"Sanity is but a Mirage!" ... said the scourge

Ugh if that's the case I hate it. lolSounds like Jared Leto's Joker on Hot Topic merch. Aside from that mental health and school of magic should never be tied to each other. Individual players and characters should determine those things case by case. "You're playing the CRAZY class" stinks to high heaven.

I mean, scourges are from a desert region, which has actual mirages (no not the elite spec, the real life phenomena), so it kinda fits. Also, considering that the elite reaches into the realm of torment, which was where abaddon was once trapped, and how many who are tormented by extreme circumstances can go insane, i'd say it fits.

While it is a bit odd that charr would say it, they would have been taught by those native to the region, so i dunno. Torment is also a condition heavily used. I know i'm reaching with this post, but I also think it's not the most key thing to analyse.

Mirage, the class, is also sand themed. In HoT the elite specs were themed more to their profession and less to the environment, so the PoF specs do have less distinguishable elements like "uses sand magic". Still it seems way more like a Mirage line than a Scourge one. I understand Scourge's roots in torment, and I guess you could tie torment to sanity? It's a stretch. This line is just really weird.

Mirage, being a heavy Confusion dealing spec/class, the play of Sanity being the opposite of Confusion, and Mirage being the class/spec... Scourge should not be saying this line. It is a Mirage line being accidentally said by the Scourge. I do wonder if Mirages say the Scourge line with their elite.

@eyestrain.3056 said:Ugh if that's the case I hate it. lolSounds like Jared Leto's Joker on Hot Topic merch. Aside from that mental health and school of magic should never be tied to each other. Individual players and characters should determine those things case by case. "You're playing the CRAZY class" stinks to high heaven.

I don't know.People usually call me crazy for having a huge fascination with the dead and spirits all my life.

Mirage epic is Jaunt, "Shadowstep to a target location and confuse nearby foes". And your quote would make sense for that, so it does sound like something got mixed up...?

I tried checking it with my Asura mesmer, but he didn't seem to say anything at all when using Jaunt, got tired of trying after fifty ports.

@"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:It certainly fits with the lines the NPCs in the Realm of Torment had in Nightfall.

"There is a song at the center of the world, my friend, and it is the sound of razors through flesh."

Let's just reach into there and pull out something horrible.

As an ally to do your bidding.I'm not seeing insane, I'm seeing genius.(in before thin line between the two and blah blah blah).

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:It certainly fits with the lines the NPCs in the Realm of Torment had in Nightfall.

"There is a song at the center of the world, my friend, and it is the sound of razors through flesh."

Let's just reach into there and pull out something horrible.

As an ally to do your bidding.I'm not seeing insane, I'm seeing genius.(in before thin line between the two and blah blah blah).

As a mad scientist, I'm not disagreeing.

@Zaltys.7649 said:Mirage epic is Jaunt, "Shadowstep to a target location and confuse nearby foes". And your quote would make sense for that, so it does sound like something got mixed up...?

I tried checking it with my Asura mesmer, but he didn't seem to say anything at all when using Jaunt, got tired of trying after fifty ports.

There is dialogue during Jaunt.

My asura says "over here!" and "shifting sands!" or similar - which I like, nice and short.

I really don't want that sanity is but a mirage line on mirage - I don't like how it reads.

I think the core thing in there is "sanity". Considering the tooltip says the skill is related to the Torment realm, it's arguable that no sanity has to be expected there. Maybe only the word mirage was awkward in that context, but sanity... why not ?

Eventhough I'm usually more for the split between : mind wrack = mesmer ; body wrack = necro.

Its about fear, you need to focus on the apect of sanity, and how it's fake. Its supposed to be a taunt, or a suggestion that your fear is 'real'.Fear is probably the only mental aspect that better fits necromancers than mesmers.They used mirage as a synonym of illusion/false since we're in the desert now

@ThomasC.1056 said:I think the core thing in there is "sanity". Considering the tooltip says the skill is related to the Torment realm, it's arguable that no sanity has to be expected there. Maybe only the word mirage was awkward in that context, but sanity... why not ?

Eventhough I'm usually more for the split between : mind wrack = mesmer ; body wrack = necro.

Seeing how my Mirage can dash into enemies with the axe and make a 2nd form of myself and then make me and the clone vanish and come out of no where and attack which causes that enemy(ies) to start attack each other due to confusion at times... I say the whole "Sanity is just a Mirage" works well.

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

I don't know.People usually call me crazy for having a huge fascination with the dead and spirits all my life.

Except Necromancy, and real life interest in death, are not crazy. I understand how fascination with death is stigmatized as weird, or how people view someone who spends a lot of time surrounded by death is somehow an unwell person. But you should recognize there is nothing inherently sick about it- in reality or for these fantasy magic users. It's just interest and specialization in an important aspect of being alive- death is part of life and nature, as much as elemental magic, druidic magic, etc. I accept people will consider death and necromancy taboo or "crazy". But that's a lack of understanding on their part- not the objective reality. Necromancers should be the last ones to be insinuate they are insane for using their magic.

I stand by my point that sanity, and mental health, deserve to be handled on an individual level and painting a whole class as insane is really distasteful- if that's what this line is getting at for scourges.

• 2 years later...

Sanity is but a mirage! Ghastly Breach inflicts the enemy with torment by "breaching into the realm of torment" and the definition of torment is "severe physical or mental suffering" and a mirage is "an optical illusion caused by atmospheric conditions, especially the appearance of a sheet of water in a desert or on a hot road caused by the refraction of light from the sky by heated air." Hence sanity; "the ability to think and behave in a normal and rational manner; sound mental health" is a "mere mirage" in the realm of torment. So imo, they kinda misused "mirage" cause sanity cant be a mirage, it could be though, Sanity is but an illusion! Illusion-"anything that seems to be something that it is not"(which would it make sound if more "mesmery" or not necrotic), but i guess since in PoF, the specs are so tied with the environment, (as someone stated previously) and the environment in PoF is mostly desert and mirages happen a lot in deserts, the word mirage would most likely fit. In my opinion also, there's alot of things in gw2 that the wording seems to "fit" more, a specific class,but I don't think words have to be subjective to specific classes. As someone said though, this might not be the key thing to analyse, but I just like analyzing stuff and I think i did well :smiley: