I'm worried about this game, When WOW classic Comes out.

@Kattenpootjes.4291 said:Funny how people are bashing wow while hundreds of big name streamers with hundreds of thousands of viewers are having the time of their lifes while playing different kinds of events, perma death modes, Amish challenges and mount rush modes, while the gw2 streamers are dropping like flies while struggling to reach the 200 viewers. Guys stop pretending wow isn't better than gw2 in every single way. Its fine to dislike the game but there's no need to puff yourself up when announcing your opinion :')

Pots, kettles and the colour black much.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@"Vlad Morbius.1759" said:WoW classic is a fad that will likely only last for those who are stuck in the past. It is a completely different style of gaming which was one of the main reason GW2 was successful and why many people sought out GW2 in the first place so why would we leave to go to something we had little interest in to begin with? Some will try it out and remember just how much of a horrible grinding experience it was and come tearing back here.

When was GW2 successful? Especially compared to something colossal like WoW.GW2 launched as the "next gen mmo experience" and it just fell flat on its kitten since it doesn't have any sort of vertical progression which is one the core concepts of almost any rpg. GW2 is a very weird beast that appeals to a very specific niche market.Anyways, GW2 and Classic WoW dont compete over the same players for the most part.

So your saying GW2 isn't successful... based on what criteria are you determing that fact..... unless of course you know all the inner workings of ANET and NC Soft or are you just making stuff up for effect.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:I never played WoW, always thought it looked fun but I never played it for one simple reason.Mandatory sub fee.

Ah yes the sub fee, i alway hate it for few reason:
  • I feel the need to play it everyday so i don't waste muh 15$
  • Now i know what i'm about to say probably just paranoid but i think some mmo slow down your progress on purpose to make you keep subbing
  • It's just like taxes/bills
  • I don't like paying for a game every month

I mean but if you never played WoW because of the 15$ per month sub fee, then you likely never played a quality MMO back then.

Guild Wars 1 wasnt a MMO but more of a 3D Diablo made by Diablo 2 people....

Sub fee does not mean quality... If it did then why has wow got some of the worst graphics in any game I've ever played... then again after 30 minutes I just got tired of playing Tom and Jerry pictures and never got tempted back... though I did have a moment of temptation when they launched panda play.. but then I heard pikachoo didn't make the final QA pass so that killed that moment of madness

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:I never played WoW, always thought it looked fun but I never played it for one simple reason.Mandatory sub fee.

• Now i know what i'm about to say probably just paranoid but i think some mmo slow down your progress on purpose to make you keep subbing

I mean but if you never played WoW because of the 15$ per month sub fee, then you likely never played a quality MMO back then.

Sub fee does not mean quality... If it did then why has wow got some of the worst graphics in any game I've ever played... then again after 30 minutes I just got tired of playing Tom and Jerry pictures and never got tempted back... though I did have a moment of temptation when they launched panda play.. but then I heard pikachoo didn't make the final QA pass so that killed that moment of madness

art graphics doesnt equate to poor quality. If that was the case Xmen the Animated Series wouldn't be considered as prestige as it is.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:I never played WoW, always thought it looked fun but I never played it for one simple reason.Mandatory sub fee.

art graphics doesnt equate to poor quality. If that was the case Xmen the Animated Series wouldn't be considered as prestige as it is.

Neither does a sub fee equate to quality cos if it did then are we to think every sub based game is "quality".... nah just another baseless claim.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Vlad Morbius.1759" said:WoW classic is a fad that will likely only last for those who are stuck in the past. It is a completely different style of gaming which was one of the main reason GW2 was successful and why many people sought out GW2 in the first place so why would we leave to go to something we had little interest in to begin with? Some will try it out and remember just how much of a horrible grinding experience it was and come tearing back here.

When was GW2 successful? Especially compared to something colossal like WoW.GW2 launched as the "next gen mmo experience" and it just fell flat on its kitten since it doesn't have any sort of vertical progression which is one the core concepts of almost any rpg. GW2 is a very weird beast that appeals to a very specific niche market.Anyways, GW2 and Classic WoW dont compete over the same players for the most part.

Holy smokes? When was Guild Wars 2 successful? All along. Since day 1. Since it sold 4 million pre launch copies, it's considered successful. You don't compare every new drink that comes out to coke. You don't see a new drink that doesn't make the money coke does isn't successful. That's not how it works.

