Extra Life Bonus

I received some Extra Life Bonus without accepting anything.I have leveled up my character up to level 55 in a timeline I should have reached 40 at best. Some people might find this excellent but I don't ! Feels like cheating, I eat levels without any effort.

Sadly, it seems there is no way to get rid of this bonus ! I am forced to not play until 10th november...

Did your timeline factor in that unlike a lot of games the XP required to level increases at roughly the same rate as the XP awarded from events, hearts etc. which means that the time required to level up doesn't increase - it takes roughly the same time to go from level 40 to 50 as to go from 30 to 40? The XP boost from Extra Life is only 5%. That's not going to make a big difference, certainly not enough to explain the difference you've stated.

Alternatively maybe you've been doing something which gives more XP than usual, like following a squad in the Mad King's Labyrinth, or just encountering more events. There's a lot of variability in sources of XP, which can also make levelling unpredictable.

(Also if the Extra Life event bothers you it's probably good you weren't here for the first few years of the game, when your world's performance in WvW gave everyone bonuses, including a XP boost.)

@Danikat.8537 said:Did your timeline factor in that unlike a lot of games the XP required to level increases at roughly the same rate as the XP awarded from events, hearts etc. which means that the time required to level up doesn't increase - it takes roughly the same time to go from level 40 to 50 as to go from 30 to 40? The XP boost from Extra Life is only 5%. That's not going to make a big difference, certainly not enough to explain the difference you've stated.

Alternatively maybe you've been doing something which gives more XP than usual, like following a squad in the Mad King's Labyrinth, or just encountering more events. There's a lot of variability in sources of XP, which can also make levelling unpredictable.

(Also if the Extra Life event bothers you it's probably good you weren't here for the first few years of the game, when your world's performance in WvW gave everyone bonuses, including a XP boost.)

Yes and no, I have 10 stacks bonus, so 50% more experience from every sources (as stated in tooltip) : mining, killing, hearts, events. It does ramp up very fast.I don't have any doubt because this bonus is showed on every gains.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Did your timeline factor in that unlike a lot of games the XP required to level increases at roughly the same rate as the XP awarded from events, hearts etc. which means that the time required to level up doesn't increase - it takes roughly the same time to go from level 40 to 50 as to go from 30 to 40? The XP boost from Extra Life is only 5%. That's not going to make a big difference, certainly not enough to explain the difference you've stated.

Yes and no, I have 10 stacks bonus, so 50% more experience from every sources (as stated in tooltip) : mining, killing, hearts, events. It does ramp up very fast.I don't have any doubt because this bonus is showed on every gains.

Just play some wvw with the bonus you wont gain character levels but wvw levels instead.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:I received some Extra Life Bonus without accepting anything.I have leveled up my character up to level 55 in a timeline I should have reached 40 at best. Some people might find this excellent but I don't ! Feels like cheating, I eat levels without any effort.

Sadly, it seems there is no way to get rid of this bonus ! I am forced to not play until 10th november...

If you are worried about a leveling process that matters you are playing the wrong game.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:I received some Extra Life Bonus without accepting anything.I have leveled up my character up to level 55 in a timeline I should have reached 40 at best. Some people might find this excellent but I don't ! Feels like cheating, I eat levels without any effort.

If you are worried about a leveling process that matters you are playing the wrong game.

No, it was perfectly fine without this bonus. It is a bad design to give an unremovable bonus. Since it appears along with boons and food, you should be able to remove it.

@Vash.2386 said:You will need to get used to this as you play the game. Frequently there are weeks where random bonuses are given (xp, karma,mf, pvp/wvw) not only just for The Extra Life event.

I’m not sure why you find it a bad thing. It’s a bonus not a penalty.

