How hard do you pursue 100% crit chance?

ASP.8093

Quite a few Power builds these days have the potential to hit 100% crit chance (think of Hammer Herald with Roiling Mists, Necros with Death Perception, or various thief builds with Signet of Agility, for example). This has the major benefit of never "whiffing" your damage due to pure RNG, since non-critical hits on your big cooldowns tend to be quite disappointing.

WvW also throws around a lot of temporary stat bonuses — Borderlands Bloodlust, Presence of the Keep, &c. Which means you can easily find yourself "overcapping" Precision at times.

So, I'm curious: for people who play Power builds that can get close to 100% crit chance, how much do you optimize for the worst case (no buffs) vs. how much do you optimize for the best case (a pile of location-specific WvW buffs)?

depends on the class as well tbh. herald 100%, scourge not.

also, if u play support this is completely irrelevant.

besides, u should never ever rely on having keep/guild or bloodlust stats.

and in the end, this won't matter anyways. in groups the constellation within the group is responsible for having stats maxed and boons shared. for only pugging, it matters 0%... half of the pugs are playing often ranger or thief and are barely able to walk straight or press their buttons. the stats are in that case the last thing that could ever matter.

The only classes that can really build for close to 100% crit chance are power herald. Other classes running marauder , if they generate fury at all, will be closer to 85-90% crit chance.

For example DPS scrapper or holosmith in marauder gear will top out around 95% (80% vs ranged when on mortar) if they run firearms with fury up. Immob soulbeast is only going to be close to 100% with fury up (when fury is up , so uptime is not going to be exactly great) and Reaper even in PVE normally doesn't have 100% crit chance out of shroud. Warrior has to take signet of fury ; elementalists need to use air traitline (raging storm) and/or signet of fire.

That even goes for staff daredevil, where if you don't run signet of agility then ~90% is what should be expected under fury (it becomes 80% when you aren't over 90% health).

When I used to play hammer rev it was 95% so basic guild claim would cap it out. But those days are long gone since hammer rev isn't a thing anymore. I'm not sure what dps we have left that cares about 100% crit chance? Is the staff power guardian still around or did it die? I'm not even sure that went for 100%.

At 95% you are more likely to not crit from fury being stripped or weakness being applied on you. Also the traits and skills that prevent crits like balanced stance and stone skin or whatever that ele gm trait is.

I get maybe 92-95% crit all things being perfect in combat. But the stats are very boon dependent so assuming the boons aren't perfect the overall crit rate drops a bit.

I'd like my crit rate to be higher but on average once you hit 90% your odds of getting a perfect roll on your burst is generally good enough that other stats like power will be a better choice.

On the exact poll question, I don't build for the extra claim buff stats or bloodlust but the build does benefit from them.

@Infusion.7149 said:The only classes that can really build for close to 100% crit chance are power herald.... then you proceed to explain how all classes can build for close to 100% crit chance.

You are right though. Around 70% baseline (marauder+prec runes), another 20% from fury and there you go. Only need 10% from traits/other buffs somewhere.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:The only classes that can really build for close to 100% crit chance are power herald....
then you proceed to explain how all classes can build for close to 100% crit chance

You are right though. Around 70% baseline (marauder+prec runes), another 20% from fury and there you go. Only need 10% from traits/other buffs somewhere.

Perhaps he meant without sacrificing any other stats in tradeoff?

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:The only classes that can really build for close to 100% crit chance are power herald....
then you proceed to explain how all classes can build for close to 100% crit chance

Because herald has 3s fury interval regardless of if you're in combat which makes being stripped not really an issue.On weaver you could do similarly but you'd need to run Elements of Rage and Raging Storm (which doesn't have 100% fury uptime without boon duration) just to hit 90% crit chance with fury.If you don't run short fuse on engineers then fury uptime isn't going to be high. Berserkers don't generate fury on arc divider, so only arcing slice on DPS spellbreaker would work as even if you hit 5 people with axes it has a minor downtime.

P.S. I only worded it that way because the poll options are 100 and the next option down is 70-95... every 100 precision is ~5% because 21 precision is 1% crit chance

@Infusion.7149 said:

Because herald has 3s fury interval regardless of if you're in combat which makes being stripped not really an issue.On weaver you could do similarly but you'd need to run
Elements of Rage
and
Raging Storm
(which doesn't have 100% fury uptime without boon duration) just to hit 90% crit chance with fury.If you don't run
short fuse
on engineers then fury uptime isn't going to be high. Berserkers don't generate fury on arc divider, so only arcing slice on DPS spellbreaker would work as even
if you hit 5 people
with axes it has a minor downtime.

