Is it time to end GW2?

@trev.1045 said:

@mauried.5608 said:The common thread in many of the posts on this forum is that only L80s play this game, that all the L80s have done everything there is to do and if they leave the game numbers MUST fall , because NO new players ever start playing.All that matters is that the there are players of any level in the game doing something.

There are some of us starting anew, i think the latest wow expansion led to a fair few people trying out other muds - that was how i got here.

Tried path of exile, couldn't get into it...FFIX- Four hours of cut scenes before i got to hit anything, it may be fab but i couldnt face another cut sceneGW2- Straight into the action, and was hooked...

As to the doom and gloom, all MMO have these topics on their forums 'xxx is dying'

This is still one of the big 3/4 i think..

The unfortunate truth is there is not another mmos coming out for a while that looks half way decent but we will certianly be getting some promising ones later this year. But all the current ones are truly starting to blend together as far as standards go and that is not good at all.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ryou.2398 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:People need to stop overreacting. Those who act like it's end of the world and are leaving are the reason why GW2 is doing bad.For the love of all the cats, just stop with threads about layoffs. It happened and game will move forward and soon it will be just like it ever was, maybe even better because its their #1 focus again, which is what we all ever wanted.Just enjoy the game, talk nicely of it and people will come to it. If I was searching for an MMO and all I saw is depressing posts and stuff I'd be running away from it. You people are doing exactly the opposite. Just stop.

Lol sorry friend but this is incorrect, its not an overreaction when there is a track record to begin with, this is just a final nail in the coffin for many, its not based on one situation.

So how many situations is it based on exactly. I can think of one..City of Heroes. You can't say it's based on Wildstar, because Wildstar was practically dead before NcSoft pulled the plug. I honestly wish people would stop saying a single data point or even two is some sort of pattern. It is an over-reaction because City of Heroes probably never had the number of players Guild Wars 2 did, at any point in it's history. It certainly didn't bring in the same revenue. So you can't really compare it.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:People need to stop overreacting. Those who act like it's end of the world and are leaving are the reason why GW2 is doing bad.For the love of all the cats, just stop with threads about layoffs. It happened and game will move forward and soon it will be just like it ever was, maybe even better because its their #1 focus again, which is what we all ever wanted.Just enjoy the game, talk nicely of it and people will come to it. If I was searching for an MMO and all I saw is depressing posts and stuff I'd be running away from it. You people are doing exactly the opposite. Just stop.

Lol sorry friend but this is incorrect, its not an overreaction when there is a track record to begin with, this is just a final nail in the coffin for many, its not based on one situation.

So how many situations is it based on exactly. I can think of one..City of Heroes. You can't say it's based on Wildstar, because Wildstar was practically dead before NcSoft pulled the plug. I honestly wish people would stop saying a single data point or even two is some sort of pattern. It is an over-reaction because City of Heroes probably never had the number of players Guild Wars 2 did, at any point in it's history. It certainly didn't bring in the same revenue. So you can't really compare it.

I did not say it was about other mmos but it likely is for some, actually coh had the numbers thats a complete fabricated lie and many have shown this I suggest you stop being blinded by any fanboyism at this point and try to research a bit deeper.

@Ryou.2398 said:

I did not say it was about other mmos but it likely is for some, actually coh had the numbers thats a complete fabricated lie and many have shown this I suggest you stop being blinded by any fanboyism at this point and try to research a bit deeper.

City of Heroes grossed as much as 12 million dollars annually. Guild Wars 2 grosses more than that per quarter. That doesn't speak to profitability, but just on base sales, it took two years for City of Heroes to get up to Guild Wars 2 pre launch numbers. That is Guild Wars 2 has 4 million prelaunch sales and by the time City of Heroes was 2 years old, it hadn't hit that number yet.

It's nice to like a game and I have nothing against City of Heroes, but it was never as high in the MMO world as you'd like to think it was. Most people think Guild Wars 2 is sitting in the top five MMORPGS, or has for a long long time. I can't ever remember seeing City of Heroes on the top five list at any time.

