Trypophobia Awareness and Kormir's Library

reapex.8546

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:

Yeah there was a Pokemon episode that did that. It was edited for American audiences and slowed the flashing effect of the enemy's Gengar's attack down. But flashes wasn't related to slow fps. It was due to high number of flashes per second.

Which I mentioned. Flashing happens a lot on GW2 when players do open world boss fights. The flashing combined with the low FPS in the game can cause headaches, zone out episodes, momentary blackouts, etc. A thing they could be do is reduce the visual effects automatically when a lot of players group together in fights sort of how mini pets are disabled when there are to many players.

Yeah there was a Pokemon episode that did that. It was edited for American audiences and slowed the flashing effect of the enemy's Gengar's attack down. But flashes wasn't related to slow fps. It was due to high number of flashes per second.

Which I mentioned. Flashing happens a lot on GW2 when players do open world boss fights. The flashing combined with the low FPS in the game can cause headaches, zone out episodes, momentary blackouts, etc. A thing they could be do is reduce the visual effects automatically when a lot of players group together in fights sort of how mini pets are disabled when there are to many players.

Ah okay, sorry; Thought you were commenting on low fps only. That's the part I didn't know of but you're saying it's a combination of low fps and the flashes. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. The engine does do something, like for me the maw fight is about 2 fps then 2 mins later it becomes 12 fps and the game is no longer a complete slideshow. But it sounds like more optimization would be helpful. Have you tried reshade? It was suggested to me, you should be able to dull the flashes and colors even more so than the game options produces.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@reapex.8546 said:

@"nosleepdemon.1368" said:Holes? That was what bothered you about
that
instance OP? Good Lord. I was triggered by the freaking stairs that SPIRAL INTO THE WALL, and the invisible walls
everywhere
, and by just how awful a character Kasmir is, and by how pointless talking to Komir was, and by just hos generally bland the story is.

The sandy bit with the puzzle was neat though.

I don't think you what "trigger" or what a phobia means. Your use of "trigger" is not liking something. I don't hate the wall pattern, I think it looks cool. Despite my body being "triggered" by it.

On the contrary, I suffer from climacophobia which is the fear of climbing steps. For me specifically it is made more intense by optical illusions, like penrose steps. Each step I climbed became more difficult with the fear of the staircase vanishing into a wall. I frequently flung my character far off the stairways for fear of encountering more impossible architecture. Komir must have wondered what the pact commander was doing, constantly throwing themselves to their death.

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:Holes? That was what bothered you about
that
instance OP? Good Lord. I was triggered by the freaking stairs that SPIRAL INTO THE WALL, and the invisible walls
everywhere
, and by just how awful a character Kasmir is, and by how pointless talking to Komir was, and by just hos generally bland the story is.

I don't think you what "trigger" or what a phobia means. Your use of "trigger" is not liking something. I don't hate the wall pattern, I think it looks cool. Despite my body being "triggered" by it.

On the contrary, I suffer from climacophobia which is the fear of climbing steps. For me specifically it is made more intense by optical illusions, like penrose steps. Each step I climbed became more difficult with the fear of the staircase vanishing into a wall. I frequently flung my character far off the stairways for fear of encountering more impossible architecture. Komir must have wondered what the pact commander was doing, constantly throwing themselves to their death.

Dang, I'm sorry you have to go through that with all the stairs in the game too. How do you deal with it?

@reapex.8546 said:

Ah okay, sorry; Thought you were commenting on low fps only. That's the part I didn't know of but you're saying it's a combination of low fps and the flashes. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. The engine does do something, like for me the maw fight is about 2 fps then 2 mins later it becomes 12 fps and the game is no longer a complete slideshow. But it sounds like more optimization would be helpful. Have you tried reshade? It was suggested to me, you should be able to dull the flashes and colors even more so than the game options produces.

I've played with all sorts of settings. I'm about to build a new system and relegate my current one to a file server. One thing that hits me weird is when it suddenly goes from low FPS to normal in an instant. I have the pressure in my head from the low FPS then it's gone in an instant. It's sort of like a balloon popping in my skull. :)

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:

I've played with all sorts of settings. I'm about to build a new system and relegate my current one to a file server. One thing that hits me weird is when it suddenly goes from low FPS to normal in an instant. I have the pressure in my head from the low FPS then it's gone in an instant. It's sort of like a balloon popping in my skull. :)

That's totally not a good feeling, thank you for explaining. I hope yoru plan works out with your new system, so you no longer have to suffer from the low fps drops ><.

@reapex.8546 said:

that
everywhere

Dang, I'm sorry you have to go through that with all the stairs in the game too. How do you deal with it?

Oh, you know. One step at a time!

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

that
everywhere

Oh, you know. One
step
at a time!

Lol nice pun, I'm glad to know you're more making progress :D

@"ShadowGryphon.6257" said:Let me guess, next someone will want peanuts removed from the game as they would offend those with nut allergies.Face palmI'm not trying to be insensitive but "tightly packed holes" are something that one will never get away from.Deal with is by dealing with it, don't shy away from it.It's the same thing I do with heights.

I'm not gonna lie, on my first read of OP's initial post, I had a similar thought. I kept reading the thread and relooked at the first post again. I suggest you do the same, rather than popping off uninformed, as you just did. Yes, OP could have been clearer about the fact that they are trying to spread awareness, but they never once talked about wanting Anet to remove or change anything. OP and most of the rest of the posters on this thread have instead discussed techniques they use or that others have used to cope with their phobias in game.

I am fortunate that none of my phobias are strong enough to be triggered by anything in game, but others are not. Telling somebody to just deal with it is an uninformed thing to say. A phobia, is literally an irrational fear. Hence, they don't respond to normal rationalizations.

For example:My Brain - You'll fall to your death! drop to the ground and hold on before you get sucked over the edge!Also My Brain - I'm twenty feet back from the edge of that cliff and gravity doesn't work that way.My Brain - PANIC, I SAY!Also My Brain - starting excessive sweat production and some introductory hyperventilation Um,...could we not? Can that be an option?My Brain - NO!Also My Brain - I hate you so much right now.

Fortunately, this isn't something I have to deal with while playing. Apparently, you don't either, so lucky us. Not everyone is as fortunate, so please don't dismiss their struggle out of hand, just because yours has been easier so far.

@"ShadowGryphon.6257" said:Let me guess, next someone will want peanuts removed from the game as they would offend those with nut allergies.Face palmI'm not trying to be insensitive but "tightly packed holes" are something that one will never get away from.Deal with is by dealing with it, don't shy away from it.It's the same thing I do with heights.

Yeah, you really should read the post. You made a bunch of false assumptions. No one asked for anything to be removed."tightly packed holes" isn't the issue, Orr has a ton of tightly packed holes and that does not activate the phobia.The post is about Kormir's library meaning their is something unique that is being done in her library, if you want to know more then read my post.

Also, you should never compare your problem to other people. Your sentence, "just deal with it" by confronting the fear doesn't work for everyone. Especially when the phobia is extreme and can cause anxiety attacks to the point of death. If your NOT a license professional you shouldn't be telling people how to deal with their phobia.

@tinymurder.5791 said:

@"ShadowGryphon.6257" said:Let me guess, next someone will want peanuts removed from the game as they would offend those with nut allergies.
Face palm
I'm not trying to be insensitive but "tightly packed holes" are something that one will never get away from.Deal with is by dealing with it, don't shy away from it.It's the same thing I do with heights.

I'm not gonna lie, on my first read of OP's initial post, I had a similar thought. I kept reading the thread and relooked at the first post again. I suggest you do the same, rather than popping off uninformed, as you just did. Yes, OP could have been clearer about the fact that they are trying to spread awareness, but they never once talked about wanting Anet to remove or change anything. OP and most of the rest of the posters on this thread have instead discussed techniques they use or that others have used to cope with their phobias in game.

I am fortunate that none of my phobias are strong enough to be triggered by anything in game, but others are not. Telling somebody to just deal with it is an uninformed thing to say. A phobia, is literally an irrational fear. Hence, they don't respond to normal rationalizations.

For example:My Brain - You'll fall to your death! drop to the ground and hold on before you get sucked over the edge!Also My Brain - I'm twenty feet back from the edge of that cliff and gravity doesn't work that way.My Brain - PANIC, I SAY!Also My Brain -
starting excessive sweat production and some introductory hyperventilation
Um,...could we not? Can that be an option?My Brain - NO!Also My Brain - I hate you so much right now.

Fortunately, this isn't something I have to deal with while playing. Apparently, you don't either, so lucky us. Not everyone is as fortunate, so please don't dismiss their struggle out of hand, just because yours has been easier so far.

Thank you, I thought the title of the thread with Awareness in it would have been enough to tell people it's an awareness post but I guess not.I added Trypophobia Awareness as the first sentence in the original post.

"Spreading awareness" is just a thinly veiled way of saying "change this." No one "brings awareness" to things they don't want changed in any way shape or form. Saying you don't want things removed is disingenuous and insulting frankly. No one goes up to a store owner to bring attention to the fact that there's a spill on isle six but doesn't expect anything to be done about it at all. So despite the fact that you're not forward enough to outright demand things be changed for you, you are taking the sneaky way around to the same outcome hoping no one notices.

