[Merged] Feedback about today's Icebrood Saga announcement

@Arzurag.7506 said:I simply wanted to know, what they have planned to keep me busy over the next years, elite specs, new maps, mastery, wvw-content.I couldn't care less about the story or its characters, any book does a better job at telling a compelling story, it's not gw2 main strength.

I personally love the story, it is what drew me in.The story and everything else keeps me around.You don't have a reason to have anything else around without the story, otherwise you would just have an empty game with things.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@attachi.1792 said:Did you noticed A-net increased their gem-store production last mounths? Brand new stuff every week + sales for some of the old goods. Gold price for 400 gems rised to the 170+ gold and won't drop. Looks like another way to get more money plus sink ingame gold from the player's pockets.Reminds me SWTOR and their Cartel market focus with short chapter content scheme.

You do realize that happens every year in august right?

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:It's not players fault at all.They announced it month prior. Even adding ominous sounds and stuff to the game to hype it, had 2 day long count down.... for what? Merch ads ?They led people on... it's not players fault at all. Altho I learnt my lesson and wasn't excited for it at all, I wish others were smarter.

Lmao they announced the stream as a living world stream from day one, they did the most with the countdown but still the players are also responsible for this. I kept seeing posts like "omg elite specs", "maybe new expac soon" and I thought why on earth would you think that?

You mean they made a regular blog post that they do for every LS patch seem to be bigger than it actually was? There i fixed your whole response for you. Please tell me, when was the last time anet annouced anything at a public gaming convention, the last thing i can think of was HOT. With that being said, i didn't expect an expansion reveal, but i did expect something , anything bigger and justified for all the trouble they went through trying to convince us to be excited to be announced. Not even an answer to if we will ever get another expansion or more elite specs , arguably what most of the community wants to know the most. They don't need to reveal or announce a date for any of it, just an answer if it's still a thing going forward of it this is going to be the game for the rest of it's days or not. For you not to see why the community is let down a bit is either you fanboying or just not really understanding what people like and want out of this game.

A lot of these people may not be whiteknighting or fan boys, but truly be so new and fresh to the game or so incredibly casual that logging in every three, four, five months is absolutely fine by them. It seems to be what Arenanet prefers, or is just ambivalent about. It's not really going to help with steady gemstore sales, especially when the sales are only on there for a certain length of time and have been repeatedly pushed into random loot boxes, but it's how they want their content to be enjoyed I guess.

So for the people that look for something new and exciting to stay enriched in the game, just stop playing and find new hobbies. Wait until they're ready to release whatever they have to release, and then, preferably, play it at a snail's pace, then leave again.

I play at least 10 hours everyday. I'm not jumping for joy and pre-ordering funko trash, I'm only saying it as it is. There was no bait and switch involved, you got what you were told you were going to get.

@yann.1946 said:

@attachi.1792 said:Did you noticed A-net increased their gem-store production last mounths? Brand new stuff every week + sales for some of the old goods. Gold price for 400 gems rised to the 170+ gold and won't drop. Looks like another way to get more money plus sink ingame gold from the player's pockets.Reminds me SWTOR and their Cartel market focus with short chapter content scheme.

No I don't. Really don't.

@LaFurion.3167 said:

@coso.9173 said:story moves through living world season episodes. saying that no one cares about that is like saying that no one cares about the game story progression, i disagree a lot. I play gw2 for the new maps, the fun battlesystem, and its story. i don't care for pvp or raids. to me a new episode is much more content, than, let's say pvp fixes or WvW fixes, or even a raid wing. so just want to remind you that not eveyrone has the same priorities as you.

So are you happy with the rate at which content for you is released? 3 months+ per living world ep which only amounts to around 5 hours play time??

To me is many hours more since there's achievements and I play pretty casually. Maybe we have different standards. I come from secret world legends where the last story content was added like 1 year ago and before that like 3 of 4 years ago. No regular new story content means a game in decline and death. This is why story content is so important to me. I play maps a lot and there still a lot of things to do, I barely got me dragon a few weeks ago, still doing more mastery points, I have yet to complete hot skills even. So for me each new lws episode isn't 5 hours of game play, it's like 40.I do want other things implemented too, new systems, new armor, graphical updates, I only don't care for pvp, wvw or raids. Or any kind of competitive endgame. But that's me.I'm just worried that people complaining about lws episodes will ultimately mean they'll stop with the story and that to me is where I draw the line and leave the game. It becomes a stagnant game. No matter how many bug fixes or class balance you add.

