Is it time to end GW2?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@kharmin.7683 said:

@tim.4596 said:

@starhunter.6015 said:if you don't want to play then leave, kinda getting tired of all of the bad attitudes and doom and gloom from players about the layoffs.

I'm sorry, but... how can you reply something like that? Can you elaborate a bit more? You've got players seriously concerned about the storyline of the game and your answer back to them is that?

It's one thing to be concerned about the story line and such but quite another thing to advocate the end of the game.

Okay, but I think it's pretty clear that the OP is contradictive on its own, one hand that person is talking about the layoffs and on the other he/she is making a point about the game storyline. I can't see, how both coincide in the first place. So the first comment made on his post is just plain 100% negativity for no reason at all.

@starhunter.6015 said:if you don't want to play then leave, kinda getting tired of all of the bad attitudes and doom and gloom from players about the layoffs.

Yea well allot of us gamers are getting tired of people blindly throwing money at companies that do not care about its player or games and it always happens in mmos its not doom and gloom its tons of experience with mmos that constantly do the same patterns and methods to its playerbase, now I am not saying the same thing is happening here but the signs are very similar right now.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:People need to stop overreacting. Those who act like it's end of the world and are leaving are the reason why GW2 is doing bad.For the love of all the cats, just stop with threads about layoffs. It happened and game will move forward and soon it will be just like it ever was, maybe even better because its their #1 focus again, which is what we all ever wanted.Just enjoy the game, talk nicely of it and people will come to it. If I was searching for an MMO and all I saw is depressing posts and stuff I'd be running away from it. You people are doing exactly the opposite. Just stop.

Lol sorry friend but this is incorrect, its not an overreaction when there is a track record to begin with, this is just a final nail in the coffin for many, its not based on one situation.

Just like Rock and Roll in the early days, people said it was a "Fad" and would die out. Guess what, ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE AND THE SAME GOES FOR GW2!!!!There are tons of games out there that are really old, very poorly done and the fanbase just keeps playing. If you hate this game so much go play somewhere else! This is the best MMO RPG out there right now in my opinion. If they focus on it there is tons of content to come. I hate coming to the forums because of the cry babies and the negative attitudes that just scare people away. I've played this game since it came out, and if new content is slow to come I go play something else (like you should). The minute they release new stuff I'm back and loving it. Of all the other games I've played this is by far the best!

Can people ever stop making forum topics like this? Literally every MMO forum has at least one “doom and gloom” thread every few forum pages and it is especially common when things sometimes don’t go as planned. Every person and every business has its ups and downs, it is a normal cycle of life. Just because they had to close a side project and lay-off people that worked on it (which is a normal thing in game dev), doesn’t mean that soon we will be forced to play Candy Crush, because Guild Wars 2 is no more.

It is one of the most successful and populated MMORPGs and it will most likely stay that way for many more years.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:People need to stop overreacting. Those who act like it's end of the world and are leaving are the reason why GW2 is doing bad.

I think you got it wrong there. People leave cause the game has gotten stale. It's not right to blame the people for leaving or think they overreact. Anet has stopped with any thing that's interesting. Recycling old boring festival content, while adding some new sigil and a kitten rare infusion. They just add living story missions with boring worlds, and gem store updates for the most part.

They have just given us false/empty promises to keep us interested in the game.

Like for example a 2nd set of legendary set of weapons. Which were announced long before the first expansion and isn't even done now long after the 2nd expansion pack.I also remember a promise about WvW being their top priority of 2017. Where not much good other than reward tracks and real auto loot happened.

I know what's going on in the game, I'm playing since launch.My point is, people that are playing want to leave and are moaning and complaining, especially now after layoffs. So that's pushing new people away. You'd also avoid trying out a game if all you saw is "dead game" threads, what would be the point of getting into it if you thought it was "dead".So like I said, existing people are leaving and they make sure to complain which in process pushes other, potential players, away when they see it.So ofc that in the end Anet can't pay 143 salaries.How about we all just shut up about layoffs and support Anet. Like I said, it's their #1 priority again and it will probably get better now that ALL of them are working on it instead of just small amount of people.

I play a really old Korean grinder called Rappelz from time to time. It's been having "the last nail in the coffin" since 2007. Now, it's down to two servers, but the same threads keep popping up there as they do on every MMO forum, and anyone that's reading an MMO forum looking for the next game to add to their library? They likely know that. Why? Because they've been on other MMO forums with the same stuff popping up.

To answer the OP, if you truly want to quit, you don't need anyone's permission, in so far as I'm aware, anyway, so just quit.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:People need to stop overreacting. Those who act like it's end of the world and are leaving are the reason why GW2 is doing bad.

I think you got it wrong there. People leave cause the game has gotten stale. It's not right to blame the people for leaving or think they overreact. Anet has stopped with any thing that's interesting. Recycling old boring festival content, while adding some new sigil and a kitten rare infusion. They just add living story missions with boring worlds, and gem store updates for the most part.

Like for example a 2nd set of legendary set of weapons. Which were announced long before the first expansion and isn't even done now long after the 2nd expansion pack.I also remember a promise about WvW being their top priority of 2017. Where not much good other than reward tracks and real auto loot happened.

I know what's going on in the game, I'm playing since launch.My point is, people that are playing want to leave and are moaning and complaining, especially now after layoffs. So that's pushing new people away. You'd also avoid trying out a game if all you saw is "dead game" threads, what would be the point of getting into it if you thought it was "dead".So like I said, existing people are leaving and they make sure to complain which in process pushes other, potential players, away when they see it.So ofc that in the end Anet can't pay 143 salaries.How about we all just shut up about layoffs and support Anet. Like I said, it's their #1 priority again and it will probably get better now that ALL of them are working on it instead of just small amount of people.

I play a really old Korean grinder called Rappelz from time to time.

This takes me WAY back!!My first serious MMO.

Thanks for this.

I play a really old Korean grinder called Rappelz from time to time. It's been having "the last nail in the coffin" since 2007. Now, it's down to two servers, but the same threads keep popping up there as they do on every MMO forum, and anyone that's reading an MMO forum looking for the next game to add to their library? They likely know that. Why? Because they've been on other MMO forums with the same stuff popping up.

To answer the OP, if you truly want to quit, you don't need anyone's permission, in so far as I'm aware, anyway, so just quit.

Thats an exception I can think of many mmos who closed down to simply loosing half the sales it did before.

@"Sneakr.3679" said:Just like Rock and Roll in the early days, people said it was a "Fad" and would die out. Guess what, ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE AND THE SAME GOES FOR GW2!!!!There are tons of games out there that are really old, very poorly done and the fanbase just keeps playing. If you hate this game so much go play somewhere else! This is the best MMO RPG out there right now in my opinion. If they focus on it there is tons of content to come. I hate coming to the forums because of the cry babies and the negative attitudes that just scare people away. I've played this game since it came out, and if new content is slow to come I go play something else (like you should). The minute they release new stuff I'm back and loving it. Of all the other games I've played this is by far the best!

Actually there are not tons of older mmos that stuck around there are some, like everquest mostly because it was sub based and no micros, eq2 is on its last legs wont be around much longer, lotro is still around because of the fanbase some goes sw games like that can easily rely on star wars fans and lord of the ring fans alone.

@Ryou.2398 said:

Thats an exception I can think of many mmos who closed down to simply loosing half the sales it did before.

An exception to what, exactly? You can peruse 10 MMO forums, of your choice, and I'll wager that you'll find at least one Doom thread on the first three pages of whatever they have for General Discussion forums. Aion had doom threads in the Closed Beta forums...

An exception to what, exactly? You can peruse 10 MMO forums, of your choice, and I'll wager that you'll find at least one Doom thread on the first three pages of whatever they have for General Discussion forums. Aion had doom threads in the Closed Beta forums...

Again the doom threads are actually factual for the most part because those allot of those closed down thats my point just because you have seen a few hanging by a thread does not mean they are not justified, also mmos that only have a few servers left are not worth playing or paying money to.

@Ryou.2398 said:

Again the doom threads are actually factual for the most part because those allot of those closed down thats my point just because you have seen a few hanging by a thread does not mean they are not justified, also mmos that only have a few servers left are not worth playing or paying money to.

Yes, we'll ignore the doom threads in the closed beta forums of Aion. Based on your criteria, we should also ignore this thread, because the game has more than a few active servers, making it part of the larger problem of "they're not doing what I like, so it's doomed". It's interesting to note, as well, that despite the Rappelz mention earlier, it didn't go to 2 servers until the middle of last year. So I guess all those threads in 2007 were, eventually, right? By that standard, can we say that all MMOs are dead before they release, since they will, eventually, close down?

@Gehenna.3625 said:..the real question there is if the revenue they get from the core fanbase is enough to sustain this game for the long term. Ncsoft said that under the existing circumstances it was not.

