Finally New engine!

The game needs a shader cache like D912PXY offers one. That's all.

GW2 unplayable without D912PXY esp. in WvW. You can't even turn for 90 degrees without huge stutters in large scale as the real time shader compiling kills every CPU.

No need for another API - just add that cache. 30 fps in large scale are okay - the stutters are not.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

It does give you an option.  I just checked an apparently one of the ways depends on whether you're running the professional version or not.

Another way is through the services console although I haven't personally used it.

Yet another way is through the registry although I haven't personally done that myself since I don't have issues with the updates.

So yeah... you're incorrect about there not being a way.

By all means provide examples instead of generalized hypotheticals.

EDIT: I just checked now and all of my settings which I had set years ago are still intact. 

Also, for the one saying that solitaire was removed, you’re wrong. It got repackaged under another app which is already installed in Windows and includes a handful of other card games. 

- I have the Education edition of 10, which is basically a retail edition of Enterprise. I went into the group policy editor and turned off ALL automatic updates. Still got "upgraded". But hey, don't believe me? Read for yourself: https://www.techradar.com/news/some-windows-10-updates-will-soon-be-force-installed-whether-you-like-it-or-not Services console also doesn't work. Update service gets turned on again automatically. The registry entry you're thinking of is probably that setting talked about above in the group policy editor.

- Here's Windows 10 changing settings: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-windows-from-constantly-changing-my/8c6f7c5f-cb5d-41dc-8b4b-2fb4d5ec565e

- While Solitaire wasn't technically removed, what I'm saying is the old version was removed and the new version is now fee-to-pay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Solitaire_Collection#Advertisement_controversy

9 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

You are free to live in gaming in Linux, I've been there, if spending countless hours dealing with compatibility tuning, documentation browsing, glitch solving and researching for custom GPU drivers every single time just to play one game is your thing, go for it.

So have I. In 2007! Don't know if you noticed this but Steam released a little thing called Proton, and now doing all that crap is (mostly) ancient history. In fact, Linux has grown MASSIVELY in terms of user convenience. It is now in many ways more convenient than Windows to run. Hell, if you wanted to make it really basic and simple, you can get Elementary OS and it will be something even your grandma can easily use. You're telling me to get with the times? I'm telling you the same thing.

I can now safely say that in terms of functionality and convenience, while it still doesn't QUITE have the insane driver pool of Windows yet, Linux is now snapping at Windows' heels.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

- I have the Education edition of 10, which is basically a retail edition of Enterprise. I went into the group policy editor and turned off ALL automatic updates. Still got "upgraded". But hey, don't believe me? Read for yourself: https://www.techradar.com/news/some-windows-10-updates-will-soon-be-force-installed-whether-you-like-it-or-not Services console also doesn't work. Update service gets turned on again automatically. The registry entry you're thinking of is probably that setting talked about above in the group policy editor.

- Here's Windows 10 changing settings: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-windows-from-constantly-changing-my/8c6f7c5f-cb5d-41dc-8b4b-2fb4d5ec565e

- While Solitaire wasn't technically removed, what I'm saying is the old version was removed and the new version is now fee-to-pay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Solitaire_Collection#Advertisement_controversy

So have I. In 2007! Don't know if you noticed this but Steam released a little thing called Proton, and now doing all that crap is (mostly) ancient history. In fact, Linux has grown MASSIVELY in terms of user convenience. It is now in many ways more convenient than Windows to run. Hell, if you wanted to make it really basic and simple, you can get Elementary OS and it will be something even your grandma can easily use. You're telling me to get with the times? I'm telling you the same thing.

I can now safely say that in terms of functionality and convenience, while it still doesn't QUITE have the insane driver pool of Windows yet, Linux is now snapping at Windows' heels.

Heard it all before 15 years back, "Linux A is going to replace Windows B" yet nothing's changed, Ubuntu don't even make a significant dent in Vista.