Anet really messed this up. What was the point of hyping this for a whole month, when YOU KNEW you had very little to show ? Why rent a theater when you could have posted it on your website, or streamed from your office at Anet ? I lost confidence in the future of GW2, and it breaks my heart to say it because I spent a lot of time and money in this game.

The only thing that really interests me is the build templates was mentioned as still coming.Anyone who's played this game any decent amount of time could have predicted this. Majority of focus on the same repeating story as it follows the exact same blueprint as the previous ones. Off to another region with a dragon, kill it's minions, get more needless banter from supporting characters, take care of dragon and grind some new masteries while doing this. Rinse and repeat. Only now with more focus on some side character. I assume this is because the player-character has become so unrelatable as a seemingly omnipotent god/dragon killer who never has any real consequences for reckless actions and decision making and therefore has no development or progression.Meanwhile, other games modes barely mentioned.Just pretty much the same thing it almost always is, so it's pretty underwhelming.

To be honest I liked the announcement, they spoke about what most of us expected from the timer screen also.I like the idea that they are treating the new season more like an expansion with more content and features that will come in the feature.\Strike missions and the mob that ambushes you seemed very interesting.

I dont get what all this negativity is all about, its a game if you dont like it then dont play ...

Overall they introduced their upcoming story which is different from the previous ones in ways of content etc. that what most of us expectedAll this negativity is why the devs are afraid to speak about future plans and content because many act like spoiled children that everyday need new clothes and 100 flavors of ice scream.

And if you dont like what Anet is selling to you why stay and spoil the enjoyment of others , you may try other mmos, there are many outhere that have less content and ask for a sub fee go test them. Cause in our case we actually pay once for the game.

@attachi.1792 said:

Ah, then your statement makes sense I guess. Every August they do anniversary sales for the whole month. That's why people sometimes save gems for August. And why the gold to gem ratio spikes.

@shadowpass.4236 said:If Anet announced stuff that people were actually interested in playing long term such as:

1. Cantha
  2. Deep Sea Dragon
  3. New elite specs
  4. New gamemodes - ques for 2v2 and 3v3 in PvP along with a Battle Royale mode (WvW roaming without the zergs)
  5. Player housing (I personally don't care about this, but I hear other people love it)
  6. AND a new living world season

The event and the hype Anet built would've grown even bigger and snowballed afterwards. However, if they under-deliver and laser-focus on casual content that PvPers/WvWers/Raiders/FotM players do not enjoy because they are uninterested/feel it is slow-paced and boring... then yes, people will have an issue with being ignored for the umpteenth time. The statistics are also probably skewed with Anet thinking that a large amount of people very much enjoy the Living World story when in reality, the numbers would be different if they didn't continue to lock skins and mounts behind the same content over and over and over and over again.

I think overall we will eventually get to Cantha and the Deep Sea Dragon. They can't do every thing at once. Jormag was overdue. Brahm cracked the tooth in an earlier episode and we heard nothing since the time he emoed off to kill Jormag. We heard nothing of what happened to those who followed him. So they need to wrap up everything in north Tyria first.

Player housing - please no. Had enough of that in LOTRO. Not really necessary in GW2.

Good morning, in light of what you have presented, I am very disappointed and afraid of the direction this title is taking.The only positive exception is that you understand that raids are not of interest.Nothing new.To reconsider the masterpiece of guild wars 1 I feel like crying.

What it boils down to, is that Arenanet needs to be up front and honest about what is really going on here. Tell us the truth, we can handle it. Remaining silent and/or vague does nothing for your fan base and really is a bad look. If this truly is the beginning of the end, let us know. Turn it into a celebration of a great game instead of a train wreck. My fear is that by removing the Living World schedule, there is no schedule. That's a slippery slope.

While I gave your OP a thumbs-up, I have to 100% disagree with the following statement:

@"Dutchdevil.6902" said:11) If so, do you justify not giving expacs cause of the many content drops? It nice to get for example cooking to 500 but what most people like in pve is the maps and meta and grind.

No, "we" do not. I prefer questing across Tyria to any meta, let alone boring grinds. The story should always be the focus in PvE. Make it exciting, make it diverse, make it replayable through the means we know you have (e.g., include existing maps and thoroughly design quests, allow players to choose a different path for each character and make choices matter etc).