It was a niche product that was wildly popular among its fan base, but never reached mainstream popularity, much like Guild Wars 1. Guild Wars 1 numbers can't touch Guild Wars 2 numbers either.

Since NcSoft reports are a matter of public record, you could do a bit of research yourself, look at what the games made, and figure this out, before you start trying to invalidate what people say and calling them a fan boi.

The irony of this situation is that being a fan boi of City of Heroes doesn't actually make you more entitled to speak without facts than me being a fan boi of Guild Wars 2. But I was speaking of facts. This game is far far more successful than City of Heroes ever was, even at this point.

That doesn't mean it's more profitable. But it could well mean that the higher profile/higher footpriint changes the situation with regards to business decisions. Just a thought.

Edit: Wildstar is even a more clear cut case, since before it actually closed, it's profits were no longer reported individually because it simply wasn't making enough to support it's profits.

I don't want it to end, but the future does not look bright. No xpack with new features, devs can't add simple QOL features that even mobile games have had, wvw support is gone (new mount reskin is not new content).etc.

I'd rather them tell us it's over and the game is going into gw1 mode than continuing to play and invest time only to continue to hear nothing from the devs until the day they announce the games end.

Anet, as paying customers we need an answer.

Is the game going to be seriously supported or not.

@wickedkae.4980 i would say WvW is on staled mode, anything can only happen after Alliance gets deployed, IMO was to soon for the mount itself, reason mount ended bad designed for what we have atm, and that doenst feel right for alot of players (wich makes sense...).

i dont think WvW support is dead, its just that what players want dont fit with Anet ideals....reason why some (me included) feel wvw/game has no decent support.

@Asum.4960 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:..the real question there is if the revenue they get from the core fanbase is enough to sustain this game for the long term. Ncsoft said that under the existing circumstances it was not.

I don't know why people keep saying that. From all I've seen, NCSoft said the other 2 projects in development hell weren't working out, and didn't see them becoming successful enough to justify the amounting development costs.When you balance the book for a company you need to take into account all revenue and cost. GW2 is their only revenue and apparently it's not enough to support those extra projects to development.This wasn't about GW2. If it was, they would have hardly left more developers for GW2 in place than the amount of people who created the entire core game from nothing in the first place, to keep working on it.That's not entirely true. Because of those extra projects ArenaNet pulled people off GW2 and left it to the LS teams, thereby pushing back the next expansion. A delayed expansion is a bad move in my view because we see that expansions bring in money and are much more high profile than LS chapters. This effect is now at least delayed for at least a year. That's not good for their revenue stream and therefore cost cutting must take into account that GW2 will not bring in as much money as before.Guild Wars 2 revenue supported the development of 3 games, including itself, and still provided millions of profit after that, but sustaining the development of the two other games, providing zero revenue themselves, and probably for a long time still, cut too much into their profits for their liking, so they cut them, which unfortunately made a lot of people redundant.That's entirely my point and that's in fact what I said so I'm not sure why you are responding in this way. Perhaps you assumed I was in a specific camp and therefore din't actually read what I said but rather responded what you decided I was saying instead of what I was actually saying.I'm not sure how the conclusion from that is that GW2 is doomed or not profitable.I'm not sure either. It certainly isn't my conclusion so I'm not sure why you are saying this here.

@"Mortifera.6138" said:In light of the layoffs, everyone wants it (the game) to not end abruptly, but what if its conclusion is right on schedule?

Think about it: spoilers we are currently facing Kralkatorrik. The Elder Dragons are more powerful than the Gods, and Kralkatorrik is the most powerful of the Elder Dragons. That makes him the most powerful character in the game. What better way to end things than to fight Kralkatorrik?

If we keep going with the game because we don’t want to say goodbye, that means they’ll drag on the story longer than it needs to go, or retcon in some new, bigger bad guy. It’ll be like WoW after finishing Wrath of the Lich King, or after we defeated Sargeras at the end of Legion.

