Thank You for Gen 3 Legendaries

As others have stated, I am doubting this is the only "set".

Anet probably decided to make a set of weapons (resembling Black Lion skins) so that legendries for all weapon types will be available upon release. I'm willing to bet that Anet will be releasing other sets down the road. At the end of the day, it will be very similar to what we saw with Gen 2, except instead of waiting months and months for our weapon type to finally be released, we have the choice to grab one now, but only in the current style. So just imagine it is the same as Gen 2 legendries were, and the weapon for your character hasn't been released yet.

It is kinda a bummer about the lore aspect, as I am guessing every set will have the same Lore, "A weapon embued with the power of the Elder Dragon, Aurene, bestowed to her champion." or something.

Also, I hope the legendries will be easier to obtain as well, maybe less Mystic Coins. Maybe we craft them through Aurene and a quest/collection rather than dumping a load of shinnies down the djinn toilet. I'll probably end up reskinning it though since I hate super glowy/particle effect stuff, especially with it's current over abundance.

Edit: Legendary armory weapon issues should be refined though. Honestly, equipment templates should be cheaper as well considering they are per character and not per account.

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

What if this set could be one of many sets, as it was made efficiently as possible, maybe they could have a new set every 6 mo that could give variety? The only thing I hate about them all being the same is now I gotta figure out which one I want to choose to do.

For me its pretty simple the shield.

Dont favor either of the shields we got and one of the few gen 1 precursors I dont have already.

Missing sword, shield and dusk.

• Haha 1

I have to agree Gen3 legendary sucks its so auren is a important character of the story and they have a bound we already knew that if you complete the story its like the commander is obsessed with auren and don't wanna forget time they spend together and he want something on his hand that looks like her that cringe territory for me and you are killing the story again just like you did in Icebrood saga

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4

11 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

I had thought of making a legendary gen3 pistol for my gunslinger eod necro to be.  But after seeing them, I went meh and chose HOPE instead. Properly unique looking.  

Im trying to recall, what other pistols look like the gen 3 one? perhaps you can enlighten me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Im trying to recall, what other pistols look like the gen 3 one? perhaps you can enlighten me?

My issue stems from that the whole set is uninspired, and why I chose using HOPE as it stands out more. 

As already said, you look like a BLC set if you should happen to have every legendary you can use on a single char.  Compared to legendaries such as Astralaria, Binding of Ipos or Verdarach, those visibly stand out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Well, it is stated 'Sets', and not 'Set'. 

I'm guessing that's not a typo. 

Hey, not that I am against ANet releasing maybe 8 sets over the course of EoD and its acompanying LS/Saga/whatever. I hope this will be a thing. The one thing I don't like about the concept of releaseing legendaries in sets rather than individual skins is that it takes away the uniqueness of legendaries and places them, style wise, closer to the gemshop skins we're seeing like 10 sets per year.

It's just that they haven't said anything about more sets on the stream. They must have known, that changing Legendaries(going from individual skins per weapon to a set of 16 weapons) will cause some upheaval, giving the information that "more sets will be released later, don't worry" would have gone a long way to counter the negative reactions and I'm left with either 1) aknowledging that they simply didn't anticipate the backlash and the info about more sets coming out will be given at a later point or 2) accepting that they have not planned more sets, that's why nothing has been said about them.

One thing I've seen in comment sections and the likes is that the plural of "sets" on the release page of EoD could refer to a set of legendary skins and a set of precursor skins. But I'm not english-savy enough to decide that one...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

Hey, not that I am against ANet releasing maybe 8 sets over the course of EoD and its acompanying LS/Saga/whatever. I hope this will be a thing. The one thing I don't like about the concept of releaseing legendaries in sets rather than individual skins is that it takes away the uniqueness of legendaries and places them, style wise, closer to the gemshop skins we're seeing like 10 sets per year.

It's just that they haven't said anything about more sets on the stream. They must have known, that changing Legendaries(going from individual skins per weapon to a set of 16 weapons) will cause some upheaval, giving the information that "more sets will be released later, don't worry" would have gone a long way to counter the negative reactions and I'm left with either 1) aknowledging that they simply didn't anticipate the backlash and the info about more sets coming out will be given at a later point or 2) accepting that they have not planned more sets, that's why nothing has been said about them.

One thing I've seen in comment sections and the likes is that the plural of "sets" on the release page of EoD could refer to a set of legendary skins and a set of precursor skins. But I'm not english-savy enough to decide that one...

It certainly could be used to talk about the pre and legend skins. Two sets of skins afterall.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

In gen3 approach you might have ended up with neither Juggernaut nor bloodstone effect on any weapon, but instead with having to choose between dreamer or quip effects. On every single legendary weapon you might have crafted.

