Thank you for listening, ANet. (Re: Mount Adoption Licenses)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people so salty.Anet> look mounts! Cheap!Players> ewwww rng! Just like allow us to get the one we want!Anet> SINGLE MOUNTS!Players> TOO MUCH!!! Ugh! Can’t pay 2k gems for ONE!? Would pay 1200 or 1500, but the current price is too much.Anet> Cheap mounts for RNG, OR the one you want for 1200!!!Players> OH MY GODS! Rng is back! Anet didn’t learn! 1200 is too much for one skin!!! Nooooo!!!!

Let alone that the rng is better each time you get one, and buying all through the rng is cheaper than buying all onebyone. So which is it playerbase? Is it the rng, or is it you’re just too cheap to support the game you love?

ugh not this garbage RNG skin crud again. cant wait until actual regulation on lootboxes happen in the US nowwhile i do appreciate that they have given us an option to bypass the RNG.... 1200 gems is way to much. (RNG pricing should be closer to BLkeys, 125gems-200gems; then a more acceptable price for choose would be ~600)

overall the way mount skins have been implemented since PoF release have been horrid imo, compared to glider skins (which is another expansion exclusive way of mobility)maybe just the game industry continuously shoving lootboxes into games have made me very cynical and distrustworty towards those who use that microtransaction method. my money and gold are staying with me.

@Sorin Noroku.5342 said:Some people so salty.Anet> look mounts! Cheap!Players> ewwww rng! Just like allow us to get the one we want!Anet> SINGLE MOUNTS!Players> TOO MUCH!!! Ugh! Can’t pay 2k gems for ONE!? Would pay 1200 or 1500, but the current price is too much.Anet> Cheap mounts for RNG, OR the one you want for 1200!!!Players> OH MY GODS! Rng is back! Anet didn’t learn! 1200 is too much for one skin!!! Nooooo!!!!

Let alone that the rng is better each time you get one, and buying all through the rng is cheaper than buying all onebyone. So which is it playerbase? Is it the rng, or is it you’re just too cheap to support the game you love?

It's almost like they're savvy consumers who want to pay a fair price for the things they buy! The nerve!

I think RNG is fine, so long as there is a fair direct purchase alternative. The current option is a step in the right direction, but not far enough. They released all 15 skins at 1200 gems. There are maybe a few of them in there that are worth 1200 (as you alluded to, many people were willing to spend 1200 on the 2400 gem mounts, that doesn't mean they would be willing to pay 1200 for any mount), but there are plenty of skins in there that should never be priced at 1200 gems, and I highly doubt anyone will buy them at that price.

They need to set the prices fairly. Of the 15 skins released, maybe have 3-4 of them at 1200 gems. Maybe 2-4 of them at 800. Probably 5-6 of them should be at 200-300 gems, and then the rest should be around 400 gems.

If you want to gamble with the RNG box, that's fine, the gamble should be that you might get one of the higher quality skins at the lower price, but if you just want one of the low or medium quality skins, you shouldn't have to pay the maximum possible price to get it.

I haven't spent any real world money on GW2 since the mount RNG started and having to spend 3x the price for the RNG chance to get the mount I might want hasn't changed my mind. In fact it's pushing me away from buying the next expansion. 600 gems vs 400 is a much more reasonable option. I've spent quit a bit of money on GW1 and GW2 in the past. I want to spend real world money on supporting the game but it's whoever made the decision at this pricing level that's keeping me from doing so.

There's no question they did not listen. They just calculated what they could get away with.

This is exactly the same tactic as last time around. Offer 400 gems for RNG skins. Provide a high-ticket offering (last time it was a 2000 gem premium skin, this time it's a 1200 gem skin) to make the 400 gems for RNG skins seem reasonable. It still isn't.

Im glad they updated it, too bad i bought the branded ones a while ago... anyways, im pretty sure they wont lower the individual price much in the future. According to them the mount skins take a lot of time and effort (and money!) to make, so they will have to be pricier.

They probably know it will sell like water in a desert if its 800 gems each, but thats the problem: most people will just swap gold to gems and buy their skins with in-game earned currency. Anet wont be making much money in that case.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@Sorin Noroku.5342 said:Some people so salty.Anet> look mounts! Cheap!Players> ewwww rng! Just like allow us to get the one we want!Anet> SINGLE MOUNTS!Players> TOO MUCH!!! Ugh! Can’t pay 2k gems for ONE!? Would pay 1200 or 1500, but the current price is too much.Anet> Cheap mounts for RNG, OR the one you want for 1200!!!Players> OH MY GODS! Rng is back! Anet didn’t learn! 1200 is too much for one skin!!! Nooooo!!!!

