[Suggestion] More practical Options for Female Armour

@"Dawdler.8521" said:There is plenty of armor in the game that look exactly like in your pic.

Why do you call it juvenile though? If your high end armorers had the capability of basicly making wearable Chobham armor 0.2 inches thick along with literal magical forcefields protecting any "bare midriff" and absorbing kinetic energy would not warriors want something as skintight and mobile as possible? Its like... Level 10 blue is Iron Man 1 level of armor. Level 80 Exotic and higher is Infinity War Iron Man.

iN9Mssw.png

This shit here is unforgivable.

• Like 1

'Some women are empowered by modest clothing, others are empowered by wearing more revealing clothing, both are valid and neither has any right to criticize the other. '

! (The same applies for anyone wearing any kind of clothing, but this discussion was brought forward with female's armor specifically.)

@MrPhantasia.5924 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:There is plenty of armor in the game that look
exactly
like in your pic.

Why do you call it juvenile though? If your high end armorers had the capability of basicly making wearable Chobham armor 0.2 inches thick along with literal magical forcefields protecting any "bare midriff" and absorbing kinetic energy would not warriors
want
something as skintight and mobile as possible? Its like... Level 10 blue is Iron Man 1 level of armor. Level 80 Exotic and higher is Infinity War Iron Man.

iN9Mssw.png

This kitten here is unforgivable.

I agree. The male version is completely unforgivable because it looks nothing like what historical phalanxes would wear. The female version somewhat resembles phalanxes, but it could use quite a few improvements.

Most ppl miss the point... You only need to 'worry' about your midriff in pvp, when fighting ppl using blades and what-not. BUT.

In open world, you are fighting elder dragons, wyverns, orcs, dinosaurs, war robots, lasers, poison spit etcetc, so you don't need to protect the midriff and boobs etc.

Furthermore, your armor pieces' defense values combine into a meta value that protects your whole body magically. Heck, even cotton and silk can provide defense against both blades and the slam of an elder dragon. It's magic, obviously.

So, logically speaking, you are free to wear whatever you like, and there's really no need to fret, not even for pvp. Just wear whatever takes your fancy, and let other ppl wear whatever we like.

You've got scale, chain armor etcetc if you're still worried tho

@"binidj.5734" said:I was having a chat with a guildmate the other night about the lamentable state of women's armour in the game, some items are practical but most buy into the more juvenile boob plate or bare midriff tropes. Might it not be possible to allow characters to wear armour of either style, regardless of gender? Failing that, perhaps your art department could take a look through this link for future inspiration: https://imgur.com/t/female/xDIuM

I have been begging for this for years. I also despise the high heels - ridiculous looking on combat-ready characters (unless you are a stylish, noble Mesmer lady).

@MrPhantasia.5924 said:

exactly
like in your pic.

Why do you call it juvenile though? If your high end armorers had the capability of basicly making wearable Chobham armor 0.2 inches thick along with literal magical forcefields protecting any "bare midriff" and absorbing kinetic energy would not warriors
want
something as skintight and mobile as possible? Its like... Level 10 blue is Iron Man 1 level of armor. Level 80 Exotic and higher is Infinity War Iron Man.

iN9Mssw.png

That makes no sense ... it's not the only heavy armor skin for female characters. If you don't want to look like that you have dozens of options to choose from. Frankly, the complaint is ridiculous because their are more than enough choices if your preference is to not show skin or be 'form fitted'.

I might be singular on this but my main complain about the armor sets is that far too many are too adorned and extravagant. They have little bits and bobs stick out from them. I struggle to get a 'simple' look if that's the route I want.

Again .. you have choices if you want either approach, so the complain is not really sensible. It's not like there is only a dozen armor sets in this game. To think THIS game is somehow exceptional as far as these armor designs go ... I don't think that's accurate. Yes, there are skins that show skin ... if you don't like them don't use them. This isn't a question of if there are armor skins that offend you. It's a question of choice ... and you have it. I honestly don't understand what the OP is complaining about .. he posted some example of 'good' armor looks ... many of those looks can be built from many of the choices easily available to all players; the core armor sets in the game are actually VERY tame.

@Dragon Priestess.9760 said:

exactly
like in your pic.

want

iN9Mssw.png

That makes no sense ... it's not the only heavy armor skin for female characters. If you don't want to look like that you have dozens of options to choose from. Frankly, the complaint is ridiculous because their are more than enough choices if your preference is to not show skin or be 'form fitted'.

I might be singular on this but my main complain about the armor sets is that far too many are too adorned and extravagant. They have little bits and bobs stick out from them. I struggle to get a 'simple' look if that's the route I want.

It's not this one set. Its just the one that pisses me off the most. At least 75% of heavy armors hhave this kind of disparity.

Besides this this type of juvenile fan service makes your game a laughing stock outside of the 13 year old furiously abusing themselves on the family computer while their parents are out demographic.

Went too far with that one. Insulting people for liking certain things is NOT okay. If you cannot add to the discussion in a mature, responsible way - do not post.

Pointing out how other people look and talk about the game outside of its established userbase is not insulting anyone unless you're going out of your way to feel insulted.

