Upcoming Changes to the Edge of the Mists Arena

Cal Cohen.2358

Sounds awesome. This update reminds me of Runescape's 'Castle Wars' - where you could pick a side by stepping into one of the 3 team's portals, and in many of their minigames, if the current game was full of players, you could spectate from different areas. Sounds very similar, and cool. I hope EOTM doesn't lose interest, because it's a very good map. I remember the good old days when it was used for farming karma and levelling up new characters, but sadly it's now only used when all the borders are full, as a last resort, it's sad :-(

• Like 1

This is a terrible idea.  This defeats the spirit of GW2 to make a safe and inviting place for all players to cooperate even if there is one or two db**s who think this is how it should be.  I will not participate in this small d*** pissing match and I hope as a community we have the conviction to do the right thing.  

Each smallest act of kindness, reverberates across great distances and spans of time --affecting lives unknown to the one who’s generous spirit, was the source of this good echo. Because kindness is passed on and grows each time it’s passed until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage, years later, and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil. - Dean Koontz

• Haha 3
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Cal Cohen.2358 said:

Hi everyone,

We’ve made a few additions to the Edge of the Mists arena that will go live with the May 25th release and we wanted to give a brief overview of what those changes look like.

The Mists Arena was originally built as a more accessible space for players looking to self-organize structured fights using WvW skill balance, but the lack of team selection has always limited its usefulness. That won’t be a problem moving forward, as we’re adding the ability for players to manually select and switch between two different teams in the Mists Arena.

The new flow of the Mists Arena island looks like this:

• Upon teleporting to the island, players are automatically switched onto a new team for spectators. This team is friendly to the two combat teams and cannot enter the arena floor. Spectators who attempt to enter the arena will simply be teleported back to the team selection area.
  • On the edge of the arena are flags that players can interact with to freely switch between Mists Arena teams. Players on either of the combat teams will be able to enter the arena floor.
  • Leaving the island will revert players back to their original WvW team.

We’ve also added a transformation option for spectators, which removes their skills and allows them to float above the battlefield to get a better view of the action. This transformation is forced to maintain a certain height above the arena floor, and players in this transformation will be invisible to combatants inside the arena. This is available by interacting with a flag in the same area as team selection.

It’s a small set of changes, but players will no longer be dependent on their Edge of the Mists team placement when looking to fight in the Mists Arena.

Thanks for reading, and we’ll see you in the mists!

-The Systems Team

You should turn the Obsidian Sanctum into its own "WvW sandbox" map instead, kinda like Armistice Bastion arena, but 10 times larger. Give "free WvW" its own large zone, no need to get into trouble with teams in an already existing map :D.

Also, add gliding and mounts to Edge of the Mists, please!

Edited by Lonami.2987

Finally, after 8 years of utter trash ( and Im holding back here ) we get a good patch coming. FINALLY It took you 8 years of destroying this game mode to finally get a good improvement rolling, I guess those who still play will love the changes.

What comes next? actual condi nerfs and power buffs? Do you gonna make wvw competitive again?

cause all you did in the last 8 years was making wvw more and more casual until 80% of the wvw players left this game. and most never came back 😕

Edited by DaveTheKid.5293
Censorship inc
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Zaoda.1653 said:

Sounds awesome. This update reminds me of Runescape's 'Castle Wars' - where you could pick a side by stepping into one of the 3 team's portals, and in many of their minigames, if the current game was full of players, you could spectate from different areas. Sounds very similar, and cool. I hope EOTM doesn't lose interest, because it's a very good map. I remember the good old days when it was used for farming karma and levelling up new characters, but sadly it's now only used when all the borders are full, as a last resort, it's sad 😞

Well, it should remind you of... GW2... instead. This has existed for a long time in the guild hall GvG arena but it hasnt been practical due to PvE balancing.

Its nice that they bring it into WvW.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Akabanna.7630 said:

One thing. If you want to prevent griefing for good. Make the interaction with flags a channeling thing, and make it reveal stealthed players. So this way it is easy to prevent griefers to go in arena and disturb the teams.

This needs more attention. Its the best idea so far that seems a simple and easily implementable change that enables players to take care of griefers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Amorimm.6732 said:

is there a chance we can make it so novelty chairs work in the spectator area? 😛

but on a more serious note; option for spectators to view 1 team as hostile or something, watching two teams of friendlies fight is somewhat difficult.

not fully sure but novelties work in all of Wvw normally anyways. do the chairs not? i really dont pay attention to such things

@ChromeGreen.3980 nice making an alt account just for this spam.