It's almost like they're savvy consumers who want to pay a fair price for the things they buy! The nerve!

I think RNG is fine, so long as there is a
fair
direct purchase alternative. The current option is a step in the right direction, but not far enough. They released all 15 skins at 1200 gems. There are
maybe
a few of them in there that are worth 1200 (as you alluded to, many people were willing to spend 1200 on the 2400 gem mounts, that doesn't mean they would be willing to pay 1200 for
any
mount), but there are plenty of skins in there that should never be priced at 1200 gems, and I highly doubt anyone will buy them at that price.

They need to set the prices fairly. Of the 15 skins released, maybe have 3-4 of them at 1200 gems. Maybe 2-4 of them at 800. Probably 5-6 of them should be at 200-300 gems, and then the rest should be around 400 gems.

If you want to gamble with the RNG box, that's fine, the gamble should be that you might get one of the higher quality skins at the lower price, but if you just want one of the low or medium quality skins, you shouldn't have to pay the maximum possible price to get it.

Well my friend, look at it this way. If there IS indeed 3-4 skins worth 1,200 gems, that means those 3-4 skins pays for nearly ALL of them! Not to mention a single one at the RNG price is roughly 150g for gold to gems. Personally, I can flip TP and make 100g in ten minutes. That means one mount can be 15 minutes of work. It’s also small goals to work towards. 200g a day is HIGHLY doable.

As far as “savvy consumers” you also need to understand, this is Gw2’s MAIN source of income, this is HOW the game stays afloat. If you love it, support it. If the price is too low, people would just convert gold to gems and all of that hard artistry work would be $0 income for the company. They have to set it high enough to keep their head above water.

Plus, all the people saying before that 1,200gems a skin was the price they wanted to pay, are now having their receipts read back to them when they’re complaining that 1,200gems is too high.

@Ohoni.6057 said:A lack of RNG is good (but not praiseworthy since RNG shouldn't have ever been the only option), but 1200 flat is too high for these skins. Maybe for a few of them, but others should be more in the 200-300 range. Also, they still need to make the original 30 available as direct purchase. This is a step in the right direction, but a sort of passive-aggressive half step, like when you tell a child to pick up his room and he just shoves everything into the closet. They still have room to go on this.

1200 is too much gold to farm, make them 200-300 so a day of doing fractals is enough lol.

@Matick.4132 said:Ah, the old argument of ‚the others‘!

I don’t give a kitten about others.If they skrew around with players money and RNG, fine, I don’t care (well, in broader terms of the gaming world itself, I sure do).

1200g = 15$/€ <- kitten?! Are you even listening to yourself, 15$/€ for a skin?When the whole expansion was 60/80?!(or 30, the cheap one, right?)

If it’d be 500/700, like all the other skins, sure. I’d buy 3-5, maybe even more, which would be reasonable PLUS more income for ANet in the end.

But with RNG as cheap bait and ridiculous pricing for ‘choosing’, I’m keeping my money and it’s none/zero/nada in the end!

You seem to forget that Anet needs constant income to keep the game running and to continue developing it. An expansion pack costing 50-80 bucks isn’t going to cut it. They don’t charge a subscription fee. They charge for cosmetics. $15 for a skin is very reasonable given how inexpensive it is to play this game.

People just want things to be super cheap and are mad when it’s not. Tough luck.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Personally I never had an issue with the whole adoption licence saga.. I knew that I would get a mount skin for 400 gems and next time I would get something different.. sure there are nice ones and there are nicer ones, but for me that is part of the fun. The fact we were guaranteed increasing odds each time we bought a licence was a step in the right direction.. now with the addition of a guaranteed choice pick, all parties can feel happy ANET actually listened. These two licence routes are far better value than releasing a single mount skin for 2000gems, which imo were not upto the quality I expected for that silly price.. 1200 is much fairer all round.

However I still opted to go random and wow was I pleasantly suprised..1st drop I snagged the Primeval Jackal.. love it -2nd drop I got the Stardrift Skimmer thrown at me - best skimmer skin I have seen, love it lots3rd drop the RNG Gods took pity on me and pushed the Exalted Sky Sentry into my inventory.. love it almost as much as Starbound.

Pretty happy with that tombola, not sure there is anything else I want to punt for now, I have been spoiled early... for 1200 gems total :)

All in all though I think most of the new skins are decent quality for the price.. good job ANET.