So, this poses the question: regardless of whether or not you want to keep playing new content for as long as possible — we all want this to last — is it really in the game’s best interest to keep going? In other words, would you really rather play a mediocre, watered down Guild Wars 2 instead of just letting if end?

Why is Kralkatorrik the most powerful dragon? The end-all-be-all of the dragons? Why can't "bubbles" be stronger? Why can't there be guild wars that flares up again? Why can't the Mists bleed into reality on a larger scale than ever before, ushered forth through instabilities from the destruction of another elder dragon?

Primordus is still down there in the magma too in his now pre-awakened state. He could be relevant again.

There's so many interesting things that could keep the story and game going for years upon years without it being watered down. We don't have to fight a dragon or a God either, it could be a powerful mage, a warrior, a nation. The lay-offs are obviously a sad thing. People have lost their jobs. But I don't think Guild Wars 2 is going away anytime soon. They are likely now re-focusing their efforts on Guild Wars 2 entirely rather than having secret behind-doors projects that were taking up developers and their focus. That doesn't mean I am happy to hear about the hundreds of people who lost their jobs though.

@"Mortifera.6138" said:What better way to end things than to fight Kralkatorrik?

You know what reaction that would cause on my end: "Wow... I spent years of free time playing a game that never reached its full potential, never its proper level of satisfaction storywise and in other departments. Elder dragons, pfft, that's all? That's it then? What a waste of time that was. I'm feeling completely unsatisfied, disappointed and downright angry with GW2, I don't think I'll ever buy another ArenaNet product." GG.

@Ryou.2398 said:

@"mauried.5608" said:The common thread in many of the posts on this forum is that only L80s play this game, that all the L80s have done everything there is to do and if they leave the game numbers MUST fall , because NO new players ever start playing.All that matters is that the there are players of any level in the game doing something.

There are some of us starting anew, i think the latest wow expansion led to a fair few people trying out other muds - that was how i got here.

Tried path of exile, couldn't get into it...FFIX- Four hours of cut scenes before i got to hit anything, it may be fab but i couldnt face another cut sceneGW2- Straight into the action, and was hooked...

As to the doom and gloom, all MMO have these topics on their forums 'xxx is dying'

The unfortunate truth is there is not another mmos coming out for a while that looks half way decent but we will certianly be getting some promising ones later this year. But all the current ones are truly starting to blend together as far as standards go and that is not good at all.

Yeah, going to stop you right there: the chance of any of those "new" MMOs being the making of your dreams is about as big as you winning the lottery. New MMO hype is nothing new, people always assume the next MMO is going to be the one they will love and which will get everything right. News flash: that's never the case (especially in the content department).

If you are to young to realize this, don't worry, you'll learn. If you are old enough to have experienced this but still want to naively believe in miracles, be my guest.

There is tons of MMOs people play and enjoy currently, and most of the new ones, while often visually more stunning due to newer engines and graphics, are bound mostly to the same limitations as previous MMOs. There will be grind, there will be lack of content (especially with new MMOs), there will be expansions, you will grow bored of the game unless you find people to play with and given recent years, there might be pay to win or heavy micro-transactions present.

@Ryou.2398 said:

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:People need to stop overreacting. Those who act like it's end of the world and are leaving are the reason why GW2 is doing bad.For the love of all the cats, just stop with threads about layoffs. It happened and game will move forward and soon it will be just like it ever was, maybe even better because its their #1 focus again, which is what we all ever wanted.Just enjoy the game, talk nicely of it and people will come to it. If I was searching for an MMO and all I saw is depressing posts and stuff I'd be running away from it. You people are doing exactly the opposite. Just stop.

Going to leave this here:https://www.mmorpg.com/city-of-heroes/general-articles/profitable-or-not-1000007015

With the following quote from the article:

This complies with to the notion that NCsoft tried to work with Paragon to make things work and keep the game alive, but the Q2 2012 Earnings Report seems to jive with our anonymous friend's claims. CoH seemed to, at least during that window, be bringing in around 3-4 million dollars a month in revenue. What that doesn't account for however is how much overhead the game had to contend with and if the $4 million annual overhead claims by our source is correct. The report doesn't specifically state how much CoH cost to maintain. MMOs are expensive projects, as we well know.

