Thank you for listening, ANet. (Re: Mount Adoption Licenses)

Again a step in the right direction, good that there's an option to pay extra to get the skin you want rather than be limited to RNG, and I think 1200 gems for the choice rather than 400gems x RNG required for desired skin, is fine. But, the only skin I still want in the whole game is the Jackal Twin Sands one, and I still can't get that unless I play the RNG game?! Please make a 1200 gem option to choose from the original set!!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Deihnyx.6318 said:And just as expected, people are still complaining.ANET did listen, they did remove the RNG factor, but I guess the problem wasn't really RNG after all :-)

Anet: Sell it 400G/500G in game. These people will never stop complaining, but maybe they will be fooled by that. They don't complain about RNG in game anyway.

u retarded or it's joke ? NO RNG mean 400 gems for SKIN u want!!! not 400 for rng one and 1200 for one u want...

As long as their is a choice other than gambling and they make it clear they are selling mount skins in the description, they can/should charge those skins up the wazoo. Rake in all the money they can get. This is how you fund an MMORPG. I just hope all that income primarily goes to either “GW 2: The Wrath of Bubbles” Expansion or GW 3 ;) and not to fund excessive vacationing, amateur writing, inflated egos, class nerfing, and further Braham development.

@Calafalass.3486 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:And just as expected, people are still complaining.ANET did listen, they did remove the RNG factor, but I guess the problem wasn't really RNG after all :-)

Anet: Sell it 400G/500G in game. These people will never stop complaining, but maybe they will be fooled by that. They don't complain about RNG in game anyway.

u kitten or it's joke ? NO RNG mean 400 gems for SKIN u want!!! not 400 for rng one and 1200 for one u want...

No I don't. People were complaining about RNG being the only option, Anet added an alternative option. It's very fair. Play RNG or buy, like a LOT of things in this game.Even glider skins aren't that cheap.

Should have just said you wanted everything to be dirt cheap, I knew it was all about that for some people anyway :)

Also giving huge respect to ArenaNet for this option. I spent a fair bit on the original mount adoption licenses and I never got a Springer that I was truly happy with. I'll gladly drop 1200 gems here knowing that I'll not only get a guaranteed Springer, but the best Springer mount for me that's available in the pack. Great stuff.

Like others have said, it's a step in the right direction, but it's far from good. Letting people finally choose is a good idea, but making the RNG option way more affordable baits in people who don't have enough for the higher priced choice, and they're still likely to get screwed. I really don't see why all the skins can't be released individually.

I mean, glider skins never had pseudo loot boxes. They were added to the gem store one by one, and you bought the one you wanted. And not to mention, a handful are obtainable in-game. Why are mount skins treated differently?

1200 gems is still expensive but a lot more reasonable than the 2000 they were trying to get away with and probably lost a lot of business in the process.

I love how all the people saying the price was fine were using the argument that they hadn't change the price yet as evidence that the mounts were priced fairly, because, you know, Anet is a company and therefore knows everything. Well, take that, 2000 gem mount skin white knights.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:1200 gems is still expensive but a lot more reasonable than the 2000 they were trying to get away with and probably lost a lot of business in the process.

I love how all the people saying the price was fine were using the argument that they hadn't change the price yet as evidence that the mounts were priced fairly, because, you know, Anet is a company and therefore knows everything. Well, take that, 2000 gem mount skin white knights.

There's still going to be 2000 gem mount skins, and people are still gonna buy them.Because the 2000 gem skins require more work, they're not just a texturing like many of the adoptable skins.

And a company might not know everything, but they sure as hell can decide of their price. What knows everything is the market itself. If 2000 gems offers a profitable margin for Anet, there's no reason for them to drop the price.Also, the point of premium skins is to be... premium. If tomorrow everyone has them, it will lose its value (even though all that value is basically bragging) so while yes, they could potentially make more money by selling more for cheaper, it doesn't mean it's what they're gonna do with premium mounts.

@SmirkDog.3160 said:Like others have said, it's a step in the right direction, but it's far from good. Letting people finally choose is a good idea, but making the RNG option way more affordable baits in people who don't have enough for the higher priced choice, and they're still likely to get screwed. I really don't see why all the skins can't be released individually.