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@"DzT.8127" said:If i was the owner of ANET i would have seriously fired most of the people. This announcement was a joke really. Hey we announcing a LW5 that we allready announced weeks ago.

More like since March. I really do not understand Anet. Do they really think people care that much about the story? If I rate content in GW2 in terms of quality:

Open world PvE + great combat systemPvPInstanced PvEStory

Story is the GW2 weakest content.

Open world is some what tied to story, but story does not carry it. And open world quality too a nose dive with PoF. LWS4 had some improvement, but it is far from what it used to be.

I think you underestimate how many people play this game solely for the story , i'm not one of these people, but a lot of people are heavily invested into guild wars lore/story. Arenanet has all kinds of data on how people play, if it wasn't that popular or desired they wouldn't be focusing on it as much and if pvp was most of the community's focus like any good business they would do what they would believe would net the most income for them. Why do you think the game is very casual friendly in a lot of it's design?

Oh I agree... LS is there go to moneypit for sure and to me that is fine, I enjoy it quite alot and consider the story writing to be top notch and made all the more richer by the quality music, VA and art.But GW2 needs more than LS. Gemstore and grindfest mechanics will only last for so long before even the most diehard of players grow tired of it all and imo I Think we may be reached, if not over reached that point already.Servers have lost their identity, competitive gameplay feels like it is on life spport and the whole ebb and flow of the game has been reduced to trickle of it's former greatness. Aside from a few hours of new predominantly single player content every 3 or 4 months the biggest features of release are new skins in the gemstore.The game needed this announcement to push new or at least reignite old passions for investing in GW2... for me it failed to either.Sure the new LS sounds intriguing and fun, I expect nothing less but the game as a whole needed this to offer more, much more imo but it didn't so it is no sprise to that many players are asking... what was the point of yesterday, what was there that they couldn't of done on a live stream back at HQ considering it was mostly old news with a small piece of new talking points that clearly aren't even close to being in a state of readiness to talk about in any detail. Heck if strike forces are the next big thing to co.e out of their flagship content then it absolutely should of been given much more air time than it got and it should of been at a point there was actually somethi g to show and talk about, but it wasn't imo.

Trust me i agree , i wast expecting an expansion announcement, but at least if one was coming at some point or if they were stopping them for whatever reason. I hate to be overly dramatic , but it seems to be gw2 is on it's last legs so to speak. Which is very sad , because it's possible for games to be very successful for much longer (WOW is a perfect example of this). I want to wait to pass full judgement until the ice brood saga at least gets a full episode, but i can't say i'm very excited for the future because they haven't given me a reason to be. The announcement unfortunately was exactly what i was thinking was going to happen, but was hoping they had something more surprising and substantial. For the people who are generally excited about this whole thing, i'm very happy for them , i wish i could be as happy as well, it just doesn't seem to me at least that the game is in a healthy place and the announcement just seemed like a desperate attempt to make us believe otherwise. I am curious though, if we get just a prologue on the 17th how much longer do we have to wait for the offical episode , because i heard them say in the coming "months" which depending on the size of the prologue could be one of the worse droughts gw2 has had in a long time.

@Heibi.4251 said:

@"shadowpass.4236" said:If Anet announced stuff that people were actually interested in playing long term such as:
  1. Cantha
  2. Deep Sea Dragon
  3. New elite specs
  4. New gamemodes - ques for 2v2 and 3v3 in PvP along with a Battle Royale mode (WvW roaming without the zergs)
  5. Player housing (I personally don't care about this, but I hear other people love it)
  6. AND a new living world season

The event and the hype Anet built would've grown even bigger and snowballed afterwards. However, if they under-deliver and laser-focus on casual content that PvPers/WvWers/Raiders/FotM players do not enjoy because they are uninterested/feel it is slow-paced and boring... then yes, people will have an issue with being ignored for the umpteenth time. The statistics are also probably skewed with Anet thinking that a large amount of people very much enjoy the Living World story when in reality, the numbers would be different if they didn't continue to lock skins and mounts behind the same content over and over and over and over again.

I think overall we will eventually get to Cantha and the Deep Sea Dragon. They can't do every thing at once. Jormag was overdue. Brahm cracked the tooth in an earlier episode and we heard nothing since the time he emoed off to kill Jormag. We heard nothing of what happened to those who followed him. So they need to wrap up everything in north Tyria first.

