Deleting high level characters... yea or nay?

I am in a different boat slightly. Created a character only played that character didn't create another for over a year. Almost two. Oops. Yes I get the original characters birthday rewards but man. If only I'd made some placeholders. And it's SO easy to redo looks for characters.

@SilverArrowsMP.2957 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:Doesn't change a word I've said. The fact that you think comparing a sub game to what's available free in a buy to play game is the problem and it IS a problem. Games have to be funded. This game is funded by voluntary purchases which have to have some value. Bringing up a sub game, without bringing up the sub is just pointless, because it's not the same payment model so the comparison is unfair.

You may be happy paying a sub. I guarantee you a percentage of the playerbase would not be happy pay a sub, probably a significant percentage. This game is funded by the cash shop. If we made it so everything you could get in WOW you could get for $15 a month, this game would not exist. I don't suppose you could do ANY appearance changes if the game wasn't here at all.

Are you even reading my comments?? I am talking about
ONE
thing... appearance changes, and you are acting like making that
ONE
thing doable with in-game gold will somehow bankrupt ArenaNet. It's extremely sad if you have such little faith in the quality of content this game provides that making one change like that would end its lifespan. I am not asking for free bank tabs or bag slots or character slots or minis or skins or indestructible gathering tools or dye packs or the God knows how many other things are sold in the cash shop!!!

My OP was about whether or not to delete characters and all you have managed to do is pick out the one thing I said (not in the OP) I dislike about
ALL
MMO's and go on some tangent about how I am apparently clueless as to how F2P (or B2P is you have the expacs) games make money. You have contributed absolutely nothing to what this discussion was created for.

I'm reading what you're saying. But the same argument could be applied to ANYTHING someone cared about. For you that's changing your appearance all the time. That's not my issue, because I have more of those than I need, and I've never paid for one. That's your issue. More people complain about mount/glider skins, or outfits. The point is the wider the range of stuff in the cash shop, the more people you catch in the net of having to spend some money which is good business. It's not about making one little change, because you personally want it. This game isn't being programmed for one person and one person alone. The marketing strategy isn't being made based on one person and one person alone.

Your comment is that if this one change was made, the company wouldn't go out of business. Of course not. But then, people could say the same about anything in the cash shop that THEY cared about.

I never understood why ppl delete characters instead of just putting up the money for another character slot. I have 9 slots for the 9 professions and ive never thought twice about getting more or worrying about who I should delete next because im getting bored with this guy or interested in that guy. its crazy how people can put so much time into one thing and just delete it, and do it over and over too. is your time really that worthless?

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:its crazy how people can put so much time into one thing and just delete it, and do it over and over too. is your time really that worthless?

Since this thread is getting a bit chippy, I thought I'd add to it.

You may not get bored of your old characters, but other people might. For some, perhaps building a new character from scratch is their idea of fun versus continually playing one they have had for a while. Lots of marriages don't last, why should relations with a game toon necessarily be more permanent?

About 1 yr into the game I deleted ALL my characters.

Frankly I was bored with them and the game itself. Took a 6 month break and slowly came back, levelling 9 more toons over the years until now.

Don't regret it but that's my choice - YMMV.

I do wish their was some way of swapping races though or at least being able to move maxed crafting disciplines to another toon. Frankly I hate my Asura Guard and wish I could just delete him or change his race.

@Gorkus.7496 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:its crazy how people can put so much time into one thing and just delete it, and do it over and over too. is your time really that worthless?

You may not get bored of your old characters, but other people might. For some, perhaps building a new character from scratch is their idea of fun versus continually playing one they have had for a while. Lots of marriages don't last, why should relations with a game toon necessarily be more permanent?

alright alright. it just really throws me off. to clarify a bit im not specifically referring to ppl who consider remaking characters over and over fun, but more ppl who do so because they refuse to throw down some dollars (or time to farm gold) to buy new slots.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

alright alright. it just really throws me off. to clarify a bit im not specifically referring to ppl who consider remaking characters over and over fun, but more ppl who do so because they refuse to throw down some dollars (or time to farm gold) to buy new slots.

It wasn’t worth trading the gold/money to wind up with an occupied slot that I would literally do nothing with. So I cut out the middle bit and deleted the character, that I would never play had I bought another slot, to remake the character I would play. It’s really very simple.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:I never understood why ppl delete characters instead of just putting up the money for another character slot. I have 9 slots for the 9 professions and ive never thought twice about getting more or worrying about who I should delete next because im getting bored with this guy or interested in that guy. its crazy how people can put so much time into one thing and just delete it, and do it over and over too. is your time really that worthless?

Same. 800 gems is so trivial to get. It isn't even the price of a set of ascended armor. You never know what kind of utility a level 80 could do; even serving as a duplicate for different builds so you don't have to waste your time constantly swap around is a big QoL improvement if you ask me. Or whatever parking spot for some resource you need.

I think this thread has done a pretty good job of illustrating how diverse a community we have in terms of what's important in a game.

• Lots of practical types (including myself) who would rather invest 800 gems and have new characters (for mules, for gifts, etc)
  • Lots of "in the moment" folks, who would prefer to enjoy what's in front of them, rather than try to turn everything into a question of efficient investment.

Lucky for all of us: the game is big enough to offer a lot to all sorts.

Lots of "in the moment" folks, who would prefer to enjoy what's in front of them, rather than try to turn everything into a question of efficient investment.

Depends on what is classified as an efficient investment. I wouldn’t consider a character slot that would sit empty, or used by a character I don’t play efficient. We all play the game differently, so if one knows they would never play a character, there’s no use keeping it around in my eyes, that is practical. My account value (what it all boils down to really) hasn’t stunted because of my decisions to delete characters rather than park them somewhere or mule them, or keep for birthday gifts.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I think this thread has done a pretty good job of illustrating how diverse a community we have in terms of what's important in a game.

• Lots of practical types (including myself) who would rather invest 800 gems and have new characters (for mules, for gifts, etc)
  • Lots of "in the moment" folks, who would prefer to enjoy what's in front of them, rather than try to turn everything into a question of efficient investment.

A funny aspect of the diverse viewpoints is that while I share your position, including never deleting a character more than 6mo to a year old, I would use "practical" about the people deleting any characters they don't actively use :D

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I think this thread has done a pretty good job of illustrating how diverse a community we have in terms of what's important in a game.

A funny aspect of the diverse viewpoints is that while I share your position, including never deleting a character more than 6mo to a year old, I would use "practical" about the people deleting any characters they don't actively use :D

Ah, that's fair.I did struggle with coming up with two adjectives that weren't opposites :/

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:I never understood why ppl delete characters instead of just putting up the money for another character slot. I have 9 slots for the 9 professions and ive never thought twice about getting more or worrying about who I should delete next because im getting bored with this guy or interested in that guy. its crazy how people can put so much time into one thing and just delete it, and do it over and over too. is your time really that worthless?

Lemme ask you this. One day, will you stop playing this game? When you do, you'll be letting go of all those hours invested. The memory will have to be enough to sustain you. The question isn't whether to delete - but when. Is it worth sticking with a toon if you don't expect to play it anymore?

@Biff.5312 said:

Lemme ask you this. One day, will you stop playing this game? When you do, you'll be letting go of all those hours invested. The memory will have to be enough to sustain you. The question isn't whether to delete - but when. Is it worth sticking with a toon if you don't expect to play it anymore?

no lol, its not the same. not even close.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived