no one does underwater group event bosses

@MysticReaper.4318 said:no one does underwaterFixed that for you. For a variety of reasons, a lot of people never got into 3d movement or fighting. It might be the not-ready-for-prime-time skills|traits (see @VPK.1796 regarding one example). It might be the clunkiness of the movement controls. It might be that people really have trouble with thinking in 3d. It might be lackluster gear.

Also note: ANet has done more to discourage underwater than encourage it. They've removed some underwater locations (it's gone from WvW for the most part), there haven't been new legendaries for underwater or even new skins. They've done one revamp of skills (which didn't address all of them, just some of the worst) and added the swim-speed infusion, but locked that into needing a 7th piece of armor, which most people don't want to bother with (and for which acquisition is more limited).

tl;dr underwater simply isn't popular in the first place

Personally, I do underwater stuff if I happen to be close enough. Otherwise, for me, it's just another event I've done many times before.

@VPK.1796 said:I can't use my flamethrower underwater

and yet Burning condition continues to work..... :expressionless:

On my Guardian, I love underwater combat. Same goes for my Revenant and Hunter. On my Scourge, I hate it. On my Engineer, I'm torn, because while I love torpedos, I hate that half of my utilities don't work. My Mesmer, Warrior and Thief would rather just stay on the beach.

I have nothing against underwater combat, it's just clunky and not as fun to do as terrestrial combat. If they fix that, bring on the seahorses!

I do Fluffy whenever I am in the area. It is alive in most cases and no one bothers fighting it until I have him to 30-70 % HP. Then people come from every direction. It is magic ^^.

Nah. Underwater bosses are a bit tricky to deal with. If you do not have enough sustain, the best way is to kite them. Fluffy however is special, as it triggers Retaliation frequently. So when you kite him with projectiles, you sooner or later hurt yourself. If you are using a grenade-kit, as I do, you can almost kill yourself if you see the buff too late XD. Still, the fight is one of the easiest and quite relaxing. Rhendak can be fought kiting as well, if you happen to face him alone.

I have also fought the Drake in Ember Bay and even the Legendary one in the Domain of Kourna. As long as the beasts do not shoot projectiles, kiting works. The Kourna one however is really ugly, as it can 1-shot me with a single strike. On my last try, I had him down to 40 % HP, then faced a small lagg and all progress was gone :S.

When I gear a character, I always gear it completely. Every ascended set includes an Aquabreather and Underwater Weapons. I know that several fractal farmers, even some of the hardcore players, still use exotic breathers.

I am really interested in (under)water-content. Still wating for an epic Octopus fight, but for the time being I practice with Fluffy.

I'm definitely in that group of players that want the next expansion/mass-explorable-zone to be Underwater. Naturally, the whole area doesn't need to be underwater -- we could have deep sea caverns, islands, small towns floating on the ocean, etc.

Deep Sea dragon or a new threat in Cantha could be the perfect thing to lure us over there.

Of course, with a direction like this, I would hope for a massive underwater update. Fix the skills, make movement smoother, introduce masteries that improve quality of life under water (leyline-esque currents?) and throw in an underwater mount. Gliders from HoT have changed vanilla Tyria for me and PoF's mounts too have improved the vanilla world for me. A massive and clever change to underwater travel/combat may do the same. :)

Some of the most beautiful settings I've seen were underwater so it is a shame to just ignore it and regard it as a terrible part of the game!

@Ultramex.1506 said:Really sad for UW, it need a rework to keep it alive because there aren't that many mmo have UW combat, you think we don't need UW content but just like we think we don't need mount, Anet might surprise us.

most games with underwater levels are generally despised in general... that includes non-MMOs... just look at legend of zelda... the underwater temple in that game was just fking annoying... and thats just 1 example... no company can ever seem to do underwater combat or level designs right.

Underwater combat has never really been focused on ingame. If I'm remembering correctly only a few story instances in just the vanilla game even take you underwater. To tell you the truth, the character I've played the most still has rare or worse underwater gear. There is just no real incentive to fight mobs underwater right now outside of reaching a handful of achievements. Skimmer existing also provides players with a way to literally skip over water content. Would love to see an overhaul whenever the next expansion drops. Maybe have a map with a small city floating above the ocean to force players to travel the ocean on either a Skimmer or a unique underwater mount. This also makes me consider now that ANet might be scared to release an water overhaul because of the desire of players to have underwater mounts. Neither of the expansions so far are reliant on owning the other but a new one would likely require at least PoF.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@MysticReaper.4318 said:no one does underwaterFixed that for you. For a variety of reasons, a lot of people never got into 3d movement or fighting. It might be the not-ready-for-prime-time skills|traits (see @VPK.1796 regarding one example). It might be the clunkiness of the movement controls. It might be that people really have trouble with thinking in 3d. It might be lackluster gear.

Also note: ANet has done more to discourage underwater than encourage it. They've removed some underwater locations (it's gone from WvW for the most part), there haven't been new legendaries for underwater or even new skins. They've done one revamp of skills (which didn't address all of them, just some of the worst) and added the swim-speed infusion, but locked that into needing a 7th piece of armor, which most people don't want to bother with (and for which acquisition is more limited).

tl;dr underwater simply isn't popular in the first place

Personally, I do underwater stuff if I happen to be close enough. Otherwise, for me, it's just another event I've done many times before.

Underwater mobs also suffer from very sloppy implementation. Mobs that can hit extremely with barely any or no tell. Weird hitboxes that doesn't match their visuals which affects hitting them and getting hit. The water equivalent of griffons which means evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade except they don't even have the courtesy of showing an animation like the griffons.

Some underwater weapon skills are also very ... not fun.

All of this said however... i would love some water themed elite specs... (not saying these should be underwater elite specs.. just water themed... like how the PoF ones were themed around sand)... there is a bunch of stuff they could do with the water theme without actually requiring you to be underwater.