What our source did tell us is that about 80 people were employed at Paragon Studios, and even if the average income for all employees there was $50K a year, that's still $4 mln a year in just wages alone and I'm estimating on the low end of the pay scale. Add in benefits other taxes and that number increases dramatically. And that's just labor costs. Still, one has to wonder how much it cost to actually run and maintain City of Heroes. In the end, this could be a simple case. CoH may have been making a profit, but that profit margin was likely shrinking through Q3 (the game was omitted from that report). Rather than continuing to scale back the game until it was on life-support, it's possible that the businessmen at the company decided a more suitable fate was to end the game's life altogether rather than let it become a financial viability and 'wither on the vine'.

TL;DR: CoH was niche, barely covering its cost with declining revenue and no prospect to grow. Unfortunate, since it's always tragic to see an online game go, but let's not make this games closing a bigger issue than it was in relation to closing studios (I'm sure it was a big issue to players involved as well as developers).

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:After Kralkatorrik we could have an expansion where evil Girl Scouts invade Tyria and set up cookie stands by the bank and trading post, selling thin mint cookies at inflated prices and creating a horrendous thin mint addiction. In that expansion Lions Arc is destroyed (again) in the titanic struggle to contain the flood of addicting cookies into the city.

If you don’t think the Girl Scouts selling thin mints would be a bigger bad than Kralkatorrik then you haven’t had to walk by their cookie stands and felt the tremendous gravitational pull that boxes of thin mints generate. Star Trek tractor beams are nothing to that.

That storyline actually sounds very close to the story they had earlier. Maybe that wasintended, but wow yeah very Similar,

If I had a dollar every time someone asked if it's time to end GW2 or if it has run its course...

Hell no, game is still doing fine, betting the 250-300 strong team at Anet are working their socks off for LW5 and next xpac as we speak. No reason not to look forward with optimism.

In the meantime go whack some fellow players in PvP or WvW - which of course are due some heavily deserved TLC too.

The game would have ended six years ago if they listended to people who "wanted the game to end" or those who thought the game had already reached it's peak in quality. Neither do I wish games to end just because I lost interest myself. Seems a little silly and rather selfish to me.

GW2 is still a popular MMO and I can't see it being in immediate danger of getting shutdown. The CoH comparisons are easy to make because of NCsoft but, as mentioned before, CoH was nowhere near as popular as GW2 currently is when they pulled the plug. For me the real worry is a "slow death" which happens gradually and it's much harder to predict. And by that I mean slowing content delivery to a crawl or outright stopping. This can even happen to a game that seems in a good place but the publisher doesn't find its earnings good enough to justify further development or simply wants to focus resources elsewhere. Bioware seriously considered seizing development on SWTOR, another popular MMO, to fully focus resources on making Anthem. In the end they decided not to but I remember the TOR forums being ablaze, when news broke, just from the fact it was considered. And rightly so because the state of the game didn't give any clues of something that drastic happening. It is far too early to say that for GW2 though, we know next LS is coming and by then we will have a clue about future plans.

That said no MMO ever died because its narrative team ran out of big bad dragons to kill. And we still have a few of them left anyway.

@"trev.1045" said:I hope to heck it is going nowhere as only just discovered the game.

I have to ask though are staff always this quiet? I know the layoffs were tough on them and i sympathise, but there doesnt seem to be staff active in these forums?

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussions/tagged/arenanet

Because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it isn't.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@"trev.1045" said:I hope to heck it is going nowhere as only just discovered the game.

I have to ask though are staff always this quiet? I know the layoffs were tough on them and i sympathise, but there doesnt seem to be staff active in these forums?

Because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it isn't.

Thank You

The rise of the lich dragon, you are what you eat. What I would like to see the core of the game refreshed with events that cycled through multiple plot decision points to be unique, just giving a selection of different path to different outcome events starts to remove the fixed world problem and replace it with a world that is no longer static, Risking players only returning for new maps and quests is a waste of development effort.

Sometimes the cook did it, sometimes the butler, the names change, the problems change, but the city is always forever.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"mauried.5608" said:The common thread in many of the posts on this forum is that only L80s play this game, that all the L80s have done everything there is to do and if they leave the game numbers MUST fall , because NO new players ever start playing.All that matters is that the there are players of any level in the game doing something.

Yeah, going to stop you right there: the chance of any of those "new" MMOs being the making of your dreams is about as big as you winning the lottery. New MMO hype is nothing new, people always assume the next MMO is going to be the one they will love and which will get everything right. News flash: that's never the case (especially in the content department).

If you are to young to realize this, don't worry, you'll learn. If you are old enough to have experienced this but still want to naively believe in miracles, be my guest.

There is tons of MMOs people play and enjoy currently, and most of the new ones, while often visually more stunning due to newer engines and graphics, are bound mostly to the same limitations as previous MMOs. There will be grind, there will be lack of content (especially with new MMOs), there will be expansions, you will grow bored of the game unless you find people to play with and given recent years, there might be pay to win or heavy micro-transactions present.

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:People need to stop overreacting. Those who act like it's end of the world and are leaving are the reason why GW2 is doing bad.For the love of all the cats, just stop with threads about layoffs. It happened and game will move forward and soon it will be just like it ever was, maybe even better because its their #1 focus again, which is what we all ever wanted.Just enjoy the game, talk nicely of it and people will come to it. If I was searching for an MMO and all I saw is depressing posts and stuff I'd be running away from it. You people are doing exactly the opposite. Just stop.

Going to leave this here:

With the following quote from the article:

This complies with to the notion that NCsoft tried to work with Paragon to make things work and keep the game alive, but the Q2 2012 Earnings Report seems to jive with our anonymous friend's claims.
CoH seemed to, at least during that window, be bringing in around 3-4 million dollars a month in revenue. What that doesn't account for however is how much overhead the game had to contend with and if the $4 million annual overhead claims by our source is correct. The report doesn't specifically state how much CoH cost to maintain. MMOs are expensive projects, as we well know.

What our source did tell us is that about 80 people were employed at Paragon Studios, and even if the average income for all employees there was $50K a year, that's still $4 mln a year in just wages alone and I'm estimating on the low end of the pay scale.
Add in benefits other taxes and that number increases dramatically. And that's just labor costs. Still, one has to wonder how much it cost to actually run and maintain City of Heroes. In the end, this could be a simple case.
CoH may have been making a profit, but that profit margin was likely shrinking through Q3 (the game was omitted from that report). Rather than continuing to scale back the game until it was on life-support, it's possible that the businessmen at the company decided a more suitable fate was to end the game's life altogether rather than let it become a financial viability and 'wither on the vine'.

TL;DR: CoH was niche, barely covering its cost with declining revenue and no prospect to grow. Unfortunate, since it's always tragic to see an online game go, but let's not make this games closing a bigger issue than it was in relation to closing studios (I'm sure it was a big issue to players involved as well as developers).

Yea first of all stop making assumptions about me, I did not say anything about these mmorpgs becoming big I said they look more promising keyword look and all you did was put a bunch of assumptions and judgements about me ive been playing mmos since everquest 1 in 99 so you really need to rethink your entire reply to me, I actually understand mmos far more then you think, and sorry just because some are enjoying mmos does not mean they offer much, the mmo market has been dying for a while because of the standards of mmos lately to begin with. Also I read that it had more to do with shares then anything for example what this person talks about here https://www.quora.com/Why-did-City-of-Heroes-get-shut-down and there is this https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/9b4iaz/wildstar_dev_comments_on_closing_of_city_of_heroes/ the truth is there are lots of rumors floating around but either way there is no real proof of what really happened.