For the same reason I don't use any booster. I like to play the old way, earning each level.With 50% boost, I'm already level 40 when finished 2 maps (1-15, 15-25), instead of level 30. Now, I'm already 55 but I have barely done 20% of map 35-45.Yes, it's a weird issue, but I like the normal flow.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@Vash.2386 said:You will need to get used to this as you play the game. Frequently there are weeks where random bonuses are given (xp, karma,mf, pvp/wvw) not only just for The Extra Life event.

For the same reason I don't use any booster. I like to play the old way, earning each level.With 50% boost, I'm already level 40 when finished 2 maps (1-15, 15-25), instead of level 30. Now, I'm already 55 but I have barely done 20% of map 35-45.Yes, it's a weird issue, but I like the normal flow.

You know that can be done without the bonus too...the bonus was so small it barely affected your level gaining. What I'm saying is I can take a new character and get to the same level as you without any bonus affects, and still be in the 2nd or 3rd map, that's how easy it is to level in this game.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

You know that can be done without the bonus too...the bonus was so small it barely affected your level gaining. What I'm saying is I can take a new character and get to the same level as you without any bonus affects, and still be in the 2nd or 3rd map, that's how easy it is to level in this game.

Bonus is 50% and affects every experience source. It means you level 50% faster, can't call that small.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@"Vash.2386" said:You will need to get used to this as you play the game. Frequently there are weeks where random bonuses are given (xp, karma,mf, pvp/wvw) not only just for The Extra Life event.

While the bonus does of course increase this, you'd overlevel the maps anyway if you're completing them as you go.

I understand the principle, when I played LOTRO I periodically used an XP-blocker to not outlevel content. Here though, I don't see the point given downleveling. Don't slot more traits than the maps "expect" you to have and don't upgrade your gear - that should keep challenge basically on level.

@Friday.7864 said:0-80 is basically a really long tutorial nowadays.It won't even teach you how to be good at the content that you'll encounter at level 80.Sub 80 content is super easy and personally I don't see much point in staying there for long :/

This is why tomes and level 80 boosters are very popular.Saying it is super easy is just wrong, there are tough events in any maps, not to mention champions. Doing them solo without proper gear (bought in market) and level 80/elite spec can be very challenging.People don't know because most play in these zones with elite spec and probably optimal gear.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@Friday.7864 said:0-80 is basically a really long tutorial nowadays.It won't even teach you how to be good at the content that you'll encounter at level 80.Sub 80 content is super easy and personally I don't see much point in staying there for long :/

This is why tomes and level 80 boosters are very popular.Saying it is super easy is just wrong, there are tough events in any maps, not to mention champions. Doing them solo without proper gear (bought in market) and level 80/elite spec can be very challenging.People don't know because most play in these zones with elite spec and probably optimal gear.

Yeah, but this thread is about leveling. What do ppl do to level? Map completion and events along the way. Not soloing champions.That is in fact super easy.Sub 80 map completion is a walk in the park compared to completing a HoT map for example. Some HoT hero points give me nightmares.Random events can be soloed in sub 80 maps, most of the ones in expansion - not really.

And let's set aside the stuff that's clearly meant to be group content (champions included, since the events themselves describe them as such). Soloing them just means you want to challenge yourself.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

Bonus is 50% and affects every experience source. It means you level 50% faster, can't call that small.

Not sure what bonus you got but mine was only 5% across the 4 items it gave a bonus for, and that's literally worth nothing.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

Not sure what bonus you got but mine was only 5% across the 4 items it gave a bonus for, and that's literally worth nothing.

It's 5% per stack, and we have 10 stacks.

@kratan.4619 said:

@Dante.1508 said:The game starts at 80.. enjoy the less grind.

The game ends at 80 for me, I normally just start another alt and park the 80 somewhere. The only time I really use the 80 is to work on achieves or new LS episodes.

I used to play like that myself but with how hard Ascended armor and weapons became i gave up.. I still make the odd character but then i think of how much i need to spend on them to make them viable to play i go back to my older characters..

GW2 is not the GW2 i played at release i agree.. Its pretty much a nightmare now for altaholics.