Where's the Hype?

So, eight days left... We only know that Raven is the new mastery line but don't know what it does. We know the Boneskinner will more than likely be in the episode. What does it do? What sort of content is ANet hoping to release with the saga to generate hype that makes it so different than a season? It's the same formula. Same format. The announcement didn't really reveal anything, and though I was hyped at first, I find myself questioning the direction of the game along with my friends. Many of my friends believe GW2 will be dead by the end of 2020 because this Saga isn't really any different than a Season. What is ANet planning? What do they want to experiment with that they couldn't experiment with before? What's the plan after the Saga? Expansion? Elite Specs? Is the Whisper in the Dark going to be released the same day as launch? We all know that was a mistake. ANet says that they're more for communication now, but what exactly are we supposed to expect?

Friends think that Episode 1 will make or break the game and determine whether GW2 will survive. If it's just another Season episode with no fractal, no raid, nothing really new except another story chapter and a mastery line we have no idea what it does... then maybe... I just don't know what to think anymore.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 episode is not going to make or break the game. Not in anyones dreamland

People are over focusing on "saga" meaning something completely different for the game. It doesn't - it's just an LS title and a slightly different format given the theme of the season.

As far as I am aware, no fractals or raids are forthcoming. The closest will be the Strike Mission

As for communication...I think we can safely say given the non-plussed reaction from the company about the feedback to the templates, that communication is not something we are going to get much on. It is simply not a priority for the company and they prefer full secrecy wherever possible. Basically, you are going to have to wait and see what is delivered.

I think if you look at the prologue as a guide -- which may not be wise -- anet is moving more towards conventional mmo 'grindier' content, with quick, timegated tasks that offer incremental or rng progress towards rewards in the interest of giving players 'something to do'. It's probably a sound strategy from a business perspective, as gw2 is more likely to succeed by hanging on to the players it has rather than growing its playerbase, as it is a more dated game at this point . . .

I continue to be perplexed by the community's expectation that 'saga' is anything more significant than a name change. I'm not sure anet has given us any reason to believe otherwise, or that they intended to . . .

For the new ep I'm most interested in how the strike mission will develop, and how the community will react if the difficulty ramps up too steeply. Things of less interest would be how they plan to develop the map, how the story will progress, and whether I'll be able to do something with all these damned chilies :p

Oh, and ofc the game will 'survive'. And if it doesn't there are plenty of other ways to spend your leisure hours. Not really a concern . . .

@Neo Mortem.3627 said:Friends think that Episode 1 will make or break the game and determine whether GW2 will survive. If it's just another Season episode with no fractal, no raid, nothing really new except another story chapter and a mastery line we have no idea what it does... then maybe... I just don't know what to think anymore.

tbh another fractal and another raid is also more of the same.

I'm at least hoping the maps will be expanded and connected together like Orr, HoM, Crystal Desert, instead of this hopscotch we've been doing. That alone would break out of the Living World mode and turn it into "expansion-level" content for me..

Playing a bunch of random maps is probably the most un-expansion-like aspect of LW for me, overall.

Its a living world.. I'm not hyped sorry..

Its more filler, more grinds, more currencies i don't want to chase, More specs to overpower the old ones, more mounts to make the old ones obsolete, more cash shop gems stuff and very little actual story.. Sorry if its negative but its how i feel about newer Guildwars 2 content.

@Dante.1508 said:Its a living world.. I'm not hyped sorry..

Its more filler, more grinds, more currencies i don't want to chase, More specs to overpower the old ones, more mounts to make the old ones obsolete, more cash shop gems stuff and very little actual story.. Sorry if its negative but its how i feel about newer Guildwars 2 content.

And I wouldn't be hyped for another raid, or a new fractal or some PvP map. That's how it works. I'm guessing there are more people playing Living World maps and enjoying them than there are raiding or PvPing (and perhaps raiding and PvPing).

Sure not everyone is enthused with the living world, but for some people, that's their main game.

Agree. People always think more things are coming the 'next' episode or the 'next' saga but ANET seems to have established that nothing new or great is coming ANYTIME soon. I think people are settling for an under-performing game right now.I actually miss the old ANET up to HoT...even though it seemed like a dumpster fire at times...it was far better then than it is now. Same ol same ol.

@Vayne.8563 said:

And I wouldn't be hyped for another raid, or a new fractal or some PvP map. That's how it works. I'm guessing there are more people playing Living World maps and enjoying them than there are raiding or PvPing (and perhaps raiding and PvPing).

Sure not everyone is enthused with the living world, but for some people, that's their main game.

Only because we are forced to go there due to currencies.. I doubt many would bother if those weren't there after the story.

@Acheron.4731 said:

Agree. People always think more things are coming the 'next' episode or the 'next' saga but ANET seems to have established that nothing new or great is coming ANYTIME soon. I think people are settling for an under-performing game right now.I actually miss the old ANET up to HoT...even though it seemed like a dumpster fire at times...it was far better then than it is now. Same ol same ol.

Agreed its a large dose of becareful what you wish for imo.. Sure new content is great but the way Anet sets it up to be yet another epic korean style grind is not what i look forward too.. Its not why i started playing Guildwars, i joined Guildwars to actually avoid the standard mmo trope.. Now its literally becoming WoW with a different skin.

@Jethro.9376 said:

But is it even a Living World anymore? The last time the world really changed was when Mordemoths veins destroyed the waypoints.Everything is instanced/contained in a single map nowadays.

You do have a point there i wonder if Anet should start calling these things something else.. I must say though the original LS 1 really messed with a lot of the maps and they never ever got fixed, so i can understand why they avoided that after.. It didn't work well.

@Dante.1508 said:

Only because we are forced to go there due to currencies.. I doubt many would bother if those weren't there after the story.

Agreed its a large dose of becareful what you wish for imo.. Sure new content is great but the way Anet sets it up to be yet another epic korean style grind is not what i look forward too.. Its not why i started playing Guildwars, i joined Guildwars to actually avoid the standard mmo trope.. Now its literally becoming WoW with a different skin.

Well, I don't know that that's true. You're certainly not forced to do anything in Grothmar, but it's busy all the time. I think there are far more achievement point hunters out there, and people who play open world content than you think. In fact, I'd wager that rewards being equal, far more people would play open world than raiding or PvP and maybe both combined.

Saying we're only doing it for rewards is like saying everyone is only raiding for legendary armor. Some people only raid because they want legendary armor, that's true. But it's not most of the raiding community I think.

@Vayne.8563 said:

Well, I don't know that that's true. You're certainly not forced to do anything in Grothmar, but it's busy all the time. I think there are far more achievement point hunters out there, and people who play open world content than you think. In fact, I'd wager that rewards being equal, far more people would play open world than raiding or PvP and maybe both combined.

Saying we're only doing it for rewards is like saying everyone is only raiding for legendary armor. Some people only raid because they want legendary armor, that's true. But it's not most of the raiding community I think.

If your on a good raid team you clear the raids monday and then wait for next monday if raiding is all you did.So ofcourse open world will have more people playing it you can do it solo all day everyday.

@Linken.6345 said:

If your on a good raid team you clear the raids monday and then wait for next monday if raiding is all you did.So ofcourse open world will have more people playing it you can do it solo all day everyday.

I bet you more people play the open world that never consider raiding than have EVER raided in this game put together. I don't know why raiders think they have such a large percentage of the playerbase raiding. If that were true, that's what Anet would have focused on.