Uhm..... is there any Anime / 3D movies adaptation of GW2?

17 minutes ago, Zero.1972 said:

Hi there, just asking if there is or will be any GW2 movie 3D / anime? I would love to watch it! Why not?

What is your thoughts everyone?
I'd like to see GW2 go out with a bang! A movie or Anime!!

Nope, but I think there is one for Blade and Soul, another NCSOFT title kinda like GW . 

Video game films are notoriously mediocre.  The typically do a disservice to the players by changing/omitting the lore or poor casting in an effort to appeal to a broader audience.  Most people aren't going to jump in to a film with the hopes of seeing technologically advanced rabbit gnomes or freshly sprouted leaf people.  And I haven't forgotten what a snooze they made of WoW when we all hoped for amazing cinematic quality, so no thank you.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

GW2 is a western based property.  It isn't going to get an Anime.  What it's going to get is blocky, generic characters with bean-shaped mouths.  

Never seen Castlevania ? Not a fan of all the doll eyed/face modern day anime style personaly, and the stiff cgi animation ones. Do like the older ones from 80's and 90's.

Edited by particlepinata.9865

On 6/23/2021 at 4:14 PM, Farohna.6247 said:

Video game films are notoriously mediocre.  The typically do a disservice to the players by changing/omitting the lore or poor casting in an effort to appeal to a broader audience.  Most people aren't going to jump in to a film with the hopes of seeing technologically advanced rabbit gnomes or freshly sprouted leaf people.  And I haven't forgotten what a snooze they made of WoW when we all hoped for amazing cinematic quality, so no thank you.

Someone's stuck in 10 years ago...

Have there been any good video game films in the last 10 years?

The 2018 Tomb Raider film wasn't bad, although that was partially because it didn't stick to the story of any of the games, it took the general idea of the reboot and told it's own story, but that's the nearest I can think of. Oh and I haven't seen the new Mortal Kombat film and I thought the last one wasn't bad so that's a possibility.

But I certainly wouldn't say video game adaptions have gotten consistently better over time. They might not feel as much need to pretend it's absolutely nothing to do with any type of game and avoid anything too obviously sci-fi or fantasy to avoid scaring away audiences but I wouldn't say they've gotten better over all.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Someone's stuck in 10 years ago...

Budgets increased, quality did not.  They are largely forgettable films, capitalizing on nostalgia.  And that's an ok thing.  I'm sure someone thought Rampage and Sonic were tremendous films.  They were entertaining. Indeed other films and series have been well done. Think in terms of scope for GW2 though, with more complex stories, what chapter would you like to tell?  What would you omit?  CGI Taimi?  Would you exclude entire races or change them, again falling back on WoW film with the exclusion of Draenei, so they translate better to film and the average viewer?

Lol it's not being "stuck", it's like taking a favorite novel and then seeing Hollywood make a horribly disappointing movie from it, made by people who didn't read the book...or play the game.

54 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Budgets increased, quality did not.  They are largely forgettable films, capitalizing on nostalgia.  And that's an ok thing.  I'm sure someone thought Rampage and Sonic were tremendous films.  They were entertaining. Indeed other films and series have been well done. Think in terms of scope for GW2 though, with more complex stories, what chapter would you like to tell?  What would you omit?  CGI Taimi?  Would you exclude entire races or change them, again falling back on WoW film with the exclusion of Draenei, so they translate better to film and the average viewer?

Lol it's not being "stuck", it's like taking a favorite novel and then seeing Hollywood make a horribly disappointing movie from it, made by people who didn't read the book...or play the game.

Well, for starters, Detective Pikachu was good. Also the new Mortal Kombat. The days of terrible Uwe Boll movies are over. So yes, you are stuck in the past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I think the reason the Warcraft movie left a lot of stuff out is because they were specifically adapting Warcraft 1 (which was subtitled Orcs and Humans and mainly featured those two races). I suspect the plan was to follow it up with movies based on Warcraft 2 and 3 and some parts of the MMO.

Personally I think they should have adapted the short story The Last Guardian which is all about Medivh and Gul'dan and why they thought it was a good idea to tear a hole in reality. Make it a bit more of a drama and a bit more character focused (without having to shoe-horn in new characters). I also think part of the problem was the props and sets were too similar to the games, which clashes with the live action and made a lot of things look too obviously like plastic props, with the overall effect being that it looked cheap and poorly done. I found it especially weird that they kept the colour-coded roofs (a mechanic from the RTS games).

Partially because of that I think a Guild Wars movie would probably work better if it was animated (so everything looks like it belongs together, whether they keep to the games art style or change it) and potentially telling its own story rather than following the story of the game. Maybe adapt one of the books, or write an original story about another group of Pact soldiers so it's telling the story of the campaign against the dragons but from a different perspective.)

2 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Well, for starters, Detective Pikachu was good. Also the new Mortal Kombat. The days of terrible Uwe Boll movies are over. So yes, you are stuck in the past.

So there's been a couple of good ones. That's not new. The 1995 Mortal Kombat movie was good too (although the CGI cartoon prequel and the live action sequel were both terrible) and the first Resident Evil film was pretty popular (although I think expectations are lower for horror movies generally). The fact that there are occasionally ones which aren't terrible doesn't mean the genre as a whole is reliably good or that there's not going to be other terrible ones in future.

• Like 2