In-Game Housing [Merged]

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think they'll add something like this anytime soon, even though I'd really like a feature like this. Something to give your characters a bit more of a personal touch. Because let's be honest the "Commander" has become a bit of a killing machine with nothing more in his life besides killing dragons and god's.. not that there's anything wrong with that but some players like a bit more RPG in their MMO. 

On the other hand it would be a nice way to make scribing a more useful profession and it could possibly be gem transaction cash cow.

So there is definitely potential, but I'm very skeptical we will ever see it actually implemented.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Siddius.3917 said:

On the other hand it would be a nice way to make scribing a more useful profession and it could possibly be gem transaction cash cow.

It's definitely a cash cow in SWTOR and they even have a sucky hook system and half their houses (Strongholds) are buildings with orange walls... and still it's a cash cow.

On 3/18/2020 at 5:41 PM, uberkingkong.8041 said:

The thing I like about housing is it adds more laid back, casual content. I feel like this game lacks that type of content, and that is crucial for MMORPG's.

This game has more than enough, grinding for money content. I feel game needs grinding for casual and laid back content like adding something to your house would be welcoming. Adding harvesting nodes is nice, but that just fuels the grind to money.

Also what would be super sweet is if I can place my other characters in the housing area. Maybe even do character swap via ingame rather than logging out. Also maybe being able to some side quests like Breath of Fire fairy village with my alternate characters.Example I know I wont be using 6 of my 8 characters so I have them go hunting for 24 hours. This is what I'm thinking about with that idea

Maybe it can be for guilds instead.

I'd like more strategizing content in a casual calm sense (I'm not super rich, but my place looks very nice), rather than a competitive got to make money and showoff (I have legendary and you don't) sense.

Gw2 is already probably the most casual and laid back MMO out there and with EoD, we get even more of casual time killers with fishing and skimmers, imo there's absolutely no need for even more stuff like that.

So a big big NO from me on housing, if I'd wanted to play "The Sims", I'd do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nash.2681 said:

if I'd wanted to play "The Sims", I'd do so.

Is this a new way of saying Ultima Online? You naysayers are hilarious, truly. Old hardcore games had housing, but your barbie dressing game that sells Sailor Moon based cosmetics cannot have that, otherwise it'll turn into The Sims.

Edited by Tchaikovsky.5382
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I'd love it. I'd also love more emotes, a game can thrive on this stuff but it needs a solid core to start.

Don't think it's going to happen to GW2.

For some reason GW2 seems really rough to animate. It's 90% recycled animations on the new skills with sprinkly fairy-dust on-top trying to mask it. I'd imagine we'd be getting more animations in the game, but that seems really low priority. It's probably just very difficult in this engine or something...

Oh wait this is on housing, yeah give me those too. As an added incentive for anet, digital furniture in the gemstore? c'mon aneeet, you know you wannaaaaaa~

Edited by TwiceDead.1963

17 minutes ago, Tchaikovsky.5382 said:

Is this a new way of saying Ultima Online? You naysayers are hilarious, truly. Old hardcore games had housing, but your barbie dressing game that sells Sailor Moon based cosmetics cannot have that, otherwise it'll turn into The Sims.

That's one housing system I absolutely wouldn't want in this game. It was actually a factor in me quitting UO. I got sick of any wilderness area with enough space between the trees getting turned into an endless suburban sprawl of irregularly placed houses, with the odd cluster of very carefully placed ones used to block off useful spawn points so only their residents (usually a guild) could reach them.

I liked the idea of having a house to decorate and I loved some of the creative things players did, making piles of cloth, rocks, planks etc. look like a piano or a hot tub or a dinosaur, but there was no way I was going to farm millions of gold for a placed house and I had even less chance of finding a space to place my own.

Maybe they've fixed it since then (I quit playing about 20 years ago) but it's one of many things about UO which probably seemed like a good idea in theory and had a lot of problems in practice.

If GW2 ever gets housing I'd like it to be instanced. Probably like guild halls and home instances (and Elder Scrolls Online's houses) where you can choose from several instances to be your home but multiple players can have the same ones and you have the option to visit other player's homes if you want to.

18 minutes ago, Tchaikovsky.5382 said:

No idea what UO has to do with it, but okey. And I also don't get why you're mixing up cosmetics that have 0 impact on the games core mechanics, the available content, etc. (and actually simply help to fund this p2p game) with the demand for even more new casual content in a game, that's already filled with content for casual leisure play to the roof.

13 minutes ago, Nash.2681 said:

No idea what UO has to do with it, but okey. And I also don't get why you're mixing up cosmetics that have 0 impact on the games core mechanics, the available content, etc. (and actually simply help to fund this p2p game) with the demand for even more new casual content in a game, that's already filled with content for casual leisure play to the roof.

If you're going to pretend The Sims is the only game that should have housing, try to at least remember what you say. So, is Ultima Online the inspiration for The Sims? Maybe, just maybe, the system is something to cater to roleplayers? You know, the rpg from mmorpg.

And here's something that you should make sense of: if the game is a casual game, you should create content FOR the casuals. Makes sense, no? It would also get them a bunch of money (to help fund the game, you say?),  just like the Sailor Moon cosmetics. I dare say it would get them MUCH more money. Just look at ESO.

47 minutes ago, Tchaikovsky.5382 said:

If you're going to pretend The Sims is the only game that should have housing, try to at least remember what you say. So, is Ultima Online the inspiration for The Sims? Maybe, just maybe, the system is something to cater to roleplayers? You know, the rpg from mmorpg.

And here's something that you should make sense of: if the game is a casual game, you should create content FOR the casuals. Makes sense, no? It would also get them a bunch of money (to help fund the game, you say?),  just like the Sailor Moon cosmetics. I dare say it would get them MUCH more money. Just look at ESO.

