POF Mobs and damage/density

Joxer.6024

Ok, there is probably a post about this somewhere but I couldn't find it so here goes. ANET.....I know its new and shiny but can you all do something about the Mobs and the bloody damage they do? If I cant 1 shot something then its only fair that they in turn cant 1 shot me. Even the low level? "regular" little dudes can own, much like our beloved raptors back in the day. But at least those little farts were spread out! In POF you have hardly any chance of just enjoy your hard work as I am constantly being ganked....feels like old WOW pvp days, only not players!! I can take on a Vet no worries but when 16 of his friends show up then yea, not fun. OR they repop while I am communing!Surely I am not the only one who feels this way. If I am, then I suck and everyone carry on as is.....I'll just go find a hole to hide in.....oh wait!!! I cant, filled with mobs!!! ;)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I myself have been put into situations that I couldn't find safe spot or simply turn away from screen for a while just to be attacked and die. Aggroing too many groups at once happened to me aswell. However I think it's good, it actually requires you to focus on game, even when roaming around. It's pretty good training also.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:I myself have been put into situations that I couldn't find safe spot or simply turn away from screen for a while just to be attacked and die. Aggroing too many groups at once happened to me as well. However I think it's good, it actually requires you to focus on game, even when roaming around. It's pretty good training also.

On the one hand, this is true.

On the other, it means that no matter how carefully you pull or control the radius of your combat, you're going to end up pulling the entire Forged camp, fighting for several straight minutes . . .and then realizing it was an event and, oops, you and your friend killed it all. :pReally though, the radius is a bit out of hand. Especially those hydras. Not that they're particularly difficult, but they make it a habit of deliberately walking at you. >.>

Most PoF common mobs are fine, specially when you are simply trying to travel around the map and avoid fights. There are some obvious broken ones who have been given godly range, damage, condition and of course will hunt you through half the map. Branded Devourer, Scarab and every new Harpy are for some reason completely OP when compared to the other types of aggressive enemies. It's like someone was balancing out new monsters based on new stats but ran out of the time and just left some there hoping for the best. Well, they are still there waiting to be fixed. Same way one designer did hero Challenges and another placed Veteran Hydra in exact same spot never considering the combined effect.

I have found the fun is precisely on managing to aggro just what you want to aggro. Like yesterday I got to kill a Branded Forgotten in a HP without attracting the Branded Hydra that was walking just a few steps ahead... it was a great feeling of triumph for something somewhat small, but well earned.

@Joxer.6024 said:Ok, there is probably a post about this somewhere but I couldn't find it so here goes. ANET.....I know its new and shiny but can you all do something about the Mobs and the bloody damage they do? If I cant 1 shot something then its only fair that they in turn cant 1 shot me. Even the low level? "regular" little dudes can own, much like our beloved raptors back in the day. But at least those little farts were spread out! In POF you have hardly any chance of just enjoy your hard work as I am constantly being ganked....feels like old WOW pvp days, only not players!! I can take on a Vet no worries but when 16 of his friends show up then yea, not fun. OR they repop while I am communing!Surely I am not the only one who feels this way. If I am, then I suck and everyone carry on as is.....I'll just go find a hole to hide in.....oh wait!!! I cant, filled with mobs!!! ;)

Mob damage is fine, so long as you know what to avoid, interrupt, or dodge. Going ham on an Awakened Abomination with your multi-hit AOEs is an express ticket to the Mists, for example. Consider re-tuning your build and strategies for engagement.

I personally enjoy the mob density. It lets me keep a nice flow when I'm fighting one group to the next, and makes exploration exciting. That said....

Jacarandas can go wilt in a burning tar heap.

@mtpelion.4562 said:Some of the Branded definitely need to be looked at. I've seen some random Branded Humans sneak up on players and burn them from full health to downed from 1500 range on a long channeled skill (so you can't even dodge the whole thing) that fires a stream of purple balloons into them.

Those Veteran humans... yeesh. That damage needs tuning.

@Ojimaru.8970Jacarandas can go wilt in a burning tar heap.

I get so enraged by them, I forget how to spell the name. But curse them. Curse them all to the deepest, darkest, kitteningist, fire pit. :angry:

This is basically the problem of yeas of the community pushing a 'glass cannon' meta for dungeon farming... when such a meta basically means "you can be 1-shot by anything you fail to dodge".

In dungeons... the players that farm them got to a level of skill where they can dodge, or they heal and revive each other enough.

In the open world, the players generally are a set that haven't mastered this, and/or don't have others around who can or are willing to revive.

If you use one of the free level 80 boosts they've been handing out (I got 2)... your new character will get all Soldiers gear: Power, Vit, and Toughness...

• They are designing the open world around the assumption that you will be wearing gear like that... Even as they design several of the new elite specs for wearing basically Condition or Boon gear...

If the mobs are too thick and hit too hard... change your build or learn more survivability 'play skills' like timing dodges and heals.

That said, I did find the HoT mobs a LOT worse... and I agree about the glitch that leaves you in combat some times...

I think the biggest problem is the follow range and density of certain mobs. When hunting a veteran hydra, theres a good change a stack of Sandsharks and Sandlions come at you from great distance (or the lions attack the sharks, and follow them, dont know for sure). That can be tiring if that happens many times after each other. Not to speak of the surf Forged surfing from one direction to the other when fighting a mob of other Forged.

Honestly, I find PoF mobs A LOT easier to deal with than HoT ones. Sure, you often have to deal with zergs, but aside from djinn and a couple of Forged, the rest are easy. HoT mobs on the other hand were all loaded with a ton of crowd control and just made me miserable as hell. Especially those damn frogs.

@Mina Ion.7852 said:Honestly, I find PoF mobs A LOT easier to deal with than HoT ones. Sure, you often have to deal with zergs, but aside from djinn and a couple of Forged, the rest are easy. HoT mobs on the other hand were all loaded with a ton of crowd control and just made me miserable as hell. Especially those kitten frogs.

HoT mobs were, in some cases, designed around masteries, especially the stealth detection mastery. That made them a royal pain at first. And yeah, the CC was a pain if you didn't burn the worst offenders down at first sight. By comparison, PoF mobs have fewer annoying skills, and just hit a bit harder (on average, plenty of them are fine, or even easy, but some will just decimate your health.)

All that said, jacarandas can all burn, someone needs to take the hydras off meth, and whoever gave the branded steroids needs a talking to.

@Mina Ion.7852 said:Honestly, I find PoF mobs A LOT easier to deal with than HoT ones. Sure, you often have to deal with zergs, but aside from djinn and a couple of Forged, the rest are easy. HoT mobs on the other hand were all loaded with a ton of crowd control and just made me miserable as hell. Especially those kitten frogs.

I find the mobs in HoT to be easier, not because they don't hit as hard but because of the lower density, spawn rate and range. I can stand a stones throw away from a Bristleback in AB and go unnoticed while in PoF the Forged seem to have covertly placed a tracking device in my inventory bag.

@DeadTreeJig.6714 said:

@Mina Ion.7852 said:Honestly, I find PoF mobs A LOT easier to deal with than HoT ones. Sure, you often have to deal with zergs, but aside from djinn and a couple of Forged, the rest are easy. HoT mobs on the other hand were all loaded with a ton of crowd control and just made me miserable as hell.
Especially
those kitten frogs.

I find the mobs in HoT to be easier, not because they don't hit as hard but because of the lower density, spawn rate and range. I can stand a stones throw away from a Bristleback in AB and go unnoticed while in PoF the Forged seem to have covertly placed a tracking device in my inventory bag.

True, but also remember that you have mounts in PoF which you didn't in HoT. And both raptor and jackal allow you to run right past mobs without too much difficulty.

In comparing HoT to PoF, it seems to me that ANet did a better job in HoT of making high damage mobs have smaller health pools. Also, in Hot, one really has to work at aggroing several mobs at once, at least away from events. What I find is that the combination of health pools and mob numbers is most detrimental to glass builds without a ton of AoE and bulky direct damage builds, which have to slowest kill time in the game.

@Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:

@Joxer.6024 said:

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:Git gud? .

lol, theres always one. Umm, learn to spell? But yea, I get your point.

Oh lordy, "learn to spell"....? Learn to recognise a meme perhaps?

lol, I do, but I cant....I still don't get the whole "meme" thing and what they are or how they come about, and yea, I'm old, but all this is off topic. Point taken.....

Archived