P.S. I only worded it that way because the poll options are 100 and the next option down is 70-95... every 100 precision is ~5% because 21 precision is 1% crit chanceIts still close to 100 for all classes though. I believe if you also get perception+precision+infusions+food you can reach ~95% or something? Thats with no claim buffs, fury or traits etc taken into account.

I generally don't run stacking sigils. They only work if you're snowballing a fight and if you hop maps often you lose your stacks. Sigil of Perception only stacks to 250 precision , which is ~12% crit chance at most so you would not be able to replace fury with it. The most precision you get from food is 100 if you don't run ascended food and 70 if you do.

If you have full legendary then maybe you'd run WvW precision infusions on a separate template (even then 18*5 = 90) but I'm pretty sure most run power infusions. The topic of the thread was about whether people try to hit 100% crit without bonuses from bloodlust / claim bonuses , so my answer remains no.

If you run pack runes you give up 15% of your crit damage for 125 precision which is not going to hit crit cap anyway if you're at 90% crit under fury on a marauder stat build; eagle runes are better in that respect but you lose 175 power in exchange for 175 precision. If your comp is heavy on warrior bubbles then mesmer runes might be able to use the daze bonus but 100 precision instead of 225 ferocity is a hard sell. Thief runes (300 precision) while popular in PvE aren't exactly great when you can't control your positioning to flank everyone. You're more likely to use accuracy sigil for a flat 7% crit chance (147 precision) if you aren't running force + energy , force + impact, or force + cleansing (usually seen on roamers).

Of course it is also dependent on playstyle. If you never attack anything that is defended for example then you would build for claim bonuses and/or borderlands bloodlust.

I don't necessarily tryhard to get to 100% crit, but I do like to have high Precision on builds that have a lot of modifiers. Although I don't play Warrior anymore, I'll use it as an example-Strength/Discipline/Tactics offers 8 modifiers, with Pinnacle Of Strength and Foreceful Greatsword granting additional Power. On builds like this I prefer to sacrifice some Power for extra crit since I already have a ton of Power, but with Fury I still won't have 100%.

On my Necromancer, which I play core Power, it's less about reaching 100% crit and more about not overcapping it. Because I play it fully offensive with Spite/Soul Reaping/Curses I have every crit chance modifier core Necro can get. So I swap out a few zerk pieces for Valk.

My general rule of thumb when playing something glassy, which I often do because I enjoy big numbers, is 55% crit chance minimum, 70% maximum with food and without other buffs like Fury or traits. The more modifiers the build has, especially if it has something that increases the potency of Might, the more crit chance I'll swap in. That way, although I may end up reducing my Power, I'll still have lots when buffed with Might and/or specific modifiers (something like Berserker's Power for example, increase damage % per Adrenaline spent) and will take more advantage of my Ferocity.

I usually do something like full zerk with a few pieces of Assassin, Valk, or Marauder depending on where my crit chance sits at with food. Curry Butternut Squash I use on literally everything because it's cheap af, it gives me 5% crit chance, and extra Ferocity. So I always factor that in.

The only build I have that I actually try to get to 100% crit chance with is my core Skirmishing Ranger build because damage is important with it to make giving up Soulbeast worth it. So I want to hurt a lot without giving up too much of my survival. In this case, I have a lot of mobility via Quickdraw, and 100% crit chance with Spotter, Fury, and Hunter's Tactics.

I don't consider general WvW buffs when making builds because I don't want to rely on being near an objective or having Borderland Bloodlust to complete my build.

I do very much like having 100% crit chance if I can get it without compromising on my build (it was the reason for my thief's name in fact), but it depends what I'm building for and why. A burst build needs as close to 100% as you can get, but a bruiser build is fine with 70% crit chance most of the time. Here's a few builds I run and their respective crit chances;

S/D daredevil: 85ish% after fury and severance sigil proc, 94% if running signet of agilityD/P SA daredevil: 92% with fury and severance sigil proc, 100% if running signet of agilityS/D rifle deadeye: 68-73% (wanderer armor) or 86-91% (marauder armor) after fury (I change the armor based on the matchup, often the tankier version is better)P/D rifle burst deadeye: 100% with marauder gear after fury and if above 90% health, or 100% with valkyrie gear and hidden killerMinstrel Permastealth Tank deadeye: Who cares, this thing is for hiding, scouting and being a troll, not for fightingCondi deadeye: 36% with fury (enough to build malice reliably on multi hit attacks and for on crit condi sigils, not needed otherwise)Celestial deadeye: 60-70% with fury (the 70% is on rifle, less than that feels bad)Zerg staff daredevil: 80% with fury, 97% if behind the enemy and above 90% health