I really loathe immersion breaking cosmetics.

1 hour ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

By now Anet must be aware that there skins spoil the immersion for a large number of people yet they won't give us a proper working OFF switch.  Why is this do you think?

If a large number of players were bothered by them the problem would largely solve itself because a large number of players would choose not to use them, which would also have the knock-on effect of those items not selling as well (or being as well recieved when they're in-game rewards) and therefore removing the incentive for Anet to make more of them.

As that's not the case I suspect it's more of a vocal minority who don't like them and so Anet don't think it's worth committing the development time it would require to build such a feature.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If a large number of players were bothered by them the problem would largely solve itself because a large number of players would choose not to use them, which would also have the knock-on effect of those items not selling as well (or being as well recieved when they're in-game rewards) and therefore removing the incentive for Anet to make more of them.

As that's not the case I suspect it's more of a vocal minority who don't like them and so Anet don't think it's worth committing the development time it would require to build such a feature.

Or it will correct itself by having those players avoid the game entirely. :T

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If a large number of players were bothered by them the problem would largely solve itself because a large number of players would choose not to use them

Counterpoint: A large number of players are bothered by them for a variety of reasons that don't all overlap and therefore may buy/use them but not enjoy the other drawbacks, therefore making the sales numbers an incomplete examination of people's annoyance.

Cosmetic: The look of the item, for better or worse.

Performance: The impact on FPS and general game operation when one or more of these items is present (and not just on old PCs).
Visual Noise: The blotting out of enemy AOE indicators, attack tells/animations, and other visual cues

Optical Interference: The actual physical discomfort and/or pain brought on by dizzying particles, searing bright colors, or flashing lights

Someone can love how an item looks but...

- not want to see it on a whole zerg of other people.

- dislike when the whole party is winged up and blocking view of the boss.

- be subjected to migraine when it's running past them in explosive neon green.

- drop FPS and/or experience a full client freeze/crash when too many of these cosmetics are present on the screen.

People have requested toggles for years and years on "immersion breaking" items (including custom mount skins) because they are often the loudest, flashiest, and most visually distracting items in the game. And while people may also grumble about lesser perceived breaks (like the animal headbands), I don't think they are where most of the ire is directed. Allowing people to tailor some of this in their settings caters to a wide variety of players for a wide variety of reasons, and would allow for better coexistence between people who can't stand the shiny and people who can't live without it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tacky people exist in real life, they exist in all universes. Maybe after working in an american high for 10 years, the tacky stuff seem par for the course. Just because I question what parent allow their child to come to school wearing "that", does not mean I can use immersion breaking to not do my job. 

Edited by Shadowmoon.7986
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:01 PM, Follyfoot.2803 said:

I have nothing against extra skins especially when it helps the dev's stay afloat but can't we have them minus the Christmas tree lights and disco balls?

It's bad enough having a enemy armed with long range particle accelerator canons, rail guns, mortars and the ability to nuke us from orbit.  What happened to the fantasy setting?  When did we drift into a star wars movie?

yeah just ignore the highly advanced Asura and their technology. Robots, huge flying ships, computers,  energy cannons and whatever. Charr having kind of tanks... gw2 is a genre mix, not fantasy only.

Edited by phreeak.1023
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree, I hate it. Right now, it helps that we can turn character models to "lowest" quality in the graphics, so we get a generic shape representing the race/class. However, their mounts and their backpieces still show. Arenanet needs to add a "hide character model backpieces" option, and a way to toggle mounts to their generic base skins. At that point, the problem would be pretty much solved--the players who don't care for immersion and just want to look shiny can do their thing, and those of us who want everything to fit into the lore and aesthetic of the universe can opt out of seeing the shinies. 

Edited by Weindrasi.3805

12 hours ago, phreeak.1023 said:

yeah just ignore the highly advanced Asura and their technology. Robots, huge flying ships, computers,  energy cannons and whatever. Charr having kind of tanks... gw2 is a genre mix, not fantasy only.

I was thinking about this yesterday, while fighting a giant holographic branded minotaur.

One of the things I like about GW2 is that the world, including the technology, has changed over time. 264 years ago at the start of GW1's Prophecies campaign human society in Tyria might have been largely similar to the Middle Ages but that was 264 years ago. Go that far back in real life and we're in 1757 and technology and society also looks very different.

Some of the tech (and magitech) we see in GW2 is still relatively new, for example the holograms used in Dragon Bash were developed by Elli shortly before and during the personal story, she taught the Pact how to use them, they shared the info with their allies including the Captain's Council of Lion's Arch. The Aetherblades stole it from them and gave it to Scarlet who developed her own versions, and 8 years later there's all kinds of holograms out there, including wearable ones. (A bit like how the first iPhone launched in 2007, followed by the first Android phone in 2008 and 8 years later they were everywhere.)

And soon we're going to go to Cantha who have been out of contact with the rest of the world for over 100 years. I'm sure they'll have developed their own ideas in that time and I'm certain they're going to further influence magic and technology in Tyria and lead to more new things.

• Like 5