EDIT: ANET staff publicly representing company should be held to their own standards

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:I’m on team Jessica.

I don’t care about any PC mumbo jumbo here, or anywhere else... I commented on the catalyst of the argument, so stick to that and don’t assume anything else.

The "catalyst of the argument" of THIS thread is not focused on the debate of branching story dialogue vs not. This thread is specifically meant to be about the reaction of the dev to a player who offered constructive criticism. She didn't call people who criticized her merely "rando", but rather rando and then another word which is always censored into "kitten" by the forums.

Please don't take this thread off-topic. While a discussion of the story is always nice, it is not her argument that so many people take issue with, rather her behavior towards someone who disagreed. I would like this thread to stay focused on people's opinions of this behavior, their reactions to it, and their perspective on it. You are free to offer your support for her reaction, if you think it was merited, but no one is debating branching dialogue merits on this particular thread so no reason to bring them up.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Swagger.1459 said:

That “rando” person is trying to assume the limitations with personalized story telling through the mmo format, is not about the limited mmo format, but the problem lies with how Anet approaches personalized story telling through the “constraints of the Living Story’s narrative design”

Are you criticizing the argument of the "rando" person because he is male or female, and are thus just doing a thin wailed sexist comment? Can you prove it?

That is what this discussing is about. Not the pro and con of the different forms of personalized story telling, but rather if the comment itself was sexist. If the rando were employed by Anet and just now accused you of being sexist on social media and you may end up receiving death threats, would you think thats acceptable behavior?

The artistic merits of using different techniques for personalized story telling is relevant for a discussion about personalized story telling. I wish that was what we were discussing, but its rather irrelevant for the person being accused on social media for sexism.

I don’t care about any PC mumbo jumbo here, or anywhere else... I commented on the catalyst of the argument, so stick to that and don’t assume anything else.

So, you basically chose to overlook the actual topic of the thread in order to weigh in your opinion on a different matter.

In other words, you're off topic.

The whole gender topic is getting out of hands in the US. People became extremely oversensitive, everything has to be a political or gender topic. Just read some random comments somewhere and it quickly escalates in politics, gender stuff etc. It's ridiculous. Here in Europe people are - usually - very chill.

@"Windu The Forbidden One.6045" said:Man... she really is a horrible person. To think someone can be so vile and sexist over some harmless and polite constructive criticism is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think she's a horrible person, I really don't. We all have our strong beliefs about things we care about.I think she's been 'monumentally stupid' in her public Twitter responses to valid constructive criticisms, all of which could have been avoided by either having a proper discussion as to why the Narrative team make the decisions they do, or to just ignore any poster.JP would, evidently rather respond with "You're only questioning the decisions because I'm a girl", which incites the sexism aspect, even though it didn't exist in the tweets from Deroir to begin with.

(For some people it's obvious why the narrative is not as flexible: Budget, ease of story telling, etc But many who are so invested into this game and it's writing, want huge elaborations on why, and to be honest, NO ONE outside of Anet is entitled to know that information. JP could have responded to Deroir with literally "We do this because it makes our job of writing the story easier", but she didn't.)

My only thought is, while we can try to reconstruct context using tweet or forum participation, it still doesn't provide an entire context for her experiences that led to her response.

I also think it's being latched on to drive narratives or attack people or ideas by proxy. Like, convicting Al Capone on tax evasion. Like somehow this one tweet erases a greater reality. All of this just seems really overblown to me. Maybe a whataboutism that people on the wrong side of an argument are going to file away and pull it out later as some sort of proof that there really isn't a problem.

@alaskasnowgirl.6047 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:Feigned outrage is so much better on twitter, where it's limited to 250 characters.

It's her personal twitter feed. Not only do forum-goers not need to know this, but we
definitely
don't need to have a discussion with ANet about it.

My favorite is the part where you pretend such a discussion would somehow be constructive when this is obviously just a weak attempt to ensure professional consequences for someone who said something that offended your sensibilities.

If it isn't constructive, that won't be my doing. Sexism against ANYONE is offensive, male or female. To discount the opinions of someone offering constructive criticism based on their gender is offensive. So yes, in that sense, I am offended. My outrage is certainly not feigned, or I would not have gone through all the trouble of looking into all of the Twitter posts I did and doing fact-checking to ensure I was accurately representing the situation, let alone writing that long of a post.

Being offended is a choice YOU make. So to suggest that there be consequences for something someone did that lead to you making the choice to be offended is pretty silly, no?

I realize that we live in a world where being perpetually outraged about something is 'chic, but in reality, being an adult (usually) signifies being in control of your thoughts and emotions.

Don't want to be offended by what someone says? Choose to not be.

Read the whole thing, her response is pretty telling. How she could have possibly thought that publicly posting something like this is somehow a good idea is beyond me. Even ignoring the connection to A-Net, this just makes her look bad, not the other guy but the bubble is pretty strong I guess. It's just sad to see how people oftentimes get dismissive and start to use ad hominems if they can't properly address the arguments (or criticism) presented to them, not just in this case but in general.

My wife and I were just discussing this topic a few moments ago. It's kind of heart breaking to have the curtain drawn back and see what's behind; we had no idea that Anet employees looked at their players and content creators this way, but seeing not only JPs response but also PF's as well, it really drives home just how little the opinions of those who play this game matter to the actual employees at the company. I can only imagine how player Feedback is viewed internally: just a bunch of amateurs telling professionals how to do their jobs, and any negative reaction towards a decision made in the game as being some personal, possibly sexist, attack on the employees. I now regret all the feedback I've given, knowing it's probably been viewed internally as "mansplaining" all this time.

Honestly, as a software developer, I can't imagine working for a project where I felt that negatively toward its users.

I've been playing this series since 2004, was a huge fan of the Guild Wars series in particular, and now that I know the workers at Anet feel that way, it's sort of jaded my view of the game. I support games as much for the game itself as for the company and amazing workers who run it, and honestly I feel like I made a big mistake with Arenanet if this is the company culture they are willing to make public.

Honestly, it's just a shame.

@"Windu The Forbidden One.6045" said:

That “rando” person is trying to assume the limitations with personalized story telling through the mmo format, is not about the limited mmo format, but the problem lies with how Anet approaches personalized story telling through the “constraints of the Living Story’s narrative design”

Are you criticizing the argument of the "rando" person because he is male or female, and are thus just doing a thin wailed sexist comment? Can you prove it?

That is what this discussing is about. Not the pro and con of the different forms of personalized story telling, but rather if the comment itself was sexist. If the rando were employed by Anet and just now accused you of being sexist on social media and you may end up receiving death threats, would you think thats acceptable behavior?

The artistic merits of using different techniques for personalized story telling is relevant for a discussion about personalized story telling. I wish that was what we were discussing, but its rather irrelevant for the person being accused on social media for sexism.

So, you basically chose to overlook the actual topic of the thread in order to weigh in your opinion on a different matter.

This thread is “let’s attack a dev”, so sorry if I’m not joining in on the bashing... I can post what I want, and it’s all related. This topic is getting closed anyway, off topic or not, and to assume otherwise is silly.

And I don’t care about any PC police here, but if you want I can start pulling up player twitter comments and reposts so we can play the morality judge game? Everyone on social media is fair game now right?

We are not attacking her, we are merely discussing what happened. And hoping that maybe something good comes from this.Acting this antagonistic and belligerent towards other members of the community over mere constructive criticism is unacceptable behavior, and if any of us did this, we most definitely would be infracted or banned.

No, people are attacking her here and reddit for comments made on her personal Twitter. Nothing good will come of it. Ppl need to take their pc antics and self righteousness somewhere else, or we should start to scrutinize all their public social media accounts and attack with mob mentality justice. Equal justice right?

@Swagger.1459 said:

This thread is “let’s attack a dev”, so sorry if I’m not joining in on the bashing... I can post what I want, and it’s all related. This topic is getting closed anyway, off topic or not, and to assume otherwise is silly.

And I don’t care about any PC police here, but if you want I can start pulling up player twitter comments and reposts so we can play the morality judge game? Everyone on social media is fair game now right?

We are not attacking her, we are merely discussing what happened. And hoping that maybe something good comes from this.Acting this antagonistic and belligerent towards other members of the community over mere constructive criticism is unacceptable behavior, and if any of us did this, we most definitely would be infracted or banned.

No, people are attacking her here and reddit for comments made on her personal Twitter. Nothing good will come of it. Ppl need to take their pc antics and self righteousness somewhere else, or we should start to scrutinize all their public social media accounts and attack with mob mentality justice. Equal justice right?

So you're just dismissing it with the awful argument that its her own account. Get a grip.

You also generalize it saying that people are attacking her, it's far from everybody and reading the main reddit thread thoroughly yesterday and today it's a very very small minority of people calling her names or asking her to be fired. Most people are saying they are not okay with the general tone or bring an anecdote or two. You're also saying "this one person with a large following says horrible shit but look at these 100 out of 9000 people who do the same!" clearly you're looking from a bad angle here.

Then again you're one of the contrarians on this forum so it is to be expected.

@Swagger.1459 said:

She is the only one showing "pc antics", she is the one who made the entire issue about gender, we are merely responding to it.Just as she is allowed to rant and make baseless accusations on the internet, we are free to give our opinion on it.

There are two parts to this discussion. Jessica Price's explanation, btw, was spot on. An MMORPG is about getting players to the same place, not dividing them into infinitely small categories. So it's harder to do branching storyline. Even SWToR which was made by Bioware, known for their stories, suffered complaints about the story choices ultimately being meaningless. This is due to the structure of MMORPGs.

For sure, she could have handled the conversation better. She obviously felt frustrated after typing a long, complex and correct explanation that someone was just disagreeing with her, as if their expertise was somehow going to change anything she said. It was a bad way to react, there's no question about it.

I often have days where I'm in a bad mood for whatever reason and I snipe at people, I'm sure we all do. She should apologize, in my opinion, because though she may have encountered sexism in the past, I see no sign of it in this particular instance. But I think this whole thing has been blown waaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion.

What we have here is a dev who is obviously sensitive to criticism, possibly from past experience (reddit posted a whole thread early on when she signed on dissecting her twitter feed...it was a pretty negative thread), who over-reacted to someone disagreeing with her expert opinion. And she did over-react.

But this seems to be more about her sensitivity than anything Deroir did wrong. That's how I'm reading it anyway. And you know, considering the reception she got when she first got hired by the reddit crowd, I'm not surprised she's a bit sensitive.

She is the only one showing "pc antics", she is the one who made the entire issue about gender, we are merely responding to it.Just as she is allowed to rant and make baseless accusations on the internet, we are free to give our opinion on it.

Then keep this crap on Twitter where it belongs. Ya ppl post it here I’m going to comment.

@Swagger.1459 said:

Ya ppl post it here I’m going to comment.

That is your right.

@"Swagger.1459" said:No, people are attacking her here and reddit for comments made on her personal Twitter. Nothing good will come of it. Ppl need to take their pc antics and self righteousness somewhere else, or we should start to scrutinize all their public social media accounts and attack with mob mentality justice. Equal justice right?

Made on her personal twitter that shows Arenanet as her employer, makes direct conversation about Arenanet game topics, and attacks people for making sensible and polite conversation about those Arenanet topics by referencing the fact that she works at Arenanet and they do not? Also, her personal twitter where another Arenanet employee joins in to lob shame at the individuals who dared to try to have a polite discussion with her?

This isn't some situation where a person, on their anonymous and private personal twitter, says "The dress was white and blue" and gets demolished by rabid fans of their employers. This is a situation where someone identified their twitter as a feed to discuss topics related to their job, began a discussion related to their job, and then called anyone who even slightly disagreed a sexist pig.

The fact that another Anet employee supported this viewpoint really drives home that this isn't some one off thing; it definitely helps reveal a bit how our feedback as a community is received internally.

I'm shocked this person is even allowed to publicly label herself as an Anet employee on a platform she clearly uses to spew political garbage on. I've also dug into some of her other twitter posts and am absolutely convinced she's completely unhinged (tells people to go kill themselves, spews anti-Jewish propaganda everywhere... think Mel Gibson when he's drunk kind of stuff and the insane sexism stuff).

Also, you need to realize that it doesn't matter if this dev uses her own personal twitter or facebook or whatever, she CLEARLY states that she's an ArenaNet employee and developer so basically whenever she interacts with someone, she does that as a direct representative of the company she advertises she's employed for.

I'm employed in a large corporation as well and whenever I communicate with people on media that I advertise the company I work for as well, I need to be careful with what I say. Even if it would be on twitter or anything else, if I start calling people out and insulting them then I can expect to be fired from my position relatively quick. I'm surprised this dev is still employed by Anet since they need to think of their customers first. The only fitting action Anet can do with this dev is indeed to fire her.

@Elestrae.4927 said:I've also dug into some of her other twitter posts and am absolutely convinced she's completely unhinged (tells people to go kill themselves, spews anti-Jewish propaganda everywhere...

Holy crap 0_o

Please see the following response from down the page

@alaskasnowgirl.6047 said:

@Elestrae.4927 said:I've also dug into some of her other twitter posts and am absolutely convinced she's completely unhinged (tells people to go kill themselves, spews anti-Jewish propaganda everywhere...

Holy crap 0_o

I do have to correct this because I have also looked through her twitter posts. She is far from being anti-jewish. In fact, from all she has posted I believe she is actually Jewish herself (though could be wrong about that). I could be wrong, but I didn't find anything suggesting being against anything Jewish.

@Vayne.8563 said:snip

You make very good points. Although it's not the first time something like this happens so I think Arenanet really needs to look into the situation. I get the idea JP is very stressed, so it might be worthwhile to have her go on leave for a bit to get some rest and properly destress and clear her mind.I'm more critical of Peter Fries, who poured fuel on the fire. He should know better than to butt in on an already volatile situation and should have left the situation to be handled by the PR team or community manager.

People are saying Anet apparently contacted Deroir and asked him not to say anything about the situation, so I guess we'll hear from Anet soon.

She is right, and so is he on the actual game discussion. If they took the PC anywhere but the middle we would complain, though they avoid monomyth and any sort of change in the PC, which makes our character rather bland. But the narrative is pretty bad on a pure writing perspective. The dialogue is very shallow and the only memorable part is Canach and towers. If they can't accept us saying we want better, as paying customers, they need to move on. So to get on a high horse and claim sexism is past misguided but outrageous. For the male dev to then step in and claim we are laymen, many of us will not be myself included and that their twitters are private is again utterly wrong.

Anyone with any social media experience with a large company will tell you this. If you are in the public eye, say a politician, a police officer, a teacher, a youth worker, etc etc, and you post extremist and unfounded opinions like her, then you are representing your employer to those reading them. She has 10k followers, likely fans of this and her previous employer. Go through her tweet history and it is post after post of sexist remarks and some verging on racist, this is not like interrupting a small private conversation with an unwelcome opinion, but joining a public discussion instigated by her to 10k people. No where on her twitter bio does she claim, her views are her own and not Anets. If I were in their PR team I would be sweating right now.

Bottom line, she is driving away your player base by calling us stupid and sexist if we dare to disagree with her. Not to mention, rando a**hat...

And no, July 4th is not an excuse, if you are off work, do not post about work or you will get asked about work. Not to mention the majority of the world do no celebrate this holiday...

@Tolmos.8395 said:

Holy crap 0_o

I do have to correct this because I have also looked through her twitter posts. She is far from being anti-jewish. In fact, from all she has posted I believe she is actually Jewish herself (though could be wrong about that). I could be wrong, but I didn't find anything suggesting being against anything Jewish.

Archived