I mean, glider skins never had pseudo loot boxes. They were added to the gem store one by one, and you bought the one you wanted. And not to mention, a handful are obtainable in-game. Why are mount skins treated differently?

Thats the point. If there wasnt any licenses ud still pay close to 1k for the mounts, this just gives u a choice.

I really like what they've done with this set. Would love to see the original set modified to have the same mechanics as this one.
The price for a mount-select license is perfect. I suspect that Arenanet probably based it on data from the initial run where they found that the majority of players would buy at most 3 skins before giving up and never buying again. 1200 is an absolutely fair price for choosing the one you want.I haven't looked at the skins yet, but I hope they are designed well and that they have started to push 4 dye channels for each. In my opinion it is a balance of price and quality.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:1200 gems is still expensive but a lot more reasonable than the 2000 they were trying to get away with and probably lost a lot of business in the process.

Ill see ya when the next 2.something mount comes out. These 1.2k gems because according to anet arent up to par with the 2.something ones.

Did anyone really expect to get cheap choosable skins? The prices make sense, otherwise nobody would take the rng-method anymore.

If you want one certain skin for each mount its still cheaper to buy all via rng-passes. This way, the rng-way is still a good option. Meanwhile, people who only want one or two skins can get the guaranteed ones. Its a good solution imo.

@SmirkDog.3160 said:Like others have said, it's a step in the right direction, but it's far from good. Letting people finally choose is a good idea, but making the RNG option way more affordable baits in people who don't have enough for the higher priced choice, and they're still likely to get screwed.

Gotta disagree there. The minimum price for buying gems in the first place is high enough that if you aren't stopping to think whether you need a premium mount skin, you probably have budgeting issues in the first place.

Ah, the old argument of ‚the others‘!

I don’t give a damn about others.If they skrew around with players money and RNG, fine, I don’t care (well, in broader terms of the gaming world itself, I sure do).

1200g = 15$/€ <- wtf?! Are you even listening to yourself, 15$/€ for a skin?When the whole expansion was 60/80?!(or 30, the cheap one, right?)

If it’d be 500/700, like all the other skins, sure. I’d buy 3-5, maybe even more, which would be reasonable PLUS more income for ANet in the end.

But with RNG as cheap bait and ridiculous pricing for ‘choosing’, I’m keeping my money and it’s none/zero/nada in the end!

@Matick.4132 said:Ah, the old argument of ‚the others‘!

I don’t give a kitten about others.If they skrew around with players money and RNG, fine, I don’t care (well, in broader terms of the gaming world itself, I sure do).

1200g = 15$/€ <- kitten?! Are you even listening to yourself, 15$/€ for a skin?When the whole expansion was 60/80?!(or 30, the cheap one, right?)

If it’d be 500/700, like all the other skins, sure. I’d buy 3-5, maybe even more, which would be reasonable PLUS more income for ANet in the end.

But with RNG as cheap bait and ridiculous pricing for ‘choosing’, I’m keeping my money and it’s none/zero/nada in the end!

Ok.

I don’t give a kitten about others.If they skrew around with players money and RNG, fine, I don’t care (well, in broader terms of the gaming world itself, I sure do).

1200g = 15$/€ <- kitten?! Are you even listening to yourself, 15$/€ for a skin?When the whole expansion was 60/80?!(or 30, the cheap one, right?)

That's your choice.But here's the thing, even if they pushed it down to 800, some people would complain that it's too expensive.You won a battle against RNG, you got a choice now. You choose to answer to that with 100% negativity. Ok, don't be surprised next time.

Somehow I am certain that if these mounts had been sold 500G in game people wouldn't have said a thing.

@"Matick.4132" said:Ah, the old argument of ‚the others‘!

A delightful example in completely missing the point. You must be the kind of person who lists every item in the gem store and goes "OMG $20000000 for the complete game!" when nobody is actually expected to buy everything. In fact, if you don't touch the gem store whatsoever, that's totally fine. It's not for every player.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

There's still going to be 2000 gem mount skins, and people are still gonna buy them.Because the 2000 gem skins require more work, they're not just a texturing like many of the adoptable skins.

