Protest having to pay to travel to the Eyes of the North - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Protest having to pay to travel to the Eyes of the North

2>

Comments

  • Image.8630Image.8630 Member ✭✭

    @miraude.2107 said:
    I'm surprised they didn't update the Hall of Monuments Portal Stone.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments_Portal_Stone

    It would have been a nice solution. They could make it like the Spearmarshal's Plea where it could take you to Sun's Refuge (once you unlocked it) or the Griffon Sanctuary. The same thing could have been done with the Portal Stone. Present it to Aurene after completing the story missions to have her modify it or something.

    That is the 1st thing I used when I read about the story... place was empty, I was completely confused. Tried it a few times , logged off.. and still nothing.
    Why create a 2nd Eye of the north instance? weird

  • Sanity Obscure.6054Sanity Obscure.6054 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2020

    I can't imagine someone complaining about paying 5 silver to WP in 2020. Maybe back at game launch when 1 gold was a lot?

    No. This has got to be a troll post.

  • No, I'm thinking that people bellowing that a convenience area should not be convenient are the trolls.

  • Funky.4861Funky.4861 Member ✭✭✭

    Thank you Andrew. Could you please answer this question: Why are the asura gate links one-way only, and why should i buy them if EoTN is being added to the portal scroll destination list?

  • @miraude.2107 said:
    I'm surprised they didn't update the Hall of Monuments Portal Stone.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments_Portal_Stone

    It would have been a nice solution. They could make it like the Spearmarshal's Plea where it could take you to Sun's Refuge (once you unlocked it) or the Griffon Sanctuary. The same thing could have been done with the Portal Stone. Present it to Aurene after completing the story missions to have her modify it or something.

    I would have to agreed, it s a bit (and I hesitate saying this) lazy that this was not done to begin with. They must have known we had it, they had to have known we would use the ones we were given. I totally accept that they represent different instances and that can make it difficult. But the "View eye the north before your friends arrived" is still account based when going there and no different from the HoM portal stone.

    Now that I've had my cry here's a few suggestions for a solution:

    1. Change existing HoM portal stones to point to the new Map / Open World EotN
    2. Add a selection page like the other passes and portals have so that the HoM Portal Stone can take you to either your account based instance or the Open World Map
    3. Remove the tithe to the account based instance and add that gw1 merchant unlock as an upgrade to Lady Chamilla's for free. Allowing access to the reward merchant in the new map along with the rewards.
    4. okay......I ran out of ideas :p

    But please by all means do update change this, it is a total removal of immersion going there via HoM stone press M double click WP........Just total...........YOU KNOW!

  • @Andrew Gray.5816 said:
    Hello! I wanted to let you know that in an upcoming build, EotN will be added automatically as an available destination in the existing Icebrood Saga Portal Tome.

    THAT was going to be my 4th suggestion ;)
    THANK YOU! <3

  • draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Excellent. I'll focus on finishing the previous chapter with my remaining characters in the meantime.

    It did seem a bit weird that a location which seemed to be intended to be visited repeatedly was the only one that you always had to pay to get to, whatever the "It doesn't matter!" crowd tried to say.

  • Jong.5937Jong.5937 Member ✭✭
    edited March 20, 2020

    @Andrew Gray.5816 said:
    Hello! I wanted to let you know that in an upcoming build, EotN will be added automatically as an available destination in the existing Icebrood Saga Portal Tome.

    Thank you so much Andrew, this is great news :)

    It wasn't the cost that got me but that I couldn't go there direct from either WvW or my preferred lounge - Armistice Bastion.

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kitich.4580 said:
    Well, I see no problem in paid WP for the story instance. Through, as it was said, this is going to be a hub. We are going to use it every day for strike missions, Anet wants us to invest into it, building upgrades. Remember the Sun's Refuge, which contained nothing but a few 1-time achievements. We had multiple teleports to it and nothing for Eyes of the North. Just I see no reason to invest. It's hard to call home the place with the paid entrance.

    How many homes have you, in real life, that did not require payment for access? I pay every month for mine.

  • @draxynnic.3719 said:
    Excellent. I'll focus on finishing the previous chapter with my remaining characters in the meantime.

