Is it time to end GW2?

Can this thread get archived at last? This is still the GW2 forum, and as long as there is no announcement for a sequel in the works, this is pointless and annoying to players who are still enjoying this game. I mean, we could start speculating about the weather on a random date in the future - just as pointless at this point.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ryou.2398 said:

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:People need to stop overreacting. Those who act like it's end of the world and are leaving are the reason why GW2 is doing bad.For the love of all the cats, just stop with threads about layoffs. It happened and game will move forward and soon it will be just like it ever was, maybe even better because its their #1 focus again, which is what we all ever wanted.Just enjoy the game, talk nicely of it and people will come to it. If I was searching for an MMO and all I saw is depressing posts and stuff I'd be running away from it. You people are doing exactly the opposite. Just stop.

Lol sorry friend but this is incorrect, its not an overreaction when there is a track record to begin with, this is just a final nail in the coffin for many, its not based on one situation.

So how many situations is it based on exactly. I can think of one..City of Heroes. You can't say it's based on Wildstar, because Wildstar was practically dead before NcSoft pulled the plug. I honestly wish people would stop saying a single data point or even two is some sort of pattern. It is an over-reaction because City of Heroes probably never had the number of players Guild Wars 2 did, at any point in it's history. It certainly didn't bring in the same revenue. So you can't really compare it.

I did not say it was about other mmos but it likely is for some, actually coh had the numbers thats a complete fabricated lie and many have shown this I suggest you stop being blinded by any fanboyism at this point and try to research a bit deeper.

City of Heroes grossed as much as 12 million dollars annually. Guild Wars 2 grosses more than that per quarter. That doesn't speak to profitability, but just on base sales, it took two years for City of Heroes to get up to Guild Wars 2 pre launch numbers. That is Guild Wars 2 has 4 million prelaunch sales and by the time City of Heroes was 2 years old, it hadn't hit that number yet.

It's nice to like a game and I have nothing against City of Heroes, but it was never as high in the MMO world as you'd like to think it was. Most people think Guild Wars 2 is sitting in the top five MMORPGS, or has for a long long time. I can't ever remember seeing City of Heroes on the top five list at any time.

It was a niche product that was wildly popular among its fan base, but never reached mainstream popularity, much like Guild Wars 1. Guild Wars 1 numbers can't touch Guild Wars 2 numbers either.

Since NcSoft reports are a matter of public record, you could do a bit of research yourself, look at what the games made, and figure this out, before you start trying to invalidate what people say and calling them a fan boi.

The irony of this situation is that being a fan boi of City of Heroes doesn't actually make you more entitled to speak without facts than me being a fan boi of Guild Wars 2. But I was speaking of facts. This game is far far more successful than City of Heroes ever was, even at this point.

That doesn't mean it's more profitable. But it could well mean that the higher profile/higher footpriint changes the situation with regards to business decisions. Just a thought.

Edit: Wildstar is even a more clear cut case, since before it actually closed, it's profits were no longer reported individually because it simply wasn't making enough to support it's profits.

I think its funny how some of you keep thinking I said anything about gw2 being more profitable or not vs a much older mmo.

Seems implied by this liine you typed:

"I did not say it was about other mmos but it likely is for some, actually coh had the numbers thats a complete fabricated lie and many have shown this I suggest you stop being blinded by any fanboyism at this point and try to research a bit deeper."

Calling me a fanboi because I'm saying that the situation between GW 2 and CoH is not comparable is a bit insulting. Aside from the obvious fact that you can be a fan boi and be right, my opinion on this is informed by the numbers. If it wasn't you that said I'm blinded by fanboiism and should try tor research a bit deeper than that's cool, because I hit reply to a comment with that in it. This CoH example of comparing it to GW 2 is just ridiculous. If nothing else it's a data set of 1, with a specific set of circumstances that are not duplicated.

Unless someone actually works at NcSoft, no one really knows what was behind the decision to close CoH anyway.

