Revived Caladbolg- Worth it?

Hello GW2 fourms!

I just finished the HoT story, and I just talked to Ridhais about reviving Trahearne's broken caladbolg. From my understanding, you get it as a weapon, but is it really worth it? It seems like getting all those other things in the collection might be pretty difficult. Please let me know your opinions!

-Kat and Asatarrat Frostfang

@Donari.5237 said:It's an almost free ascended weapon that you can toggle between five weapon types for a pittance of unbound magic. I'd say it's worth it. Doing the quest the first time gets you the expensive things -- it only gets pricey if you want more than one at a time.

What @Donari.5237 said plus...It's among the favorite "side quests" and collections of many, many, many players. I've seen folks who never post take time to praise the way it unfolds lore related to a named weapon. Others like how it makes in-game lore relevant to an in-game activity (such as a collection). Others liked how it was a compact set of requirements, that combined a modest amount of time, a modest challenge, and a modest amount of materials.

Or in shorter terms: it's fun, it's useful, and it's fun.

Yes, it is 1000% worth it. It is a great sidequest and a huge reward for the effort you have to put in. It really doesn't take much to acquire. It is also great because for 1000 unbound magic you can trade it in to either change the weapon type and/or even just reset the stats. All core and HoT stats are available for these weapons, so it is an extremely easy and cheap way of getting ascended weapons with expensive stats. 1000 unbound magic takes no effort at all to get at Bitterfrost Frontier, so the value of doing the quest (which you can do on all characters that complete HoT story) is absolutely worth it. If you are worried about the work involved, just look up the Dulfy guide.

I agree with everyone else. The collection isn't as difficult as it might seem, it's literally just a matter of reaching a specific point in the world (none of which are in jumping puzzles or mini dungeons, or in Fractals or whatever) and if you're not able to work out where to go from the hints the Wiki has the exact locations. I really enjoyed doing it.

I also made a 2nd one (because I wanted to try the process for repeat weapons, and I wanted both a sword and a dagger) and although it is more expensive and I think it needs level 500 crafting it's relatively cheap and very easy for making an ascended weapon.

I liked it as a sidequest. It is a timesink to traverse across tyria to gather the bits, but once that is done (plenty of good guides online) it is a fairly short step to complete it. The instanced battles in the following steps are quite short and entertaining also. Might take you by suprise if you are not careful. I liked that it felt like a small story dlc, and not yet-another-achievmentlist.

Really hope they do more content like this in the future.

Hi, please i need an answer about this weapon, i unlocked the quest and obtained the scepter caladbolg, but now i want the dagger and sword for my Warrior and Thief. My question would be if i need to redo the whole personal HoT History with two characters in order to get those two weapons and craft them or search for the items needed from the first mission? i don't want the skins only but the weapons themself.English is not my first language :-)

@"amanzot.3728" said:Hi, please i need an answer about this weapon, i unlocked the quest and obtained the scepter caladbolg, but now i want the dagger and sword for my Warrior and Thief. My question would be if i need to redo the whole personal HoT History with two characters in order to get those two weapons and craft them or search for the items needed from the first mission? i don't want the skins only but the weapons themself.English is not my first language :-)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Knight_of_the_Thorn#Notes

• 6 months later...

@"Mad Dog Nasty.1829" said:I'm about to craft my first caladbolg - orchid. Then I saw: "Players gain Caladbolg as a transformation that replaces the player's equipment attributes, profession mechanics and specialization traits with Caladbolg and its skills"https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Caladbolg at the Notes.Excuse me..?

I think they are referring to the Sylvari personal story where you use Caladbolg to fight Mazdak the Accursed. The Caladbolg you get from the Knight of Thorns quest works like any other greatsword (or whatever form you take it as.)

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@"Mad Dog Nasty.1829" said:I'm about to craft my first caladbolg - orchid. Then I saw: "Players gain Caladbolg as a transformation that replaces the player's equipment attributes, profession mechanics and specialization traits with Caladbolg and its skills"
at the Notes.Excuse me..?

I think they are referring to the Sylvari personal story where you use Caladbolg to fight Mazdak the Accursed. The Caladbolg you get from the Knight of Thorns quest works like any other greatsword (or whatever form you take it as.)

I have a very, very short list of gear that I will NOT transmute to other things, and nor will I transmute other things to their skin. That list is:

• Caladbolg Orchida (or whatever other Caladbolg variant I have on a character, but so far, I have only one, the GS on a human DH.)
  • Banner of the Dauntless Commander

(OK, any Legendary as well, but for a very different reason. Transmuting a legendary to something else seems to defeat the very purpose of a legendary, and transmuting an ordinary to a legendary is dishonest. The two above are ... special.)

Archived