And a company might not know everything, but they sure as hell can decide of their price. What knows everything is the market itself. If 2000 gems offers a profitable margin for Anet, there's no reason for them to drop the price.Also, the point of premium skins is to be... premium. If tomorrow everyone has them, it will lose its value (even though all that value is basically bragging) so while yes, they could potentially make more money by selling more for cheaper, it doesn't mean it's what they're gonna do with premium mounts.

Considering I've seen painfully few of those 2k mount skins in game, I'd wager that this 1.2k guaranteed option is the middle ground between 100% RNG and guaranteed 2k gem skins. Compared to gliders and outfits, whenever they release a new one you see those all around. I've seen plenty of skins from the Mount Adoption License pack as well. But those premium skins, very rarely. And considering I've been playing this game on an almost daily basis since launch, I feel safe to say the 2k gem mount skins weren't a success either. In the future I expect more Mount Adoption License packs and themed packs, like the Branded and festival skins. But I'd be surprised to actually see new 2k premium skins appear. They'll probably just keep rotating the 5 that are in the game now and continue with this middle ground practice from now on. With which I would be totally fine.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

That's your choice.But here's the thing, even if they pushed it down to 800, some people would complain that it's too expensive.You won a battle against RNG, you got a choice now. You choose to answer to that with 100% negativity. Ok, don't be surprised next time.

Somehow I am certain that if these mounts had been sold 500G in game people wouldn't have said a thing.

Actually anet would make more money that way. Put all the mount in game. 150 for a random 1 and 450 for the one u want. Nobody would have complained and ppl would buy gems to turn in gold lol.

Personally I never had an issue with the whole adoption licence saga.. I knew that I would get a mount skin for 400 gems and next time I would get something different.. sure there are nice ones and there are nicer ones, but for me that is part of the fun. The fact we were guaranteed increasing odds each time we bought a licence was a step in the right direction.. now with the addition of a guaranteed choice pick, all parties can feel happy ANET actually listened. These two licence routes are far better value than releasing a single mount skin for 2000gems, which imo were not upto the quality I expected for that silly price.. 1200 is much fairer all round.

However I still opted to go random and wow was I pleasantly suprised..1st drop I snagged the Primeval Jackal.. love it -2nd drop I got the Stardrift Skimmer thrown at me - best skimmer skin I have seen, love it lots3rd drop the RNG Gods took pity on me and pushed the Exalted Sky Sentry into my inventory.. love it almost as much as Starbound.

Pretty happy with that tombola, not sure there is anything else I want to punt for now, I have been spoiled early... for 1200 gems total :)

All in all though I think most of the new skins are decent quality for the price.. good job ANET.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Matick.4132" said:Ah, the old argument of ‚the others‘!

Actually anet would make more money that way. Put all the mount in game. 150 for a random 1 and 450 for the one u want. Nobody would have complained and ppl would buy gems to turn in gold lol.

I know right. Sell them with a gold currency as smokescreen and people won't even realize they feed Anet.It will look like "Game content" instead of just gem content.

@"Einlanzer.1627" said:1200 gems is still expensive but a lot more reasonable than the 2000 they were trying to get away with and probably lost a lot of business in the process.

2k mount skins are still on the table. None of new license skins is worth this price (I'd argue they're not worth 1,2k either). 2k skins have significant "value" put into them - new model, move effect, exclusive sound effects. These skins don't have these, meaning they can't be sold for 2k gems.

However, I like this new license collections better than the old one. There is significantly less skins in this one, making RNG more likely to provide desired outcome. Not mentioning feels like these skins are indeed unique, instead of multiple choices in original license where a lot of skins are there only as trash fillers.

A lack of RNG is good (but not praiseworthy since RNG shouldn't have ever been the only option), but 1200 flat is too high for these skins. Maybe for a few of them, but others should be more in the 200-300 range. Also, they still need to make the original 30 available as direct purchase. This is a step in the right direction, but a sort of passive-aggressive half step, like when you tell a child to pick up his room and he just shoves everything into the closet. They still have room to go on this.

Archived