Obsidian armor

I would love to see more Guild Wars 1 obsidian inspired armor sets. The Abyss Stalker outfit looks a lot like Ele obsidian armor. The Storm Bow skin has also came into the game, which is another Underworld/FoW inspired skin.

All of these skins had me thinking about how nice some of those old sets were, like Warrior and Ranger.

@"lokh.2695" said:Or how about something new that does not rely on GW1? I know, it's insane to want this game to be its own game instead of "GW1 Nostalgia, The Game"

We have hundreds of skins that are their own. 6 or 7 sets isn’t suddenly turning everything into GW1.

But go ahead and continue claiming that the hundreds of other skins aren’t enough.

@"lokh.2695" said:Or how about something new that does not rely on GW1? I know, it's insane to want this game to be its own game instead of "GW1 Nostalgia, The Game"

The only reason GW2 was developed was that ANet wanted to do many things they could not do with the GW1 engine. Therefore, it is only logical for people to regard GW2 as an enhanced and advanced GW1. It will never fully be "its own game".

@Drennon.7190 said:

We have hundreds of skins that are their own. 6 or 7 sets isn’t suddenly turning everything into GW1.

But go ahead and continue claiming that the hundreds of other skins aren’t enough.

It's not just armors or skins. And it's not ust your thread/request/suggestion either. It's everything from capes to Elona to Cantha to "we need henchmen" to "where's my landspear/scythe weapon type" to "GW1 was such great at X we need this in GW2" to "Ritualists/Dervishes/Assasins/Monks is a must in GW2"-threads to just about every second thread on the forums """""suggesting""""" that GW2 becomes GW1 again.I get it, it was a good game. I get it, many people liked it. But.This. Isn't. GW1. And if you want to play GW1, go ahead, the servers are still running and it even gets updates to this day.

@"lokh.2695" said:Or how about something new that does not rely on GW1? I know, it's insane to want this game to be its own game instead of "GW1 Nostalgia, The Game"Pray tell, if it's supposed to be "its own game," then why is it called Guild Wars? If it didn't make references to its predecessor then it would be wrong calling it that. I would argue that it actually is kind of insane to want separation from GW1. Sounds to me like you don't want something called Guild Wars; you'd rather have something else.Not quite sure why so many people on this board are so against anything to do with GW1 being in GW2. This game literally exists because of GW1.

@lokh.2695 said:

@lokh.2695 said:Or how about something new that does not rely on GW1? I know, it's insane to want this game to be its own game instead of "GW1 Nostalgia, The Game"

It's not just armors or skins. And it's not ust your thread/request/suggestion either. It's everything from capes to Elona to Cantha to "we need henchmen" to "where's my landspear/scythe weapon type" to "GW1 was such great at X we need this in GW2" to "Ritualists/Dervishes/Assasins/Monks is a must in GW2"-threads to just about every second thread on the forums """""suggesting""""" that GW2 becomes GW1 again.I get it, it was a good game. I get it, many people liked it. But.This. Isn't. GW1. And if you want to play GW1, go ahead, the servers are still running and it even gets updates to this day.

Guild wars 1 made what guild wars 2 is today. Many vets like myself have been around since the start of Guild wars 1 & continue giving money via gems over the years, feedback , keeping the game alive. Guild wars 2 is basically guild wars 2.0.

• Like 1

@"Voltekka.2375" said:Obsidian skins should have been the legendary wvw/pvp armor skins. Much like the obsidian weapons are only obtainable in wvw and pvp. One can only hope.

Obsidian armor skins could probably be introduced as legendary armor with a skin for PvP/WvW as a throwback to the prestige of it. I remember making it (since I ran FoW daily and regularly brought people through UW to get spiders with heroes) but then never wearing it instead of "15K" armor.

The limitation now for legendary armor in WvW is 1095 skirmish tickets and in PvP it is the 50 PvP league tickets (and to a lesser extent 400 ascended shard of glory).

If it would unlock a recipe provided you had legendary upgraded the normal skinned version then it would have more accessibility than the mistforged versions which require the base unlock and ranking. For example, if you have normal skinned but legendary triumphant/glorious (non mistforged) then there can be an anthology of heroes based recipe to trade it in or at the vendors. I can't imagine dev resources being put to another <5% possible user demographic (and that is as someone who has mistforged from both modes).

The other alternative is for it to be less time-based currency but a larger money sink for PvP/WvW legendary armor so that there's an optional route similar to the runic armor rewards for strike missions. For example if you have mistforged ascended non-legendary, it could require 1 gift of the mists (i.e. gift of battle + gift of war) + Gift of War Prosperity/Gift of Competitive Prosperity (economy material sinks) + Gift of Conquering (4 gift of battle + legendary spike + 250 memory of battle ) /Gift of Skirmishing (25 PvP tickets + 4 mist core fragments) to upgrade. Whereas the non-mistforged version upgrade would require more material resources (mystic tribute, curios or otherwise) reflecting PvE-first players that only dabble in competitive modes casually.

Elite Woven Armor for monks was brought back as an outfit and so were a few other sets so I doubt it will happen though.

If the expansion does go to Cantha I think the very popular sets ought to be revived in some fashion.

@aspirine.6852 said:

@"Tirana Masele.3061" said:I'd love to see the female ele obsidian armor in GW2. That was my favorite.

Yep, it was pretty much the armour to get. And I dont even really liked Ele in GW1.

I preferred the normal Luxon armour, mixed with Istani shoes and "gloves" for my Elementalist.

I find opinions like this often come from people who have no connection to the first game at all. Who else would feel threatened by GW fans enjoying some franchise nostalgia?

@Tirana Masele.3061 said:I'd love to see the female ele obsidian armor in GW2. That was my favorite.

