Things are quiet...too quiet

@Etria.3642 said:

@Tukaram.8256 said:Yeah, the New Post page is almost all WvW and PvP. Not sure where everyone else is. Maybe they are all playing?

Yea and both pvp and wvw are the same handful of posters lol. Also I think the gw2 reddit page numbers are off, says 2k community and 5 online yet u go to ff14 and its 364k community and 5k online, no way gw2 numbers are that low, population isn't booming but no way thats right lol.

That's because of three reasons: there is a lot more to complain about with FFXIV, FF has more versions, and they have a gear treadmill so you have all the changing best in slot discussions.

Here, moving the LW stuff has definitely made this look less populated.

Again what? Lmao u read the forums and reddit it's way way more posit than gw2 lmao u white knights are seriously delusional holly cow, I love gw2 but man u guys haha

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Etria.3642 said:

@Tukaram.8256 said:Yeah, the New Post page is almost all WvW and PvP. Not sure where everyone else is. Maybe they are all playing?

Yea and both pvp and wvw are the same handful of posters lol. Also I think the gw2 reddit page numbers are off, says 2k community and 5 online yet u go to ff14 and its 364k community and 5k online, no way gw2 numbers are that low, population isn't booming but no way thats right lol.

That's because of three reasons: there is a lot more to complain about with FFXIV, FF has more versions, and they have a gear treadmill so you have all the changing best in slot discussions.

Oh, also, FFXIV doesn't have a player idleout. I can go to bed while staying online running a macro to try and buy one of the two plots of land that have appeared this week (and still not get it). So how many players are actually on AND PLAYING isn't actually tracked.

Ff14 reddit and forums are so full of positive feedback and appreciation for the game it's on a completely different level. Every third post is exactly like OP post stating they love the game, every gay 5 new reddit posts regarding new players loving the game and their experience with it and the community with basically zero negative post but all positive post following. Gw2 gets a post like op's showing appreciation how often? And usually 50/50 positive to negative on the gw2 appreciation posts lol.Man u guys live on some planet lol.

@Etria.3642 said:

Oh, also, FFXIV doesn't have a player idleout. I can go to bed while staying online running a macro to try and buy one of the two plots of land that have appeared this week (and still not get it). So how many players are actually on AND PLAYING isn't actually tracked.

Yeah that's it lol

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"Tukaram.8256" said:Yeah, the New Post page is almost all WvW and PvP. Not sure where everyone else is. Maybe they are all playing?

Again what? Lmao u read the forums and reddit it's way way more posit than gw2 lmao u white knights are seriously delusional holly cow, I love gw2 but man u guys haha

I guess it's because SO MUCH about FFXIV rubs me the wrong way. AND it really bugs me that I'm paying them for it. My friends bought me the game so I am playing it but they are starting to get tired of my "but this is better in guild wars" complaints. Anyway this is getting off track.

No gear treadmill means most discussions have already been had. Until a new balance patch anyway.

Not gonna argue with delusion, the huge population disparity between the two speaks volumes of the quality diference between the two games even when one costs involve a monthly sub lol.Like I said I actually love gw2 as well, 7 yrs player but I see it for what it is- a great casual budget mmo.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Not gonna argue with delusion, the huge population disparity between the two speaks volumes of the quality diference between the two games even when one costs involve a monthly sub lol.Like I said I actually love gw2 as well, 7 yrs player but I see it for what it is- a great casual budget mmo.

Oh but it’s not only about quality. It is also about the fact that FF14 has a very traditional system, thus less risk in terms development (correct me if I am wrong, they don’t develop tangled depths or dragon stand meta event nor they don’t primarily rely on spawning events across all their map nor they develop mounts with actual physics). It is also a franchise with multiple installments through multiple plateforms that started way before the franchise of guild wars.

And yet with all this legacy of a famous franchise and their desire to develop a very straight forward MMO they still managed to do bad at launch, just like TESO.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

There was maybe a bug when you saw the reddit numbers because those numbers are indeed very low (are you sure you were looking gw2 main reddit?).At this point in time:WOW: 6.3k onlineFF14: 4.8k onlineESO: 1.9k onlineGW2: 1.3k online

GW2 with some other popular mmorpgs on reddit

That looks better lol, knew it couldn't be right.

Today the results are more interesting! Mid-night NA, morning EU, just like the post yesterday.

