New Accounts and Mount Availability Solution - [Merged]

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Rewards (Dragon Coffers) aren't based on individual success with Holograms. It's based on how the event, in total, is successful.

One Dragon Coffer per successfull Tier, plus Daily one Dragon Coffer bonus per successful Tier (up to 10 max-tier completions).

Maybe, but player has to succefully be part of tiers? If they aren't they reward is redused. Meaning if you miss tier because you did not get in time , you lose rewards. Reason to miss , because you are alot slower than others.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:And yet, players played in HoT maps for 2 years without Mounts.

That was when you know you dont have mounts. Once you see them you cant stop XD

Oh? My paid, Core-only account has no Mounts. Just got my 5th Birthday gift.

I am saying we can't stop thinking about mounts when we see them all the time

@Opopanax.1803 said:Hey All-I bought a second account recently and it made me think about the sequence that new players must go through to get mounts.Not sure if anyone else has any other thoughts, but I think this would help integrate new players.

I remember starting WoW long ago coveting a mount. No one complained, we just did what was necessary.

Another option would be to have two types of Core Tyria maps. For each core zone, there would be "beginner" maps that are ONLY for accounts that do not have a level 80 character yet. So beginners would be able to play GW2 the way many of us originally did and they will never see mounts or gliders. So they won't really know what they are missing until they get a character to level 80.

There could be a checkbox on the setup page to "use beginner zones for accounts with no level 80 characters". If a player really wants to mix in with everyone else, then they could uncheck that box and then they will drop into the regular zones with everyone else. But they would have to make a conscious decision to skip over the beginner experience.

I am an old player. Been around since beta. This has nothing to do with entitlement so please stop using that weak argument. Anet offers a free to play game here. If you want mounts buy the expansions at the current dirt cheap prices they are at and stop asking them to develop something for players that aren't yet financially involved in the game. They are your hosts in this fantasy world of Tyria and you keep demanding more free stuff from them. It's rude and you really should stop. There are some good suggestions above about how a free mount could work but I am not interested in development being focused on a part of the game that generates little to no revenue.

@kharmin.7683 said:

A possible solution: make a mount like raptor available from outposts like a rental npc (such as in Dragonfall's skyscale rentals); or incorporate this into any vendor for only a copper or two. This wouldnt be a perfect solution, but it would at least make up some of the difference for not having completed the POF story.

Players would not need to do PoF. They would just use the rental mount.

There are no rental mounts now, that is the point.

Right. So, Anet implements rental mounts and new players do not purchase PoF because they have a mount that they can use for a few coppers. Where is the incentive for Anet to do this?
  1. you lose the mount the moment you're attacked or attack
  2. it would be the basic mount so nothing upgraded
  3. it would be the mount without custom skin
  4. you will lose currency
  5. you need to walk all the way back to get a mount back

so the question is more, even with the disadvantages, why not?

@sorudo.9054 said:

A possible solution: make a mount like raptor available from outposts like a rental npc (such as in Dragonfall's skyscale rentals); or incorporate this into any vendor for only a copper or two. This wouldnt be a perfect solution, but it would at least make up some of the difference for not having completed the POF story.

Players would not need to do PoF. They would just use the rental mount.

There are no rental mounts now, that is the point.

Right. So, Anet implements rental mounts and new players do not purchase PoF because they have a mount that they can use for a few coppers. Where is the incentive for Anet to do this?
  1. you lose the mount the moment you're attacked or attack
  2. it would be the basic mount so nothing upgraded
  3. it would be the mount without custom skin
  4. you will lose currency
  5. you need to walk all the way back to get a mount back

so the question is more, even with the disadvantages, why not?

It’d be as simple as taking the WP back to the rental NPC. It’s an expansion feature so it should remain locked behind the expansion. If they want access to mounts then they can purchase the expansion like everyone else. This is how things work.

I think putting rental mounts on the beginner maps ONLY would be a great way to make them want to rank up with a purchase and get their own.It would not discourage anyone from buying the expansions, if the rental mount worked only on THAT map and disappeared as soon as you left the map.It would help beginners get to events in time. (Though sometimes that's hard even with a mount!)

@keenedge.9675 said:

@Opopanax.1803 said:Hey All-I bought a second account recently and it made me think about the sequence that new players must go through to get mounts.Not sure if anyone else has any other thoughts, but I think this would help integrate new players.

I remember starting WoW long ago coveting a mount. No one complained, we just did what was necessary.

The bulk of players all got mounts on PoF release.

The issue now is new players, specificially ones that havent played the game before and that have a lot of leveling ahead of them. IF THEY BUY POF, I think it would be better to get them a mount early on so they can participate and keep up with all of the Alts running around in maps.

I still havent heard a reason against doing this, only against F2P not getting mounts WITH WHICH I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY!

@Friday.7864 said:You can get a mount in 15-20 minutes after you buy the expansion (as it comes with a lvl 80 boost) so I don't see the issue here.When and if you get one or whether you want to use the boost is up to you.

It would be a poor idea for a player new to the game to use a booster and attempt to figure out the POF instance to get the raptor as their first foray.

IT is crazy out of order for story and has loads of spoilers.