It would be great to have a content release where we get Fissure of Woe and The Underworld as raids or some kind of strike. I'd really like to see a sink for Obsidian shards since I don't really care for most legendary weapons. Obsidian armor should be available in a way similar to the Runic set, but it costs ecto and obby shard just like in GW.

@lokh.2695 said:

@lokh.2695 said:Or how about something new that does not rely on GW1? I know, it's insane to want this game to be its own game instead of "GW1 Nostalgia, The Game"

Haters gonna hate, I guess...

GW2 already is distinctively different from GW1 due to its own story and gameplay mechanics.Plus 4 new classes and 4 new playable races. Tyria in GW2 compared to GW1 is completely transformed and feels totally different.A few skins or whatever won't change that. Neither did the heart of Maguuma or Elona and neither will Cantha.

Also the idea of how Elona and Cantha somehow are exclusive locations to GW1 makes zero sense. Believe it or not, but GW2 plays in the same universe as GW1. We still get to see and visit new maps and places every now and then. And I'm quite sure we'll see a totally new place, maybe even a continent one day.

The same goes for the capes. They are not inherent to GW1 and won't simply turn GW2 into its predecessor.Capes are just that: Capes.Are you not wearing them just so you can rebel against GW1 or what? XD

@Clyan.1593 said:

GW2 already is distinctively different from GW1 due to its own story and gameplay mechanics.Plus 4 new classes and 4 new playable races. Tyria in GW2 compared to GW1 is completely transformed and feels totally different.A few skins or whatever won't change that. Neither did the heart of Maguuma or Elona and neither will Cantha.

Also the idea of how Elona and Cantha somehow are exclusive locations to GW1 makes zero sense. Believe it or not, but GW2 plays in the same universe as GW1. We still get to see and visit new maps and places every now and then. And I'm quite sure we'll see a totally new place, maybe even a continent one day.

The same goes for the capes. They are not inherent to GW1 and won't simply turn GW2 into its predecessor.Capes are just that: Capes.Are you not wearing them just so you can rebel against GW1 or what? XD

TBH, while id like to see alot of the weapon and armor skins and the two missing weapon types be added to this game, i do agree in that we keep visiting old locations, that have changed slightly, HOT was a nice change to that, but with LWs3, 4 POF and now 5 we keep seeing old locations over and over. Now we are going to Cantha. Can we go somewhere completely new? Theres a huge map of Tyria with lands we havent explored. Lets go to those areas.

@Dante.1763 said:

TBH, while id like to see alot of the weapon and armor skins and the two missing weapon types be added to this game, i do agree in that we keep visiting old locations, that have changed slightly, HOT was a nice change to that, but with LWs3, 4 POF and now 5 we keep seeing old locations over and over. Now we are going to Cantha. Can we go somewhere completely new? Theres a huge map of Tyria with lands we havent explored. Lets go to those areas.

Doesn't the upcoming patch include a new map in a location we have never been before?Also let's not forget the fact that these so called old locations have almost no ressemblence to the maps in GW1. Like Bjora Marches for example looks completely different. But, sure, I'd love to see new places too.I just think that this mentality of "old locations = GW1 = bad" is kinda ridiculous and pure nonsense.

Back on topic, I also would love to see all ten obsidian armors transplanted into GW2, and preferably as armors rather than outfits but I am willing to settle for the latter if I absolutely must. What I don't want is for them to be a spvp or wvw exclusive reward, I'm a filthy casual PvEer.

I played GW1 pre-expansions, and then all of the expansions, and GW2 on and off since release. At release, GW2 was already a hell of a nostalgia trip and that was jumping straight into it from GW1 "OH, this place is a little different!" "OH, around about here is where those Stone Summit squashed me." etc etc. Being that they are set in mostly exactly the same locations, can't exactly help them being nostalgic.

As for armours, while there is already hundreds of desirable options in-game, there's something to be said for the stylistic differences between GW1 and 2 armours. Perfectly understand why many preferred the styles available in GW1, many of them were striking and definitely showed a level of achievement in having them, but lore-wise time has passed which makes the differences make sense. Also lore-wise, much of the fight against the dragons is a trek throughout history to learn about them, naturally bringing up all of these places, people, mystical weapons and armours. Perfectly reasonable to bring back some of the favourites this way... with some improvements perhaps.

Personally, I'm also a filthy casual PvEer and a little fed-up with a lot of things being trapped behind walls of play I just don't even want to climb - I occasionally WvW or PvP only as a means to certain things I wouldn't be able to get otherwise, but it's not the gameplay for me (won't start on jumping puzzles for collections and my increasing arthritis). Perhaps don't lock these items out as hardcore as many legendaries or some of the nicer-looking armour/weapons, but also not as easy as some of the recent collections either. I'm all for a well-told treasure hunt and the satisfaction of finally getting those last few bits of materials I needed to craft an object, it's what keeps me playing.

• 2 months later...

I'll throw my hat in the ring for the Obsidian armor, especially the Ranger. I think it would be better as individual pieces as recipes, but I'd definitely settle for the full skin that would be customizable with dyes. I also disagree that they would be legendary.Another request would be the ability to dye Ascended or Legendary weapons.Thanks!!

@The Real Slim Shady.6581 said:I miss the style of the 15k sets from GW1, especially the Warrior and Ranger sets. I'd love to see those as skins sometime.

I miss the Kurzick Elite Monk armour, too.Or the Vabbi armours for Warriors and Derwishs.For my Elementalist, I preferred the regular Luxon armour over the elite though.

If Arenanet would bring them back, I hope they'll only become high-resolution version, without unnecessary additional decoration that might possibly ruin.And they should be armours, not Outfits.