Yeah, I thought I was done buying mount skins, but too many cool ones in this set. I only saw two or three I didn't want. So I caved in and got the RNG 5-pack deal. Got the awesome exalted griffon, the adorable raccoon griffon, the beta skimmer (looks so cool dyed!), the lightning bunny (doesn't seem to have the special effects, maybe because I have my quality settings on low) and the, uh....boring tri-color raptor. (Must try that one in Neapolitan ice cream colors.) The primeval jackal and that orca skimmer were on my want-it list, but can't expect everything. ^^

The fact that the pool of options is much smaller this time actually makes it so much better. Less choice is not always a good thing, but with RNG, you know...

@Marcaum.1302 said:I want the Peacock mount (didn;t buy it at the time, is it ever going to be available again?)

I'm sure it will be. I think it did come back briefly, and I'm sure it will again, just have to check the shop.

@"Sorin Noroku.5342" said:As far as “savvy consumers” you also need to understand, this is Gw2’s MAIN source of income, this is HOW the game stays afloat. If you love it, support it. If the price is too low, people would just convert gold to gems and all of that hard artistry work would be $0 income for the company. They have to set it high enough to keep their head above water.

You do understand that this is not how gold to gems works, right? ANet does not lose money when you convert gold to gems, they MAKE money. Every gem purchased using gold only exists because some other player was willing to buy gold using gems, as in they spent money. Anet makes more money off of a player converting gold into 400 gems than they would off a player buying 400 gems directly, because they would make exactly the same amount plus the conversion tax. So they don't mind in the slightest it everyone chooses to convert gold to gems, all that would mean to them is that the exchange rate would soar and they'd make more money off it.

And of course I want to support the game, but I also want to see a fair value for my purchase. $15 per skin is too pricey for most of those. $5 per skin is too pricey when I might not get what I want. They need to balance the prices so that they are fair for each skin offered.

Plus, all the people saying before that 1,200gems a skin was the price they wanted to pay, are now having their receipts read back to them when they’re complaining that 1,200gems is too high.

Again, "people" say a lot of things, I certainly was not one of those "people." My stance was consistently that I thought that of the original 30 offered, only a handful might be worth 1200, another handful worth 800, most worth 400, and a few worth only 200. I believe most people saying "they should be 1200" were talking about the 2400 gem "premium" skins.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Matick.4132 said:Ah, the old argument of ‚the others‘!

I don’t give a kitten about others.If they skrew around with players money and RNG, fine, I don’t care (well, in broader terms of the gaming world itself, I sure do).

1200g = 15$/€ <- kitten?! Are you even listening to yourself, 15$/€ for a skin?When the whole expansion was 60/80?!(or 30, the cheap one, right?)

If it’d be 500/700, like all the other skins, sure. I’d buy 3-5, maybe even more, which would be reasonable PLUS more income for ANet in the end.

But with RNG as cheap bait and ridiculous pricing for ‘choosing’, I’m keeping my money and it’s none/zero/nada in the end!

That's your choice.But here's the thing, even if they pushed it down to 800, some people would complain that it's too expensive.You won a battle against RNG, you got a choice now. You choose to answer to that with 100% negativity. Ok, don't be surprised next time.

Somehow I am certain that if these mounts had been sold 500G in game people wouldn't have said a thing.

Actually anet would make more money that way. Put all the mount in game. 150 for a random 1 and 450 for the one u want. Nobody would have complained and ppl would buy gems to turn in gold lol.

This is not necessarily true. Just because a lot of people buy something doesn’t mean it is priced correctly. I’m sure Anet has the relevant information and metrics they need to price their items.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@"Sorin Noroku.5342" said:As far as “savvy consumers” you also need to understand, this is Gw2’s MAIN source of income, this is HOW the game stays afloat. If you love it, support it. If the price is too low, people would just convert gold to gems and all of that hard artistry work would be $0 income for the company. They have to set it high enough to keep their head above water.

You
do
understand that this is not how gold to gems works, right? ANet does not lose money when you convert gold to gems, they MAKE money. Every gem purchased using gold only exists because some other player was willing to buy gold using gems, as in they
spent money.
Anet makes more money off of a player converting gold into 400 gems than they would off a player buying 400 gems directly, because they would make exactly the same amount
plus
the conversion tax. So they don't mind in the slightest it everyone chooses to convert gold to gems, all that would mean to them is that the exchange rate would soar and they'd make more money off it.

And of course I want to support the game, but I also want to see a fair value for my purchase. $15 per skin is too pricey for most of those. $5 per skin is too pricey when I might not get what I want. They need to balance the prices so that they are fair for each skin offered.

Again, "people" say a lot of things, I certainly was not one of those "people." My stance was consistently that I thought that of the original 30 offered, only a handful might be worth 1200, another handful worth 800, most worth 400, and a few worth only 200. I believe most people saying "they should be 1200" were talking about the 2400 gem "premium" skins.