WoW launched at a time when there were very very little competition. The market was tiny. They were competing with very niche games and due to the success of other games, largely the Warcraft and Starcraft franchises, they had a ton of money to advertise. Guild Wars 1 would have been competition back then, but didn't have the war chest to advertise and wasn't at true MMO because it' didn't have an open world.

At any rate, now the market is more fragmented. Even WOW has lost a huge section of it's player base, but no one is taking down WoW is the #1 MMO, in my mind ever. If it happens, it will be monumental. Then you have a game like Final Fantasy which is available on both console and computer, and it's the XIVth game in the series. It's also very popular in Asia where a lot of it's playerbase comes from.

Guild Wars 2 has been for years in the top five, or six MMORPGs and certainly one of the top MMORPGs in the west. Games like Lineage, which does great in Korea in fact, had to close in the West where it failed. Guild Wars 2 was 6 years old when it had it's first layoffs. TSW and SWTOR had lay offs much sooner. ESO started as a sub game and had to go free to play. FF XIV had to apologize at the start of the game and completely reboot the game, because it was such a disaster. At one point they stopped charging subs, because it was not playable. Due to the fact that they are a popular frachise they got a second chance.

Anyone who says this game isn't successful because WoW is successful is deluding themselves. Something can be both niche and successful. 7 UP has been around for years and it's a successful drink, but it doesn't sell nearly as much as coke. It still has it's niche and it's still considered successful.

Successful in business only means one thing..meets or exceeds expectations. Guild Wars 2 is largely met or exceeded the expectations of it's investors. How is it not successful?

Because they fired a bunch of people..? That usually means they did NOT meet the expectations. Actually that usually means it is going rather bad.

No, that doesn't mean it's not successful.

Blizzard laid off a bunch of people too recently so WoW must not be successful. Anet is not Blizzard obviously. But considering that Anet also doesn't = just Guild Wars 2 is a big part of that story. They had OTHER PROJECTS that didn't come to fruition and those investments hit the bottom line of the company. Guild Wars 2 is stronger now than it was in the same time period after HoT. People who think laying off people means the game isn't doing well need to do some research.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:I never played WoW, always thought it looked fun but I never played it for one simple reason.Mandatory sub fee.

Neither does a sub fee equate to quality cos if it did then are we to think every sub based game is "quality".... nah just another baseless claim.

So if you never played a MMO with a sub prior to GW2, what are the quality MMOs you played?

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

So if you never played a MMO with a sub prior to GW2, what are the quality MMOs you played?

Can name a few for myself. WoT, WoWSP, Mabinogi, GW1 all quality MMOs that ive played IMO, you may think differently about them, but thats the nice thing about opinions isnt it?

I will say though if i cant stand to look at a game, i wont play it very much, WOWs graphics are dated, and despite trying it, the graphics where a large part(aside from the sub fee) that i stopped.

WoW classic will flop, i played vanilla WoW and have nothing but love and nostalgia for it, but games have evolved,vanilla WoW was all about the hardcore longterm grind, you'd spend months grinding for rewards, and it was awesome for the time.this is the age if instant gratification, noone wants to grind anymore.

plus wow is dated as hell, i renewed my account awhile back to revisit, holy hell it feels so slow,something as simple as being motionless while casting makes a massive difference,when your character swings a sword and only hits one enemy instead of all of them in an arc...

GW2 is a far more modern experience, i just wish that we had the number of armours that WoW releases with each expansion

WoW Classic is the newest of these many games redone to bank in on nostalgia. Normal WoW never killed Guild Wars 2, neither did anyone of those many games (FF XIV, Bless, Blade and Soul, etc.) which people said everyone would quit over and I certainly don't see why WoW Classic (already being a niche game and mostly aimed at those previous and even current WoW players) would accomplish said task.

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@Airdive.2613 said:I still remember how Bless Online killed GW 2.

WoW is a big difference than Bless was. There are a lot of wow players playing gw2, wow is a behemoth and yes people are going to play classic its included in the game one sub gets you regular game and classic. They have really upgraded the engine and performance of that game also. GW2 is a good game, you can play both if you have the time im going to try myself. I like wow i played it a very long time, longer than gw2 has been out, but i needed a break. I also intend to stay playing gw2 no matter what for the foreseeable future, there is no rule that says i cant play both, only my own time limits

@"mikhail.3506" said:I honestly Hooope nothing will happen to this game, it's a good game. But if we don't get a HUGE update like a new expansion/content come August there won't be anyone left playing this game. No players= no money = no content. It's gonna be a vicious cycle.

