Upcoming Changes to the Edge of the Mists Arena

Cal Cohen.2358

1 hour ago, Flapjackson.1596 said:

Prep for alliances maybe? Very exciting!

Doubt it.

As for the griefing, it won't stop unless a private instance is somehow built in.

On that train of thought, I still think making Guild Halls have WvW balance would sort all of this out. Would also provide a much needed purpose to the guild hall other than decorations and getting guild buffs. It makes zero sense that the Guild Hall arena, which is exclusive to player vs player interaction, to have PVE balance. /shrug

4 minutes ago, Strages.2950 said:

Doubt it.

As for the griefing, it won't stop unless a private instance is somehow built in.

On that train of thought, I still think making Guild Halls have WvW balance would sort all of this out. Would also provide a much needed purpose to the guild hall other than decorations and getting guild buffs. It makes zero sense that the Guild Hall arena, which is exclusive to player vs player interaction, to have PVE balance. /shrug

While guild halls having WvW balance could be a positive change for in-guild testing and skirmishes / sparring , the problem is there is not much "streamer" or viewership potential. The implementation in EoTM / armistice bastion is optimal for the goal of increasing publicity and/or enthusiasm for the mode.

If players can't police themselves and devs need to spend time to implement something just to stop griefing it would be truly sad. This has so much potential due to the spectator mode added (the part floating above the arena).

15 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

While guild halls having WvW balance could be a positive change for in-guild testing and skirmishes / sparring , the problem is there is not much "streamer" or viewership potential. The implementation in EoTM / armistice bastion is optimal for the goal of increasing publicity and/or enthusiasm for the mode.

If players can't police themselves and devs need to spend time to implement something just to stop griefing it would be truly sad. This has so much potential due to the spectator mode added (the part floating above the arena).

If Arenanet has any concerns on "streamer or viewership potential" that's news to me. Never seen any effort on their part, particularly after PvP Esports died, to make the game viewer friendly or support streams as a method of promotion. In fact, even 'influential' GW2 streamers like Teapot have had to find workarounds to company roadblocks and crowdfund support of major tournaments and events that get significant new viewership to the game. That said, I hope you're right and there's a shift in that company line.

6 minutes ago, Strages.2950 said:

If Arenanet has any concerns on "streamer or viewership potential" that's news to me. Never seen any effort on their part, particularly after PvP Esports died, to make the game viewer friendly or support streams as a method of promotion. In fact, even 'influential' GW2 streamers like Teapot have had to find workarounds to company roadblocks and crowdfund support of major tournaments and events that get significant new viewership to the game. That said, I hope you're right and there's a shift in that company line.

It's a lot less of an emphasis than before because the esports dream has sailed but they're still trying a bit.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Masters_of_the_Arena
"Apart from the  Tournament Title Scrolls: Community Conqueror,   Champion's Rest Passes , and 12,000 gems contributed by ArenaNet the prize pool was contributed by the community supporting this game."

Also reread:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-live-summer-2021/

July 5: sPvP Tournament Week and the Tournament of Legends
Prepare for a full week of special tournaments and the return of the Tournament of Legends! Emerge victorious in the Tournament of Legends on July 11 to earn a Generation 1 or 2 legendary weapon—just in time for the Legendary Armory update.

The last time there was a tournament of legends was 2016.

Edited by Infusion.7149

9 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

It's a lot less of an emphasis than before because the esports dream has sailed but they're still trying a bit.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Masters_of_the_Arena
"Apart from the  Tournament Title Scrolls: Community Conqueror,   Champion's Rest Passes , and 12,000 gems contributed by ArenaNet the prize pool was contributed by the community supporting this game."

Also reread:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-live-summer-2021/

The last time there was a tournament of legends was 2016.

I hadn't noticed the Tournament of Legends thing. I wonder how that's gonna work.

As for the rewards to Masters of the Arena, you're absolutely right, but it wasn't driven by Anet. It is a community driven event, where the actual work was done by Teapot and his team for the most part. Anet has all but abandoned their efforts into creating an environment that favors exposure through viewership and streams. Nevermind spearhead an actual event before this upcoming Tournament of Legends. 

Again, I hope this all foreshadows positive changes and that my skepticism is proven worthless; its a product of the WvW Alliance scam.

1 hour ago, Strages.2950 said:

I hadn't noticed the Tournament of Legends thing. I wonder how that's gonna work.

As for the rewards to Masters of the Arena, you're absolutely right, but it wasn't driven by Anet. It is a community driven event, where the actual work was done by Teapot and his team for the most part. Anet has all but abandoned their efforts into creating an environment that favors exposure through viewership and streams. Nevermind spearhead an actual event before this upcoming Tournament of Legends. 

Again, I hope this all foreshadows positive changes and that my skepticism is proven worthless; its a product of the WvW Alliance scam.

My point is Tournament of Legends is coming back (it is not new). As much as you want to say MoTA was not made by Arenanet, they care enough to make a title and give rewards for it. That is not without dev time. Is it lower effort than making their own event? Sure. However, it is probably much easier to justify when having to show to the management (which answers to shareholders) where their efforts are being put. ROI is far higher for that.

ESL with $200K prizepool was over 4 years ago , see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_World_Championship_2016 or https://www.eslgaming.com/category/guild-wars-2  
and then there was a $400K championship (see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pro_League )

Edited by Infusion.7149