Player housing - please no. Had enough of that in LOTRO. Not really necessary in GW2.

What are you talking about everything at once, every other mmo is able to balance content patches with expansions, nobody ever asked them to do it all at once, we just want to know there is a more exciting and substantial future to the game besides piece meal updates mixed with mostly gem store garbage. This game and every other MMO like this suffers greatly from not having a reliable income without having to develop "micro transactions" they are easily the worst thing to happen to the games industry in my opinion. The 9 times out of 10 dictate the design of a game usually for the worse.

@"WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot.8947" said:What it boils down to, is that Arenanet needs to be up front and honest about what is really going on here. Tell us the truth, we can handle it. Remaining silent and/or vague does nothing for your fan base and really is a bad look. If this truly is the beginning of the end, let us know. Turn it into a celebration of a great game instead of a train wreck. My fear is that by removing the Living World schedule, there is no schedule. That's a slippery slope.

Being involved in MMO communities for like 15 years now, I 've learnt one thing. When devs have plenty of chances to clear the air about something but repeatedly choose to remain vague, that something is nothing good.

Let's say they decide to be fully transparent but after all the questions are answered it boils down to "we don't have the resources to offer you the same quality you are used to and it will only get worse". No service provider will ever say this to a customer. Full transparency and business don't go well together.

@SnowMochi.7602 said:

@LaFurion.3167 said:I'll keep it simple. Guild wars 2 needs content. The rate at which living world or sagas are released is way too slow. People need REPEATABLE content as an end game. Repeatable pve content (fractals/raids), repeatable pvp content (such as arenas, or far far more maps for conquest), and your unique amazing game mode wvw needs more content (duels, better or updated maps etc)

Basically what you guys rented out a theater for to tell around 30k viewers was that you were restructuring (cool. Not content), and that the saga would be taking place in the north vs jormag. Okay...

Living world releases had never had content for more than 6 hours of play. People wait months for a release then zoom through it in 4 hours.

So when you hyped it up as much as you did, people at the very least were expecting elite specializations, or s new race. But NOBODY cares about some spirits mastery that we will never appreciate. Its on the same level as bouncing mushroom or adrenal glands. Its.... nothing.

And the quality of life is long overdue so I won't whinge about that. Finally we are getting it, so that's that.

But there is no content. Your new 10 man expeditions or bounties or whatever better be repayable and rewarding. Otherwise they will end up like bounties/dungeons... just... there.

I sincerely hope to god that you guys have more than this. Because if there was ever a chance for you guys to blow us our of the water and pull the millions of people who are currently getting hit with how hard and boring and outdated wow classic is to this amazing game, this was your chance... but you blew it big time.

A lot of people are feeling let down. COMMUNICATE with us. Is there more??? Or is that it? Are we going to cantha ever? Will we be getting permanent arena? How much longer do wvw players have to wait before giving up??

To this I'd like to add the request to make more new dungeons. I enjoy most aspects of the game, including the dungeons, which sadly were made defunct some years ago.

It's clear why they ditched dungeons, because they took longer to make . I know this might come off a little harsh and i'm not saying any devs or anyone is lazy, but it seems like anet always has something really great and then says you know what we can do something similar without as much work. Fractals are cool and all, but..... this game is heavily reliant on it's open world content. Which is great to have don't get me wrong, but MMO's thrive off off instanced content a lot of the time. Raids are cool, but most of this games population is extremely casual players once again anet failing to read the room. This game already has a drastically different combat system to a typical mmo because of not having a usual holy trinity system which is a positive and a negative. Lets look at 3 other mmo's wow, ffxiv, and eso all of them have excellent instanced group content, some of which can be easily accessed by casual players and content for people that are more dedicated and want a bigger challenge. This is where gw2 and anet always fail. It's always a one sided thing. Not to mention there is never direct good rewards for doing things, it's always some crafting material you need to grind for or something along those lines. I would love for a meta to have a low drop chance of a mount skin, even if it was just a reskin.

@yann.1946 said:

Ah, then your statement makes sense I guess. Every August they do anniversary sales for the whole month. That's why people sometimes save gems for August. And why the gold to gem ratio spikes.

No, this situation presist atleast a 6 mounths already, new stuff every week plus some discounts and "limited time" offers. 400 gems used to costs 130-140 gold. August sales only raised it to 160-170 gold per 400 gems. No so big difference comparing 90 gold per 400 gems a year ago.