So What new content are we getting in August, and will it be enough to stop people from going to WOW CLassic?

ironforgewowclassic.jpg

Not so sure of any impact, been playing wow vanilla servers for years, and the game is aged, it's mainly to reminse, however the wow player base is so aggressive and trained to rush to end game, where 40 man raids await that requires dedicating huge swathes of time that's it is going to get old Fast.

You know people say it will get old fast, but really its no dif than any other mmo including this one. You run over the same ground no matter what game you play. WoW has a lot more zone content than just raids. What do you do in this game, huge swaths of time doing metas, zone completion, dailies, its only the type of content thats a bit different. I mean after all they are just games play them or dont. Neither is bad or good its just what kind of game you like and have fun in.

In the same boat, WoW refugee and no intentions of leaving GW2.

WoW, among it's age.. has a number of issues. Playing through all expansions including the latest, it's only going to destroy itself. Guild wars 2 is far more fluid, the class diversity is great, its modern and feels far more immersive. Am I worried? Not really no. Classic will eventually lose it's interest very quick. As for WoW itself, it's not killed off GW2 in 7 years, it wont do so now.

@Dante.1763 said:

Can name a few for myself. WoT, WoWSP, Mabinogi, GW1 all quality MMOs that ive played IMO, you may think differently about them, but thats the nice thing about opinions isnt it?

I will say though if i cant stand to look at a game, i wont play it very much, WOWs graphics are dated, and despite trying it, the graphics where a large part(aside from the sub fee) that i stopped.

I really wish people would stop saying GW 1 was an MMO. It wasn't. It was a coop game.

@Vayne.8563 said:

I really wish people would stop saying GW 1 was an MMO. It wasn't. It was a coop game.

It is an MMO? It also won awards such as Best Value, Best Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game, and Best Game.

@Zeike.7469 said:

It is an MMO? It also won awards such as Best Value, Best Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game, and Best Game.

It's more a MORPG than a MMO technically..

I often just call it or attribute it with the MMO label though just because it's in the same market space and shares many tropes.I believe that's the same or similar reasoning to why others also call it a MMO even though we know it's technically not one.

@Teratus.2859 said:

I often just call it or attribute it with the MMO label though just because it's in the same market space and shares many tropes.I believe that's the same or similar reasoning to why others also call it a MMO even though we know it's technically not one.

Curiously though, I might sound stupid here, but what didn't they have that pushed them from the MMORPG title? genuinely have always just called it an MMO, never thought twice on the matter. Is it because of the single player instances outside main cities?

@Zeike.7469 said:

Curiously though, I might sound stupid here, but what didn't they have that pushed them from the MMORPG title? genuinely have always just called it an MMO, never thought twice on the matter. Is it because of the single player instances outside main cities?

Devs described it as CORPG (cooperative roleplaying game) and so it should be called this way, if only out of respect for this great game. There were few similar games with towns being major hubs where you could meet other players and take them into wilderness with you, but those were mostly called Action RPGs, just like Diablo 3. The reason why it was called CORPG was because 90% of the game was instanced content that you could explore only with a small group of players and also maybe because some game designer wanted to make his name famous for creating new genre. :)

I did played vanilla WoW, also played on private servers. My take on the subject? Some players will go play WoW Classic and after few months will be back in Guild Wars 2. Not because WoW Classic is inferior in any way, but the content after one year will get more stale than Guild Wars 2, because people now are much better at playing MMORPGs than they were back then when most of them were just starting to explore MMORPG genre. Main problem with World of Warcraft Classic is that the game is designed with vertical progression in mind and the very moment players will hit that ceiling, the game stops being fun for most of them, as there is no other content outside of PvP that they can do. Even skin farming doesn’t matter, as there is no transmogrification. This was an issue on private servers and the solution they came up with was restarting progress every two years. I personally hated it, as I’m the kind of person that gets attached to his characters. The thing that Blizzard could do to counter this issue would be releasing new raids once Naxxramas is cleared, so that progression keeps going without releasing expansions where low level quest reward kill your hard-earned raid gear. The problem is that there is a big #noChanges crowd that won’t allow this to happen and therefore people will quickly get bored and will come back to Guild Wars 2.

