like the flickering snow effect and the clothes just look silly to me (and not in a fun way, more like someone made a set of perfectly nice Wintersday themed mounts and then was pressured to just keep adding bits until they ran out of space on the mount). If it was possible to buy these without the clothes and ideally without the snow effect I'd get them in a second.

It's annoying. All I want is a set of dyable mounts which I could use all the time - not novelty holiday themed ones. It seems like the simplest thing to make to me and when PoF was announced (and I assumed there would be mount skins in the gem store) I was expecting to have 2 or 3 different sets by now, but instead I'm still using the defaults because the only skins I like are locked behind a horrible gambling system.

I call that... The Dandruff aura!

I really like the wintersday skins....but: i dont know if i buy them or not...My Favorite Mount is the skimmer and i totally love the design of the wintersday skin, the scarf, the bells, the colours, the pattern, the gift ribbon, everything is perfect....ehh....ok not everything, there is one thing that drives me crazy...it is the christmas hat.....why is it there? it is christmas and the bells, the pattern, the gift ribbon and the scarf are telling me: hey look i am a perfect, wonderfull christmas mount...but that christmas hat is (for me) a little bit over the top, like someone was saying: lets see what could we add that makes it even more screaming christmas...i like the other skins totally, but the skimmer is my decision if i buy it or not...and lets be honest that hat is not on the head...it is on the side of the head ( i think it is supposed to be cute...the springer is cute)...and it looks like the eye of the skimmer on the side with the hat cant see anything....like i put an eye patch on the skimmer...and christmas screaming eyepatch....

Soo i would really love to buy the pack, but i also really would love to erase the christmas hat on the skimmer....(i think in the end i will buy it anyway, but i am not sure if i use the skimmer skin i would, without the christmas hat, but the others: yes, i really love the jackal skin.... <3 )

The price of 1600 gems for five skins sounds very fair to me. It's nice to see that ArenaNet will continue to follow the model they used for the Halloween pack.

I would gladly buy the wintersday mount skins... If I liked them. They are very well done, but they're simply not for me (IMO, they're a bit over the top).

I would kill for a Simple Mount Skins pack. Just the five basic mount skins, but with all four dye channels. I would gladly pay 1600 to 2000 for a pack like that.

@Esterie.7409 said:

@"Menadena.7482" said:Not me unfortunately. Not all the skins look usable beyond the holidays and the griffon one is pointless without that mount. I am holding out for the ability to purchase individual skins at a reasonable price (like we had with gliders).

Same here. I was anticipating a general winter-themed skin pack (subtle pattern with snow particle effect) and have been saving my gems since mount skins became a thing for such a pack. I'm personally not keen on the "decorations" on these skins. I just don't like the overt "Christmas" vibe with the Santa hat and bells. Like you said, even if the skins were free I wouldn't use them outside of Wintersday. At least the Halloween pack could be dyed in such a way to hide the skeleton pattern.

That said, I think the price point for mount skin packs is at a good place. Obviously indivdual skins at the same price of gliders would have been the ideal, but I digress. It's just the aesthetics for this particular pack are.... not my cup of tea.

Edit: After seeing the new glacial Black Lion weapon skins, imagine a mount set based on that. Vaguely icy and frosty - I would buy that in a heartbeat!Aye, for that investment, I'd want to be able to use the skins year-round. The Spooky mount skins of course can be camouflauged, but there's no way to hide the Christmas gear on the Wintersday mount skins. I actually
was
picturing something more along the lines of skins based on the Glacial weapon set- something icy/frosty. Well, 1600 gems saved, I guess.

The earmuffs are a bit odd, that's not how earmuffs work. And I swear the jackal looks like it wants to eat whoever put the red nose on it. :p Overall I like them much more than the Halloween ones, but I too won't buy them because they're too niche for me ... I prefer skins that look like they belong in the world, year-round, and at (the otherwise totally fine for a bundle IMO!) price this sort of niche skin isn't for me.

Cheers to the art team for the charming skins though. :) I'd still really really like to see a sylvari/charr/norn-themed take on the mounts, not too showy or flashy but distinctly of those cultures. Then the sylvari pack at least would be an instant purchase.

I liked the spooky ones because you could dye them and hide the bones. On my necromancer, I have dyed them in all shadow abyss, so they look like they're made of black smoke. You can't get that cool effect on the other skins.This wintersday mount pack though.... it's a little TOO festive. The Griffon for instance. If it just had the nice scarf, the fancy saddle, and the bells near its tail I would love to have it. But the ear muffs and booties make it look less "comfy" and more "cheesy"

They are great, my first mount pack!

I was playing with the dyes, and you can really color out all the designs. You'll still have the snowflake effect, but if you did red or black or something like that, it looks pretty trippy (<- sorry auto-correct, trippy is real). I guess like the hat on the raptor can't really go anywhere though. I might use the griffon afterwards. Probably the rabbit too.

I have to agree. The price for the pack would be fine, if the skins were desirable. The art department, or those directing them, ruined the appeal by going overboard with the tacky holiday tack.

I hope this isn't the trend, "sure, we will give you some reasonable priced packs, but expect them to have extremely limited appeal. If you want a decent skin, 2000 gems or roll on random boxes. keke" ...

@Menadena.7482 said:Not me unfortunately. Not all the skins look usable beyond the holidays and the griffon one is pointless without that mount. I am holding out for the ability to purchase individual skins at a reasonable price (like we had with gliders).

Speaking as someone that has frequented the cash shop for others items recently, THIS.

Its just one of those things where we hope enough of us dont give them money and they adjust how these items are sold. If enough agree with the OP then they make their gross sales for the quarter, the game stays healthy, we get more new content, and then we all move on... no biggie.

@Erasculio.2914 said:The price of 1600 gems for five skins sounds very fair to me. It's nice to see that ArenaNet will continue to follow the model they used for the Halloween pack.

If we figure a fair price for a single is the glider, ie 500, it works. Although lets be honest, not everyone has the griffon so really you are talking 400/skin, which puts it in line with the lootboxes.

The annoyance is that they are in a pack. For that price you are pretty much getting into whale territory and for everyone else all the skins need to be good or no sale. They would make a killing if they sold these skins individually because everyone would splurge 5$ on a festival one-off, but as soon as you start saying it will be $20 people start taking a close look at every skin and how much they will be using all of their mounts (not just one a lot) in the next few weeks.

@Jasmine.8195 said:

@"Menadena.7482" said:Not me unfortunately. Not all the skins look usable beyond the holidays and the griffon one is pointless without that mount. I am holding out for the ability to purchase individual skins at a reasonable price (like we had with gliders).

Speaking as someone that has frequented the cash shop for others items recently, THIS.

Its just one of those things where we hope enough of us dont give them money and they adjust how these items are sold. If enough agree with the OP then they make their gross sales for the quarter, the game stays healthy, we get more new content, and then we all move on... no biggie.

Of course, the other side of the coin is that enough find it's reasonable and those that consider it too much either consider such things as superficial luxuries (which they are) and go without or adjust their expectations and agree to the new status quo.

One comment I'm a tad surprised at is how these seasonal items are being labled as "too seasonal". Not saying you're wrong but, look at so many other marketed things out there. Heck, look at the Holiday itself! It's one reason I do not like Christmas, because it's so overly marketed and preys on the acceptance of consumerism...

And I'm buying this pack, not because of the season or anything, it's just the griffon and Springer are adorable...

I have a question on my Springer Mount, why when I go into enemy territory searching for Lost Lore in Elona or a Mastery Point my Springer jumps straight up not forward or to the spot I want to hit. If I can't climb a mountain to get over to the area I need to it would be nice if My Springer would do more then just jump straight up. is there a key I need to hit for it to go forward or what? Would appreciate any input Please.

@Alexander Thorsen.3147 said:I have a question on my Springer Mount, why when I go into enemy territory searching for Lost Lore in Elona or a Mastery Point my Springer jumps straight up not forward or to the spot I want to hit. If I can't climb a mountain to get over to the area I need to it would be nice if My Springer would do more then just jump straight up. is there a key I need to hit for it to go forward or what? Would appreciate any input Please.

If you press the movement button in the direction you're trying to go while it's charging it's jump, it will turn in place and, if nothing is obscuring your vertical, it will arc your jump in that direction. I believe you can partially control the angle of the arc if you start pressing the direction you want to go just before it's about to leave (for a shallow arc) or at the beginning of the charge (wider arc)

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Alexander Thorsen.3147 said:I have a question on my Springer Mount, why when I go into enemy territory searching for Lost Lore in Elona or a Mastery Point my Springer jumps straight up not forward or to the spot I want to hit. If I can't climb a mountain to get over to the area I need to it would be nice if My Springer would do more then just jump straight up. is there a key I need to hit for it to go forward or what? Would appreciate any input Please.

If you press the movement button in the direction you're trying to go while it's charging it's jump, it will turn in place and, if nothing is obscuring your vertical, it will arc your jump in that direction. I believe you can partially control the angle of the arc if you start pressing the direction you want to go just before it's about to leave (for a shallow arc) or at the beginning of the charge (wider arc)

This includes holding forward while jumping. Once you're pressing the charge-up-jump key, then also hold down your forward key (or pair of mouse buttons) while aiming yourself where you want to go. I can spin my camera to the intended jump direction, press B (my mount action skill), and press LMB/RMB together and hold them until the jump is complete, and I arc nicely.

@"Ceridwen.6703" said:Actually, yeah. I wish they could be purchased individually. Can't afford the whole lot right now. :'(

Does anyone know if the red parts can be dyed?

Yep! Here's my Springer https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/149652082784206849/390619333560107009/CozySpringer.JPGI've dyed it on a few alts, gone gold tones on one, as you see on this one, and for once I like the Springer skin most of the set. Normally I'm against putting human-style clothing on animals (RL anyway, I don't understand costumes for pets), but somehow it works here.

Archived