Question about thiefs

razaelll.8324

@razaelll.8324 said:Even with sic em ranger i cannot kill good thief in 1vs1 because he has more mobility and just run awayYou give yourself the right answer. You can not build for killing a thief. This class can always run away and reset the fight. You have to play around its strenghts.

You are doing it right, when your thief encounter starts complaining that you have either too much sustain or he lacks damage. That's the moment when his mobility becomes irrelevant and he fails to adapt (e.g. rebuilding for more damage but less mobility).

@KrHome.1920 said:

@razaelll.8324 said:Even with sic em ranger i cannot kill good thief in 1vs1 because he has more mobility and just run awayYou give yourself the right answer. You can not build for killing a thief. This class can always run away and reset the fight. You have to play around its strenghts.

You are doing it right, when your thief encounter starts complaining that you have either too much sustain or he lacks damage. That's the moment when his mobility becomes irrelevant and he fails to adapt (e.g. rebuilding for more damage but less mobility).

I am not complaining just asking for advice how to beath a proper thief in 1vs1

@razaelll.8324 said:

I am not complaining just asking for advice how to beath a proper thief in 1vs1You did not understand my posting. Please read it again!

No one said, that you would complain.

@KrHome.1920 said:

I am not complaining just asking for advice how to beath a proper thief in 1vs1You did not understand my posting. Please read it again!

No one said, that you would complain.

You are doing it right, when your thief encounter starts complaining that you have either too much sustain or he lacks damage.

I am sorry but i dont understand this. Can you elaborate please?

Edit: i got what you mean thank you for the advice

Prev since reveal and chase , pew pew slb since reveal and 1.000.000 range even into stealth - on point everything can kill teef, but teef shouldnt be in 1vs1 anyway. When it comes to DE, projectile hate and terrain helps a lot as well as the named classes above. All other teef specs have noodle damage anyway, just Counterpresuure and avoid 2222 heartseaker spam since that the only thing left teef can do ..., by the way any SA teef counters a none SA teef

@razaelll.8324 said:Hello guys,

I am looking for advice, please let me know builds which counter thiefs.

Thank you in advance

There are many S/D thief power D/P ETC as for strats, you want to look up some videos on twitch or godofpvp. Vallun there was a nother guy too.

Thats how i learned. I found out from vallun that deadeye also can work. He had a build i don't know exactly whaat it was, but he had good escape with stealth he had rifle Not sure what else, prob bow for escapes since he would jump away.

@Axl.8924 said:

Thank you in advance

There are many S/D thief power D/P ETC as for strats, you want to look up some videos on twitch or godofpvp. Vallun there was a nother guy too.

Thats how i learned. I found out from vallun that deadeye also can work. He had a build i don't know exactly whaat it was, but he had good escape with stealth he had rifle Not sure what else, prob bow for escapes since he would jump away.

Thanks for the response, but i am looking for builds which counter thiefs, not for thief builds. I personally dont like thief playstyle and dont want to play it much

Thiefs is the only class which i feel hopeless against in 1vs1 , ofcourse i still have a lot of things to learn , just its very very frustrating for me when i have to fight against thief because i feel like thief is very uninteractive with all of the ports and stealth and casting abilities from stealth. I tryed thief my self just its not my class i never liked stealth classes in any mmorpg.

@razaelll.8324 said:Thanks for the response, but i am looking for builds which counter thiefs, not for thief builds. I personally dont like thief playstyle and dont want to play it much

Thiefs is the only class which i feel hopeless against in 1vs1 , ofcourse i still have a lot of things to learn , just its very very frustrating for me when i have to fight against thief because i feel like thief is very uninteractive with all of the ports and stealth and casting abilities from stealth. I tryed thief my self just its not my class i never liked stealth classes in any mmorpg.

As more build get nerfed, the less builds exist to counter other builds effectively. Right now the only build I run is onslaught reaper, and I just make do with it as best as I can against thief...but against a good one, they will zone you out, bully you and eventually you will die. The tools to counter them simply don't exist anymore on the class in any effective measure.

Best way to not die against a good thief is to know how to kite really really well. No port zones, LOS zones and really the top notch ESL jump spots is your best bet for not dying to thieves.

Against bad thieves, a good way to counter them via mechanical playstyle is to outsmart them by luring them into a range where you can out dps them (reaper auto's will devastate them if they get to close to you). With a ranged thief like Deadeye or P/P, you really can't do much other then to avoid dying (waste their time) until they decide to leave you alone as you aren't worth the time.

I use Axe/Focus and Dagger/Warhorn for my reaper set, where the axe2+dagger2 is a good ranged burst against a bullying thief and normally it's enough damage that they will at the very least disengage if they are hit by it. By the time they recover from the ranged preassure, i will be in shroud to DPS them when they try to burst...again this will normally force a thief out of melee range and abandon their attack on you. Keep up the pressure from ranged and melee (while kiting) and they will eventually either leave you alone, or they will die because they got greedy.

Edit: Also another good tip, is to stand in their port zones, and to stand in their black powders and just drop AOE and Autoattacks on those areas. It forces them to stay away from you while your cooldowns are coming back, and if they get greedy and decide to teleport back, they will get chunked for damage. Also it forces their stealth durations to be shorter since they can't Heart seeker back into the black powder for more stealth. In essence, you gotta control where the thief is by using your aufensive tools.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

@razaelll.8324 said:Thanks for the response, but i am looking for builds which counter thiefs, not for thief builds. I personally dont like thief playstyle and dont want to play it much

As more build get nerfed, the less builds exist to counter other builds effectively. Right now the only build I run is onslaught reaper, and I just make do with it as best as I can against thief...but against a good one, they will zone you out, bully you and eventually you will die. The tools to counter them simply don't exist anymore on the class in any effective measure.

Yes i feel like there is not much counter play to thief, but i am way too unexperienced that's why decided to ask for advice

Best way to not die against a good thief is to know how to kite really really well. No port zones, LOS zones and really the top notch ESL jump spots is your best bet for not dying to thieves.

Against bad thieves, a good way to counter them via mechanical playstyle is to outsmart them by luring them into a range where you can out dps them (reaper auto's will devastate them if they get to close to you). With a ranged thief like Deadeye or P/P, you really can't do much other then to avoid dying (waste their time) until they decide to leave you alone as you aren't worth the time.

I use Axe/Focus and Dagger/Warhorn for my reaper set, where the axe2+dagger2 is a good ranged burst against a bullying thief and normally it's enough damage that they will at the very least disengage if they are hit by it. By the time they recover from the ranged preassure, i will be in shroud to DPS them when they try to burst...again this will normally force a thief out of melee range and abandon their attack on you. Keep up the pressure from ranged and melee (while kiting) and they will eventually either leave you alone, or they will die because they got greedy.

Before the mender/marshal removal i used a core necro build with blood and darkmagic and axe/focus and dagger/warhorn just to be able to outsustain thief so he just leaves me alone, but that build is less effective now, thats why i decided to give sic em soulbeast a try which can 1 shot thiefs, but if you dont land the one shot the thief will just kill you and the thief has a lot of tools to avoid the oneshot in 1vs1 situation

I guess i have to get better at predicting thief's damage and kiting (using terrain and mesh)

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Edit: Also another good tip, is to stand in their port zones, and to stand in their black powders and just drop AOE and Autoattacks on those areas. It forces them to stay away from you while your cooldowns are coming back, and if they get greedy and decide to teleport back, they will get chunked for damage. Also it forces their stealth durations to be shorter since they can't Heart seeker back into the black powder for more stealth. In essence, you gotta control where the thief is by using your aufensive tools.

I imagine classes with some sustain and CC are helpful if they can burst, cause catching a thief outta stealth and putting condi on it puts a lot of strain.

I remember when i played thief, i had to focus on using my dodges to get cc off put strain on me.

Your right about reaper too. They are quite nasty to face. I remember having reaper fight me i ran for my life knowing reaper will rip me to shreds if i go into melee range.

I imagine ranger might be useful vs thief since good sustain cc. I could be wrong. and maybe revenant.

@razaelll.8324 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

Thank you in advance

Thanks for the response, but i am looking for builds which counter thiefs, not for thief builds. I personally dont like thief playstyle and dont want to play it much

To be honest u should not die in 1vs1 vs teef. Any stealth build cannot substain on node vs u, u can ez cap decap and use kiting vs steal/ports, next to any node are anti port spots where steal will not work. Since the teef cannot get node and isnt able to kill u on equal skill lvl he waste time nothing more. Teef is a +1 class, not a 1vs1 class. If he 1vs1 u its already a waste in most situations. On node counterpresuure is enough since teef has no substain next to stealth. U hit a teef like a truck whereas a teef hits u like a noddle.

If u play more and get better u will be able to handle teef. A +1 from a teef is a diffrent story , actually to die in here should happen if not balance is kitten again :)

@"razaelll.8324" said:Hello guys,

Thank you in advance

Thieves won't die unless they commit. Good thieves will commit only if they know they get the kill.So, long story short: your best bet against thieves is persuading the thief not to commit by just boring them to death; with SA being as a strong defensive tool as it is, winning (as in: killing them) isn't really an option unless some real major mistakes are made. Worst happens, thief just spams stealth until shadow rejuvenation does its thing. "Hurr durr thieves don't run shadow rejuvenation"; bs.

Against a pressured thief, however, you can get something done. If a thief is fighting someone else and shadowstep is on CD drop some CC and you may get the kill... just never overcommit on killing a thief because their disengaging potential is usually much higher than your potential to kill them.