In-Game Housing [Merged]

@"Westenev.5289" said:Maybe if this game ever got an over-the-shoulder camera view, I might appreciate content like this. I don't really get a "homely" feel when my camera view makes me feel like a seagull with x-ray vision.

Building a house from scratch also sounds like a pain. As someone who is currently attempting this feat in a guildhall, If Anet were to copy the guildhall system, I'd rather they not bother. Tiles are too hard to align by hand with their weird collision, and players have no way of flying as they build to make level surfaces.

@"The Greyhawk.9107" said:
Hop8P3F.gif
Also, please avail yourself of the Search bar function, as this topic already has many a thread to post in.

None of which are recent and would count as necro'ing.

No, but the existing threads pretty much sum up the subject so a new thread with nothing more substantial to add to the discussion isn't really necessary.

Not really needed since the Commander's adventures take them all over Tyria.

They initially wanted Sun's Refuge to be the "player home instance" but now it looks like EotN is gonna be it, and it's gonna be a hub as well.If they want they can add a customizable instance area accessible in EotN as the Commander's "special room" where they can do their customizing I guess but I don't see myself using it for anything honestly.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Westenev.5289" said:Maybe if this game ever got an over-the-shoulder camera view, I might appreciate content like this. I don't really get a "homely" feel when my camera view makes me feel like a seagull with x-ray vision.

Building a house from scratch also sounds like a pain. As someone who is currently attempting this feat in a guildhall, If Anet were to copy the guildhall system, I'd rather they not bother. Tiles are too hard to align by hand with their weird collision, and players have no way of flying as they build to make level surfaces.

@"The Greyhawk.9107" said:
Hop8P3F.gif
Also, please avail yourself of the Search bar function, as this topic already has many a thread to post in.

None of which are recent and would count as necro'ing.

No, but the existing threads pretty much sum up the subject so a new thread with nothing more substantial to add to the discussion isn't really necessary.

It shows that some people still feel this is a topic worth exploring, even if it has been "discussed to death" by other people in the past. Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to just keep asking.

• Like 1

Thinking about housing again,EQNext, when they was still making it and it could have been a thing. One of the very first things they did was make player enviroment interaction (housing, but the catch is, anywhere housing, aka EQ Landmark).

One of the things I see lacking in new games that old games did well, was customization. Civ II map editor (Civ VI I dont think has it), Starcraft map editor (Starcraft II doesn't have it, custom map settings was a huge thing in Starcraft), Quake even had an editor (Quakeworld, its why team fortress is so big... Quake Champions does not have), even Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (Skyrim, I think they have now, but came too late). Even RPG's had customization type housing, like I mentioned earlier, Breath of Fire. RPG's are fun, but sometimes the side games makes it more fun and memorable, like for GW2 JPs are rememberable. Another memorable side game is Blitzball in Final Fantasy X, the faire housing in Breath of Fire.

Thinking about complexity, its already been done in Guild Halls, shouldn't be hard to implement elsewhere. Minecraft would be simpliest way I think (its 8-bits), and EQ Next was able to achieve it(I'd say this is complex way to do it, because it uses the modern 3D graphics), and that was around 5 years ago. It shouldn't be hard to do things some people mention in this thread.

Another point, in regards to player population, there maybe a lot of people who don't want housing, because all the people who do like housing are not playing this game, because there is no housing, and if you bring in housing, that's another reason why for them to come and play this game compared to others.

I bring up housing because Cantha is zone pretty much with a bunch of housing, and in my opinion if you do housing, I'd like it, but I'd like it more if it was open world housing, or maybe something similar to how EQ1 does housing, one giant zone with a bunch of player houses, allowing you to see exterior and interior. But more of a Morrowind style housing I'd like, where it can be built anywhere, but that'd ruin the storyline they have going on and have to come up with a lot of restricted areas to maintain the story (I think this is how EQNext was doing it).

@dodgerrule.8739 said:Honestly guild halls should have required defending the guild hall aswell so that it would feel like you’re actually claiming it.

Homes could be that way

Very possible, it's Cantha and its all about homes. Could be like GTA San Andres

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:No, extremely unlikely.And "everyone jumps in the river, so GW2 should, too" is hardly any argument.It doesn't add any gameplay value outside a niche group of roleplayers.Sorry, but i don't see it happen.

