How old are you? (take 2)

Daddicus.6128

@Rpgtabbycat.5869 said:I'm honestly surprised there aren't more teenagers playing. I'm not a teen but I just find that statistic interesting. Also surprised by the number of pre-teens. I thought that count would be 0.

Someone shown their child who did not look older than 10 beating Mad King Jumping Puzzle during October, so it would be a few I would assume.

I'm an old man trapped in a young man's body. I'm nearly blind, partially deaf, generally ill, etc.

What makes me feel the old is the fact that all of my hobbies are slowly dying off, by the genre. Two in particular are card games and MMOs. The average CCG/TCG player and the average MMO player are in the same age demographic: mine. Late 20s and up. There aren't a lot of new people coming in to the market, so eventually the entire genre is going to be aged out. It is interesting how narrow these age ranges can be. If you were born before 1980, then MMOs are children's stuff and you have more important things to do. But if You're born after 2000, then MMOs are just some antiquated thing that isn't on your smartphone or tablet. There is a narrow window where MMOs and CCGs were awesome, and if you weren't born in that window you've missed the boat.

Getting the younger generation interest is pretty hard, too. "Hey, Kids! Do you want to play with pieces of cardboard with pictures of dragons on them? It'll only take a week to learn all the rules, but then you can make-believe that you're on an obscure TV show that airs in a foreign nation." I imagine the MMO market is a little easier, but compared to IOS games an MMO seems nigh unassailable. At least I think that's what the kids are doing nowadays.

@Rpgtabbycat.5869 said:I'm honestly surprised there aren't more teenagers playing. I'm not a teen but I just find that statistic interesting. Also surprised by the number of pre-teens. I thought that count would be 0.Not everyone comes to the forum. In my family, three of us are playing GW2, mostly on a daily basis. I'm the only one that posts on (or even reads the) forums. There's an age difference of 36 years between the oldest and youngest of us, so no matter where I put my vote, the outcome will not reflect the whole household but only one part of it.

Btw, in my (casual) guild there is an age difference of 53 years between the oldest and youngest member ;) .

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Rpgtabbycat.5869 said:I'm honestly surprised there aren't more teenagers playing. I'm not a teen but I just find that statistic interesting. Also surprised by the number of pre-teens. I thought that count would be 0.

Less access to a gaming pc, Id imagine?Most teenagers I know don't have their own pc..or long enough access to one.

Probably. When I was a teenager I had to share a PC with my whole family. Between that and dial-up internet it meant I was allowed to play Ultima Online for 2 hours a week. Unsurprisingly I never really got anywhere in that game. My sister did alright, but she only ever left town to find materials to craft with. She spent most of her time crafting stuff and selling it. (And scamming newbies until me and my brother found out and put a stop to it. Not that we cared about anyone gullible enough to be scammed by a 7 year old, but we were all on the same account.)

Of course back then it was somewhat unusual to have a PC and internet connection at home at all, but my parents have always been interested in computers. But these days it's becoming less common again, most people I know just use a tablet or even a phone rather than buying a PC.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Pimsley.3681 said:I’m not old enough to know but does age affect dexterity and reaction times? I’ve noticed most of the ESL pro gamers from other games are mostly in their 20s.

Age in most cases, but not all, does affect dexterity. But more than that, it affects stamina and focus, at least in my case. However, since most people don't raid or competitively PvP or WvW, what does it matter?

I'll be 56 soon and I'm part of the first generation that grew up on video games (admittedly a faint shadow of what they have become today). I'm not going to stop playing just because I'm not interested in killing myself raiding. There's plenty of stuff in this game for a guy like me to do.

The builds I tend to make aren't meta builds, but they're more fire and forget builds. Phantasm builds on a chronomancer, for example, rather than a shatter build. I still shatter when I can resummon 2 phantasms, but it's not nearly as active. Daredevil is a very very easy build, using staff and dual pistol, for people who want to take it easier and still clear content.

I tend to stay away from eles and engies, not that I never play them but I don't play them as much or as hard. My engie is using a flame thrower build that works quite nicely that I call fire and forget. lol

56 is still young. It’s the new 36 haha. First generation gamer? That means you played the Atari 2600? My dad had one!

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Pimsley.3681 said:I’m not old enough to know but does age affect dexterity and reaction times? I’ve noticed most of the ESL pro gamers from other games are mostly in their 20s.

Well, younger gamers are all thumbs when they have to move with WASD or arrow keys.

“all thumbs” is that a UK phrase/idiom? I am American but heard Hyacinth Bucket say it in one of the Keeping up Appearances episode. My parents love that show. It used to be on Netflix

@Taygus.4571 said:

Not just age, general health, diet, fitness...and even being tired will affect dexterity/reaction.Being tired will actually affect it quite a bit, hence why it's actually considered unsafe to drive when exhausted.

I’ve heard some of the popular streamers say the same thing.

@Cynz.9437 said:I actually wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players were somewhere between 20-50 because a lot of GW2 players come from GW1.

You’re probably right. However, the weird thing was that when GW2 had a competitive scene 2013-16, some of the players in NA couldn’t join because they were underage or couldn’t participate because of school. A couple GW2 streamers I follow are 18 and 20.

@Pimsley.3681 said:

@Cynz.9437 said:I actually wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players were somewhere between 20-50 because a lot of GW2 players come from GW1.

You’re probably right. However, the weird thing was that when GW2 had a competitive scene 2013-16, some of the players in NA couldn’t join because they were underage or couldn’t participate because of school. A couple GW2 streamers I follow are 18 and 20.

Just because community consist of players from previous game, doesn't mean new players don't join. I personally didn't play GW1, i started to play GW2 because of pvp specifically (when it was still good and had hopes). However i know a lot of players that came to GW2 because of GW1. It is kind of same with WoW: it had faithful playerbase that came from wc3/starcraft.

@Cynz.9437 said:

Just because community consist of players from previous game, doesn't mean new players don't join. I personally didn't play GW1, i started to play GW2 because of pvp specifically (when it was still good and had hopes). However i know a lot of players that came to GW2 because of GW1. It is kind of same with WoW: it had faithful playerbase that came from wc3/starcraft.

Funny we’re on the same boat. I didn’t play the first GW and I jumped the GW2 pvp bandwagon in 2012 because of my guildies from an iPad MMORPG.

@Cynz.9437 said:

I once played starcraft and warcraft 3 (also 1 and 2, yes im game vet age :p ) and now guildwars (first 1 and then 2) . Funny fact the founders/first generation of anet devs have their roots in that blizzard games (and the creation of Battlenet :) )

I played WoW a day and a half and got extremely bored. I played Lineage 2 a few hours and got extremely bored. I only played GW1 because the good promotion people made of it in these forums, but I didn't liked the game at all, so I dumped it to get back to GW2.I'm 39 years old and I love this game.Not all the players who didn't played GW1 are young.

@Pimsley.3681 said:

Well, younger gamers are all thumbs when they have to move with WASD or arrow keys.

“all thumbs” is that a UK phrase/idiom? I am American but heard Hyacinth Bucket say it in one of the Keeping up Appearances episode. My parents love that show. It used to be on Netflix

Maybe I picked it up from that show? Pretty sure it is an idiom used in the US too though.

@Pimsley.3681 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:It's kind of silly to me since I rest at the end of one bracket while I'm less than a a year away from being the youngest in another.

Kind of seems like I don't belong to a group.

Ha It’s like people born in the late 70s. Too young to be a genXer, too old to be a millennial

That's me, I guess this explains why I started living my adult life like a millennial before they perfected it.

@Pimsley.3681 said:

"All thumbs" means basically to be clumsy/uncoordinated (similar to "I can't dance, I have two left feet!"). It probably originated somewhere in the UK, as I'm Australian and have heard that saying growing up.

Grew up watching that show too. It used to be on actual television here ;)

@Pimsley.3681 said:

It stands to reason IRL fitness and diets can affect reaction times and decision making. As you get older, you slowly but steadily fall apart.

Yeah I’m hoping that my diet and exercise would slow down the aging process. The idea of falling apart is frightening yet a sad reality.Diet and exercise do make a difference... but it needs to be the right kind of diet (low cholesterol and roughage) and the right kind of exercise program (I recommend free weights).For males, we start losing 1-2% of our muscle mass every year about the time we hit 40, plus testosterone levels drop dramatically. Your metabolism is heavily influenced by the amount of muscle mass and by your testosterone. A pound of fat, for instance, only burns one or two calories per day; a pound of muscle burns five or six calories per day, so it is important to maintain your muscle mass. Side benefits of weight training: stronger tendons and ligaments, making you less likely to incur injuries; and more bone mass which equates to more cartilage at the joints and more bone marrow. More bone marrow means you have higher red blood cell production which equates to better transport of oxygen and nutrients throughout your body (and better removal of the effects of "work" by your muscles), plus more white blood cells. Add in some cardiovascular workouts and your aerobic capacity dramatically increases.You won't necessarily live longer since genetics is a significant factor in your longevity, but quality of life is much better if you maintain a reasonable level of fitness. Real fitness, not rationalized fitness... Your eyesight is still going to fade; your reflexes will slow to some extent; the girls will start calling you a "dirty old man" no matter what; but at least you'll live long enough to become a "dirty old man"...At my age (yes, I'm one of the old farts) I doubt I could remember what to do with a girl if I ever caught one, anyway... ;)