I don't know why people keep saying that. From all I've seen, NCSoft said the other 2 projects in development hell weren't working out, and didn't see them becoming successful enough to justify the amounting development costs.

This wasn't about GW2. If it was, they would have hardly left more developers for GW2 in place than the amount of people who created the entire core game from nothing in the first place, to keep working on it.

Guild Wars 2 revenue supported the development of 3 games, including itself, and still provided millions of profit after that, but sustaining the development of the two other games, providing zero revenue themselves, and probably for a long time still, cut too much into their profits for their liking, so they cut them, which unfortunately made a lot of people redundant.

I'm not sure how the conclusion from that is that GW2 is doomed or not profitable.

Yes, we'll ignore the doom threads in the closed beta forums of Aion. Based on your criteria, we should also ignore this thread, because the game has more than a few active servers, making it part of the larger problem of "they're not doing what I like, so it's doomed". It's interesting to note, as well, that despite the Rappelz mention earlier, it didn't go to 2 servers until the middle of last year. So I guess all those threads in 2007 were, eventually, right? By that standard, can we say that all MMOs are dead before they release, since they will, eventually, close down?

And by your standard we should ignore the entire history of any current mmo or the company we are playing right? I did not say anything about not ignoring doom threads that do not have it deserved did I? This is not aion we are talking about mostly in general your the one who thinks one example trumps all here, I have experience in countless mmos over the years personally, for the most part what you call doom threads are the same constructive criticisms that warned you to stop spending your money on those older mmos to begin with but of course many did not listen and end up getting burned, people are so quick to call out doom threads when in fact many are not, a good example would be bless online before it came out how many people where warned before they pre ordered because of the companys track record to begin with.

@Ryou.2398 said:

And by your standard we should ignore the entire history of any current mmo or the company we are playing right? I did not say anything about not ignoring doom threads that do not have it deserved did I? This is not aion we are talking about mostly in general your the one who thinks one example trumps all here, I have experience in countless mmos over the years personally, for the most part what you call doom threads are the same constructive criticisms that warned you to stop spending your money on those older mmos to begin with but of course many did not listen and end up getting burned, people are so quick to call out doom threads when in fact many are not, a good example would be bless online before it came out how many people where warned before they pre ordered because of the companys track record to begin with.

But if their are doom treads in every forum then they become quite meaningless.

@Ryou.2398 said:

I didn't pick one example, I listed a couple of my own, and suggested you could look at any ten you chose. Of course, you go on to confirm what I stated: These threads are really common in the industry. I'm not sure why you want to bicker about it, but hey, feel free.

@yann.1946 said:

But if their are doom treads in every forum then they become quite meaningless.

That was sort of what I was getting at. They're fairly close to as common as "nerf paper, scissors is fine as they are, Rock" threads.

The common thread in many of the posts on this forum is that only L80s play this game, that all the L80s have done everything there is to do and if they leave the game numbers MUST fall , because NO new players ever start playing.All that matters is that the there are players of any level in the game doing something.

I didn't pick one example, I listed a couple of my own, and suggested you could look at any ten you chose. Of course, you go on to confirm what I stated: These threads are really common in the industry. I'm not sure why you want to bicker about it, but hey, feel free.

So true ... I've YET to play a game that doesn't have doom threads on a constant basis. Heck, I've seen doom threads predicting the games won't last a month during the first week of it's release.

There isn't merit in these threads and they aren't factual at all; they always have a heavily negative bias and are driven by emotion, not facts.

The solution to this topic and its ilk is quite simple: Uninstall and walk away. Seriously, personally I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Also, the OP of this thread has had a history of pointless threads and endless trolling, hence the reason I always roll my eyes when I see their name.

@mauried.5608 said:The common thread in many of the posts on this forum is that only L80s play this game, that all the L80s have done everything there is to do and if they leave the game numbers MUST fall , because NO new players ever start playing.All that matters is that the there are players of any level in the game doing something.

There are some of us starting anew, i think the latest wow expansion led to a fair few people trying out other muds - that was how i got here.

Tried path of exile, couldn't get into it...FFIX- Four hours of cut scenes before i got to hit anything, it may be fab but i couldnt face another cut sceneGW2- Straight into the action, and was hooked...

As to the doom and gloom, all MMO have these topics on their forums 'xxx is dying'

This is still one of the big 3/4 i think..

Archived