And this is how the top 3 MMORPGs have such a large playerbase, they are diverse in what they have.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:No, extremely unlikely.And "everyone jumps in the river, so GW2 should, too" is hardly any argument.It doesn't add any gameplay value outside a niche group of roleplayers.Sorry, but i don't see it happen.

And this is how the top 3 MMORPGs have such a large playerbase, they are diverse in what they have.And they have a subscription model that allows them more resources to diversify?

I never use my home instance. BUT if they allowed to put guild decorations in home instances, I think I would spend more time in mine. I enjoy making decorations but never really have a guild hall where I can personalize something for my own, and that's really just the key for me.

@Kiba.9743 said:I never use my home instance. BUT if they allowed to put guild decorations in home instances, I think I would spend more time in mine. I enjoy making decorations but never really have a guild hall where I can personalize something for my own, and that's really just the key for me.

Same, for me with guild hall, it feels like buying a place with furniture, kind of ruins of the creativity.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

@Kiba.9743 said:I never use my home instance. BUT if they allowed to put guild decorations in home instances, I think I would spend more time in mine. I enjoy making decorations but never really have a guild hall where I can personalize something for my own, and that's really just the key for me.

Same, for me with guild hall, it feels like buying a place with furniture, kind of ruins of the creativity.

I don't think a separate player housing is needed. But being able to personalize your home instance would be enough I think. At least for me. Then I would invest more money into getting home instance nodes and other home instance specific items. And I would certainly visit it on a regular basis.

@Sobx.1758 said:

@uberkingkong.8041 said:And this is how the top 3 MMORPGs have such a large playerbase, they are diverse in what they have.

Yes, top mmorpgs definitely rely on their housing system to draw players. :Dgw2 already has home instance. Why do we need more of the same?

customization part of it missing

other mmos, you buy place, its empty, no furniture, you gotta spiffy it upgw2 mmo, place is free, furniture, no spiffy up

Another one of those topics that cause the Don't focus on what they want focus what I want debate.Housing is a solid Idea that would make ANET a great deal of money. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come next expansion.

As for other ideas in this thread they are good to. People always seem to think if one thing is getting worked on the rest of the games development comes to a halt and that's really not the case.

I don't like it.But it would be EXTREMELY good, even though they're adding to it.Don't forget that GW2 is nicknamed Skin-wars for a reason.Why?

1. To improve all the crafting professions through recipes and new items and improve open world boss loots, raid, mission strike with items for special furniture crafting.All this would boost the crafting and traiding post if it's tradable.

2. Lot of players would invest some money to buy a plot of land, increase the size of the house or the number of rooms, furniture, compo, ...And add a lot of success stories, rewards, collections to improve it all so that people stay on the game as long as possible.

3. On the other hand it should not be in the personal area, you have to create something else in the FF14, ...(with several different zones, you have to have a limited number of plots of different sizes, other players have to be able to go and see your house or apartment.)

4. It could also boost the MCM, the guilds, if they set up that if you belong to such and such a server and that you earn on your server you can claim territories, cities, or whatever.To reduce the rent, to have access to special items, ...

5. And that would allow Anet to make income in gems. (considering the last semester it would not be too much)With house skins, fourniture skins, added functionality, ...

The housing system can benefit many types of players even if they don't lie/play housing.Depends on what they add next to it and how.

All this can be set up, they have experience with eye of the north , sun refuge, the personal instance area, guild halls.That would require additional server loads.

They could overhaul the system and there's many things they could add but with keeping the home instance template. TLDR: 1) The first obvious thing they could do as said above is allow players to pick there house from any door in the game OR one of 50+ doors from already standing buildings. They'd be instanced just like HI is now. But players could choose their style and location and have the option to furnish it themselves or gold dump a lil more and buy a furnished one like in ESO. (you can still move around the furnishings after you buy it) 2) could be entirely new maps just for housing (somone mentioned EoTn as a housing location?) I see many edges of maps that could be turned into vast housing areas (cap cities n such). While still instanced (or not) you could build the home from scratch(working with crafting professions possibly) foundation on up and have a bit of a yard outside your home like for a garden (Arch age) / Mount Maelstrom secret garden / HI garden would probs go there. 3) they need to add a version of the scribbing system to it. Revamping for the individual vs decorating as a guild .