Toby.8105

Just wanted to let you know how unpleasant I find the random timegating.It's a dragon that consumes magic, why can't you just let it magically grow within one real life day tops? Or even better, 3 in game days! Can't you take your realism elsewhere?
I literally have everything ready for the collection, but no way to actually progress it.

• Like 1

Newer players have a much different experience with the game than old players. Early access to mounts being a major contributor. You have the option to get your first mount before finishing the core story, season 2, the first expansion and season 3. Old players didn't have that. Imagine all that content as a requirement before getting to expansion 2 story and the first mount. (That would be my preferred way to play, if I bought the game now.)

@Toby.8105 said:My point exactly, they burned through it already.Don't have to apply the same stupid restrictions to newer players.

So, you feel you should be able to burn through it yourself, because you are a newer player and you deserve different rules for that?Um... no? And you do have a way to progress your collection: wait, like everyone else did.

I expected this, I've long complained about certain timegates becoming more of a burden over time.Mawdry and ascended crafting materials to name a few that just don't need to exist anymore.They just punish and slow down newer players trying to go for certain things for no reason.

I guess Skyscale has now reached the point where it's timegates have no reason to be a thing anymore.

• Like 1

Patience is a virtueWell known proverbial Phrase.

Definition:The ability to wait for something without frustration is a useful skill and a good aspect of one’s personality.

The idea behind this expression goes as far back as the fifth century, to the epic poem Psychomachia. This poem serves to highlight Christian ideals and describes vices and virtues as people fighting one another.

I know I know, in todays instant serve and must have immediately world this concept might be outdated. Still it might be worth reevaluating ones own personality if "waiting" for 3 days for some digital pixels in a video game has such a big effect, if there are not deeper issues at hand.

Unlike most collections which I quite enjoy and don't mind taking my time with, there's a certain sense of urgency to get a Skyscale (and to a lesser degree the Griffon) that isn't really present for other mounts. The meta in Dragonfall and the following boss events almost necessitate having one to keep up with the group as they mow down enemies and complete objectives. There are alternatives to this, of course (wild Skyscales on ledges, using other mounts, updrafts, ley lines, etc.), but they aren't as efficient and therefore you may feel left in the dust. This can be frustrating for people working on the map meta achievements and turn your game time into grind time.

Prestige or not, the effort for a Skyscale is a sharp uptick from even the Griffon and a massive change in effort from the basic mounts. Having a big ask like that also coupled with a feeling of 'I need this or I can't keep up' coupled with time-gating results in frustration and disappointment for some players, which I think is why these sorts of threads keep popping up.

I've always advocated for re-evaluating mounts the same way they make balance adjustments to classes, maybe once a year would do the trick. Devs could glance at their acquisition, abilities, animations, textures, etc. and make sure they are up to snuff with the state of the game and the size of the playerbase. I don't know that this would completely solve the squinting the Skyscale process currently produces, but it might help.

At least they did reduce it from the original(which I had to wait, since I was super super excited about this mount) but that said, I wouldn't object to them reducing it further. Trying to help some friends get it and I don't want the timegates to have the effect of:oh, well, I'll go play a different game now.

@Mazreal Blackknight.1564 said:Wait you are complaining about a few hours of timegate and want it taken away, and thought to blame it on older players who had to wait 24 hours between everything?

The part they're primarily complaining about (feeding) is still gated based on real-life days. Only the time between main collections was reduced to 2 hours.

I find time gating annoying just because it is disruptive to flow. Let me login in, go to the right place, and do that 5 minutes of stuff for skyscale collection. Let me now craft those items which can only be done once per day. And make sure I log in each day to do those time gated tasks.I'd much prefer to just set aside 30 minutes one day per week to deal with all that timegating. Let me craft 7 lumps of mithrilium/week, instead of 1/day. For skyscale, there could be a minimum time between steps (so if you have everything you need, you can give it to the skyscale hatching in one go, but it may then be 5 days or whatever before it progresses to the next step.I feel like Anet is trying to stretch content by putting in crap tasks that are not interesting to do, but just take time.

@MikeG.6389 said:Newer players have a much different experience with the game than old players. Early access to mounts being a major contributor. You have the option to get your first mount before finishing the core story, season 2, the first expansion and season 3. Old players didn't have that. Imagine all that content as a requirement before getting to expansion 2 story and the first mount. (That would be my preferred way to play, if I bought the game now.)

@"Toby.8105" said:My point exactly, they burned through it already.Don't have to apply the same stupid restrictions to newer players.

So, you feel you should be able to burn through it yourself, because you are a newer player and you deserve different rules for that?Um... no? And you do have a way to progress your collection: wait, like everyone else did.

I don't feel like burning through anything because I already finished it. It's an improvement meant for future players.Those 1 day wait times are simply no "game content".

And um.. no, new players shouldn't be going through such nonsense just because everyone else did.That's some messed up logic right there, way messed up.You should try washing your clothes by hand next to a river like everyone else did in the past, maybe you'll get my point afterwards :/

Anyway, I'm outta here for good. Peace out!

@Toby.8105 said:

@MikeG.6389 said:Newer players have a much different experience with the game than old players. Early access to mounts being a major contributor. You have the option to get your first mount before finishing the core story, season 2, the first expansion and season 3. Old players didn't have that. Imagine all that content as a requirement before getting to expansion 2 story and the first mount. (That would be my preferred way to play, if I bought the game now.)

@Toby.8105 said:My point exactly, they burned through it already.Don't have to apply the same stupid restrictions to newer players.

I don't feel like burning through anything because I already finished it. It's an improvement meant for future players.Those 1 day wait times are simply no "game content".

And um.. no, new players shouldn't be going through such nonsense just because everyone else did.That's some messed up logic right there, way messed up.You should try washing your clothes by hand next to a river
like everyone else did
in the past, maybe you'll get my point afterwards :/

Anyway, I'm outta here for good. Peace out!

How do you compare real life anything with in-game mechanics? New players do have it easier, that's my point that you missed. But I guess that's not enough.

@Shena Fu.5792 said:it's merely a one-time inconvenience. once you got the skyscale, you won't even remember why you got so annoyed about such a tiny inconvenience. the real time consuming part is grinding for all the various map currencies.

Nah. I still hate time gates. I still hate the ascended timegate. If i have the stuff to do whatever, let me do it.

• Like 1