Fact from my point of view is that a lot of veteran GW1 and GW2 fans quit the game. I have a friend who played since GW1 beta and me myself played since early 2006 (before Factions) and I don't play the game anymore. It is boring and there are a ton of other great (singleplayer-) games out there. And the fact they won't release a new expansion - again against a common used and successful formula - isn't getting my hopes high.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Fact from my point of view is that a lot of veteran GW1 and GW2 fans quit the game. I have a friend who played since GW1 beta and me myself played since early 2006 (before Factions) and I don't play the game anymore. It is boring and there are a ton of other great (singleplayer-) games out there. And the fact they won't release a new expansion - again against a common used and successful formula - isn't getting my hopes high.

And a lot of veteran players from Guild Wars 1 are still playing. I mean I see plenty of hall of monuments skins floating around and even quite a few GWAMM titles. Annecdotal evidence is nothing more than that. In fact, you could probably say they same for almost every MMO in existence. I've lost count of the times my kids have quit playing WoW. They buy a new expansion, get bored with it in a month or two and they're gone again.

There are plenty of veteran players that got tired or bored or moved on. There are also plenty still playing.

@Ashantara.8731 said:This is still the GW2 forum, and as long as there is no announcement for a sequel in the works, this is pointless and annoying to players who are still enjoying this game.

That was the point. This was never about shutting down GW2, it was about continuing on the path ArenaNet was heading towards prior to the layoffs. In GW1 terms, PoF was EotN and we're currently doing the War in Kryta. The topic is moot however, since ArenaNet doesn't have a choice after NCSoft stepped in.

@Healix.5819 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:This is still the GW2 forum, and as long as there is no announcement for a sequel in the works, this is pointless and annoying to players who are still enjoying this game.

That was the point. [...]

No, it was not. The OP suggested that now, in the light of things, we will see a (quote) "watered down GW2", which is a ridiculous claim since there has been no official information on the future of the game. It is mere speculation, because for all we know the game could become better again now that ANet has had to refocus on it due to current circumstances. Speculation does not equal facts, so to me this is just another thread that tries to spread negativity about a yet unknown future.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Fact from my point of view is that a lot of veteran GW1 and GW2 fans quit the game. I have a friend who played since GW1 beta and me myself played since early 2006 (before Factions) and I don't play the game anymore. It is boring and there are a ton of other great (singleplayer-) games out there. And the fact they won't release a new expansion - again against a common used and successful formula - isn't getting my hopes high.

And a lot of veteran players from Guild Wars 1 are still playing. I mean I see plenty of hall of monuments skins floating around and even quite a few GWAMM titles. Annecdotal evidence is nothing more than that. In fact, you could probably say they same for almost every MMO in existence. I've lost count of the times my kids have quit playing WoW. They buy a new expansion, get bored with it in a month or two and they're gone again.

There are plenty of veteran players that got tired or bored or moved on. There are also plenty still playing.

Doesn't matter, the genre is niche (again) and most players moved on. There are always some veterans around ofc. Nothing bad with it. I will return form time to time, but lost interest shortly after HoT. That said, I think the game may linger in some form or another for quite a long time. But if so (like a decade) then without major updates.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Doesn't matter, the genre is niche (again) and most players moved on.

Moved on to what? There is no equivalent to RPG'ing that can be played in an open multiplayer environment. You obviously meant moved on to other MMOs, right?

@"8235E844-3CC1-4724-8B86-45063AFE57F3.6259" said:Even gw1 was never a "main game" most people logged in after playing WoW or some thing.

Really? Most players I knew in GW1 played mostly GW1. This is a "main game" to me as well.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Really? Most players I knew in GW1 played mostly GW1. This is a "main game" to me as well.Yes really. It was only at the end of GW1 (nightfall-EOTN) when the community expected to play only GW1 in my experience. Before that almost everyone played other MMOs. Very few teenagers played exclusively before then. Simply not enough to do (obviously all subjective experience).

Most people/ content guilds moved to FF14. Many have also moved back to GW1.

@"8235E844-3CC1-4724-8B86-45063AFE57F3.6259" said:Most people/ content guilds moved to FF14.

Yikes! Manga hell with disgusting female Asian barbie looks, cutesy cat ear characters, and what not. :s

I would have probably moved on to ESO had it not been out for years (I hate catching up late on content). But I still harbor hope for GW2 and hope that a dev will give us specifics on the future of GW2 soon.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Yikes! Manga hell with disgusting female looks, cat ears, and what not. :sPersonally find the community and art style to be similar, if anything FF14 players had a vibe of "I go outside and do things" compared to GW2 players. I haven't played ff14 for about 18 months though, and am an expansion behind were I to go back.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:People need to stop overreacting. Those who act like it's end of the world and are leaving are the reason why GW2 is doing bad.For the love of all the cats, just stop with threads about layoffs. It happened and game will move forward and soon it will be just like it ever was, maybe even better because its their #1 focus again, which is what we all ever wanted.Just enjoy the game, talk nicely of it and people will come to it. If I was searching for an MMO and all I saw is depressing posts and stuff I'd be running away from it. You people are doing exactly the opposite. Just stop.

Lol sorry friend but this is incorrect, its not an overreaction when there is a track record to begin with, this is just a final nail in the coffin for many, its not based on one situation.

So how many situations is it based on exactly. I can think of one..City of Heroes. You can't say it's based on Wildstar, because Wildstar was practically dead before NcSoft pulled the plug. I honestly wish people would stop saying a single data point or even two is some sort of pattern. It is an over-reaction because City of Heroes probably never had the number of players Guild Wars 2 did, at any point in it's history. It certainly didn't bring in the same revenue. So you can't really compare it.

I did not say it was about other mmos but it likely is for some, actually coh had the numbers thats a complete fabricated lie and many have shown this I suggest you stop being blinded by any fanboyism at this point and try to research a bit deeper.

City of Heroes grossed as much as 12 million dollars annually. Guild Wars 2 grosses more than that per quarter. That doesn't speak to profitability, but just on base sales, it took two years for City of Heroes to get up to Guild Wars 2 pre launch numbers. That is Guild Wars 2 has 4 million prelaunch sales and by the time City of Heroes was 2 years old, it hadn't hit that number yet.

It's nice to like a game and I have nothing against City of Heroes, but it was never as high in the MMO world as you'd like to think it was. Most people think Guild Wars 2 is sitting in the top five MMORPGS, or has for a long long time. I can't ever remember seeing City of Heroes on the top five list at any time.

It was a niche product that was wildly popular among its fan base, but never reached mainstream popularity, much like Guild Wars 1. Guild Wars 1 numbers can't touch Guild Wars 2 numbers either.

Since NcSoft reports are a matter of public record, you could do a bit of research yourself, look at what the games made, and figure this out, before you start trying to invalidate what people say and calling them a fan boi.

The irony of this situation is that being a fan boi of City of Heroes doesn't actually make you more entitled to speak without facts than me being a fan boi of Guild Wars 2. But I was speaking of facts. This game is far far more successful than City of Heroes ever was, even at this point.

That doesn't mean it's more profitable. But it could well mean that the higher profile/higher footpriint changes the situation with regards to business decisions. Just a thought.

Edit: Wildstar is even a more clear cut case, since before it actually closed, it's profits were no longer reported individually because it simply wasn't making enough to support it's profits.

I think its funny how some of you keep thinking I said anything about gw2 being more profitable or not vs a much older mmo.

You did, at the very least you insinuated something factually incorrect:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:People need to stop overreacting. Those who act like it's end of the world and are leaving are the reason why GW2 is doing bad.For the love of all the cats, just stop with threads about layoffs. It happened and game will move forward and soon it will be just like it ever was, maybe even better because its their #1 focus again, which is what we all ever wanted.Just enjoy the game, talk nicely of it and people will come to it. If I was searching for an MMO and all I saw is depressing posts and stuff I'd be running away from it. You people are doing exactly the opposite. Just stop.