WOW: 7.7k onlineFF14: 5.5k onlineESO: 2.3k onlineGW2: 1.6k online

I will check again during EU prime time, that will have some very interesting information. I wonder if reddit numbers will confirm that Guild Wars 2 is more popular in EU than NA. We'll know in a few hours!

edit: will FF14 ovetake WOW? WOW!

@trixantea.1230 said:There are still many people who are playing the game and I don't think that the ingame playerbase is affected as it is in the forums.

IMO, What happens here is that players started to lose hope for any signifiant improvements and bug fixes due to the lack of communication from Anet after the 2019 layoffs.

On the other hands , I think that Anet managed to make classes more balanced than before. This is why we don't see so many complains about class X being completely broken or useless.Those are just immediately moved to the profession subforums. Even if they are about game balance in general.

About the numbers from other MMOs being higher: They have more stuff you can do ingame, outside of the general PvE/PvP.

Especially FFXIV, with housing, fishing, the „newly“ added ocean fishing. Those casual life systems keep people in the game and make them able to show off stuff on social media. Just look at the latest FFXIV patchnotes and check out how long the housing section is.

Meanwhile the only thing you can show off in GW2 are your character design, your newly crafted legendary or some speedclears. Sometimes you get a decorated Guild Hall post on reddit.

GW2 has always been lacking in the player-created content department. Even a game like PoE which is heavily gameplay focused has player creation content like hideouts. Even better, the next league is a Farming simulator league, the forums/ subreddit will be filled with posts about how to optimize the garden or just sharing how it looks.

The only thing GW2 has like that are Guild Halls and decorations, but those aren‘t personal enough, require a guild and a vast amount of currency if you want to use most decorations. It is not accessible to most players, so it tends to get ignored.

There is just nothing to post about, aside from how much you enjoyed certain content/lore discussions/balance.

@Raknar.4735 said:

The only thing GW2 has like that are Guild Halls and decorations, but those aren‘t personal enough, require a guild and a vast amount of currency if you want to use most decorations. It is not accessible to most players, so it tends to get ignored.

How accessible do you believe housing would be if Anet decided to implement it? Do you not believe that it, too, would require a vast amount of currency? Or do you believe that houses and decorations would be obtained through the gem shop?

@maddoctor.2738 said:

There was maybe a bug when you saw the reddit numbers because those numbers are indeed very low (are you sure you were looking gw2 main reddit?).At this point in time:WOW: 6.3k onlineFF14: 4.8k onlineESO: 1.9k onlineGW2: 1.3k online

GW2 with some other popular mmorpgs on reddit

That looks better lol, knew it couldn't be right.

Today the results are more interesting! Mid-night NA, morning EU, just like the post yesterday.

WOW: 7.7k onlineFF14: 5.5k onlineESO: 2.3k onlineGW2: 1.6k online

I will check again during EU prime time, that will have some very interesting information. I wonder if reddit numbers will confirm that Guild Wars 2 is more popular in EU than NA. We'll know in a few hours!

edit: will FF14 ovetake WOW? WOW!

Although ff14 seems to be the mmo most wow refugees moved to I doubt itl reach higher numbers then the wow monster lol it might though but take few more yrs for sure. I wonder about the NA and EU as well, most comparisons I hear are about the pvp side of things being EU being a more hardcore scene but I think there's a lot of passionate patrons on both sides but wouldn't be surprised if EU was bit more higher numbers.

@Raknar.4735 said:About the numbers from other MMOs being higher: They have more stuff you can do ingame, outside of the general PvE/PvP.

Especially FFXIV, with housing, fishing, the „newly“ added ocean fishing. Those casual life systems keep people in the game and make them able to show off stuff on social media. Just look at the latest FFXIV patchnotes and check out how long the housing section is.

Meanwhile the only thing you can show off in GW2 are your character design, your newly crafted legendary or some speedclears. Sometimes you get a decorated Guild Hall post on reddit.

GW2 has always been lacking in the player-created content department. Even a game like PoE which is heavily gameplay focused has player creation content like hideouts. Even better, the next league is a Farming simulator league, the forums/ subreddit will be filled with posts about how to optimize the garden or just sharing how it looks.

There is just nothing to post about, aside from how much you enjoyed certain content/lore discussions/balance.

