We have the opportunity to grow the game's popularity by being an example of united community and promoting the game

Guild Wars 2 lacks proper momentum on social medias. Twitter is barebones at best. 

The most successful MMOS have very dedicated communities outside the game. Wow, FF XIV, ESO...

I'm talking about the  community here, as Arenanet's communication is another topic (and  they are shifting drastically at that)

We need to increase our presence on twitter and forums.

We need to increase our presence on forums and give valuable feedback to the team.

We need to spread the word.

I'm aware most of the people do NOT care enough. But for those who do, even as individuals, we can do some good for the game, and to secure a bright future for Guild Wars 2

Am I delusional? Probably.

Will I try my best to promote and lift the community and game? Definitely.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 6

if your server happens to be linked with Tarnished Coast and you wanna take some rest from doing PvE or whatever, hop in World versus World wait for Team Chat to be a lexical battlefield, exposition or just someone spewing out things that you won't even find in the dark web..

the lexical battlefield is sort of like the old school MUD games..

so going back to the old school..

Edited by alcopaul.2156

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

So now I don’t care about the game because I don’t really have the time to advocate on Twitter? You for real? 

What? Where did I say that? Sorry I meant not everyone Has to care to bother promoting and such! 

Sorry 😞

• Like 9

But the community is not united. It is full of toxic "if you do not like how the game has become just leave" crowd who I guess only loves the world boss train.  Pvp, wvw, and raid'ers have constantly been neglected, and over monitized (warclaw and build templates). I am in a sunk cost fallacy, I would not recommend someone else to fall into it.

Those games at least try to cater to all playerbases. All 3 game listed still releases dungeons and raids, gw2 has gotten 1 fractal in 2 years. Anet keep wasting time on making new systems that fail (strikes and drms) instead building on systems they already have.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

Currently the best place to reach an audience is Youtube. There's been a sort of influx of players trying Guild Wars 2 recently and being surprised they like the game and it's existing community. You should go have a look. Just put Guild Wars 2 in 2021 in the search.
Twitter is gross and I will never go there, sorry.

• Like 4

I'm not really active on any socal media accounts, however I do agree that we should spread the word guild wars 2 is a way better game compared to wow, eso etc, I'm with you and will do what i can I'm already trying to do as much as i can in YouTube comments, i love the game and really want to see it become a titan if there is anything i can do I'm with you

• Like 3

1) I don' t think the community is toxic the great people I have met in GW2 far out weight the few jerks

2) If you do social media and want to promote the game that's great but I don't do any social media besides discord and stalking  readdit. I may not be the majority but I suspect I am not alone

3) I don't even know who this Asmagod person is or why I need to. Lol. I do follow cellofrag cause he talks about a game I do play. 

4)  Everyone should promote the game to keep it alive but there are other ways for us introvert types like just being helpful and kind to other players new and old. 

• Like 3

I just wish some of the 40K+ AP players with 10K+ hours and an EOD preorder would stop acting like they are forced to play this game. Those players badmouthing the game when they basically eked every last bit of it is an absolute terrible attitude to have.

The same goes for so-called casual players that don't do anything but the story (so they play it like a single player RPG with openworld metas as the only "group" content), log in for living world , blow through it and claim there is "nothing to do , ded gaem" when they don't do raids, fractals, WvW, or PVP.

Both ends of the spectrum are equally detrimental to the game's healthiness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

the issue I find with this idea of OP is that as far as my experience goes, "community" of this game has that very interesting split that there is alot of folks that are super nice in game and on certain discord servers, but when you try to peek at official forums, or reddit and suddeny here are all those toxic people I never meet in-game 😉

So in short - online presence of this game's community is bad, and trying to extend it to further platforms may backfire in a form of making people believe whole community is like that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

The same goes for so-called casual players that don't do anything but the story (so they play it like a single player RPG with openworld metas as the only "group" content), log in for living world , blow through it and claim there is "nothing to do , ded gaem" when they don't do raids, fractals, WvW, or PVP.

I think I'm more in the casual category. I mostly do the story and open world stuff, I never do raids, fractals or PvP, but there were times when I did WvW. But I myself never claimed that there is nothing to do just because I don't do that type of content. I don't understand the people that complain about it, there's plenty of stuff to do in-game even if you're not into raids, PvP etc.

Also I never realy understood why people (be it people with 10k hours or with less) still play this game if all they do is complain about it. I look on the forum every day and I see people complaining and saying how bad the game is. Maybe this game isn't for them and they should find something else. I mean when I stopped playing other MMOs because I disliked things, I didn't go on the forums and didn't demand for the respective companies to modify their game just because I want them to fit my needs.

48 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

the issue I find with this idea of OP is that as far as my experience goes, "community" of this game has that very interesting split that there is alot of folks that are super nice in game and on certain discord servers, but when you try to peek at official forums, or reddit and suddeny here are all those toxic people I never meet in-game 😉

So in short - online presence of this game's community is bad, and trying to extend it to further platforms may backfire in a form of making people believe whole community is like that.

Yeah, unfortunately if you look on forums, Reddit etc. most of the presence is that of toxic people, while in-game most people are nice and friendly. Again, never understood why those people are still playing the game if all they do is complain. Usually people that complain will never be satisfied no matter what the company does and would want the game to be a clone of any other general MMO.

People wanted an expansion, they got an expansion (which is also cheap, 30 euros), but now they're complaining they don't like how the buildings look, they don't like the features, they don't like anything.

People got Legendary Armory, yet people are now complaining that they don't like the legendary armory.

Some people will complain no matter what and they will never be satisfied.

Now about OP's initiative, it's a very good one since the game isn't as promoted as other games/MMOs, but it shouldn't be done on places like forums etc because of the reasons mentioned above. Best places would be Youtube (I've already seen people making videos on Guild Wars 2 and there are many positive comments on them), Facebook and Twitter (well, if you have a social media account). Maybe on Discord if you are on a gaming community server?

Personally I tried to get my friends into Guild Wars 2 as well, but unfortunatelly it didn't work (most of them are into MMOs that constantly feed you with new gear every few months instead of horizontal progression like GW2 has).

But just because my attempts fail, doesn't mean other attempts will also fail. Try asking friends to try the game and if they like it, for them to spread the word about the game/have other people try it?

Edited by Crono.4197
  • Like 4

Can someone explain what promoting the game on social media would involve?

I assume for Youtube and similar sites it's either streamers or people making video guides, but what about things like Facebook and Twitter? How would someone go about promoting GW2 there?

I don't think me posting about it on Facebook would do any good because all my friends and family already know I play it and most of them don't care, the ones who are interested don't need me telling them again. Twitter I mainly use for music news, again most of the people following me are my friends and not the type of people who are likely to be interested. So even if I wanted to do it I can't see how it would achieve anything useful.

WoW didn't get popular from social media. It got popular from having stuff to do, socially, collectively, with clear progression.

GW2 is a mess. A bunch of nobody accounts tweeting and twitchering about it won't change that.

It doesn't have progression (please don't throw around the term "horizontal" in response).

It isn't social -- in fact it's anti social. It's a single player online game with other people in the world to see your expensive hats. 

So the game appeals to an extremely small portion of people who want to play games like this. Large tracts of the community are neglected and siphoned off month by month, and every new player is put off by the god awful core side of the game, with its ahoddy story, repetitive "heart" system, and locked up mechanics (press #1 for the first few levels? and then unlock skill #2? wtf is this system).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4

27 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

Also I never realy understood why people (be it people with 10k hours or with less) still play this game if all they do is complain about it. I look on the forum every day and I see people complaining and saying how bad the game is. Maybe this game isn't for them and they should find something else. I mean when I stopped playing other MMOs because I disliked things, I didn't go on the forums and didn't demand for the respective companies to modify their game just because I want them to fit my needs.

Ive been on this, and other game forumes alot, and its something that is present on every forum.

For alot of folks theyve invested so much time they dont want to start a new game, and want this one to change.

For some they want the game to be in their opinion better, but they dont know.

For others they lover to complain.

In the end though, the forums and reddit are a place to give feedback, good and bad. 

people who always defend anet/gw2 regardless of whats been said and people who always criticize every aspect of the game dont do any good for the game at large.

Now. Personally im im the almost 10k hour crowd. But i only have 22.6k ap.

I do raids/strikes/fractals dungeons.

I do open world(alot).

I dabble in pvp, but not in ranked.

I dabble in wvw but not with the zerg.

Most of my missing ap comes from dailies(~8.5k ap).

The majority otherwise from competitve.(id have to do the math here.)

But for open world? Im missing less than 1500 AP total.

Raids/fractals im not sure on anymore.

So, while i have stuff to do, im getting close to maxing out on the two modes i do the most, and well. I wont be becoming a wvw/pvp main.

Least we have the expansion coming and hopefully another LWS after, cause i need more ap sources!

• Like 1

Promoting the game on social media just involves speaking about it, answering new player questions that uses the #GW2 and #GUILDWARS2 hashtags

Watch, comment, subscribe to GW2 content on youtube

Spread the word on forums like steam or reddit

Create momentum basically. No brigading, just honest interaction 🙂

I got some negative answers but also some very positive ones, thank you guys 🙂

A little effort can go a long way

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LSD.4673 said:

Large tracts of the community are neglected and siphoned off month by month, and every new player is put off by the god awful core side of the game, with its ahoddy story, repetitive "heart" system, and locked up mechanics (press #1 for the first few levels? and then unlock skill #2? wtf is this system).

Please cite your source for these claims.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Well, aside from the bit about core(though i agree with how bleh it is only having a weapon skill or 2 unlocked) and losing players(really how do you prove this?)

PVP and WVW are pretty neglected. Raids too.

Least wvw is getting alliances "soonTM"

Not sure those modes bring in enough to warrant further development though.

Now. Are players being siphoned off? Maybe. Those who expected GW2 to be a traditional MMO more than likely arent staying.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Crono.4197 said:

Again, never understood why those people are still playing the game if all they do is complain. Usually people that complain will never be satisfied no matter what the company does and would want the game to be a clone of any other general MMO.

People wanted an expansion, they got an expansion (which is also cheap, 30 euros), but now they're complaining they don't like how the buildings look, they don't like the features, they don't like anything.

People got Legendary Armory, yet people are now complaining that they don't like the legendary armory.

Some people will complain no matter what and they will never be satisfied.

- People and people are probably not the same peepoos. 

- People with 10k hours likes the game, and probably wants it to get better. 

/shrug 🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why, is this a dissertation or a forum?

The neglect is well established.

WvW is bereft of veterans who've moved on to other games. The exodus of PvPers happened when GMs stopped dealing adequately with bot spam. FFXIVXIIX has taken a big chunk of GW2's playerbase.

And as for new players...you need only look at 3rd party forums. It's been the same way since the game's release, only back then you had players asking what the hell they were supposed to do at end game, while die-hards derisively told them to go replay Queensdale.

The good that's in the game is neglected, and has been appropriated by other games. What remains is hard to find. And due to the antisocial nature of the game, it won't be found in in-game communities, but rather on the external wiki. Never mind "traditional" MMO: when a new player asks a question and gets no response from the barren map chat, they don't stick around...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6