Account & Character Rollback Issue (5/11/2020) - ANet Response

@Thormano.7806 said:@kharmin.7683 so what you are saying is you don't think it matters and it will be all right on the night? Plus, in your opinion, a backup server costs? I'd like to knowThat is a mis-characterization. Where have I said that I don't think it matters?

I don't know how much Anet spends in servers (or server space since it's in AWS), but this proposal would literally double their investment. It's not just about servers, either. It's about connecting them and having the software (that they would have to buy) in place to make them truly mirrored. Then, they would need to double their networking capacity (more money!) to accommodate the additional traffic as the servers would have to be 100% in sync.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the late response never happened. in game there was no warning so unless people come here to the foruns, they could play until it went down.I know there are lots of chat people talking but there are also lots of dead maps, missions, in game houses and guilds where people could not see what happened. I lost 2h but some people could easily lost 6 or 7 until the servers shut down because there wasn t one single warning in game.

Most people here don t mind because obviously the frequent the foruns. Anyone that doesn t use, has no warning and much less voice if they decide to rollback!

@Akari Kage.1403 said:I am not saying they are more important, and also the 3 days are not more important than my 2 hours. They should have exactly the same importance. What I am complaining is the lack of in game information. And if there is no in game information then rolling back shouldn't t happen.If rollback happens and they warn players beforehand no one should complain. If there isn't a warning, then it shouldn't happen and another form of compensation should be used instead of choosing some players over others.

1. Yes, they had to send ingame mails to everyone. Or make a server-wide notification. So simple, yet they didnt. And it is very NOT user-friendly.
  2. Pfff. No, your 2 hours are definitely NOT equally important to thousands of people days. And tons of lost valuable stuff and progress. Not even close. Try to handle your ego

@Akari Kage.1403 said:It not about what people lose, because rollback or not people will already lose, either be it 2 days or 1 almost. But since they decided not to warn people in game, they assume the rollback won t happen, or else their image, trust and communication will take an hit.

Given that the rollback happened without warning and resulted in the loss of 3 days worth of progress, it's already taken quite a hit. I'm under the impression the slow responses was because the EU team had to wait for the Seattle team to wake up to get a better understanding of what the heck happened, though if I'm wrong then fair enough.

Still find that you were the exception in regards to finding out there was an issue and yeah, while it sucks for you, it sucks for everyone who played over the weekend even more. Unfortunately it sounds like a rollback has to happen anyways given the TP issues that were happening, regardless of it being to fix the initial rollback or not.

Most people here don t mind because obviously the frequent the foruns. Anyone that doesn t use, has no warning and much less voice if they decide to rollback!Not an in game notice until the server shut down. I agree with rolling back if an in game warning was issue before. The moment it didn t its best to not rollback. Its not about mine or anyone progress.Its about what it is right!

@Akari Kage.1403 said:the late response never happened. in game there was no warning so unless people come here to the foruns, they could play until it went down.I know there are lots of chat people talking but there are also lots of dead maps, missions, in game houses and guilds where people could not see what happened. I lost 2h but some people could easily lost 6 or 7 until the servers shut down because there wasn t one single warning in game.

Most people here don t mind because obviously the frequent the foruns. Anyone that doesn t use, has no warning and much less voice if they decide to rollback!

While your complaint about the lack of communication is absolutely legitimate, your proposed solution and reasoning is nonsense and selfish. A rollback is almost certainly necessary to restore the servers and untangle the mess the TP is/has been making.

You have made over 40 posts now making your point, which are the only posts ever made in the forums by you. We get it, you are upset. Stop spamming though, otherwise it's pretty safe to assume that you are just trolling.

@Akari Kage.1403 said:I advice everyone to ticket to prevent rollback and make the problem worst than it actually is.

Stop promoting your insane point of view. What you are suggesting will hurt players more than a few hours of game progress loss. And you know it.

I advice everyone to keep reporting your nonsense instead. You are deliberately trying to get player accounts into deep trouble, 2-3 days of progress loss vs a few hours of progress loss. :s

@Akari Kage.1403 said:If there are more people not using foruns then there maybe people that played for the rest of the day till the lockdown 1h ago.Because no in game notice happen! The the only solution is don t rollback unfortunately or take damage on their image, trust and communication.What do you think will damage their image more? A few petulant people (one so far I know of) who somehow managed to remain ignorant of the situation for hours, or a great many people who lost the results of multiple days of playing? I know where I'll put my money.

After this morning disconnect I personally stood in Malchor's Leap informing people about the rollback.Just to let those unaware forum avoiders save their time and not play the game in a broken state.Dont know about other maps. But I think, the news about issue have spread over Tyria.One who continued to play must be ignorant of map chat, I assume.Anet truly messed up not making ingame notifications. But good chances are if you read the chat, you know about the problem and stop playing

@Thormano.7806 said:kharmin.7683 so basically you don't know and it is all what you think it might be? You are not supplying hard numbers here to back up your case

Yes, I am not an expert in data centers or what exactly Arenanet has invested with AWS. Without those figures, everyone would be speculating.

I do have over 20 years of experience in IT and networking, but hey, what would I know? I certainly believe that I have a better business sense about this than you might.

That's fine. You can keep believing what you want.

@kharmin.7683 said:Because I come to the forum to read content and engage in discussions that are relevant to the game. Having 9 different threads on the same topic makes that more difficult. But whatever. On this, you and I will never agree.

Have a nice day.

Actually, looking at the front page of the forum right now, I definitely see your point.