Proton is just another customized version of WINE, which is just another compatibility layer. Which is exactly why gaming on Linux will never reaches mainstream. Even today the selection is limited, the playthrough experience is compromised, and you're prone to far more trouble shooting when something goes wrong.

Then focus back to Guildwars 2, you have no steam support, its WINE tuning is too complex for the casual users, and the performance is crap. Your whole argument happens in place because Linux don't work here! You still relying solely Windows to play this game.

Which also speaks for all linux in general for casual users, I bet you never made the attempt to push Linux to anyone who has little knowledge about computers to live through the headaches. No matter how user friendly X distro made the UI looks to be, you still need to go far more technical when something not working as intended.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Heard it all before 15 years back, "Linux A is going to replace Windows B"

Yeah, that's not at all what I said.

Even today the selection is limited, the playthrough experience is compromised

From your words, you make it seem like over 50% of games just break in half in Linux. That couldn't be further from the truth.

you're prone to far more trouble shooting when something goes wrong.

If all else fails, you just dual-boot Windows 10 only for games. Boom, problem solved. Now, yes, this is a clunky solution, granted, but there are few games where you'll even face such an insurmountable problem with Proton. And most of that has to do with anti-cheat.

Then focus back to Guildwars 2, you have no steam support

Yet. This is quite literally only a matter of time now.

its WINE tuning is too complex for the casual users

ProtonDB (for the most part) reports it working with no fiddling required.

the performance is crap

Have you used it recently?

You still relying solely Windows to play this game.

You know, I actually loved Windows. Back when it was actually good. Back when they actually gave a s*** about making a quality product. But then it took a dip with 8.1 and then it ended with 10 later on. Regardless, I'm not going to use 10 as my main OS. I don't care if I even have to give up some games (very unlikely). I'm not going to turn over and let Microsoft stomp on the other side of my face. And just like I questioned HappyHubris, I'm going to question you about why you even care what I run or want to use? You wanna use 10, go ahead, but some of us don't want to, and aren't going to at least until Microsoft stops crapping out a sorry excuse for an OS and then trying to make us adopt it without fixing it.

I bet you never made the attempt to push Linux to anyone who has little knowledge about computers to live through the headaches.

Never had the opportunity honestly. I'll be sure to keep a lookout. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know why this thread is so incredibly derailed, but Linux has come a long way in terms of usability and dxvk is far better than d912pxy even on Windows. If all you do is play GW2 , use Microsoft Office, and some other games that are existent on Proton there's not much reason to shy away from Ubuntu which is the default Linux distro for Steam or even something like Manjaro (Arch-based , pre-installed with Steam) if you're more technical.

One of the reasons the transition to DX11 is interesting is because dxvk also has a dx11 to vulkan translation. For Nvidia users it will be of no consequence probably but for AMD GPU owners it will likely have a slight improvement.

Windows is not all that it is cracked out to be ever since it has centered on the store and Cortana, I remember before COVID my cousin who is an engineer at a telecom company (so not technically illiterate) actually had their OS corrupted from an automatic update and I ended up having to fix it.

1 hour ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Yeah, that's not at all what I said.

Irrelevant as it all falls into the same category of the same advertisement we've heard for over a decade or decades even today.

From your words, you make it seem like over 50% of games just break in half in Linux. That couldn't be further from the truth.

50%, 75%, 80% it doesn't matter, nobody is going to invest $1000~$3000 worth of a gaming gear on an incomplete software package. Even less for a compromised experience on a full playthrough.

If all else fails, you just dual-boot Windows 10 only for games. Boom, problem solved. Now, yes, this is a clunky solution, granted, but there are few games where you'll even face such an insurmountable problem with Proton. And most of that has to do with anti-cheat.

Needing to dual boot indicates when that OS fails to meet the need of end user. As mentioned above, proton(or Wine) remains a compromised solution, not even Valve denies that.

Yet. This is quite literally only a matter of time now.

Matter of uncertain time for a 2012 game, which is exactly another fundamental issue on Linux gaming. You require 3rd party layer on top of another 3rd party compatibility layer to make one game accessible, instead of something that runs natively.

You know, I actually loved Windows. Back when it was actually good. Back when they actually gave a s*** about making a quality product. But then it took a dip with 8.1 and then it ended with 10 later on. Regardless, I'm not going to use 10 as my main OS. I don't care if I even have to give up some games (very unlikely). I'm not going to turn over and let Microsoft stomp on the other side of my face. And just like I questioned HappyHubris, I'm going to question you about why you even care what I run or want to use? You wanna use 10, go ahead, but some of us don't want to, and aren't going to at least until Microsoft stops crapping out a sorry excuse for an OS and then trying to make us adopt it without fixing it.

And I used to love Linux, in fact I am still a Linux follower today, but the reality is that Linux equally shares many fundamental problems that Windows shares, even today. On Windows least I could dealt with most of the problems on a graphical interface, in Linux I'm stuck in the Terminal having to sudo 90% of the problems with a requirement of an expertise of knowing terminal commands from a booklet. Try pushing that onto ANYONE who's never touched a command prompt interface.

Back to your question, I don't really care your choice of OS, as said you should already known (and accept) the consequences of sticking with a legacy OS as your main. But I simply don't agree your harsh judgement onto Windows 10, or any other assumption that one OS is completely better than the other. I for one am mostly satisfied with Windows 10, and I'm saying that with a long term daily driver experience coming from both Modern Linux and Windows 7.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

in Linux I'm stuck in the Terminal having to sudo 90% of the problems with a requirement of an expertise of knowing terminal commands from a booklet.

Dude... Seriously... When was the last time you used Linux? This isn't 2005 anymore.

6 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

I simply don't agree your harsh judgement onto Windows 10

Well, believe it or not, this isn't my personal opinion. In almost every metric that makes a good OS including control, reliability, and performance, Windows 10 objectively fails in comparison to both Linux and its previous iterations. Don't blame me, go talk to Microsoft. I WISH Windows 10 actually worked as well as past iterations. I didn't want it to fail. Microsoft though decided they couldn't be arsed to fix anything, so whatever.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

GW2 unplayable without D912PXY esp. in WvW. You can't even turn for 90 degrees without huge stutters in large scale as the real time shader compiling kills every CPU.

No need for another API - just add that cache. 30 fps in large scale are okay - the stutters are not.

I have no problems with that in WvW. Even with 3 blobs, 150 players and 20 fps. No stutters in turning the camera. 

Edited by phreeak.1023
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Dude... Seriously... When was the last time you used Linux? This isn't 2005 anymore.

My guess is that you never ran any Linux seriously enough as your main OS and a daily driver.

You can as well browse these forums and review all most recent the troubleshooting processes:

New to Ubuntu forum:

https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326

Ubuntu General Help Forum:

https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331

I can assure you over 90% are terminal work.

And here's an example of a guide guide on how to properly set up an Xbox One gamepad.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/set-up-xbox-one-controller-ubuntu/

4 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Well, believe it or not, this isn't my personal opinion. In almost every metric that makes a good OS including control, reliability, and performance, Windows 10 objectively fails in comparison to both Linux and its previous iterations. Don't blame me, go talk to Microsoft. I WISH Windows 10 actually worked as well as past iterations. I didn't want it to fail. Microsoft though decided they couldn't be arsed to fix anything, so whatever.

That's your personal bias.

Watch the real metrics here:

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Vilin.8056 said:

My guess is that you never ran any Linux seriously enough as your main OS and a daily driver.

You can as well browse these forums and review all most recent the troubleshooting processes:

New to Ubuntu forum:

https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326

Ubuntu General Help Forum:

https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331

I can assure you over 90% are terminal work.

And here's an example of a guide guide on how to properly set up an Xbox One gamepad.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/set-up-xbox-one-controller-ubuntu/

That's your personal bias.

