Thief will be dead when EoD launches

NorthernRedStar.3054

10 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

I been begging for Ricochet back for years and Necro just got 100% bounce on it's Pistol AA, jesus.... FML, this is exhausting. 

Ricochet was the exact reason I completely stopped playing thief.
Maaan, tough time for thieves.
Ricochet is back... on necros.
Daredevil got buffed as hell... on guardians.

I'm so glad I've mained an ele since then... wait.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

There's 0 reason to take thief ANYWHERE, except maybe cheesing in WvW. Other classes will be doing what thief has done so far, much better and more reliably.

While I prefer not to make assumptions about the principles and priorities of the dev team, it does seem like they just don’t really know what to do with Thief outside of some vague genre staples like stealth and mobility.

More damning: it seems as if they genuinely don’t care much for the profession and included it only because it was likely mandated due to being a MMO standard (i.e., there needs to be a “rogue” type class). I can imagine it would be tiring to have to go to work everyday and develop a thing you don’t believe in and don’t care for very much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, shrew.3059 said:

While I prefer not to make assumptions about the principles and priorities of the dev team, it does seem like they just don’t really know what to do with Thief outside of some vague genre staples like stealth and mobility.

More damning: it seems as if they genuinely don’t care much for the profession and included it only because it was likely mandated due to being a MMO standard (i.e., there needs to be a “rogue” type class). I can imagine it would be tiring to have to go to work everyday and develop a thing you don’t believe in and don’t care for very much.

Which would be fine, but then they keep giving typically rogue mechanics to other classes. I could understand not wanting to work on it because they don't like the rogue class, but working on rogue mechanics for other classes just seems backwards if that's their motivation. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

"they're kinda like an assassin and the whole thing is that they get in there quickly and are the first one to strike"

This is the biggest FU from the devs to thiefs I've seen in a long time...

Lol, pretty much. 

At this point it might be better to just accept that the elite specs are not just going to be new ways to play the class, but just new classes without having to level. Might temper the disappointment when things that are clearly thief toys keep getting handed put to other classes. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

Which would be fine, but then they keep giving typically rogue mechanics to other classes. I could understand not wanting to work on it because they don't like the rogue class, but working on rogue mechanics for other classes just seems backwards if that's their motivation. 

It’s hard to know what their motivations are because the class design seems a little scattershot and we are not always privy to their grand plans. It would be helpful if the devs were open and honest about how they want the classes to feel and play, which involves dispelling a little of the magic. But at least it would help players to frame expectations, e.g., “We see Thieves as a primarily mobile, stealthy PvP profession, that can roam-decap and disrupt team fights. We don’t plan on improving its instanced PvE performance because that’s just not what we think the profession is about; it should be serviceable there, but never meta.”

Edited by shrew.3059

1 hour ago, DragonSlayer.1087 said:

plot twist: Teef will now steal health from foes to heal their allies. Vampire Healer. 🤡

This is the only way I see out of this: if Guardian borrows from Thief, Thief will have to borrow from Guardian. Anything less will feel like an underperforming profession has been looted by a better performing profession.

• Like 3

They've gutted this profession's mobility and utility in the name of game balance by jacking up initiative costs, reducing stealth duration, and adding delays before you can use stealth attacks and things like that to the point where the rhythm and flow of playing the class is no longer there and the class feels clunky to play and unpolished compared to others.

Now they are adding ridiculous amounts of mobility to other specs??  There is absolutely no excuse for the nerfs now when all of this mobility is being added to so many other specs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

I been begging for Ricochet back for years and Necro just got 100% bounce on it's Pistol AA, jesus.... FML, this is exhausting. 

Hey, I feel your pain. The warriors have a omnibus change request thread for warrior skills and traits. A number of our ideas got taken from that thread and given to the Willbender.

2 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Hey, I feel your pain. The warriors have a omnibus change request thread for warrior skills and traits. A number of our ideas got taken from that thread and given to the Willbender.

It's starting to get to a point where it feels like Necromancer and Guardian are the only classes Aret gives a flying crap about. So if you're not a Necromancer or a Guardian, fully expect your class to be neglected, ignored, or ruined.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Keitaro Dragonheart.9047 said:

It's starting to get to a point where it feels like Necromancer and Guardian are the only classes Aret gives a flying crap about. So if you're not a Necromancer or a Guardian, fully expect your class to be neglected, ignored, or ruined.

You should go read the depression circle that is the warrior forums this week.

Moral is pretty down. If the new warrior espec isn't powerful I think half the warrior mains will just reroll as Willbenders.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

You should go read the depression circle that is the warrior forums this week.

Moral is pretty down. If the new warrior espec isn't powerful I think half the warrior mains will just reroll as Willbenders.

I know your pain. Thief, Mesmer, and Warrior are my three favorite classes. Watching all three of them get nerfed, gutted, and/or neglected for years has taken its toll. I'm at the point now where I'm actively expecting their EoD Elite Specs to be disappointing, so when they're revealed, and they are, then I won't be let down. Or surprised. 🙂

Edited by Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

1 hour ago, Keitaro Dragonheart.9047 said:

I know your pain. Thief, Mesmer, and Warrior are my three favorite classes. Watching all three of them get nerfed, gutted, and/or neglected for years has taken its toll. I'm at the point now where I'm actively expecting their EoD Elite Specs to be disappointing, so when they're revealed, and they are, then I won't be let down. Or surprised. 🙂

Sad but true.

2 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Maybe this is all a money scheme and they're finally going to release class change items in gem store?

15 minutes ago, CratZII.5872 said:

thiefs are very unfun in wvw and always flee from the fight so it's just tedious to try to roam with anything else. I'm glad if thief becomes useless. Good riddance

It's always amusing when the anti-thief care bears come into the Thief forums and rage. Your deep-seated hatred of a video game character suggests you need professional help. It's both sad, and funny at the same time.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, CratZII.5872 said:

thiefs are very unfun in wvw and always flee from the fight so it's just tedious to try to roam with anything else. I'm glad if thief becomes useless. Good riddance

You’re upset that when you are wandering around in a competitive player-versus-player game mode, other players try to fight you and don’t make it easy by playing their class as it was designed?

Would it be better if they just stood there and let you hit them until they exploded like a badge piñata?

1 minute ago, shrew.3059 said:

You’re upset that when you are wandering around in a competitive player-versus-player game mode, other players try to fight you and don’t make it easy by playing their class as it was designed?

Would it be better if they just stood there and let you hit them until they exploded like a badge piñata?

No other class is frustrating even if its played as designed. Atleast against them you actually have a fight going both ways, Against thief you never really even get to see your opponent.

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Keitaro Dragonheart.9047 said:

It's always amusing when the anti-thief care bears come into the Thief forums and rage. Your deep-seated hatred of a video game character suggests you need professional help. It's both sad, and funny at the same time.

Amusing seeing this forum cry about new guardian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CratZII.5872 said:

Amusing seeing this forum cry about new guardian

Unlike you and your crying about thief (your tears are delicious btw), there are legitimate reasons why thief players are upset about Willbender. 

As a matter of fact, I sincerely hope whatever Thief gets as an Elite is even more "annoying" and "frustrating". Harvesting the salt mines will be a very enjoyable experience. 💗

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CratZII.5872 said:

No other class is frustrating even if its played as designed. Atleast against them you actually have a fight going both ways, Against thief you never really even get to see your opponent.

Different fights have different dynamics and counterplays. Stealth is frustrating but so is having your attacks blocked by Aegis spam, or having a limited source of Stability when other professions have multiple.

This isn’t a call to nerf other classes, but Stealth is how Thieves survive because they are designed to engage-disengage. They are not duellists that can just stay in melee indefinitely. A good Thief is hard to beat, but that’s true of any profession.