I would never trust mmorpg.com for a news source they are a paid website to hype up and give good reviews on certain games they are as corrupt as others, anyways companies lie all the time about how much they make so again there is no real proof coh was dying. When I played it had tons of subbers before f2p tons of populated servers. I have always been iffy about those earnings websites to.

@Vayne.8563 said:

City of Heroes grossed as much as 12 million dollars annually. Guild Wars 2 grosses more than that per quarter. That doesn't speak to profitability, but just on base sales, it took two years for City of Heroes to get up to Guild Wars 2 pre launch numbers. That is Guild Wars 2 has 4 million prelaunch sales and by the time City of Heroes was 2 years old, it hadn't hit that number yet.

It's nice to like a game and I have nothing against City of Heroes, but it was never as high in the MMO world as you'd like to think it was. Most people think Guild Wars 2 is sitting in the top five MMORPGS, or has for a long long time. I can't ever remember seeing City of Heroes on the top five list at any time.

It was a niche product that was wildly popular among its fan base, but never reached mainstream popularity, much like Guild Wars 1. Guild Wars 1 numbers can't touch Guild Wars 2 numbers either.

Since NcSoft reports are a matter of public record, you could do a bit of research yourself, look at what the games made, and figure this out, before you start trying to invalidate what people say and calling them a fan boi.

The irony of this situation is that being a fan boi of City of Heroes doesn't actually make you more entitled to speak without facts than me being a fan boi of Guild Wars 2. But I was speaking of facts. This game is far far more successful than City of Heroes ever was, even at this point.

That doesn't mean it's more profitable. But it could well mean that the higher profile/higher footpriint changes the situation with regards to business decisions. Just a thought.

Edit: Wildstar is even a more clear cut case, since before it actually closed, it's profits were no longer reported individually because it simply wasn't making enough to support it's profits.

I think its funny how some of you keep thinking I said anything about gw2 being more profitable or not vs a much older mmo.

@Ryou.2398 said:

I think its funny how some of you keep thinking I said anything about gw2 being more profitable or not vs a much older mmo.

You did, at the very least you insinuated something factually incorrect:

@Ryou.2398 said:

I did not say it was about other mmos but it likely is for some,
actually coh had the numbers thats a complete fabricated lie
and many have shown this I suggest you stop being blinded by any fanboyism at this point and try to research a bit deeper.

You might not like mmorpg.com, but you can't argue with financial reports (which is all I would have linked to, but you did not seem as though you had taken a look at CoHs ones yet). Your statement that CoH "had the numbers" in comparison to GW2 is just that: a biased incorrect assumption that both games are in some sort of similar situation which would lead to GW2 seeing a similar fate. As was pointed out to you, this is plain untrue (with GW2 vastly outperforming CoH even in its darkest hours). Your subjective feeling of how well the CoH did is beaten by cold hard facts and revenue numbers.

For anything else, sure you can hope and maybe one of the new MMOs will draw your attention. Given you have been playing since Everquest, I'm sure your had your share of disappointments and delights in the MMO market. What is dirty though is to bring this hype nonsense in these doom and gloom threads with: I'm not even sure which goal.

To answer original OP question: Well, at the end, I am very egoistic and for me, what counts is my own interest. I want to keep playing the game as long as it gets. As easy as that. After all the years, I still play GW1 for example! I don't find it mediocre. I just enjoy it and would miss it if it would stop.

I believe the answer to OP question is very much depending on the type of player we are. Criteria to define a game is mediocre is much related to what do we each expect of the game. Personally, I like to feel home in a game. Of course, I appreciate to see new content, but I have no need for that to keep playing it. I am generally a slow learner/adapter and every new change - even if I like it - causes that my pile of unfinished business is growing a bit more up. By now in GW2, a lifetime would probably not be sufficient to catch back on my delay. :3

So, in short, in my case, it will never be time to stop the game until the moment Anet will decide that the business case is dead and can't be kept going anymore. I would then have no choice. :#

Archived