"you should never compare your problem to other people. Your sentence, "just deal with it" by confronting the fear doesn't work for everyone. Especially when the phobia is extreme and cause anxiety attacks to the point of death. If your NOT a license professional you shouldn't be telling people how to deal with their phobia."

Ah yes, no one should tell you how to do things but you should be perfectly allowed to tell others how they have to change and adapt and do everything they can to cater to your problem. Makes perfect sense.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:"Spreading awareness" is just a thinly veiled way of saying "change this."

Nah. Spreading awareness is exactly what it says on the tin. It's telling people about a phobia (or other condition) they or their friends might have. The thread is not addressed to ArenaNet, and it is not a request for change.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:No one "brings awareness" to things they don't want changed in any way shape or form.

I think the entirety of the mental illness and disability awareness movement would like to have a word with you. Phobias and other conditions can't necessarily be cured, fixed, or changed, but people can definitely improve their situation by bringing awareness to it and trading coping mechanisms with other people. Awareness isn't a demand or a plea, it's an exchanging of information and education.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:Ah yes, no one should tell you how to do things but you should be perfectly allowed to tell others how they have to change and adapt and do everything they can to cater to your problem. Makes perfect sense.

No one should tell you to 'just get over' something they don't understand can't just be gotten over. This is not helpful, constructive, or kind. If you read back through this thread, you will see a number of other posters who have made the same mistake as you and who have posted the same response you have posted.

I'm sad to see how many people are skimming the OP and looking for battles.

@"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:"Spreading awareness" is just a thinly veiled way of saying "change this." No one "brings awareness" to things they don't want changed in any way shape or form.

This may come as surprise to you but there are people that care what others go through and will prefer to warn people before they have a similar experience.Ah yes, no one should tell you how to do things but you should be perfectly allowed to tell others how they have to change and adapt and do everything they can to cater to your problem.

Incorrect, I never stated that at all your adding your own words in to fit your own perspective.Ah yes, no one should tell you how to do things but you should be perfectly allowed to tell others how they have to change and adaptIncorrect, as well.

@Doggie.3184 said:

Slightly off topic, I wonder what causes this condition? What evolutionary development made humans fear/get irritated by this type of thing?

Written into some peoples' DNA still by early beach humans who had to avoid Killer Eels that could pop out of any nearby hole and swallow their soul.

o.O That sounds extreme, however this entire phobia has caused me to think what our ancestors went through in the distant past.

I don't think I have a true phobia, but I will admit that pattern made me feel a bit ill, and I didn't understand it at all. Combine it with the fear of heights and those winding stairs, it was difficult to do the searching around the library. I think this is a very interesting topic, and helpful that ways of coping are discussed. Nobody is asking for a change. I suffer from depression, but I don't expect them to only make happy stories. In fact, I enjoy some of the darker turns. But if I'm having a bad day, I won't go play certain chapters that day. Or stop and switch to something else should I be surprised by an emotional response.

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:I don't think I have a true phobia, but I will admit that pattern made me feel a bit ill, and I didn't understand it at all.I'm sorry the pattern made you feel a little bit ill, I took the picture at an angle to hopefully lower the effects of anyone that maybe affected. I'm glad you ran into this post, because now you know that looking at the wall directly may have a more severe impact on you. Back in 2017 there wasn't post for Kormir's library [that I could find] for Trypophobia. I just remember hyperventilating, palms sweating, and feeling nauseous. This year, the effects were less because I learned about the condition and put into effect what I learned by staring at the ground. The knowledge of knowing the condition existed helped me not freak out when it occurred unlike in 2017. I'm glad I know now, what I didn't know back then and it's awesome that I can share this information for others too. After playing games for over 20 years, I never ran into this issue before which made the experience more frightening when it did occur.

and those winding stairsYeah, thanks to this topoic, I learned their is a fear of winding stairs that lead to no one where, I had no idea. So, I'm even more glad that I made this post. I've been learning more and the awareness topic is helping several people. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and solutions with each other :D

@Cerioth.7062 said:I have a very weird phobia - spiderwebs and cocoons. This makes it very hard to fight canyon spiders and go through webbed areas. Nowadays I use reshade shaders to hide the webs, but sadly havent found a way to deal with some of the spider mobs in the game yet...

I'm sorry you have to deal with that, it's awesome reshade was able to help. Yeah, if there was a mod that could turn the spiders into something like devourers would be helpful. I intend to try re-shade sometime this year.