Invisible Footwear Skin - Gemstore

@"Mil.3562" said:I wonder if most of those invisible footwears listed in the TP are from ANet? It actually make sense.

The footwear costs about 3k gold in the TP and when you convert those to gems, based on 50g = 200 gems, it cost around $150 real money.

If it were to be on the gem store and selling at 2k gems, it's only $25...

Greedy.

That is always a slippery slope that has crossed my mind. Another game was D3 and their auction house. What was stopping them from generating loot to put on there?

Tbh though they are going to make far more from the gemstone selling 'legit" 25$ skins than an occasional 150$ rare skin illegitimate one.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Kate Soulguard.7132" said:Big toe is shorter than second toe

You do know that this is not exclusive to hobbits, right?Some people in real life (including me) have "second" toes longer than the "big uncle".

It seems some hobbits are hiding between us and are trying to mislead us! You are caught now :astonished: :lol:

Also - I never saw someone name their first foot finger a "big uncle", that's golden :P

This whole debate is beating a dead horse over and over again. A toogle Option is asked since vanilla, multiple Topics with countless posts. I dont want to say that it's that big like the discusions about Cantha or new Races, but it never fully vanished.

Meanwhile I moved on. Bought two pairs for about 4,000 Gold and waiting for a a good opportunity to buy the last one in the traiding post. Farming these things and hoping for the drop is a roller coaster of disapointment. At some Point all you want is just to puke.

@"Kas.3509" said:It seems some hobbits are hiding between us and are trying to mislead us! You are caught nowAlso - I never saw someone name their first foot finger a "big uncle", that's goldenI doubt those Tolkien abominations ever reached over 170 cm like I did though.Also, it's pretty common in Germany to call it 'big uncle' (or rather 'großer Onkel').

@Maria Murtor.7253 said:At some Point all you want is just to puke.

I feel like I killed thousands of those stupid 'shrooms and nowadays I since PoF release I never see anyone during Dragon's Stand anymore.Arenanet should add the box to more modern loot tables. like ALL the Champions in Bjora Marches.

@Justine.6351 said:

@"Mil.3562" said:I wonder if most of those invisible footwears listed in the TP are from ANet? It actually make sense.

The footwear costs about 3k gold in the TP and when you convert those to gems, based on 50g = 200 gems, it cost around $150 real money.

If it were to be on the gem store and selling at 2k gems, it's only $25...

Greedy.

That is always a slippery slope that has crossed my mind. Another game was D3 and their auction house. What was stopping them from generating loot to put on there?

Tbh though they are going to make far more from the gemstone selling 'legit" 25$ skins than an occasional 150$ rare skin illegitimate one.

Exactly, ANet will definitely make a lot more $$$ if they sell invisible ones in the gemstore. It's the sensible thing to do, money wise.

But then again, since when their decisions ever make sense? It's ANet.

• 8 months later...

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:

We thought you were trolling.These are prestige drops, just like auras and precursors

Yea I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't call the invisi shoes "prestige drops." Auras, precursors and legends all have super awesome looking, unique and flashy models / particle & light effects that broadcast to everyone how advanced you are in the game, as such they are very rare and highly sought after.

The invisi shoes don't fit that description. Quite the opposite actually, they are the lack of a skin. In most cases, others don't even notice the lack of skin (unless they're abnormally perceptive, or straight up looking for it.) The next part of the issue is possible substitutes. No other items in the game share skins with auras and legends. At least 90% of them have no duplicate in the game. They're unique. The invisi shoes serve only to reveal the base character model while retaining stats. The base model is nearly identical across all players (not counting species). The character creator isn't that in-depth. You could simply unequip your boots and achieve the exact same visual effect as having the skin. You cannot do this with other "prestige items" in the game.

