To me, a casual, the future of GW2 looks uncertain based off observation of # of players ingame.

@"Mea.5491" said:No offence but your "observation" skills are lacking. GW2 is one of the most popular MMOs, it has a huge playerbase and the future of the game is not uncertain at all, especially if we consider how dead the MMORPG market is right now, there's literally no competition, everything is about the holy four: WoW-FFXIV-GW2-ESO. Go to the MMORPG sub on Reddit, ask what game to play and they will recommend these 4 because they are the "healthiest" MMOs. There's nothing "uncertain" about GW2, this game won't die for a really, really long time.

If you go to MMORPG, they will tell you that ESO has almost as many players as GW2, FFXIV and BDO combined.

Just saying.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"Mea.5491" said:No offence but your "observation" skills are lacking. GW2 is one of the most popular MMOs, it has a huge playerbase and the future of the game is not uncertain at all, especially if we consider how dead the MMORPG market is right now, there's literally no competition, everything is about the holy four: WoW-FFXIV-GW2-ESO. Go to the MMORPG sub on Reddit, ask what game to play and they will recommend these 4 because they are the "healthiest" MMOs. There's nothing "uncertain" about GW2, this game won't die for a really, really long time.

If you go to MMORPG, they will tall you that ESO has almost as many players as GW2, FFXIV and BDO combined.

Just saying.

I've been following that sub since forever and never seen anyone say such thing. Also, the ESO sub has a lot less players than GW2 and FFXIV. Plus the ESO playerbase is split between PC and consoles, I played ESO on PC for a few weeks but I met way less people during lvling than in GW2.

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mea.5491 said:No offence but your "observation" skills are lacking. GW2 is one of the most popular MMOs, it has a huge playerbase and the future of the game is not uncertain at all, especially if we consider how dead the MMORPG market is right now, there's literally no competition, everything is about the holy four: WoW-FFXIV-GW2-ESO. Go to the MMORPG sub on Reddit, ask what game to play and they will recommend these 4 because they are the "healthiest" MMOs. There's nothing "uncertain" about GW2, this game won't die for a really, really long time.

If you go to MMORPG, they will tall you that ESO has almost as many players as GW2, FFXIV and BDO combined.

Just saying.

I've been following that sub since forever and never seen anyone say such thing. Also, the ESO sub has a lot less players than GW2 and FFXIV. Plus the ESO playerbase is split between PC and consoles, I played ESO on PC for a few weeks but I met way less people during lvling than in GW2.

Humm might want to step out of reddit and read the articles on MMORPG.

In a recent article on the top 5 most popular MMO's, BDO and FF14 were listed as having around 1 million active accounts each, with GW2 rocking in 1.5 million. Very respectable numbers.. However ESO was listed as having over 3 million.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mea.5491 said:No offence but your "observation" skills are lacking. GW2 is one of the most popular MMOs, it has a huge playerbase and the future of the game is not uncertain at all, especially if we consider how dead the MMORPG market is right now, there's literally no competition, everything is about the holy four: WoW-FFXIV-GW2-ESO. Go to the MMORPG sub on Reddit, ask what game to play and they will recommend these 4 because they are the "healthiest" MMOs. There's nothing "uncertain" about GW2, this game won't die for a really, really long time.

Just saying.

In a recent article on the top 5 most popular MMO's, BDO and FF14 were listed as having around 1 million active accounts each, with GW2 rocking in 1.5 million. Very respectable numbers.. However ESO was listed as having over 3 million.

I highly doubt that ESO with its extremely boring combat has 3mil players but oh well... :)

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

Just saying.

I highly doubt that ESO with its extremely boring combat has 3mil players but oh well... :)

probably leeching of the succes of skyrim

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

Just saying.

best Combat is BDO.. IMHO.

@wrathmagik.3518 said:The only way this game will die is if they release another expansion like HOT

This is a bad post.

HOT had more players than POF. While POF is good I do think the NA servers don't have much players

EU on the other hand is packed and heathy. Plenty of new players returning players and veterans.

One of the biggest problems between HOT and POF is the map size is limited to 80 players per map. This was especially important because in wvw you could see 3 tags with 120+ players but it has been nerfed.

POF also ruined the economy in guild wars 2 as well is a boring theme.

I think there is less players playing now on NA servers but EU is still heathy. Also the map pop nerfs really made this game feel lonely. I wish I could see 120 players per map not 40. But that's just me and anet trying to save money.