Well, at least take your time and actually read what others write and try to understand what they're saying instead of making assumptions and putting words in their mouth.

I never said that "The Sims" are the only game that should have housing. It's just an example of a game that totally caters to that kind of playstyle. Also I can't really see the rpg aspect of housing, sorry. I build my house, add furniture and decorations as I like and then? Yeah well, I could sit on a chair in front of a chimney and pretend I'm... whatever. If you consider that roleplaying, ok. To me, the main aspect of roleplaying involves interaction with other players.

And about the casual thing- you can see it quite the opposite way aswell. My premise on that is, that casual players alone won't support a big game like GW2 for a long time. They take breaks, often for months or even years and rarely are dedicated enough to really care about the game enough to keep it running. If it'd be shut down, they'd simply move on. So there's always a percentage of dedicated players required to keep the game running and since there's already so many content from the "totally relaxed, no real gameplay required" category, they really should focus on content that actually challenges players in some way (not talking about ultra hardcore raids or sth., just in case). Housing and fishing (and we already get the later...) definetly do not belong in that category imo.

But I guess this all boils down to that we both can agree that we hardly disagree with each other on that matter.

No, you were trying to make the idea look ridiculous and out of place. You're not the first to try that, considering people's ignorance and prejudice against The Sims is still prevalent within the gaming community (which consists of a toxic hellhole). Housing has been a part of MMORPGs and RPGs since forever, and if you weren't trying to make a bad faith comparison, you wouldn't be talking about The Sims.

And if you can't see the ROLEPLAYING aspect of it, it's okay, but a lot of people do, including me. I'd like to humanize my commander, because right now I feel like a murder hobo. Having a nice house and interacting with people there (rp sessions, interaction with other player in there, something you cannot visualize) would help me achieve something above a murder hobo. But that's me. There's a lot of reasons, you just need to ask around to understand why and how housing is good for the rp/rpg fans.

• Like 2

I would whale hard for housing, I am a sucker for building structures and getting my own little plot of land in Cantha to create a home would be like a dream come true ( Cantha is my favourite place in any video game ever) 

I really hope they add it or have any plans to add it, im sure most of the playerbase would love it and im 100% it would generate a kittenton of money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nash.2681 said:

But I guess this all boils down to that we both can agree that we hardly disagree with each other on that matter.

Understatement of the year, it's not just that you don't agree with us but that you can't understand(or refuse to admit) that there is a portion of players that would love this feature. 

Not judging though, it's just funny to see that you're so convinced of your own truth that you dismiss everyone who doesn't see it your way 

• Like 1

Greetings Travelers! 

I believe that GW2 has some of the best, if not the best, mounts in any MMORPG I've played thus far. Just shy of being able to raise them and watch them grow up to full mounts -- they have practical utility and enough differences between each of them where they add to our gameplay in a meaningful and creative way unlike mount implementation for most other MMOs.

I believe we should have something equally unique for GW2 but with respects to player housing. Now imagine the below:

A portable housing system that travels with you and can be deployed anywhere. Picture it like throwing up a very large elaborate tent that you can customize the layout inside and put up decorations, let your minis roam around, place your pets/mounts outside on a "leash" to stand guard, throw up a little cooking fire and craft unique recipe's only available to those home campfires, etc. 

This player housing system would be deployable in the open world and therefore, other players could see it and interact with it and you. The moment you're ready to continue on your journey, simply pack it back up and go along your way to your next adventure or create a resting spot for other weary travelers (camp fires can give off a positive boon). 

When you're ready to deploy your tent again, it would have all of the presets already saved so that you can pick up where you left off with the decorations!

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

I applaud the idea, but seeing tents all over the place might be a bit weird. We have enough out of place bling as it is. Surely a tent would be too small fir anything anyway? People already complain about the 5 item radius limitations in guild halls.

Im not for or against housing, but if it does ever come, it needs its own sep space away from open world. Or be client side viewable only

Edited by Randulf.7614

1 minute ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Im not for or against housing, but if it does ever come, it needs its own sep space away from open world. Or be client side viewable only

I don't feel like that keeps in the spirit of an open world centric game though. Player housing needs to be something physical in the open world and not locked away in an instance like ESO. 

Tents were just an idea but the real concept behind it is the concept of mobility in the player housing which I don't believe has been done before in an MMO. Considering that GW2 already sets the standard IMO for mounts, I don't see why player housing needs to follow the same cliche trope of other MMOS.

We can have mobile player housing that instead of a tent could deploy itself in the aesthetics of the "map" that the player is in to keep it thematically sound if that sounds better.

• Confused 1

I disagree. I think this goes against an open centric game because it will clutter too much, no matter how well blended in the attempt was. Players will find ways to make it look weird and out of place and as Cedo says, to troll people like they do now with novelties. Plus the map lag would be huge. The game already cant cope with minis on populated maps - housing and decorations would limit things massively

For player housing to work itll need to be instanced to prevent the limitations of open world affecting it

Dont get me wrong, its a cool sounding idea, i just cant see it working here 

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I disagree. I think this goes against an open centric game because it will clutter too much, no matter how well blended in the attempt was. Players will find ways to make it look weird and out of place and as Cedo says, to troll people like they do now with novelties. Plus the map lag would be huge. The game already cant cope with minis on populated maps - housing and decorations would limit things massively

For player housing to work itll need to be instanced

I do agree with this, yup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'd rather resources be spent on something that a larger portion of the playerbase would enjoy.

I feel like I've argued you before in the WoW forum with that exact response. Can you please show me the data where you see the "larger portion" of the playerbase is against player housing?

• Like 4
  • Confused 2