Please take your time on EoD expansion

On 5/28/2021 at 7:25 AM, Farohna.6247 said:

As a former WoW player, I highly agree with this.  It's a beautiful game, it's fun, I'm excited to see the expansion.  I don't expect perfection, but I anticipate a great time playing!  

Blizzard is disgracefully milking its dwindling playerbase, it sucks for the people left that have put so many years into the game, the endless systems they have to put up with in place of content. Its quite insulting 😭its a hard habit to quit but got easier after they destroyed the lore and design of everything.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Why wouldn't the expansion launch in November? HoT launched on October 23.

I just dont think it will, having expectations that It will come out prior to the new year is pushing things into a realm of potential disappointment. Better to have no faith in them at all and be surprised than to believe and be let down, The saga broke any faith I had in this company.

Since they say they'll be announcing a lot of stuff in July, it seems unwise to declare with certainty that they won't tell us the launch date and that said date can't possibly be in 2021.  If they use that July announce event to underwhelm like that time they booked a whole auditorium to tell us things that could have been in a short news blog, then it might be time to rabblerabblerabble.  For now, they've given us a road map, they've told us when we'll know more, and we can guess what might be coming but it's best not to assume we actually know anything about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thornwolf.9721 said:

I just dont think it will, having expectations that It will come out prior to the new year is pushing things into a realm of potential disappointment. Better to have no faith in them at all and be surprised than to believe and be let down, The saga broke any faith I had in this company.

My belief is the saga came out as it did because of the all hands on the new expansion type situation. We'll see I guess. 2

• Confused 1

On 5/28/2021 at 2:24 PM, lokh.2695 said:

Super on board for this. But alas, a faster release means faster money so I doubt quality is a metric for ANet.

Sad reality.. unfortunately one that is far too common in the gaming industry these days.

Nothing we can do though, except vote with our wallets.. another thing that unfortunately not enough people do these days.

I hope Gw2 never see's another awful release like the IBS finale but sadly that's always going to be a possibility so long as there are people in positions of power who care more about money than the quality of their company's product.
I hope I never have to add Anet to the boycott list.. and tbh over the last several years I never thought i'd even consider it but after the IBS finale that depressing reality kinda hit me as a possibility.

End of Dragons needs to be a whole lot better than just good.. it needs to be exceptional.
Good isn't going to be enough to justify the bad IBS finale we got.. not even close.
Anet wanted to can IBS to focus on EoD so EoD better be worth screwing up a living world season for it.. if it isn't, well i'm going to start being a bit more reserved about spending my money on Gw2 going forward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/29/2021 at 12:14 AM, Excursion.9752 said:

I love this game just as much as the next person but for as much regurgitated content that we have been playing from DRM's to redoing all of previous living world stories. It better be soon because most people are going to get tired of waiting. I know I'm getting restless and in need of something fresh and exciting.

New doesn't guarantee good.

Impatience is no justification for a rushed release.. specially if the release ends up being crap.
I'd rather suffer content droughts for weeks, months, even years! if I have to if the end result is an amazing release.

Frankly after the IBS finale i'd have rather had nothing.. than the release we got.
The amount of anger, disappointment and resentment that one release caused not just for me but a lot of players was definitely not worth it.
It's set the bar ridiculously high for End of Dragons.. possibly impossibly high which will make EoD a guaranteed flop for many people.. and Gw2 could suffer as a result of that.

I'm with the OP 100% on this, always choose to delay rather than rush a bad release.. it's not worth tarnishing your game with bad content.

To quote a legendary man.

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever."

― Shigeru Miyamoto

And I 100% agree with him on that.
I think i'll add that as my signature lol

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Sad reality.. unfortunately one that is far too common in the gaming industry these days.

Nothing we can do though, except vote with our wallets.. another thing that unfortunately not enough people do these days.