I believe this is the first step towards alliances and how they will be handled.

My Theory:

Spoiler

Each week/month a guild leader will select witch one of the 3 factions they want to join then everyone representing that guild will be linked to that team.  If you switch guilds while on a map you will be moved out of WvW and will have to reque for WvW.

The "Tier" each guild receives will be from the guilds total participation in WvW from the week/month before. Based on the overall average from the community.  This will place more active guilds against one another and less actives against each other removing dead pairings. So this will effectively give 4 tiers Extremely Active, Highly Active, Mostly Active, and Lowly Active Tiers.

At the end  of the week/month each guild will receive a "Activity" number which is important because it will let you know which Tier your going to be in. Within each Tier every faction will have a limit to how many guilds can sign up for it. If a faction is full  then guilds will have to choose a different faction to keep the fights balanced. First come first serve basis. So if you forget to sign up for the faction you want then you will have to pick from what is left. 

This will push guilds to recruit at lower levels so they can get their activity up so they can move up. It will also inspire the cleaning up of guild rosters. Guild leaders would be able to converse with one another to see if they want to join the same faction or combat one another. It would also start talks with commanders for different time zones to have coverage in your or others off hours. 

Very excited about this update. Cant wait to try it out! Gives me hope of better things to come...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Excursion.9752 said:

I believe this is the first step towards alliances and how they will be handled.

My Theory:

Reveal hidden contents

Each week/month a guild leader will select witch one of the 3 factions they want to join then everyone representing that guild will be linked to that team.  If you switch guilds while on a map you will be moved out of WvW and will have to reque for WvW.

The "Tier" each guild receives will be from the guilds total participation in WvW from the week/month before. Based on the overall average from the community.  This will place more active guilds against one another and less actives against each other removing dead pairings. So this will effectively give 4 tiers Extremely Active, Highly Active, Mostly Active, and Lowly Active Tiers.

At the end  of the week/month each guild will receive a "Activity" number which is important because it will let you know which Tier your going to be in. Within each Tier every faction will have a limit to how many guilds can sign up for it. If a faction is full  then guilds will have to choose a different faction to keep the fights balanced. First come first serve basis. So if you forget to sign up for the faction you want then you will have to pick from what is left. 

This will push guilds to recruit at lower levels so they can get their activity up so they can move up. It will also inspire the cleaning up of guild rosters. Guild leaders would be able to converse with one another to see if they want to join the same faction or combat one another. It would also start talks with commanders for different time zones to have coverage in your or others off hours. 

Very excited about this update. Cant wait to try it out! Gives me hope of better things to come...

Your theory completely ignores the facts we know about alliances from dev posts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SyLaR.3628 said:

Your theory completely ignores the facts we know about alliances from dev posts.

If you think they are going to run with something they posted back in 2018 with all the new data the have accumulated. You have more belief than I. If they were going to go with that I think we would have had it already. They have been silent for too long and now that they are releasing this what would be a more grandiose beta test? 

15 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

Are there new rewards for winning or participating in these matches?

Since there are only two sides how will the 3 sided arena work?  Will one side be randomly unused? 

Since teams can be selected is there a limit on team size to keep the teams balanced to prevent stacking?

I find it funny this is even asked. You get the same rank up unid rewards for hitting 10K WvW rank as hitting level 2... God of WvW could have had Eternity attached to it or something given the description...
If there are rewards probably some player event will have some Arenanet attention and get a title or something similar to Teapot's PvP event I'd imagine. Armistice Bastion pass isn't an exclusive as Champion's Rest is in any fashion so adding also a pass would not be a major draw.

2 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

I find it funny this is even asked. You get the same rank up unid rewards for hitting 10K WvW rank as hitting level 2... God of WvW could have had Eternity attached to it or something given the description...
If there are rewards probably some player event will have some Arenanet attention and get a title or something similar to Teapot's PvP event I'd imagine. Armistice Bastion pass isn't an exclusive as Champion's Rest is in any fashion so adding also a pass would not be a major draw.

The reason EOTM is a dead zone is because you don't get WvW reward track there.  This is why I asked.  If there are no special rewards then the zone will remain a dead zone after the initial novelty wears off.