@"AzzyBelle.3791" said:'Some women are empowered by modest clothing, others are empowered by wearing more revealing clothing, both are valid and neither has any right to criticize the other. '

! (The same applies for anyone wearing any kind of clothing, but this discussion was brought forward with female's armor specifically.)

That is where we disagree. See, both have every right to criticize the other. Fashion choices and design aesthetics are not sacrosanct, nor are they mysterious beyond comprehension. You can apply logic and, dare I say, science to it. If a person disagrees with your choices, they'll have reasons why. If you don't hash out those reason and retreat into your own shell, then the whole thing breaks down into a thankless sectarian conflict where both sides vie for influence instead of being reasonable. If the design aesthetics of this game are bringing harm to people, then it is a greater disrespect to not say something than it is to speak up. Then, you disagree with their conclusion and their reasoning, and not on their willingness to speak or think on the matter. The tl;dr of all this is: Never trust anyone who tells you not to think.

However I digress. Whenever one of these threads comes up, it is all a proxy conversation for the real reason behind this thread. Somebody has decided that they don't want sexy armors in this game, but they don't directly say it. Instead, we see passive-aggressive complaints about how it is hard to dress their characters, or how it isn't fair that the armor isn't identical between the sexes, or how it breaks RP, or something else along those line. This shifts the debate from the logical domain to the emotional one, where the eggshell plaintiffs hold the power. Instead of presenting their case, they just presume it true and shift the subject into how badly they're hurt by the unstated premises, hoping nobody notices.

This whole song and dance played out the last thread that this debate showed up in.

@Obtena.7952 said:Again .. you have choices if you want either approach, so the complain is not really sensible. It's not like there is only a dozen armor sets in this game. To think THIS game is somehow exceptional as far as these armor designs go ... I don't think that's accurate. Yes, there are skins that show skin ... if you don't like them don't use them. This isn't a question of if there are armor skins that offend you. It's a question of choice ... and you have it. I honestly don't understand what the OP is complaining about .. he posted some example of 'good' armor looks ... many of those looks can be built from many of the choices easily available to all players; the core armor sets in the game are actually VERY tame.

There are literally 3 heavy armor chest pieces that both are not revealing or have hideous looking boobplates to make sure you know oh boy there are definitely boobs here.

Hunnan T3 cultural, counsel guard, and legendary. Thats it. Three choices out of close to 70 skins. So much choice. And none of it keeps up the pretense of stuff like the Elonian elementalist outfit of at least being similarly revealing for bith genders.

I will give the OP credit: they asked for a more equal implementation so that either gender can wear either armor look.

It's a wide step from asking for female armor sets to have more coverage and more cleavage and more practicality and more decorative all at the same time...I mean, at what point do these people feel we've reached equality?

@Leo G.4501 said:I will give the OP credit: they asked for a more equal implementation so that either gender can wear either armor look.

It's a wide step from asking for female armor sets to have more coverage and more cleavage and more practicality and more decorative all at the same time...I mean, at what point do these people feel we've reached equality?

What do you mean by these people

@MrPhantasia.5924 said:

@Leo G.4501 said:I will give the OP credit: they asked for a more equal implementation so that either gender can wear either armor look.

What do you mean by
these people

Those who advocate for more equality.

@Blocki.4931 said:Boob plate has been debunked countless times and generally can be summed up by: If more women wore that type of armor boob plates would have actually existed in real life.

Pretty much. Hardened steel is very difficult to penetrate, no matter what shape it's in. It essentially took giant can openers (halberds) to penetrate hardened steel.

Plus, if you look at most medieval armor, it's wide at the waist. All you have to do is move the bulge up a little bit, and bam! Boobplate. Not unrealistic.

@MrPhantasia.5924 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Again .. you have choices if you want either approach, so the complain is not really sensible. It's not like there is only a dozen armor sets in this game. To think THIS game is somehow exceptional as far as these armor designs go ... I don't think that's accurate. Yes, there are skins that show skin ... if you don't like them don't use them. This isn't a question of if there are armor skins that offend you. It's a question of choice ... and you have it. I honestly don't understand what the OP is complaining about .. he posted some example of 'good' armor looks ... many of those looks can be built from many of the choices easily available to all players; the core armor sets in the game are actually VERY tame.

There are literally 3 heavy armor chest pieces that both are not revealing or have hideous looking boobplates to make sure you know oh boy there are definitely boobs here.

Hunnan T3 cultural, counsel guard, and legendary. Thats it. Three choices out of close to 70 skins. So much choice. And none of it keeps up the pretense of stuff like the Elonian elementalist outfit of at least being similarly revealing for bith genders.

No, there are way more than that. You're being sensational.

@Obtena.7952 said:

No, there are way more than that. You're being sensational.

You are correct. There are many many more sets that aren't "boobplates". Getting tired of that term actually. You know, if you really don't want anything resembling a boobplate play asurans, charr, or male characters. That solves the issue. However, that won't satisfy the OP it seems, or some of the posters here.

Now, when I choose the skin I want I look for aesthetically pleasing, whether it be revealing or not. I loath the boxy looking armor skins. I want mine to be cool looking not utilitarian. This is a fantasy game not real life.

@MrPhantasia.5924 said:

exactly
like in your pic.

want

iN9Mssw.png

It's unforgivable alright. Where's my bare thigh male phalanxes with mohawk styled helmets?giqxfrh.png

Oh right, it's the female that has that exact armour description...

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

@"AzzyBelle.3791" said:'Some women are empowered by modest clothing, others are empowered by wearing more revealing clothing,
both are valid
and
neither
has
any
right to criticize the other. '

That is where we disagree. See,
both
have
every
right to criticize the other. Fashion choices and design aesthetics are not sacrosanct, nor are they mysterious beyond comprehension. You can apply logic and, dare I say, science to it. If a person disagrees with your choices, they'll have reasons why. If you don't hash out those reason and retreat into your own shell, then the whole thing breaks down into a thankless sectarian conflict where both sides vie for influence instead of being reasonable. If the design aesthetics of this game are bringing harm to people, then it is a greater disrespect to
not
say something than it is to speak up. Then, you disagree with their conclusion and their reasoning, and not on their willingness to speak or think on the matter. The tl;dr of all this is: Never trust anyone who tells you not to think.

However I digress. Whenever one of these threads comes up, it is all a proxy conversation for the real reason behind this thread. Somebody has decided that they don't want sexy armors in this game, but they don't directly say it. Instead, we see passive-aggressive complaints about how it is hard to dress their characters, or how it isn't fair that the armor isn't identical between the sexes, or how it breaks RP, or something else along those line. This shifts the debate from the logical domain to the emotional one, where the eggshell plaintiffs hold the power. Instead of presenting their case, they just presume it true and shift the subject into how badly they're hurt by the unstated premises, hoping nobody notices.

This whole song and dance played out
that this debate showed up in.

Not at all! I’m all for people having a variety of sexy or revealing outfits for their characters! For me at least, the problem can be summed up: Why are male and female armors completely different, as in the egregious example shown? How are those even considered the same armors??? Both options should be available to either gender. There are many times I will like how an armor looks only to be disappointed by the version available to my character. Sometimes I do think a particular female armor looks ridiculous (human female assassin armor) and would like the in this case more practical male version. I’m all for other players’ characters showing as much boob as they want but it wasn’t what I wanted for my assassin. Likewise, I am annoyed that there aren’t more sexy options for male characters. There are a few revealing options but more than that I would like to see some fitted options that don’t make them look like flat shapeless boxes. Right now for guys it’s either butt cape or totally flat rear. :anguished:

I support more options for all! :+1:

@Dragon Priestess.9760 said:We JUST got a practical armour set with the newest release. In fact, we have had several recent additions to the wardrobe that are already quite conservative.

In my personal opinion, I'd rather see some new, more revealing armour styles now.

A great thing about GW is that we are offered a lot of variety in styles. No one's forcing you to wear skimpy armour, because there are already many practical and functional alternatives to choose from.

Ps: It's really offensive to call the more revealing armour 'juvenile' as you have just implied that you think that people who enjoy that style are immature. We are allowed to enjoy different things. You may not like what I like, but I am not 'juvenile' for liking what I do.

It's fine, OP just prefers the more repressed, stuffy, uptight armors.

@Klowdy.3126 said:

@Dragon Priestess.9760 said:We JUST got a practical armour set with the newest release. In fact, we have had several recent additions to the wardrobe that are already quite conservative.

In my personal opinion, I'd rather see some new, more revealing armour styles now.

A great thing about GW is that we are offered a lot of variety in styles. No one's forcing you to wear skimpy armour, because there are already many practical and functional alternatives to choose from.

Ps: It's really offensive to call the more revealing armour 'juvenile' as you have just implied that you think that people who enjoy that style are immature. We are allowed to enjoy different things. You may not like what I like, but I am not 'juvenile' for liking what I do.

It's fine, OP just prefers the more repressed, stuffy, uptight armors.

It's not her interests that bug me. People are allowed to like practical armour too, and it's good that this game has that choice.It's the thinly veiled insult and idea that people aren't allowed to like revealing aesthetics that bothers me.

Also, some people also forget that there are women who enjoy baring skin in game, too! ( Like me!)

If we are talking ridiculousness, can I just point out in DnD there is a spell that practically gives you armor if you are not wearing something of heavy plate?

So you literally could walk around in anything? Or the fact a lot of barbarian tribes didn't wear armor so they went into war bare-chested with loinclothes? I think it is junvenile to assume the so-called 'impracticality' is junvenile.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:The only armour category that mostly has revealing outfits is light armour, both medium and heavy armour are literally the same as the images on that gallery you posted outside of a few thematic appearances.

Right, that is why light armor has a SINGLE mini skirt that is starting gear, lol. Check medium armor in that matter.

it's already hard to find sexy heavy armor, it's even harder to have it in GW2 and you want more bulky armor?as if we don't have enough of that, i see ppl talking about light armor being skimpy but it's really hard to make something appealing enough.

if anything, we seriously need more skimpy, if not, sexy armor.