I for one think that not releasing expansion at this time is a good idea and I have marketing background. Three big players are fighting for a piece of pie and adding yet another one won’t make the pie any bigger. Let people experience Classic, ESO and FF as they would do it anyway and those that are loyal to GW2 will stay here for Season 5. When new expansion gets released, and Season 5 will most likely give us background for it as Season 2 did for HoT, we will see huge influx of both new and veteran players coming here. It will hurt these games more so, because ANet hopefully will release their next expansion when the aforementioned games will be halfway through their expansions’ lifecycle.

@Zeike.7469 said:

Pretty much what Omernon said above.Wasn't quite the same as a MMO but was also too similar to one to be something entirely different.CORPG does fit it more accurately than MMORPG.

@Erasculio.2914 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Guild Wars 1 wasnt a MMO but more of a 3D Diablo made by Diablo 2 people....

Not really. Guild Wars had less in common with Diablo than with WoW (and it had little in common with WoW).

Diablo is a loot-based game. The point is for a character to kill a lot of monsters to get more loot to get more powerful and then kill a stronger lot of monsters to get even better loot and thus even more powerful.

Guild Wars had nothing in common with that.

The only similarity was the use of a lobby system (and vaguely the use of a fantasy setting).

I disagree.While the loot was a key factor in Diablo 2, it's true nature was a dungeon crawler with adaptability challenges.Quite similar to gw1, actually

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Depends on what constitutes as quality game play. Me i prefer good content over visuals. If there isnt anything interesting content wise to keep me playing, barbie dress up wont cut it. Yes gw2 has more pretty graphics in the sense of the style, wow is made to be more cartoon thats its style, its actually very pretty when played on high and ultra. You are talking style of graphics vs gameplay two dif things. I cant fault wow for gameplay, it has a few areas where i was not into the game, but overall it has so much to do that you could start playing it as a level one and never run out of content even at cap. BfA was hard for me to stick with though too much reputation grind upgrade gear grind i didnt have the time, but the zones were fantastic to play through. And the stories of the quest lines were amazing if you are a lore hound. GW2 is dif its a pretty game and it has good zones to play in but for depth nothing beats wow. If i could still play like that i would but i cant justify paying for a game i dont have that kind of time to immerse into. With gw2 i never get left behind and have to worry about starting the gear grind again. I mean they have grinds here dont think they dont, but its different

@Tiviana.2650 said:

Depends on what constitutes as quality game play. Me i prefer good content over visuals. If there isnt anything interesting content wise to keep me playing, barbie dress up wont cut it. Yes gw2 has more pretty graphics in the sense of the style, wow is made to be more cartoon thats its style, its actually very pretty when played on high and ultra. You are talking style of graphics vs gameplay two dif things. I cant fault wow for gameplay, it has a few areas where i was not into the game, but overall it has so much to do that you could start playing it as a level one and never run out of content even at cap. BfA was hard for me to stick with though too much reputation grind upgrade gear grind i didnt have the time, but the zones were fantastic to play through. And the stories of the quest lines were amazing if you are a lore hound. GW2 is dif its a pretty game and it has good zones to play in but for depth nothing beats wow. If i could still play like that i would but i cant justify paying for a game i dont have that kind of time to immerse into. With gw2 i never get left behind and have to worry about starting the gear grind again. I mean they have grinds here dont think they dont, but its different

That's is the point I originally made ... what constitutes the statement the gw2 has never been successful cos someone thinks wow is superior in quality cos it's a sub based game... quality can be measured with a wide range of criteria ... graphics, gameplay, story,VA to name but a few. Just cos wow has millions more accounts doesn't mean it's quality, wow was pushed out into the gaming space when there were very few options available... I wonder if that same level would be reached these day, even with there much larger budgets, headcounts and marketing... I doubt it personally... but it comes back to the same thing, players perceptions of what constitute good, bad, great or dead turkey are at best very subjective based on so many aspects.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

That's is the point I originally made ... what constitutes the statement the gw2 has never been successful cos someone thinks wow is superior in quality cos it's a sub based game... quality can be measured with a wide range of criteria ... graphics, gameplay, story,VA to name but a few. Just cos wow has millions more accounts doesn't mean it's quality, wow was pushed out into the gaming space when there were very few options available... I wonder if that same level would be reached these day, even with there much larger budgets, headcounts and marketing... I doubt it personally... but it comes back to the same thing, players perceptions of what constitute good, bad, great or dead turkey are at best very subjective based on so many aspects.

You still deflecting from what I said and what I was responding to