That's the whole issue here. If from a set of 16 legendaries you'd happen to like only 2-3 skins, the chances of Anet giving you a set you might like in gen3 approach aren't good. If they'd happen to accidentally match your desires, it's fine. But most likely they would not, and then you'd have no skin to pick from at all. To equal the chances of making something you might like from the gen1/2 approach they'd have to make 6-8 whole sets instead of one.

Although you are right on one point - it is indeed way cheaper approach than the old one.

Sure .. but what's the point of having a legendary you like the skin for ... and the class you like to play doesn't use that weapon? or it does use that weapon ... but you think the build is trash?

I mean, I think it's SLIGHTLY better this way than the old one, even though we get fewer theme per generation, we will likely get MORE generations over time. I'm even willing to bet we get one per map/LS episode. Also they won't have to create some of the more 'comical' themes like fishbowl and Galleon rifle. Those are just 🤮

Personally, I think the whole legendary 'weapons' game feature is no longer relevant with this new Gen 3 approach

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

For me, lengendary weapons should be dyeable. The main reason why I did not make more than 2 to this day, is simply because their colors and effects do not match the ones I like to use in my armors despite the extra utility that they have been adding. Dedicate so much effort, and then have to use another skin because its colors and effects do not combine well with the ones you like to use in your armors... well, for me is a deal breaker.

They are legendary weapons, make them dyeable, so you can customize its colors to match the ones you use in your armor.

Edited by Zoser.7245
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Sure .. but what's the point of having a legendary you like the skin for ... and the class you like to play doesn't use that weapon? or it does use that weapon ... but you think the build is trash?

Do you think that having no legendary with skin you like to choose at all, because there's only one theme and you happen to dislike it is better?

I mean, I think it's SLIGHTLY better this way than the old one, even though we get fewer themes.

You think so only because you happen to like the theme.

Also they won't have to create some of the more 'comical' themes like fishbowl and Galleon rifle. Those are just 🤮

Quite a number of people liked those a lot. Now they won't get what they liked, because, as you said, with gen3 approach there will never be such skins again. For you it's a gain, but for them it is a definite loss.

37 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Personally, I think the whole legendary 'weapons' game feature is no longer relevant with this new Gen 3 approach

Well, yes, precisely. Isn't that what the whole discussion is about? With the gen3 approach, those weapons no longer feel legendary at all.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Well, yes, precisely. Isn't that what the whole discussion is about? With the gen3 approach, those weapons no longer feel legendary at all.

I got the impression the whole discussion is about people not liking the same theme over 16 weapons.  They still 'feel' legendary, even if the theme isn't unique to one weapon ... or at least I think it is. What I'm saying there is that if they are making a theme, I would rather have access to the theme and no one specific weapon. Maybe it will work that way. 

It feels like lots of people have jumped to some conclusions about this set of legendaries because we have some precedent with how long it takes for a generation of legendaries to be released. I don't think that precedent will hold anymore. I'm betting we get many generations of legendaries in just one expansion cycle ... and they likely more appealing to craft since they aren't regulated to a single weapon. In fact, I'm betting based on some language used on the website, the expansion is released with more than one 'generation' (we need to not call these generations anymore ... they are themes) This way is better ... seriously. 

I'm even thinking that Anet might be able to create the SAME number of themes as Gen 2 over the same time as they did for gen 2 for this new approach ... I mean, that's a huge improvement. It's not like these Aurene themed legendaries is the ONLY theme we will get in 3 years. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I got the impression the whole discussion is about people not liking the same theme over 16 weapons.  They still 'feel' legendary, even if the theme isn't unique to one weapon ... or at least I think it is. What I'm saying there is that if they are making a theme, I would rather have access to the theme and no one specific weapon. Maybe it will work that way. 

It feels like lots of people have jumped to some conclusions about this set of legendaries because we have some precedent with how long it takes for a generation of legendaries to be released. I don't think that precedent will hold anymore. I'm betting we get many generations of legendaries in just one expansion cycle ... and they likely more appealing to craft since they aren't regulated to a single weapon. In fact, I'm betting based on some language used on the website, the expansion is released with more than one 'generation' (we need to not call these generations anymore ... they are themes) This way is better ... seriously. 

I don't make assumptions about Anet changing stuff without them actually mentioning something first that suggest it. If this new set is indeed an introduction to some changes in how Legendaries will be released in the future, then it might change the nature of the discussion we have now - but only after Anet says so. Until they do, i will assume that everything we haven;t been told about is still staying the same.

(and considering the backlash so far, if they did indeed plan on making such changes, i'd expect them to drop a note about it already - if they didn't, it's most likely because they do not have anything for their defence at all)

basically, this is a discussion about facts we know about at this moment. It's not about the discussion about potential directions for Anet to go (or not to go) in the undefined future.

• Like 2

I think anet should do log in polls/questions. If they want to get a good idea of player reaction and response then ask questions at the log in about gameplay or legendary or w/e. The forums are a small sample of people that play, you want real world numbers/data then ask at the log in about anything thats controversial or and implementation in game. 

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I don't make assumptions about Anet changing stuff without them actually mentioning something first that suggest it. If this new set is indeed an introduction to some changes in how Legendaries will be released in the future, then it might change the nature of the discussion we have now - but only after Anet says so. Until they do, i will assume that everything we haven;t been told about is still staying the same.

(and considering the backlash so far, if they did indeed plan on making such changes, i'd expect them to drop a note about it already - if they didn't, it's most likely because they do not have anything for their defence at all)

basically, this is a discussion about facts we know about at this moment. It's not about the discussion about potential directions for Anet to go (or not to go) in the undefined future.

There was a suggestion on the website somewhere that we are going to see SETS, plural and one of those is clearly the Aurene set. So what I'm saying isn't just some pure speculation and I have no motive to lie about it. I wish I could remember where I seen that, I would post the link.

Statistically, multiple themes across all weapons, even if there are fewer themes than previous generations, will be more engaging to players and more valuable as an asset to Anet than one theme per weapon. 

I stumbled upon this ... sums it up well enough (and includes the reference to the multiple sets in it)  

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 2

55 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

There was a suggestion on the website somewhere that we are going to see SETS, plural and one of those is clearly the Aurene set. So what I'm saying isn't just some pure speculation and I have no motive to lie about it. I wish I could remember where I seen that, I would post the link.

Statistically, multiple themes across all weapons, even if there are fewer themes than previous generations, will be more engaging to players and more valuable as an asset to Anet than one theme per weapon. 

I stumbled upon this ... sums it up well enough (and includes the reference to the multiple sets in it)  

Again, both you and WP are missing the fact that the website states "Up your arsenal with new spectacular sets of third generation legendary weapons and precursors." Here's the link:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/end-of-dragons/

Could we get multiple sets in this style? Sure. Do we have any indication that we will? None. Zero. It is pure speculation. Going off of what we have right now, Gen 3 legends are mono-themed. This is way less variety offered than a unique gen. People who want matching sets of weapons should look at BL sets.

• Like 3

I'd take an aurene themed mace any day over the moot or Eureka. Neither of those fit for my guardian.
Same thing goes for torch , but mainhand overrides offhand.

I can only see it being problematic for a dark themed necromancer (Frostfang + Ipos , Twilight, Xiquatl+Verdarach , Nevermore to an extent), thief , mesmer, revenant (more so condi ones running Eureka and Chuka), or something else that isn't normally dark/shadow themed.

Guardians (See Exordium/Sunrise, Meterologicus, Flameseeker Prophecies, Pharus, Minstrel, Juggernaut, Bifrost) , Elementalists (See Incinerator, Bolt, Shining Blade, Minstrel, Bifrost), most warriors (see Astralaria, Moot, Bolt/Shining Blade, Incinerator, Juggernaut , Flames of War/Rodgort), engineers (Shining Blade/Bolt, HOPE , Flameseeker Prophecies, Juggernaut , Predator), and probably most rangers (see Kudzu, Pharus, Astralaria , Exordium/Sunrise) should be fine.

It comes down to cost. If the price of the aurene themed set is comparable to gen 1 I think if you just want functionality and aren't a fan of the gen 1 legendary skin it could be a viable option if you want stat swapping.
Currently the majority of gen 1 weapons are well received , especially greatswords. It's mostly lacking in terms of shortbow (the annoying unicorn most people hate) , pistol (the annoying confetti popper ... good thing we have HOPE) , moot (disco ball doesn't work for most people) , torch (rodgort is polarizing but flames of war isn't well received). There's probably people using Kudzu on a condi berserker (which is out of place skin-wise), but for ranger / guardian it works fine.

See https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.key=skins&filter.type=Weapon&filter.rarity=7
gen 1 Greatswords are far more popular but moving past those...

• Frostfang 5.823% vs Astralaria 6.066% (considering this has a four step collection it means Astralaria is well received)
  • Dreamer 3.834% vs Chuka 3.744% (considering this has a four step collection this is extremely close)
  • Quip 2.854% vs HOPE 2.623% (considering this has a four step collection this is relatively close)
  • The Bifrost 9.818% vs Nevermore 7.387% (remember Nevermore has a four step collection)

• Bolt 10.414% vs Shining Blade 5.010% (~2x)
  • Incinerator 9.368% vs Claw of the Khan-Ur 0.840% (~11x)
  • Meteorlogicus 5.272% vs Xiuquatl 1.980% (~2.6x)
  • Flameseeker Prophecies 5.415% vs Shooshadoo 1.167% (~4.6x)
  • Kudzu 4.707% vs Pharus 1.734% (~2.7x)
  • The Moot 2.844% vs Eureka 1.323% (~2x)
  • Minstrel 2.774% vs The Binding of Ipos 3.378% --- the other gen 2 legendary that exceeds gen 1 uptake
  • Rodgort 3.341% vs Flames of War 0.466% (~7x)
  • Howler 3.493% vs Verdarach 0.920% (~3.8X , this is easier to make than Chuka as well)
  • Juggernaut 4.826% vs Sharur 0.423% (~11x), basically a failure on gen 2 since it's a mainhand I have never seen one ingame
  • The Predator 4.582% vs The HMS Divinity 0.423% (~11x) , basically a failure on gen 2 since it's a mainhand; I only know one person that has one and never seen it in use
Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Flapjackson.1596 said:

Again, both you and WP are missing the fact that the website states "Up your arsenal with new spectacular sets of third generation legendary weapons and precursors." Here's the link:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/end-of-dragons/

Could we get multiple sets in this style? Sure. Do we have any indication that we will? None. Zero. It is pure speculation. Going off of what we have right now, Gen 3 legends are mono-themed. This is way less variety offered than a unique gen. People who want matching sets of weapons should look at BL sets.

Um, that's literally wrong based on the fact they purposefully put the 's' at the end of Set in that statement to indicate that in FACT, we will get multiple sets (themes) for legendary weapons across all weapons. The question isn't IF we get multiples, it's how many. We AREN'T going to get multiple 'sets' in the 'Aurene' style, because the Aurene style is ONE style.

I get it, you want a whole bunch of unique themes, EVEN if it's a single weapon that gets them that gives the HIGH probability you might not like it or might not be able to use it on a preferred class. That model NEVER made any sense statistically if you consider the work and the player coverage of desirability. It's entirely reasonable Anet made this change because Gen1 and 2 are simply too restrictive to make those weapons desirable to enough people given the work that goes into making them. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Infusion.7149 said:

I'd take an aurene themed mace any day over the moot or Eureka. Neither of those fit for my guardian.
Same thing goes for torch , but mainhand overrides offhand.

I can only see it being problematic for a dark themed necromancer (Frostfang + Ipos , Twilight, Xiquatl+Verdarach , Nevermore to an extent), thief , mesmer, revenant (more so condi ones running Eureka and Chuka), or something else that isn't normally dark/shadow themed.

Guardians (See Exordium/Sunrise, Meterologicus, Flameseeker Prophecies, Pharus, Minstrel, Juggernaut, Bifrost) , Elementalists (See Incinerator, Bolt, Shining Blade, Minstrel, Bifrost), most warriors (see Astralaria, Moot, Bolt/Shining Blade, Incinerator, Juggernaut , Flames of War/Rodgort), engineers (Shining Blade/Bolt, HOPE , Flameseeker Prophecies, Juggernaut , Predator), and probably most rangers (see Kudzu, Pharus, Astralaria , Exordium/Sunrise) should be fine.

It comes down to cost. If the price of the aurene themed set is comparable to gen 1 I think if you just want functionality and aren't a fan of the gen 1 legendary skin it could be a viable option if you want stat swapping.
Currently the majority of gen 1 weapons are well received , especially greatswords. It's mostly lacking in terms of shortbow (the annoying unicorn most people hate) , pistol (the annoying confetti popper ... good thing we have HOPE) , moot (disco ball doesn't work for most people) , torch (rodgort is polarizing but flames of war isn't well received). There's probably people using Kudzu on a condi berserker (which is out of place skin-wise), but for ranger / guardian it works fine.

See https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.key=skins&filter.type=Weapon&filter.rarity=7
gen 1 Greatswords are far more popular but moving past those...

• Frostfang 5.823% vs Astralaria 6.066% (considering this has a four step collection it means Astralaria is well received)
  • Dreamer 3.834% vs Chuka 3.744% (considering this has a four step collection this is extremely close)
  • Quip 2.854% vs HOPE 2.623% (considering this has a four step collection this is relatively close)
  • The Bifrost 9.818% vs Nevermore 7.387% (remember Nevermore has a four step collection)

• Bolt 10.414% vs Shining Blade 5.010% (~2x)
  • Incinerator 9.368% vs Claw of the Khan-Ur 0.840% (~11x)
  • Meteorlogicus 5.272% vs Xiuquatl 1.980% (~2.6x)
  • Flameseeker Prophecies 5.415% vs Shooshadoo 1.167% (~4.6x)
  • Kudzu 4.707% vs Pharus 1.734% (~2.7x)
  • The Moot 2.844% vs Eureka 1.323% (~2x)
  • Minstrel 2.774% vs The Binding of Ipos 3.378% --- the other gen 2 legendary that exceeds gen 1 uptake
  • Rodgort 3.341% vs Flames of War 0.466% (~7x)
  • Howler 3.493% vs Verdarach 0.920% (~3.8X , this is easier to make than Chuka as well)
  • Juggernaut 4.826% vs Sharur 0.423% (~11x), basically a failure on gen 2 since it's a mainhand I have never seen one ingame
  • The Predator 4.582% vs The HMS Divinity 0.423% (~11x) , basically a failure on gen 2 since it's a mainhand; I only know one person that has one and never seen it in use

I'd imagine, for the most part, there would be more Gen 1 Legendary weapons owned than Gen 2 because they have been around much longer, and many players, having created the first, have no desire (or funds, maybe) to create another of the same type.  There's probably a lot of players that only have 1 or 2 Legendary weapons. But, few players that have more than 1 of the same type.

Personally, I didn't need two Legendary torches.  And, of course, now more than ever with the Legendary Armory. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
clarity

34 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Um, that's literally wrong based on the fact they purposefully put the 's' at the end of Set in that statement to indicate that in FACT, we will get multiple sets (themes) for legendary weapons across all weapons. The question isn't IF we get multiples, it's how many. We AREN'T going to get multiple 'sets' in the 'Aurene' style, because the Aurene style is ONE style.

I get it, you want a whole bunch of unique themes, EVEN if it's a single weapon that gets them that gives the HIGH probability you might not like it or might not be able to use it on a preferred class. That model NEVER made any sense statistically if you consider the work and the player coverage of desirability. It's entirely reasonable Anet made this change because Gen1 and 2 are simply too restrictive to make those weapons desirable to enough people given the work that goes into making them. 

There's no evidence of multiple sets and it's coping to say otherwise. They can add more in the future if they wish. Feel free to reach out to them for clarification if you can't accept that. Your argument that Unique sets are worse is fair if a player only cares about a single weapon. For anyone who wants to make more than one weapon, a weapon set that is unappealing is unappealing for EVERY WEAPON. It's far worse. I'm tired of repeating this point to you. Anet made this change to make it easier to develop legendary weapons, and you are again welcome to ask them to clarify their rationale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flapjackson.1596 said:

There's no evidence of multiple sets ...

Well, if you REALLY want to ignore the direct statement from Anet said indicates the contrary to what you said here ... sure ... believe what you like I guess. 

My argument here is simply that I can read and comprehend things I read, Anet has made a statement about 'sets' of legendary weapons ...  and also the reason that I don't see why Anet would lie about that. I guess that's pretty weak argument to you ... but most people are going to be reasonable here ... /shrug

I don't need to ask Anet to clarify their rational ... it's obvious this makes more sense to Anet to get more value from the assets they put in the game AND to give players high probability of being interested in crafting a Legendary weapon they like AND can use. I don't need you to repeat your points to me if you are tired of it ... go have a nap if I'm making you tired.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I'd imagine, for the most part, there would be more Gen 1 Legendary weapons owned than Gen 2 because they have been around much longer, and many players, having created the first, have no desire (or funds, maybe) to create another of the same type.  There's probably a lot of players that only have 1 or 2 Legendary weapons. But, few players that have more than 1 of the same type.

Personally, I didn't need two Legendary torches.  And, of course, now more than ever with the Legendary Armory. 

Yeee, the resource cost alone for Gen 2 weapons is...a huge turn off. I have 4 gen 2s(Scepter, Pistol, Sword, Dagger) and of those the only one i own more than 1 Gen 1 weapon is the pistol(i made 2 quips for twice told.). I dont know if im going to finish Astralaria or the Focus for Gen 2 due to the resource sink nature of them.

7 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

"Anet made this change to make it easier to develop legendary weapons,..."

Sounds like they will be making more Legendary Weapon sets, then.  😲

Does it? Because to me it just means they will spend less dev resources on legendaries. Possibly to use more on Black Lion weapon sets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1