I hope Gw2 never see's another awful release like the IBS finale but sadly that's always going to be a possibility so long as there are people in positions of power who care more about money than the quality of their company's product.
I hope I never have to add Anet to the boycott list.. and tbh over the last several years I never thought i'd even consider it but after the IBS finale that depressing reality kinda hit me as a possibility.

End of Dragons needs to be a whole lot better than just good.. it needs to be exceptional.
Good isn't going to be enough to justify the bad IBS finale we got.. not even close.
Anet wanted to can IBS to focus on EoD so EoD better be worth screwing up a living world season for it.. if it isn't, well i'm going to start being a bit more reserved about spending my money on Gw2 going forward.

Hello, They need money to pay the employee. 
More money -> Better employees quality of life. Don't you think? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yefluke.3168 said:

It's more accurate to equal more money with more pocket change for the upper management.

What happens is "Players pay more? That's profit now."

What does not happen is "Players pay more? Time to invest more in our product."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, yefluke.3168 said:

Not particularly.
Employee's don't necessarily get more money if their company does well, in most cases they probably don't.
Upper management probably gets big bonus's though.. bonus's they probably don't even deserve a lot of the time.

But that's not really the point.
A Better Product = more money.

The quality and appeal of your game is what ultimately makes people want to spend money on it.. if the game sucks or is riddled with issues or bad releases then people are less likely to spend money on it.. and existing players are more likely to move on to something else.

Rushing out new releases be that DLC, updates or entirely new games is one of the biggest contributors to what constitutes a bad game.
I don't want Gw2 to end up becoming a bad game, and I doubt anyone here does.
Except maybe those "kill Gw2 make Gw3" players lol

It's better to delay content when it's needed so we don't end up spoiling a good game with bad releases.

• Like 1

That quote really only applies to pre-online updated games, I think he said that around N64 delay

Nowadays 99% of games are rushed because they can get away with it by fixing it later, GW2 was most certainly rushed and an incomplete game at launch. A lot of developers have no choice but to meet demands of their publisher, extreme time crunches exist in game development and its honestly a horribly structured business. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Why does everyone want alliances when we don't even have Guild vs. Guild? In GUILD WARS.

In Guild Wars, there is Guild vs Guild.

Now it's only in the name because it's a sequel.

Tyria Online or something along the lines might have been a more fitting name for the sequel.

Also, technically the guild wars are an event that predates the first game.

That said, I doubt either of those features comes out in the near future.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fueki.4753 said:

In Guild Wars, there is Guild vs Guild.

Now it's only in the name because it's a sequel.

Tyria Online or something along the lines might have been a more fitting name for the sequel.

Also, technically the guild wars are an event that predates the first game.

That said, I doubt either of those features comes out in the near future.

Yes, I know the Guild Wars was a lore event, but it doesn't matter. It was a really great mode that should have made its way into GW2 as well but never did for some REALLY weird reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Yes, I know the Guild Wars was a lore event, but it doesn't matter. It was a really great mode that should have made its way into GW2 as well but never did for some REALLY weird reason.

I don't think it's a weird reason.

PvP never really took off in GW2, so they didn't properly attempt to create another PvP mode.

Even the occasional Death Match mini seasons or the timed tournaments are less than a half-hearted attempts to get more people into PvP.

Edited by Fueki.4753

3 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I don't think it's a weird reason.

PvP never really took off in GW2, so they didn't properly attempt to create another PvP mode.

Even the occasional Death Match mini seasons or the timed tournaments are less than a half-hearted attempts to get more people into PvP.

PvP didn't take off in GW2 because they completely half-assed it most of the time and everyone just got tired and left. I've talked to many PvPers in GW2 and for all the complaints they have, the core combat was never the issue. In fact, many people say it's incredibly enjoyable, if rather punishing. So, the foundation is solid, but the execution is lacking in many areas.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TheBravery.9615 said:

the combat system has been promising and held great potential, but its ruined by kitten balance design

That's what I always hear, but it's always hard for me to take these balance complaints seriously because much of the time, they're never made by people who have put SERIOUS hours into their class and actually truly studied the current matchups.

Edited by Arnox.5128

11 hours ago, Rukia.4802 said:

Nowadays 99% of games are rushed because they can get away with it by fixing it later, GW2 was most certainly rushed and an incomplete game at launch. A lot of developers have no choice but to meet demands of their publisher, extreme time crunches exist in game development and its honestly a horribly structured business. 

It is a horribly structured business model I agree and one I believe does more harm that good at the end of the day.
There's a lot games I was interested in at one point in time but due to horrific launches I ended up not buying them.

This is always a risk of rushing, you kitten off your customers and potential customers leading to some people quitting the game and others changing their mind about buying it.
At that point it's a hard sell to get most of those people back, even when you've "fixed" the game.

Some people remain sour and adamantly believe the game to be crap regardless of improvements.
Others move on to other games and loose interest entirely.
And some people just loose faith in the entire company and develop a mindset such as "This developer doesn't give a crap about the quality of their games and i'm done supporting them"
Those are difficult views to change.

First impressions are always important and a bad release can really hurt a franchise sometimes even a studio.
Just look at EA and how horrendously they operate.. deadlines, crunch, impossible unrealistic demands leading to broken and rushed games.. leading to dead shutdown studios.. but the fat cats at the top still get their big bonuses.
It's disgusting that that company even still exists if you ask me.

I believe the only people who can really ever change this practice are us customers.. by voting with our wallets.
But getting millions of gamers to unify against certain practices and companies to force them to change how they operate is a borderline impossible feat.. we're just to divided on this issue, and a lot of gamers don't even care and just want something new to play.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2021 at 2:09 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

If you release something during festivals you'll always have the people that focus on enjoying the events first and buy the expansion later, which would result in less Day 1 sales and less participation metrics in the new content.

Although I'm not sure if Arenanet cares for either of those.

Man, between a expantion and a farm, farm and farm again event i already know what to pick up. I never liked the gw2 events.

• Like 1

I personally consider EoD to be Anet's last chance, and I know I'm not alone in that.  So as impatient as I am to return to Cantha, I actually don't want to see this Expansion released this year.  EoD cannot be half-assed, it must be a slam-dunk, so Arenanet has to put in the time and effort to do that.

Also, lmfao at the people that still think GW1 was named after the lore-event guild wars and not the other way around.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2021 at 6:56 AM, Teratus.2859 said:

New doesn't guarantee good.

To quote a legendary man.
"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever."

I had to comment on these two things basically in the same way. Having it delayed would not guarantee it being good either.  Ask the people who waited for Duke Nukem Forever how good that game was and they waited 15 years and it was awful.

6 hours ago, Excursion.9752 said:

I had to comment on these two things basically in the same way. Having it delayed would not guarantee it being good either.  Ask the people who waited for Duke Nukem Forever how good that game was and they waited 15 years and it was awful.

That is a valid point although DNF is a poor example of it.

DNF went through a ton of crap over that 15 years, the game was canned and restarted over and over again by different developers.
The final game that we actually got was only in development for a couple of years.. 3 years if I remember right.

It's quite sad really, while DNF doesn't live up to the classics that made the franchise such a hit, I don't think it was overall that bad.. not for a game made in 3 years anyway.
It retained a lot of the vulgarity and just absurd 80's macho stuff that people loved about Duke in the first place.
While there were some overly sensitive people out there whining about it, you just can't have a Duke Nukem game without all that silly stuff, it's part of who Duke is as a character.
Taking it away would be like having a Harry Potter game without magic XD

But regarding delays.. you're not wrong, delay's don't guarantee something will be good in the end but the chances of a better product are certainly higher with delays.
Rushing to hit a deadline is almost always to the detriment of the final product imo.

Edited by Teratus.2859