We also need to be reasonable. Other games have a $15 a MONTH charge PER player for a single account AND THEN charge $15-$20 for mounts that are purely cosmetic and for a SINGLE CHARACTER, with $35-$50 for one for the entire account.

Considering our game is free on month to month, and a single skin is $15 for the entire account, this is an incredible deal. GW2 playerbase is just getting REALLY entitled. Don’t want to use real money? Farm gold, the game THROWS IT AT YOU EVERYWHERE!!! 30g/hr palawadan, TP flipping, crafting stuff for food for Raiders, doing wvw/fractals/raids. You seem to think that it’s that expensive for stuff.

There was a post saying “make it use ingame gold” and using “150 for rng, and 450 for single selectable”. Considering current gold>gem prices, that IS PRETTY MUCH the cost.

Also, they DONT make money off of gold>gems, and if they DO, it’s FAR LESS than gems>gold. BECAUSE the game throws gold at you. You can play this game and never buy a single gem and have all this gemstore stuff! There are people that sell raids, they get the money from people farming ectos, they sell ectos to people who make money playing the game, they have 5k gold, they spent $0, and just buy the mounts.

The people who keep the gem=gold prices stable are those who just can’t be bothered to farm more money. Those credit card warriors are what helps the casual players. They keep gems low because they’re being lazy and don’t want to farm gold for mats.

@Isanox.3498 said:With all the negativity and laws being drafted about Loot box gambling, and gambling to minor you think the devs would have learned. But nope. $5 to gamble for a skin or $15 to buy one.

Go play WoW then and pay $15 a month just to play the game good Lord. People ask and beg to have mounts added to the game and they get them. Then people want skins for the mounts, they get them. Then people don't like the mounts are rng, everyone says they'd be happy just to have an option to buy the one skin they wanted even for a higher price, and sure enough here it is and look at that people are still complaining. Get over it and buy the skin you want, or don't in which case you can either go back to enjoying the game just as you were before today because it is a skin and you don't NEED it, or go somewhere else. Pick one, I don't care which, and get over it. I teach 3rd graders who don't whine as much as some of the adults in here. And thank you to all those people who made positive comments about how it's a positive step or your happy with the new option, I might not have lived through all the salt in this thread without your help.

@Sorin Noroku.5342 said:The people who keep the gem=gold prices stable are those who just can’t be bothered to farm more money. Those credit card warriors are what helps the casual players. They keep gems low because they’re being lazy and don’t want to farm gold for mats.

That's all there is to say really.

Look guys, you wanted an alternative way. You got it. Now if you don't like the price, do like literally any other gemstore item that you think is overpriced: Don't buy it.ANY other complain just manage to make you sound like hypocrites. The main complain last time was that it was RNG with no alternative way. You won, don't be salty that it's not exactly what you wanted, some of us warned you that it wouldn't be 400/600 gems for a chosen mount.

Surely if you can ignore the permanent stylist contract, you can ignore that too.

@"Sorin Noroku.5342" said:The people who keep the gem=gold prices stable are those who just can’t be bothered to farm more money. Those credit card warriors are what helps the casual players. They keep gems low because they’re being lazy and don’t want to farm gold for mats.

The other perspective is those "credit card warriors" are buying the gemstore items with money like it was meant to be obtained and have left over gems to trade for so that the farmers that are too poor and cheap to just buy the items they want have options.

@Ohoni.6057 said:They need to set the prices fairly

Subjective opinions of what a 'fair' price is aside - No, they don't. These are premium items which nobody needs and the majority of players won't buy into anyway. The minority who love the game, want to customise their experience and are happy to give Anet a decent tip for their work, though? That's what this is for.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Sorin Noroku.5342 said:The people who keep the gem=gold prices stable are those who just can’t be bothered to farm more money. Those credit card warriors are what helps the casual players. They keep gems low because they’re being lazy and don’t want to farm gold for mats.

That's all there is to say really.

Look guys, you wanted an alternative way. You got it. Now if you don't like the price, do like literally any other gemstore item that you think is overpriced: Don't buy it.ANY other complain just manage to make you sound like hypocrites. The main complain last time was that it was RNG with no alternative way. You won, don't be salty that it's not exactly what you wanted, some of us warned you that it wouldn't be 400/600 gems for a chosen mount.

Surely if you can ignore the permanent stylist contract, you can ignore that too.

You get a company to change their practices by verbalizing your distaste with how they are currently operating.

This wouldn't even be an option if people hadn't told Anet that they didn't like the previous system.

People really need to stop acting like criticism of a for profit corporation is akin to insulting a personal friend.

Archived