That's definitely true, I mentioned in another thread regarding rpls trolling pve'rs and stated I was very surprised of all the deep mmos some rpg's chose gw2 to rp in considering how shallow gw2 is for rp'ing.Ff14 people form orchestra's and out on concerts, set up fishing competitions or charter boats to go on fishing trips with groups tmand have a chance at getting some bis gear while doing so, housing and decorating is so vast in it as well. Gw2 seemed like a odd choice for such players as rp's

@kharmin.7683 said:

How accessible do you believe housing would be if Anet decided to implement it? Do you not believe that it, too, would require a vast amount of currency? Or do you believe that houses and decorations would be obtained through the gem shop?

I don‘t know, best we can do is guess.It could be like mount skins, strictly gemshop, but they‘d still need to add basic decorations like we have basic mounts to get players interested.A system that is purely Gemshop wouldn‘t work.

They could implement it similiar to current decorations, with prices that are designed for one player, instead of a whole guild. With drops like there currently already are from worldbosses etc., and new decorations that could be added to the scribe, just for housing instead of GHs. They could even double dip by making those decorations also available for GHs.

My preferred method would be to add a new currency, like in PoE, which you get by normally playing the game. Most decorations there are attainable that way, with only some premium ones being in the store. The rarest hideout tilesets (how the hideout looks, jungle area, graveyard etc.) are attainable as a rare spawn from maps (the PoE endgame). So Anet could add something similiar you can get with a rare chance from story, OW, SMs, Fractals, WvW etc., while still selling unique „Housing zones“.

But this would only be a housing system, there needs to be more stuff to do in general.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:About the numbers from other MMOs being higher: They have more stuff you can do ingame, outside of the general PvE/PvP.

That's definitely true, I mentioned in another thread regarding rpls trolling pve'rs and stated I was very surprised of all the deep mmos some rpg's chose gw2 to rp in considering how shallow gw2 is for rp'ing.Ff14 people form orchestra's and out on concerts, set up fishing competitions or charter boats to go on fishing trips with groups tmand have a chance at getting some bis gear while doing so, housing and decorating is so vast in it as well. Gw2 seemed like a odd choice for such players as rp's

Oh yeah, I guess my first post is wrong when I said we only have GHs and decorations.GW2 does also have player instruments, and guilds like CMAJ have created communities around that player created content!

But you're right in terms of RP. I don't RP, but there's a lack of RP suitable interactions. Doesn't stop Rpers, though, they try their best with what's there ;)They are amazing in a way, they can create their own content without Anet doing much, just letting their fantasy run wild.That's why I'm happy that Anet has added the sitting feature (which is also used in story to trigger events!), and has been continously adding new emotes.

Content that can be used by the community in various ways is just great to have. We could have so much more aside from some concerts and fashion tournaments that already exist here and there!

When comparing MMO numbers and specifically Forum/Reddit discussion numbers...

Keep in mind that FFXIV uses a 3 monthly content release schedule (Delayed due to lockdown) and incentivises subbing for 1 month then cancelling for 2 months because of how short all of its content is (And how worthless its gear is and how quickly you can obtain it. Heck upon the release of a new raid tier, you can instantly craft gear that is better than what drops in Normal Raids and will reach the minimum item level requirements to go through the entirety of the latest Savage Raid tier - Hence so many day 1 Savage Raid clears)

As such, players have much more time to spend being idle cities while posting on forums about their new outfit or wierd RP sessions...

Also, WoW likes to do as little as possible, so you can often get content droughts that last 6-9+ months because lelyouallboughtthe12monthgametime"Deal"anyway.

So players have plenty of time to talk about the game more so than actually playing it.

GW2 has a lot more things to actually do, especially ones that are actually fun (As opposed to doing Beast Tribe/Rep dailies or running the same trash hallway simulators using the Duty Finder/LFD tools in order to get your daily bonus reward ad infinitum)

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:That's definitely true, I mentioned in another thread regarding rpls trolling pve'rs and stated I was very surprised of all the deep mmos some rpg's chose gw2 to rp in considering how shallow gw2 is for rp'ing.

Guild Wars has races unseen in any other game and stays away from the generic tolkien fantasy of orcs, elves and goblins. Also doesn't have promiscuous looking cat and bunny girls all over the place. I know ERP is big in FF, but if you just want normal RP Guild Wars world offers a lot of really nice environments and lore for that.