Watch the real metrics here:

- First of all, you know you can't escape the terminal entirely in Windows either, right? Wanna run a ping test? Too bad. You need to open command prompt and type in the command. Wanna uninstall some apps on Windows 10 that won't uninstall with the GUI? (By the way, that's another fun new Windows 10 regression for you.) You need to open Powershell and run commands. No other way to do it. Second of all, the terminal isn't actually some antique piece of crap that is horrible for everyone to use. I ACTUALLY WISH Windows had better support for its own terminal commands for error diagnosis. How many freaking times have I seen some stupid vague-as-hell Windows error? And you better hope it's not a BSOD code which, for the same code oftentimes can be caused by multiple possible issues. With Linux? Run a command. Maybe run a few. Boom. There's the error source. You fix it and you're done, or at very least, you know what's causing it.

- That's popularity. I don't give a f*** about that. That's not what I'm talking about. lol I'm talking about core OS operations.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

- First of all, you know you can't escape the terminal entirely in Windows either, right? Wanna run a ping test? Too bad. You need to open command prompt and type in the command. Wanna uninstall some apps on Windows 10 that won't uninstall with the GUI? (By the way, that's another fun new Windows 10 regression for you.) You need to open Powershell and run commands. No other way to do it. Second of all, the terminal isn't actually some antique piece of crap that is horrible for everyone to use. I ACTUALLY WISH Windows had better support for its own terminal commands for error diagnosis. How many freaking times have I seen some stupid vague-as-hell Windows error? And you better hope it's not a BSOD code which, for the same code oftentimes can be caused by multiple possible issues. With Linux? Run a command. Maybe run a few. Boom. There's the error source. You fix it and you're done, or at very least, you know what's causing it.

First it's not Terminal in Windows, it's called Command Prompt. And I'm glad you finally realized this is not an 2005 thing. If going through Terminal and its booklet list of command for every single set up suits your favor then go for it. But for the most average users this is obviously nowhere nearly easy to use.

I'm afraid most of your claims over Linux are mere fantasies over a series of media hype over certain Distros, instead of real life experience spent maintaining the OS in the longer term.

- That's popularity. I don't give a f*** about that. That's not what I'm talking about. lol I'm talking about core OS operations.

And here's the fact that you tend to ignore:

Statistic wise, despite various gripes over mistakes made by Microsoft, users still overwhelmingly prefer Win10 over Win7 and Linux.

And I for one also find Win10 to be more efficient, reliable and comfortable to use than the other two, even with all my acknowledgement plus experience with modern Linux Distros. None of your points are proven facts to me.

You are free to choose which OS based on your preference that I agree, but please do stop forcing your hate over Windows 10 on top of us.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Vilin.8056 said:

First it's not Terminal in Windows, it's called Command Prompt. And I'm glad you finally realized this is not an 2005 thing. If going through Terminal and its booklet list of command for every single set up suits your favor then go for it. But for the most average users this is obviously nowhere nearly easy to use.

I'm afraid most of your claims over Linux are mere fantasies over a series of media hype over certain Distros, instead of real life experience spent maintaining the OS in the longer term.

And here's the fact that you tend to ignore:

Statistic wise, despite various gripes over mistakes made by Microsoft, users still overwhelmingly prefer Win10 over Win7 and Linux.

And I for one also find Win10 to be more efficient, reliable and comfortable to use than the other two, even with all my acknowledgement plus experience with modern Linux Distros. None of your points are proven facts to me.

You are free to choose which OS based on your preference that I agree, but please do stop forcing your hate over Windows 10 on top of us.

You claim to have experience with modern Linux distros but it honestly sounds like you're just talking out your a**. If you really were that experienced with modern Linux distros, you would know that the terminal isn't needed at all for many many tasks in Linux now, and especially basic ones. Further, command prompt, command line, CLI, terminal, whatever. Who cares. You know what I'm talking about.