To have to go through that to keep up with dynamic events in low level maps is insane, both for getting to events and how much damage mount attacks do at low level.

@Opopanax.1803 said:

@Friday.7864 said:You can get a mount in 15-20 minutes after you buy the expansion (as it comes with a lvl 80 boost) so I don't see the issue here.When and if you get one or whether you want to use the boost is up to you.

It would be a poor idea for a player new to the game to use a booster and attempt to figure out the POF instance to get the raptor as their first foray.

To have to go through that to keep up with dynamic events in low level maps is insane, both for getting to events and how much damage mount attacks do at low level.

They don’t have to pay attention to the dialogue/story or even finish the instance.

Also, new players are less likely to go event chasing for dailies.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Friday.7864" said:You can get a mount in 15-20 minutes after you buy the expansion (as it comes with a lvl 80 boost) so I don't see the issue here.When and if you get one or whether you want to use the boost is up to you.

They don’t have to pay attention to the dialogue/story or even finish the instance.

You're a new player, but "Dont pay attention to any of the first 30 minutes so you can get a mount"?Yeah, not making any sense.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Lumikki.1725" said:Mount allow faster travel, what allow player to get first in many places and run pass some enemies. They are used allmost every where in Tyria lands. So it's advance what these players have. Now, new player in lower levels. How does it hurt anyone if they also have access to somekind of mount system, as long they have PoF access in general. New players can basicly play only levels what they characters are able.

So should we make so that on all maps in lower levels mount access would be denied from everyone.

If You say big NO, then think why are you saying it.

You're assuming that new players are rushing to events to do their daily and also just happen to be on that particular map. Enemies are so spread out in core Tyria that players can easily run past them without any issues. They also have various means of movement speed increases available to them.

Before Gliding and mounts existed player had to build for getting around or past mobs. There are plenty of profession that have access to stealth in game which can be used to avoid at least some mobs. If low level players have problem to get daily, why not group up and have two or more in group share share swiftness (boon) or Superspeed (? Daily's are account wide, meaning that one do not need to use the same character just to get achievement for daily done.

Here is all about stealth and which profession that have access to it. Mesmer (from core), Thief and Runes of Trapper where profession that have Traps skill like Dragonhunter and Rangers are some that can use Stealth. There is also different type of teleport skills that can used to get away and out of combat (need to get enough distance to loose hostile targets).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stealth

All daily and which one that can be done without gliding or mount. Daily Vista as an example is a type where one for most cases can reach without gliding or mount. It is also possible mix between PvE, WvW and PvP so there is really not an argument to introduce mounts before it should be introduced and the same for gliding as that also change how you get around on maps.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daily_(achievements)

@Opopanax.1803 said:

@"Friday.7864" said:You can get a mount in 15-20 minutes after you buy the expansion (as it comes with a lvl 80 boost) so I don't see the issue here.When and if you get one or whether you want to use the boost is up to you.

You're a new player, but "Dont pay attention to any of the first 30 minutes so you can get a mount"?Yeah, not making any sense.

Well if they don’t want spoilers but want the mount...

I stopped playing GW2 in early 2013 when there were no Mounts at all and just recently came back to finally finish the story, including the HoT, PoF and LS.

Mounts ruin a big part of the vanilla and HoT map content, even simple things such as reaching a Vista or HP can be a challenge without mounts. You don't want to take that away from new players and spoonfeed them everything.

Sometimes I think it would be better if the mounts were not usable on vanilla / HoT maps, it feels like players cheat their way to map completion now. Jump on a roller beetle and you can explore maps in a few minutes, skipping literally everything.

E: Mounts are 100% essential for most metas, sometimes even the lack of a skyscale or griffon (content locked behind a paywall) can result in failed event participation simply because you can't get there in time. It's really poor game design in my opinion but it is what it is.

@Pii.8574 said:Sometimes I think it would be better if the mounts were not usable on vanilla / HoT maps, it feels like players cheat their way to map completion now. Jump on a roller beetle and you can explore maps in a few minutes, skipping literally everything.You're certainly entitled to your opinion here; however, please consider veteran players with many alts who have multiple map completions already.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Pii.8574 said:Sometimes I think it would be better if the mounts were not usable on vanilla / HoT maps, it feels like players cheat their way to map completion now. Jump on a roller beetle and you can explore maps in a few minutes, skipping literally everything.You're certainly entitled to your opinion here; however, please consider veteran players with many alts who have multiple map completions already.

Good point!My suggestion when taking that into consideration: Make it so that the Mounts only unlock on vanilla maps once you achieved 100% map completion on your account.

Mounts are here now, and we all know Anet will not disable them on core maps.Also, nobody wanted a WvW mount, but when it came out, and people got passed, they had to have one.

We're here talking about the frustration of new players being overtaken left, right and center by us on fast mounts.

The solution I provide is, every now and then I take the time to help new PoF owners get their first mount.Rentals, I have no oppinion on. Yes you can rent a beetle in some maps. Should other mounts be added as rentals?I seen good pro and con arguments, so I am neutral on that point.

But seriously, take your time if you want to help out new players. It's actually very rewarding to do.