The new elite spec should focus on chemicals

Kodama.6453

Looking at the 2 elite spec we already have, we got the following thematics covered already:

• mechanical (Gyros)
  • electricity (Lightning fields and electric hammer abilities)
  • heat
  • lasers
  • holograms
  • Asuran tech (yes, Holomancy is primarily Asuran technology)

Personally, I really enjoy the chemical aspects of the engineer. Using elixirs and such, but also the offensive uses of chemistry like acids, poison gases.... Unfortunately, we don't have an elite spec yet that represents this. Even worse, many aspects of the engineer which used these thematics got removed from the game over time. The only acid related ability in the game currently is Acid Bomb from the Elixir Gun. The traits Acidic Coating and Acidic Elixirs are gone....

I think Alchemy is one of the major aspects of the Engineer and I hope that the next elite spec will give me the ability to play a chemical madman.

@Infusion.7149 said:If there's a new elite spec it's most likely condi. Holo is mostly power, scrapper is support generally.

Scrapper also is pretty restricted to power, since all their tankiness comes from getting barriers through the strike damage they deal. So yes, giving us a condi spec makes the most sense. Which also naturally feeds back into my wish for a chemical thematic, since these 2 just mesh very well together.Applying alot of poison and burning through chemicals would feel natural.

I feel that they would be focusing on bleeding + poison and maybe confusion, since burning is applied by flamethrower, pistol 4 (blowtorch), bomb 2, and the firearms traitlinre. Bleeding actually has more synergy with firearms.

If you look at pistol and elixir gun + grenades/toolkit it's more likely a new spec uses bleed+poison with confusion on skill 3 or higher cooldown slots.

@UNOwen.7132 said:I mean, thats what Alchemy is for. Personally, Id like the new spec to be either about creating automata or power suits. But that is probably too Asuran tech after we just had Holosmith. Maybe some kind of biological engineering with a Sylvari slant?

Alchemy used to be for this. I am mostly talking about chemical warfare here. Which isn't represented in Alchemy anymore at all, all Alchemy traits and the Elixirs are basically solely supportive in nature now.

Every aggressive usage of chemicals got removed from the Alchemy trait line. Acidic Elixirs? Gone. Acidic Coating? Gone. Deadly Mixture (improving Flamethrower and Elixir Gun damage)? Gone.

I think chemical warfare is not that well represented right now in the engineer, but it definitely should.And like you said, I don't really like to add automata or power suits since it would give us more Asuran technology. Also we already have the mechanical and the scifi thematics covered.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@UNOwen.7132 said:I mean, thats what Alchemy is for. Personally, Id like the new spec to be either about creating automata or power suits. But that is probably too Asuran tech after we just had Holosmith. Maybe some kind of biological engineering with a Sylvari slant?

Alchemy
used
to be for this. I am mostly talking about chemical warfare here. Which isn't represented in Alchemy anymore at all, all Alchemy traits and the Elixirs are basically solely supportive in nature now.

Every aggressive usage of chemicals got removed from the Alchemy trait line. Acidic Elixirs? Gone. Acidic Coating? Gone. Deadly Mixture (improving Flamethrower and Elixir Gun damage)? Gone.

I think chemical warfare is not that well represented right now in the engineer, but it definitely should.And like you said, I don't really like to add automata or power suits since it would give us more Asuran technology. Also we already have the mechanical and the scifi thematics covered.

I mean, the thing is that chemical warfare is already represented in the elixir gun, the flamethrower and (arguably) the pistols. A new traitline that is seperate from all of those would make fairly little sense.

True, but we also kinda have the chemical side covered. Its bio-engineering that we dont have at all. But Im also not sure how youd represent bio-engineering in a GW2 context.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Alchemy
used
to be for this. I am mostly talking about chemical warfare here. Which isn't represented in Alchemy anymore at all, all Alchemy traits and the Elixirs are basically solely supportive in nature now.

I mean, the thing is that chemical warfare is already represented in the elixir gun, the flamethrower and (arguably) the pistols. A new traitline that is seperate from all of those would make fairly little sense.

True, but we also kinda have the chemical side covered. Its bio-engineering that we dont have at all. But Im also not sure how youd represent bio-engineering in a GW2 context.

The thing is, how much is it represented. Chemical warfare is represented in Elixir Gun, Pistols, Flamethrower. This is really not that much, if you think about it.

Look at the thematical representation offered by the Scrapper. He has Gyros, which used to be mechanical units summoned by him, just like we already had with turrets. They are wells now, but their visual representation is still the engineer constructing mechanical devices.Then he also has electricity in his theme through lightning fields and alot of electric abilities on the hammer. Electricity is thematically already representated as well. A.E.D. and it's toolbelt skill Static Shock, the trait Static Discharge, Static Shot from the pistol, Static Shield (shield spell obviously).

As someone else pointed out in this thread here:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/100273/thematic-opportunities-for-the-third-wave-of-elite-specializations#latestAll the existing elite specs can be seen as an evolution of some of the core thematics. Meaning that a new elite spec could represent an evolution of the alchemy theme from the engineer. Not completely the same like the Alchemy line, but building up on thematics here.

@Kodama.6453 said:

Alchemy
used

The thing is, how much is it represented. Chemical warfare is represented in Elixir Gun, Pistols, Flamethrower. This is really not that much, if you think about it.

Look at the thematical representation offered by the Scrapper. He has Gyros, which used to be mechanical units summoned by him, just like we already had with turrets. They are wells now, but their visual representation is still the engineer constructing mechanical devices.Then he also has electricity in his theme through lightning fields and alot of electric abilities on the hammer. Electricity is thematically already representated as well. A.E.D. and it's toolbelt skill Static Shock, the trait Static Discharge, Static Shot from the pistol, Static Shield (shield spell obviously).

As someone else pointed out in this thread here:
All the existing elite specs can be seen as an evolution of some of the core thematics. Meaning that a new elite spec could represent an evolution of the alchemy theme from the engineer. Not completely the same like the Alchemy line, but building up on thematics here.

Hm. Yeah that makes sense, I suppose. I personally hope its not alchemy, because I dont like condi engineer very much, but I can see it happening.

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:no, it shouldn't.two words: golem ai.i'll let you stew over that.

We already got Holosmith as a "Asuran technology" elite spec. I don't want another one....Also we already have an AI mechanic, turrets. They tried to give us another one with Gyros, but it failed.

I don't think chemicals would fit engineer too well, they already have elixirs in the core profession anyway. I would like engineers to get a viable healing/support role, with a bit of magic mixed with technology. Since we're going to Cantha, what about...

Monk elite specialization for the engineer

Assuming we don't get any new professions, GW1 monks haven't been brought back yet. Modern Canthan monks could have embraced technology, specially after they were so useless against Shiro's plague of afflicted. So yeah, engineer monks would be something like this:

• Mechanic: A robotic servo pet, carrying medic tools. Like a walking medic table of sorts.
  • Weapon: Staff, including a few magical spells, and bonus command orders for the pet.
  • Slot skills: Wells, AoE support.

That would be an instant seller for me.

@Samug.6512 said:Cantha dealt with a pretty bad plague in the past. Elixirs and Concoctions could tie into the lore quite nicely, I'd say.

But judging by PoF, ANet is actually quite creative when it comes to elite specs, so not gonna call anything.

Yup! Pulling out my crystal ball for my best butt-pull, it's going to be called the Plaguedoctor, and focus on condition management, possibly converting conditions to a resource to power high impact skills.

And then end up being too good with Purity of Purpose and Purity of Purpose gets nerfed to the ground.

Well holosmith is using aspect crystal from the zephyrite no asuran technology implied. But indeed they are some asuran holomancer, but well note Scarlet was a sylvari and she was an holosmith...."An Elona specialty! Holosmiths are engineers who craft tools out of pure light using magical crystals. Amnoon is where holosmithing originated, and many of them work here even now." said by the specs npc of amnoon.

So no, we don't have an asura engineer spec. Scapper is closer to charrs I guess. Holo is human. So I'm not against golemancer.But let's see what we have:1-Core, several kits like a flamethrower, turrets that are completely useless, and some tools and a toolbelt. So basically, using anything to deal damages...2-Scapper, use electricity or magnetism, have gyros flying around you that explode or whirl....
3-Holo, using sun energy, like a photovoltaic panel thanks to crystals. All skills are based on shaping light into blades or laser...

So a field we haven't used yet is, a real use of the alchemy, potions, flasks.... syringe.... a kind of mad scientist or doctor. Even if the term is redundant with the trait line name, it could be the alchemist. Or call it plague doctor, dunno frankly. (It kinda sound like a necro spec....)

Anet please, improve turrets.

@"hugo.4705" said:Well holosmith is using aspect crystal from the zephyrite no asuran technology implied. But indeed they are some asuran holomancer, but well note Scarlet was a sylvari and she was an holosmith...."An Elona specialty! Holosmiths are engineers who craft tools out of pure light using magical crystals. Amnoon is where holosmithing originated, and many of them work here even now." said by the specs npc of amnoon.

So no, we don't have an asura engineer spec. Scapper is closer to charrs I guess. Holo is human. So I'm not against golemancer.But let's see what we have:1-Core, several kits like a flamethrower, turrets that are completely useless, and some tools and a toolbelt. So basically, using anything to deal damages...2-Scapper, use electricity or magnetism, have gyros flying around you that explode or whirl....

3-Holo, using sun energy, like a photovoltaic panel thanks to crystals. All skills are based on shaping light into blades or laser...

So a field we haven't used yet is, a real use of the alchemy, potions, flasks.... syringe.... a kind of mad scientist or doctor. Even if the term is redundant with the trait line name, it could be the alchemist. Or call it plague doctor, dunno frankly. (It kinda sound like a necro spec....)

Anet please, improve turrets.

Every known holomancer in the lore has been an Asura, Scarlet Briar is the only exception. And even Scarlet Briar got everything she knows about holomancy from the Asura, directly stated in the lore.

So while it might be true that the Zephyrite magic aspects play a role here, then Holosmith at least still is a combination of human magic and Asuran technology. And it feels very Asuran if you are completely honest.

Using the name alchemist is unlikely, but actually possible. In German, the mesmer has the trait line Illusionen, yet the mirage is called Illusionist here too.

Well you also have Baraz Sharifi, a human within crystal oasis. But yes, I see, if anet would have stated it was asuran I would have not seen any difference. Sadly it isn't stated if the asuras went in crystal desert to teach them the basics about the topic. They just say it originated at Amnoon. (Kinda confusing, never saw a zephyrite using holo skills). But there is a clear difference between an holomancer and an holosmith.

Holomancer: I create holograms / Holosmith: I can shape light and attack with that.

I think the team who made that spec, or at least its integration in the lore/tyria did a massive error by stating it has been created by elonians whereas Scarlet used one of their skills, and I'm very doubtful: she never went into crystal desert and only studied asuran colleges. But maybe it's just a coincidence.