41 minutes ago, Vilin.8056 said:

but please do stop forcing your hate over Windows 10 on top of us.

Apparently, talking about Windows 10's objective flaws is "forcing hate". The whole reason I launched into this thread though is because people were being WAY too dismissive with running older Windows OSes and were being told to "get with the times". I'm here to shut that down and say that, no, there really are many very good reasons to not run Windows 10.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

You claim to have experience with modern Linux distros but it honestly sounds like you're just talking out your a**. If you really were that experienced with modern Linux distros, you would know that the terminal isn't needed at all for many many tasks in Linux now, and especially basic ones. Further, command prompt, command line, CLI, terminal, whatever. Who cares. You know what I'm talking about.

Again read the Ubuntu forum, that's coming from the official site, not me.

53 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Apparently, talking about Windows 10's objective flaws is "forcing hate". The whole reason I launched into this thread though is because people were being WAY too dismissive with running older Windows OSes and were being told to "get with the times". I'm here to shut that down and say that, no, there really are many very good reasons to not run Windows 10.

Except most of what you said is baseless and never nearly as objective. Comments coming from a few players does not grants you the privilege to trash talk what the majority of people are using. And most importantly it is Microsoft that officially ceased all support on Windows 7, that makes it widely recognized as a dead OS.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3513998/windows-7-is-dead-how-to-stay-as-safe-as-possible-after-the-security-updates-stop.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-one-year-to-live,38435.html

https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-7-is-dead-upgrade-now

https://gizmodo.com/windows-7-is-officially-dead-so-you-really-need-to-upg-1840994054

If you so believe in Linus, even he made a video to suggest against sticking with the OS.

I'm gonna end my input here, as there is no longer any valid point to talk about and it's becoming apparent that it's more of a you-problem rather than an OS issue.

Edited by Vilin.8056

On 7/6/2021 at 2:45 PM, KrHome.1920 said:

Even with D912PXY, performance is way too low for my hardware.

4 hours ago, HappyHubris.1096 said:

Even with D912PXY, performance is way too low for my hardware.

What is your spec and have you tried dxvk? dxvk should be faster on AMD systems

What is your Cinebench R20 1T and MT?

Edited by Infusion.7149

26 minutes ago, HappyHubris.1096 said:

7700K and a 1080Ti.  More graphically challenging games maintain a higher frame rate, including other MMOs.

CPU matters more than GPU. I think everyone should ideally have a 400+ CB R20 single thread for decent performance in GW2.

You should try dxvk, it should help with 1% lows a bit if you aren't GPU bound. Make sure your Nvidia GPU has multithread on in drivers. Of course model limit and shadows/reflections are all CPU bound since GW2 was made before ray tracing hardware in GPUs.

11 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

CPU matters more than GPU. I think everyone should ideally have a 400+ CB R20 single thread for decent performance in GW2.

You should try dxvk, it should help with 1% lows a bit if you aren't GPU bound. Make sure your Nvidia GPU has multithread on in drivers. Of course model limit and shadows/reflections are all CPU bound since GW2 was made before ray tracing hardware in GPUs.

Why Cinebench?  Just ease of benchmarking?  I could use a faster CPU, but have no desire to rebuild at this time. The point is that a 2012 MMO shouldn't need nearly decade-later tech to run at an acceptable level.

I should try  DXVK but honestly don't feel like putting the time in after getting d912pxy working.

25 minutes ago, HappyHubris.1096 said:

The point is that a 2012 MMO shouldn't need nearly decade-later tech to run at an acceptable level.

Maybe gw2 is way ahead of its time with extensive resource consuming and breath taking graphics and scales interms of power only the future tech can handle as updates are released? 

okay... jk.. don't take it seriously

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HappyHubris.1096 said:

Why Cinebench?  Just ease of benchmarking?  I could use a faster CPU, but have no desire to rebuild at this time. The point is that a 2012 MMO shouldn't need nearly decade-later tech to run at an acceptable level.