@Anthony.3207 said:

@wrathmagik.3518 said:The only way this game will die is if they release another expansion like HOT

This is a bad post.

HOT had more players than POF. While POF is good I do think the NA servers don't have much players

EU on the other hand is packed and heathy. Plenty of new players returning players and veterans.

One of the biggest problems between HOT and POF is the map size is limited to 80 players per map. This was especially important because in wvw you could see 3 tags with 120+ players but it has been nerfed.

I think there is less players playing now on NA servers but EU is still heathy. Also the map pop nerfs really made this game feel lonely. I wish I could see 120 players per map not 40. But that's just me and anet trying to save money.

The map limit is far above 40, just saying

@Blocki.4931 said:

This is a bad post.

They should cut down on instances and have more players per instance. But that would over heat servers and cause UI lag.

It's fine. For a more stable server I guess less players is fine.

Even the mislock feels dead with only 30 players there.

@Anthony.3207 said:

This is a bad post.

It is. I'm not sure what the model count limits are, though, which might also play into this?

They should cut down on instances and have more players per instance. But that would over heat servers and cause UI lag.

Personally, I'd avoid too much speculation about technical limitations like that. Not least because the servers are now hosted in AWS, and I assure you that AWS servers are quite happy running 100 percent busy without heat constraints. The big few cloud providers have spent literal billions ensuring that. ;)

Even the mislock feels dead with only 30 players there.

I'm really not convinced your counts are accurate though.

Back in HOT you could see 250+ people in lions Arch and 90+ people in mistlock.

Also wvw used to have 3 tags with 50 people each.

Either anet uses instances and ques or there are less players playing but....

I played for several years on another account on NA. I played NA on this account for a few months and NA definitely feels a little thin. Maybe because of instancing or server management.

On EU the population is thin too but we get new players everyday.

Anet probably reduced players per instance for some reason. I remember when the game was packed with players.

Now I am not saying there is a player shortage or lack of players or the game is dead dying -

Sometime in POF they probably did shards and instances to spread out the population. I don't like that but oh well.

A LOT, and I mean a LOT of people, have been saying the game is dying or it has an uncertain future--both in-game and on the forums. They say this because people like to whine, tend to be cynical, and are quick to believe the worst.The reality? This game is doing fine. Ignore the predictions of doom, go on playing, and you'll see for yourself.

@Weindrasi.3805 said:A LOT, and I mean a LOT of people, have been saying the game is dying or it has an uncertain future--both in-game and on the forums. They say this because people like to whine, tend to be cynical, and are quick to believe the worst.The reality? This game is doing fine. Ignore the predictions of doom, go on playing, and you'll see for yourself.

Well to be fair, I was basing my observations from the time I played around when HoT came out give or take a few months into it's infancy where there were a LOT more people in Lion's Arch and today where even the biggest hub city seems sparse in comparison. Maybe it was just because there were fewer zones then, but in my mind, if Lion's Arch out of all places was showing a decline in numbers, then maybe there is something to be said of at the very least GW2's population count. Notice how I left my post title pretty open ended becaue I didn't want to say authoritatively that this thing is for sure happening to our game, but wanted to leave it open to others' feedback, and so far I've gotten a lot of good responses.

I have done map completion 17 times. Just in core Tyria, with every completion I have done, I can see that the game maintains a healthy population, and I always see players running around. More recently, I have actually been running into the problem of too many people at a heart for me to get the completion done, and I have to move to a different heart until they leave. Don't listen to the naysayers who think the game is dying.

@Weindrasi.3805 said:A LOT, and I mean a LOT of people, have been saying the game is dying or it has an uncertain future--both in-game and on the forums. They say this because people like to whine, tend to be cynical, and are quick to believe the worst.The reality? This game is doing fine. Ignore the predictions of doom, go on playing, and you'll see for yourself.

Agreed, I've heard people say the same things literally years ago & ANET has always managed to bring us back & renew our interest... I don't foresee GW2 going anywhere anytime soon.... So long as the developers pay attention to what the players want of course<<.

@solfizz.5730 said:

Well to be fair, I was basing my observations from the time I played around when HoT came out give or take a few months into it's infancy where there were a LOT more people in Lion's Arch and today where even the biggest hub city seems sparse in comparison. Maybe it was just because there were fewer zones then, but in my mind, if Lion's Arch out of all places was showing a decline in numbers, then maybe there is something to be said of at the very least GW2's population count. Notice how I left my post title pretty open ended becaue I didn't want to say authoritatively that this thing is for sure happening to our game, but wanted to leave it open to others' feedback, and so far I've gotten a lot of good responses.

I realize you were being open ended, and not one of the aforementioned doom-sayers who like to declare the game as dead or dying xDMy point, I guess, was just that--if you're getting any of this concern because of those doom-sayers--there's no need.I think there being more zones available is part of it. I also think part of it is that almost nothing in Lion's Arch is strictly necessary. There are vendors, trading post and black lion reps, bankers, crafting tables, and so-on in many parts of the game. Trade is streamlined through the Black Lion Trading Post, and LFG is all in the LFG panel. Basically... it's easier and quicker for most to NOT come to Lion's Arch to do stuff. Me, I prefer the PvP lobby or one of the racial hometowns, because it takes me FOREVER to load into Lion's Arch. Another possibility is that not many people seem too fond of Lion's Arch's aesthetic.Even though it's technically the big hub city, I think most of the people who come to LA are just there for the few things, like the Mystic Toilet, they can only get in LA.

@Omyrah.7389 said:I have done map completion 17 times. Just in core Tyria, with every completion I have done, I can see that the game maintains a healthy population, and I always see players running around. More recently, I have actually been running into the problem of too many people at a heart for me to get the completion done, and I have to move to a different heart until they leave. Don't listen to the naysayers who think the game is dying.

Okay, that's probably the best proof in the pudding. Thanks for sharing some solid objective-based feedback.

@Vavume.8065 said:

@solfizz.5730 said:That's cool to hear! I would be happy to be proven wrong.

No one needs to prove you wrong, how about you try to prove you are right first...

Sheesh man, I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone, just expressing concern coming from a CASUAL PLAYER POV, and hopefully I came off as humbly asking what people with more experience thought of in case I was wrong, which I have no problem admitting that I just may have been...

@Weindrasi.3805 said:

I realize you were being open ended, and not one of the aforementioned doom-sayers who like to declare the game as dead or dying xDMy point, I guess, was just that--if you're getting any of this concern because of those doom-sayers--there's no need.I think there being more zones available is part of it. I also think part of it is that almost nothing in Lion's Arch is strictly necessary. There are vendors, trading post and black lion reps, bankers, crafting tables, and so-on in many parts of the game. Trade is streamlined through the Black Lion Trading Post, and LFG is all in the LFG panel. Basically... it's easier and quicker for most to NOT come to Lion's Arch to do stuff. Me, I prefer the PvP lobby or one of the racial hometowns, because it takes me FOREVER to load into Lion's Arch. Another possibility is that not many people seem too fond of Lion's Arch's aesthetic.Even though it's technically the big hub city, I think most of the people who come to LA are just there for the few things, like the Mystic Toilet, they can only get in LA.

Thanks for the level-headed reasonable response. That's a good point that I didn't consider. Thank you! :)

The beginning areas appear far less populated than any game I can ever remember playing. It may be that they keep the pop low by opening other instances, but most are ghost towns. I can't get anyone to play this game just because this is the only game that doesn't offer a lvl 10 or 20 mount, making ppl run for 80 lvls isn't very appealing to a lot of players when they can go everywhere else.

@Patchwreck.2357 said:The beginning areas appear far less populated than any game I can ever remember playing. It may be that they keep the pop low by opening other instances, but most are ghost towns. I can't get anyone to play this game just because this is the only game that doesn't offer a lvl 10 or 20 mount, making ppl run for 80 lvls isn't very appealing to a lot of players when they can go everywhere else.

Yeah, if you're free-to-play. If you purchase an expansion you can boost to 80, unlock the raptor in a matter of minutes, and have a full speed mount for every character from there on. You also have waypoints. It's hard to imagine a more convenient travel option than that.

That's how F2P works, though. You watch everyone else fly by on their fancy mounts with all the benefits of purchasing an expansion and you start to think it might not be a bad idea to just pay the money.

Every time Im at the bank in Divinity's Reach (starting Human city) I see lots of people there. Trading, roleplaying, playing music, dancing, doing stupid stuff or just afking and it IS a starting city. They're just standing close to bank and trading post. I think from all racial cities people tend to hang in Divinity Reach the most (myself included, its least laggy for me and most convenient merchants close together).

Archived