And that brings us to the stats. I have been playing with my shoes unequipped on... maybe 3 of my 9 odd characters for literal years now. Both solo, in party, dungeons, and in zerg. I have never noticed a difference in performance stat-wise. GW2 isn't and never has been a particularly difficult game, so the loss of boots stats is easily worth far more than the time it would take an average player to farm up the gold (or money) to buy the skin, or, god forbid, farm the actual item drop itself.

Finally, there's the sheer confusion aspect. I'm not very well versed in auras, so I can't speak on that, but precursors can drop from nearly anywhere as far as I know. It doesn't matter a whole lot where you look for one. The leges require the player to explore the whole map and do a plethora of different activities, ranging from WvW all the way to item crafting. All of which can be worked on simultaneously alongside other activities. Dailies, farming, story quests, etc.. In a way, leges are a reward for playing the whole game. Compare that to the invisi shoes, which only drop from one enemy, which always spawns in the same spot on a handful of maps, requires an otherwise unappealing perk unlock to access, and has no unique mechanics other than "kill the bullet sponge", has a similarly hopeless drop rate to precursors, and can only be done once per day. Both are similarly grueling to get your hands on, while one is clearly superior to the other in almost every way, on top of the invisi shoes being easily substituted.

All in all, I just don't see a reason for this specific item to be as weirdly valuable and rare as it is, when i believe 3 of the 6 armor slots have visibility toggle options already.

This item is just... SOOO expensive and SOOO rare when its literally as easy as unequipping an item to get a near-identical result. The whole thing is just baffling to me.

@"ProtoGunner.4953" said:The question remains: why make an option to hide headgear and shoulders while hiding footwear is 'prestige'. It's inconsistent and annoying. And it was an outrage back then. And now I see 80% defending this kitten attitude...

The inofficial answer is: A dev was so annoyed by the required extra-work of the repeating requests to make another hide-checkbox (for the footwear) that he created an invisible skin, added it as a very, very rare drop (so players have to try/work for this a lot) and he could then silence all further check-box requests with : "problem solved.".

I always thought the barefoot skin was suppose to be like...a nod to Queen Jennah, she's powerful and barefoot, so a skin that is barefoot and keeps stats should be prestigious. Not saying I'm happy it's a rare drop like it is, but that's how I rationalized a barefoot skin being expensive in my head

@"Cronospere.8143" said:You wouldnt want those slippers if it wasnt a prestige reward as it is now..

How is it a "prestige" reward though?You can't see the item, the person could be either just have damaged boots or not be wearing boots at all. There's not so much "prestige" over that.And yes I would want them IF they were cheaper. But i'm not going to get them at that price, and if it drops I will sell it.So yeah I wouldn't mind them being cheaper, but it feels like it's a little to late for that. They made them a rare drop, so it would be unfair to owners of the item to completely remove the value from it though.

4-5 years of farming these mushrooms without getting a single drop, I bought mine in the end by saving up gold and P2P trading, I paid 100g to the moderator of the trade and around 2.5k gold to the player 500 gold rest mystic coins.

The market place isnt the only place where trade happens.

However, I do not ever want to see this skin go on the market for gems as it would then become too common. I value this item way above silly flashy infusions (rarer to see too! )

The only thing id like to see on the gemstore is more armour that ends at the knee!

Currently stuck with this look (which I must say from an self observation.. is the most unique look in the game.):

llC5fNH.png

@jokke.6239 said:

@"Cronospere.8143" said:You wouldnt want those slippers if it wasnt a prestige reward as it is now..

How is it a "prestige" reward though?You can't see the item, the person could be either just have damaged boots or not be wearing boots at all. There's not so much "prestige" over that.And yes I would want them IF they were cheaper. But i'm not going to get them at that price, and if it drops I will sell it.So yeah I wouldn't mind them being cheaper, but it feels like it's a little to late for that. They made them a rare drop, so it would be unfair to owners of the item to completely remove the value from it though.

That's my point.. you wouldn't want them, if they werent that rare.. there is nothing prestige about the item.. other then its extremely overprices because it drops 1 in a million. just like you say, broken armor pieces are the same..