I should try  DXVK but honestly don't feel like putting the time in after getting d912pxy working.

AFAIK GW2 doesn't seem to use AVX2 instructions or Intel CPUs would drop clocks far faster. Cinebench R20 favors high singlethreaded performance and has a memory usage similar to GW2. It also is widely used as a benchmark so it is easy to get baseline numbers for your chip.
CB R20 400+ 1T benchmark is around 5 years ago already if you overclock (i7-4770K all core locked @ 4.7GHz or so , or a current gen i7-7700K / i7-8700/ i7-9700K / i7-10900K / i7 , recent or current gen i3/i5, or any desktop Ryzen 2nd gen or newer).

CB R23  1000+ 1T benchmark is probably what I would aim for in the newer version (around 60% singlethread of the newest chips), judging by https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11/cinebench-r23-community-benchmarks/

From prior messing around with clocks I would say a 2nd or 3rd gen Intel chip from 2012 era needs to be overclocked to ~5GHz for GW2 specifically. Stock isn't going to cut it and those don't support AVX2 whatsoever (Haswell or 4th gen was first to support AVX2) if GW2 ever makes use of those instructionsets directly or indirectly (GPU driver). I remember some people trying to figure out why their newer CPUs were using AVX offsets (i.e. dropping clocks) and it turned out the Nvidia drivers use AVX.

If you recall system requirements were upped with Path of Fire, which was released 2017. While the minimum requirements are listed as Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz , Core i3 , and AMD Athlon 64 X2 I highly doubt you would be able to get playable framerates with CPU-bound settings turned up at all above the lowest possible. This holds true even if you have a newer chip that is thermally limited such as in a laptop (a desktop i7 and mobile chip constrained to 25-45W aren't going to have remotely the same all core performance).

dxvk is the same as d912pxy in that you just drop in the dll, chainload it if you need arcdps. Unlike d912pxy it has a full d93d implementation so it doesn't break on patches.

MMOs are similar to other genres that are CPU-bound such as strategy games (see Supreme Commander which was known as a CPU killer and Ashes of the Singularity which was more of a DX12 demo than a game).

Edited by Infusion.7149

7 hours ago, HappyHubris.1096 said:

The point is that a 2012 MMO shouldn't need nearly decade-later tech to run at an acceptable level.

Speaking of which, can anyone point to a modern DX12/Vulkan MMO that run better than GW2 with 150+ players on screen at once fighting each other?

Just wondering where we actually set the bar here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, GalenWolffit.3842 said:

Umm, ANet...  Dx 11.2 came out in 2013, Dx 12 came out in 2015 and was most recently updated in 2019.  Why "upgrade" to a graphics API almost as old as GW2 itself?  Why not just go for the latest?

Upgrading to DX12 would make a huge difference in minimum requirements, due to requiring a dx12 compatable video card, more older cards are compatable with dx11. Namely the bottom one on the requirement list the 8600GT can only use up to dx11.1. However why they can't just give us a choice is the weird part. Many games offer the ability to switch, even indie games....

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 5:25 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Speaking of which, can anyone point to a modern DX12/Vulkan MMO that run better than GW2 with 150+ players on screen at once fighting each other?

Just wondering where we actually set the bar here.

Sure, guild wars 2 when you use the dx12 proxy, runs way better.

7 hours ago, Narathkor.8541 said:

Upgrading to DX12 would make a huge difference in minimum requirements, due to requiring a dx12 compatable video card, more older cards are compatable with dx11. Namely the bottom one on the requirement list the 8600GT can only use up to dx11.1. However why they can't just give us a choice is the weird part. Many games offer the ability to switch, even indie games....

I suspect that could happen in the future...the choice thing, but doesn't that double the work? DX11 is a good start that gets them to the max amount of people. For one thing DX12 will require everyone to be on Win10.