Is it possible to DDOS someone?

I was in PvP for a few games with average of 300 ping.And in my 4th game, someone on my team said he was going to DDOS both sides.My ping spiked to 1000+ average when the match started and there was so much lag and I disconnected half way through.It seemed like his friend was on the other team and I thought he was trying to give them a free win without losing points himself if DDOS someone to disconnect them is possible.

Just coincidence or did he really DDOS?

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I was in PvP for a few games with average of 300 ping.And in my 4th game, someone on my team said he was going to DDOS both sides.My ping spiked to 1000+ average when the match started and there was so much lag and I disconnected half way through.It seemed like his friend was on the other team and I thought he was trying to give them a free win without losing points himself if DDOS someone to disconnect them is possible.

do you even have to ask? do you really think this game is secure? people hack government sites for fun, but gw2 somehow is more secure? if there is a will there is a way

i think its pretty difficcult to ddos someone personally in a match, cuz have to know the address of the guy. And i dont think its that easy just to randomly pick a target in a match without doing some background work on the victem, like tracking his real id, ip addresses, locations etc. We have seen it in pro league tho if i remember correctly frostball got ddos'd, but that was a setup attack, i believe it was because he used skype and skype uses peer-to-peer connections, which is vulnarable to expose your ip.

Yes, you can DDoS an individual, but you need to know their IP address, which is not obtainable in-game. This is typically only done to streamers with the IP address obtained through a third party. Skype direct chat was a popular method in the past to obtain an IP address, but required an aspect of social engineering.

Yes, you can DDoS a server, but it takes a lot more resources and will affect many more people than just your game.

What most likely happened is that there is a bug in the game which causes the match to crash or spend too much time processing certain logic, and that player knows how to trigger it.

Your 300ms ping seems like a problem on your end.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I was in PvP for a few games with average of 300 ping.And in my 4th game, someone on my team said he was going to DDOS both sides.My ping spiked to 1000+ average when the match started and there was so much lag and I disconnected half way through.It seemed like his friend was on the other team and I thought he was trying to give them a free win without losing points himself if DDOS someone to disconnect them is possible.

DDOS is a targeted attack(they need to know ips and shit, or have big big resources to attack directly anet), but maybe there are other methods(someone theorized about that in a post saying that can be done via corrupted packets that can cause ppl near to hacker to crash) to cause peopple to crash, to me hapened two times that fighting versus two diferent bots/hackers and after beating them my game crashed , but i can ensure 100% because my connection is shit and sometimes i get random crashes but those two were too beneficial for the hackers he gets the point( crashed the two times after downing and while stomping or finish by damage) and put our team in 4 vs 5 until i can exit the crashed game and reconnect(my connection is shit and that could be easily up to a minute)

Ever heard of Rayzen? :-)

@"Vancho.8750" said:I remember someone explained it years ago, that this is not a DDOS but a drop hack. Someone is sending large corrupted data your way and it starts lagging.Here is the link where it is explained.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/70781/ddos-attack-in-ranked-pvpPeople don’t realize that there are a handful of backbone providers in the states where a vast majority of your issues stem from.

@phokus.8934 said:

@"Vancho.8750" said:I remember someone explained it years ago, that this is not a DDOS but a drop hack. Someone is sending large corrupted data your way and it starts lagging.Here is the link where it is explained.
People don’t realize that there are a handful of backbone providers in the states where a vast majority of your issues stem from.

Sitting in EU with the best net ever man. I'm just point there are drop hacks.

Unless ANet's net code is atrocious, there's aren't drop hacks as described in that thread. The server should be catching bad data and then dropping the player sending it, rather than forwarding bad data to all clients.

What is more likely is that there is a bug or design flaw being abused which causes an instability in the game state, which spills over to the net code and is propagated to clients.

@Exedore.6320 said:Unless ANet's net code is atrocious, there's aren't drop hacks as described in that thread. The server should be catching bad data and then dropping the player sending it, rather than forwarding bad data to all clients.

What is more likely is that there is a bug or design flaw being abused which causes an instability in the game state, which spills over to the net code and is propagated to clients.This or the OP is just experiencing ANets new US servers, that seem to cause trouble to a lot of players.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@ArlAlt.1630 said:Everyone can get DDoSed if they have an internet connection. Welcome to the future, enjoy your stay.

the good thing is that nobody cares about us or this game deeply enough to hack/cheat, I have never seen a cheater in this game for a reason, nobody cares to do it.

a bunch of bots and teleport hacking says hello

Wasn't this happening regularly (not tooo often but every now and then) back then ages ago? I only came back June 2019 but I played a lot from release untikl end 2013. I remember this bug (or maybe my mind is playing trick on me and I'm mixing it up with another team) ... full disconnect of the whole team. We came back though. But it was annoying. I think some player even claimed he could disconnect others.

Nowadays after my return I did not see it happening even once though.

@Luthan.5236 said:Wasn't this happening regularly (not tooo often but every now and then) back then ages ago? I only came back June 2019 but I played a lot from release untikl end 2013. I remember this bug (or maybe my mind is playing trick on me and I'm mixing it up with another team) ... full disconnect of the whole team. We came back though. But it was annoying. I think some player even claimed he could disconnect others.

Nowadays after my return I did not see it happening even once though.

people care less so they hack less, simple, why would you hack if you can get plat 1 playing on autopilot with any meta broken build