I did not say it was about other mmos but it likely is for some,
actually coh had the numbers thats a complete fabricated lie
and many have shown this I suggest you stop being blinded by any fanboyism at this point and try to research a bit deeper.

You might not like mmorpg.com, but you can't argue with financial reports (which is all I would have linked to, but you did not seem as though you had taken a look at CoHs ones yet). Your statement that CoH "had the numbers" in comparison to GW2 is just that: a biased incorrect assumption that both games are in some sort of similar situation which would lead to GW2 seeing a similar fate. As was pointed out to you, this is plain untrue (with GW2 vastly outperforming CoH even in its darkest hours). Your subjective feeling of how well the CoH did is beaten by cold hard facts and revenue numbers.

For anything else, sure you can hope and maybe one of the new MMOs will draw your attention. Given you have been playing since Everquest, I'm sure your had your share of disappointments and delights in the MMO market. What is dirty though is to bring this hype nonsense in these doom and gloom threads with: I'm not even sure which goal.

You cannot proof what you said is factually correct though so that is not true. I provided the links of the few things that have been around as to why it could have happened. It has nothing to do with me liking mmorpg.com it has to do with paid shilling and corrupt journalism that is beyond obvious today. I can and did argue with damage reports it seems odd how much you care almost like you could be from this kind of group.

@"8235E844-3CC1-4724-8B86-45063AFE57F3.6259" said:Even gw1 was never a "main game" most people logged in after playing WoW or some thing...

Errrr, nope. Remember that the original Guild Wars was released basically at the same time as WoW, and it was a very, very different kind of game.

You see it to this day - you have MMORPG hoppers, people who jump from MMO to MMO, usually after starting with WoW. Those players are often looking for something to replace WoW while wishing, deep down, for it to be mostly an exact copy of WoW.

Those players usually hated the original Guild Wars.

So no, Guild Wars usually was not a "side MMO". The kind of people who played the original Guild Wars the most was not the kind of people who also played WoW.

And, dude, did you use your account key as your username? If so, you really should change it, that's what proves you own your account.

@Ryou.2398 said:

and many have shown this I suggest you stop being blinded by any fanboyism at this point and try to research a bit deeper.

You might not like mmorpg.com, but you can't argue with financial reports (which is all I would have linked to, but you did not seem as though you had taken a look at CoHs ones yet). Your statement that CoH "had the numbers" in comparison to GW2 is just that: a biased incorrect assumption that both games are in some sort of similar situation which would lead to GW2 seeing a similar fate. As was pointed out to you, this is plain untrue (with GW2 vastly outperforming CoH even in its darkest hours). Your subjective feeling of how well the CoH did is beaten by cold hard facts and revenue numbers.

For anything else, sure you can hope and maybe one of the new MMOs will draw your attention. Given you have been playing since Everquest, I'm sure your had your share of disappointments and delights in the MMO market. What is dirty though is to bring this hype nonsense in these doom and gloom threads with: I'm not even sure which goal.

You cannot proof what you said is factually correct though so that is not true. I provided the links of the few things that have been around as to why it could have happened. It has nothing to do with me liking mmorpg.com it has to do with paid shilling and corrupt journalism that is beyond obvious today. I can and did argue with damage reports it seems odd how much you care almost like you could be from this kind of group.

You accuse me of being a blind fanboi. The irony here is undeniable. You're a blind fanboi if you think CoH is as successful an MMO as Guild Wars 2. It doesn't matter if you liked it more. It never made as much money. That's all I'm saying. The situation between the two games could very well be different.

You accuse me of something, and try to make yourself look somehow different. What I stated, that City of Heroes never made the kind of money Guild Wars 2 makes is fact, not fiction. Not fan boi stuff.

And NcSoft closed one game that people say they can't figure out a reason for. That's hardly a pattern. No one is saying they should have kept Wildstar going.

@Ryou.2398 said:

and again, go read the quarterly financial reports. I linked to mmorpg.com because the article basically summed up what was in them for people who are incapable of understanding financial information. Feel free to disagree with the financial statements, but given the numbers in those, my assumptions are way better backed than yours.

Again, what is the goal here? If you are unhappy with GW2, move on. You said it yourself, there is some promising new MMOs coming.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Doesn't matter, the genre is niche (again) and most players moved on.

Moved on to what? There is no equivalent to RPG'ing that can be played in an open multiplayer environment. You obviously meant moved on to other MMOs, right?

@"8235E844-3CC1-4724-8B86-45063AFE57F3.6259" said:Even gw1 was never a "main game" most people logged in after playing WoW or some thing.

Really? Most players I knew in GW1 played mostly GW1. This is a "main game" to me as well.

No, let's say the older generation which grew up with MMOs play less and less and the younger generation all play MOBAs and now Battle Royale games. It's a demographic thing. I notice it myself. More and more friends passing the 30ies now play less be cause they have other priorities like marriage, having children, plan their career etc.

It's similar in music genres and/or music movements. And this won't change since humanity won't change.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

No, let's say the older generation which grew up with MMOs play less and less and the younger generation all play MOBAs and now Battle Royale games. It's a demographic thing. I notice it myself. More and more friends passing the 30ies now play less be cause they have other priorities like marriage, having children, plan their career etc.

It's similar in music genres and/or music movements. And this won't change since humanity won't change.

And then your kids grow up and you play more. I'm 57. A number of people in my guild without kids or with grown kids play every single day. It's all anecdotal evidence...even mine.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

and again, go read the quarterly financial reports. I linked to mmorpg.com because the article basically summed up what was in them for people who are incapable of understanding financial information. Feel free to disagree with the financial statements, but given the numbers in those, my assumptions are way better backed than yours.

Again, what is the goal here? If you are unhappy with GW2, move on. You said it yourself, there is some promising new MMOs coming.

Lmao a journalist article does not work for the company or has real recordings of the actual earnings though, and what is your gaol here exactly? You came out of no where to defend something they cannot even be proven on your end. I will do as I please, just because I post once and a while does not mean I have not moved on but its time companies stop getting away with the nonsense that they do things are changing and you better get used to it.

@Ryou.2398 said:

Lmao a journalist article does not work for the company or has real recordings of the actual earnings though, and what is your gaol here exactly? You came out of no where to defend something they cannot even be proven on your end. I will do as I please, just because I post once and a while does not mean I have not moved on but its time companies stop getting away with the nonsense that they do things are changing and you better get used to it.

FINANCIAL STATEMENTS. I am referring to their FINANCIAL STATEMENTS which are referenced in the article and which are publicly available. You know, the ones which companies are required to put out and which should be as accurate as possible as to not get sued by investors?

You can do as you please, just at the very least put in the due diligence of informing yourself with information available. Currently all you are doing is spreading unfounded negativity and even when called on how you are wrong you are incapable of going and gathering valid data and information. That's called fanboism or trolling.

My goal? Call out nonsense in a negative thread which is filled with not factually based information on a game I enjoy because sometimes it's worth the time calling bs out.

@Vayne.8563 said:

And then your kids grow up and you play more. I'm 57. A number of people in my guild without kids or with grown kids play every single day. It's all anecdotal evidence...even mine.

Your anecdotes support each other. I'll add my own: Before I became disabled, I played MMOs less, because despite being single, I worked two jobs that I really enjoyed, and because I like to have things, so extra job meant extra money to buy those things. It also meant not a lot of time to play video games at all, let alone MMOs. Now I have tons of time, and I find that I'm hopping between several different games, some MMO, some SP.

Archived