    It did seem a bit weird that a location which seemed to be intended to be visited repeatedly was the only one that you always had to pay to get to, whatever the "It doesn't matter!" crowd tried to say.

    Let's not dip into fallacy here, shall we? When I TP to Lion's Arch from whatever map I'm working on, it costs silver to do so, and, it's had this cost since Day 1 of the game. "But I can ride for two hours through different maps and get there for free" notwithstanding, the TP cost has always been here, and, in particular, this one is being addressed.

  • re: How many homes have you, in real life, that did not require payment for access? I pay every month for mine. - This isn't your home, or mine. Let's ask the question properly then:
    How many in game convenience areas require payment? - ZERO, because Andrew Gray has already said that they're adding Eye of the North to the Icebrood Saga portal scroll in a future update. ANet agrees with this, or it was intended to be implemented after. Either way, ANet agrees that a convenience area should be convenient.

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ashen.2907 said:

    @Kitich.4580 said:
    Well, I see no problem in paid WP for the story instance. Through, as it was said, this is going to be a hub. We are going to use it every day for strike missions, Anet wants us to invest into it, building upgrades. Remember the Sun's Refuge, which contained nothing but a few 1-time achievements. We had multiple teleports to it and nothing for Eyes of the North. Just I see no reason to invest. It's hard to call home the place with the paid entrance.

    How many homes have you, in real life, that did not require payment for access? I pay every month for mine.

    I have one and it's paid off, so I no longer pay for access.

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • re: Let's not dip into fallacy here, shall we? When I TP to Lion's Arch from whatever map I'm working on, it costs silver to do so, and, it's had this cost since Day 1 of the game. - No, let's call a thing what it is - Eye of the North is not a city, it is a convenience area. These have not had a travel cost. And EotN won't, - as Andrew Gray has already told us. Why are people still insisting that a convenience are should not be convenient? Especially since ANet has already settled this?

  • Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

    At last our precious silvers and coppers are saved.... seriously people. This was a non issue.

                                                              There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you
    
  • Of course everyone is entitled to express their opinion here, so long as you don't violate the rules. Please express some more - All of you crying out against this will refuse to use the portal scroll to travel to EotN when that option becomes available?

  • Aerinndis.2730Aerinndis.2730 Member ✭✭✭

    @Image.8630 said:

    @miraude.2107 said:
    I'm surprised they didn't update the Hall of Monuments Portal Stone.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments_Portal_Stone

    It would have been a nice solution. They could make it like the Spearmarshal's Plea where it could take you to Sun's Refuge (once you unlocked it) or the Griffon Sanctuary. The same thing could have been done with the Portal Stone. Present it to Aurene after completing the story missions to have her modify it or something.

    That is the 1st thing I used when I read about the story... place was empty, I was completely confused. Tried it a few times , logged off.. and still nothing.
    Why create a 2nd Eye of the north instance? weird

    You have to go to the map and click on the WP and it tells you that you are going out of the instance and takes you to the current EotN. I think it cost me 1 silver 37 copper.

  • @kharmin.7683 said:

    @Ashen.2907 said:

    @Kitich.4580 said:
    Well, I see no problem in paid WP for the story instance. Through, as it was said, this is going to be a hub. We are going to use it every day for strike missions, Anet wants us to invest into it, building upgrades. Remember the Sun's Refuge, which contained nothing but a few 1-time achievements. We had multiple teleports to it and nothing for Eyes of the North. Just I see no reason to invest. It's hard to call home the place with the paid entrance.

    How many homes have you, in real life, that did not require payment for access? I pay every month for mine.

    I have one and it's paid off, so I no longer pay for access.

    Except for a taxes :)

  • @Elden Arnaas.4870 said:
    Of course everyone is entitled to express their opinion here, so long as you don't violate the rules. Please express some more - All of you crying out against this will refuse to use the portal scroll to travel to EotN when that option becomes available?

    ...and here is the fallacy. Perhaps it's not that we're "crying out against" something, but stating how much of a non-issue it is. It's great that you found a few silvers, spent regularly, to be breaking your bank, but some of us aren't seeing it that way. The last post I quoted stated that this was the first area intended to be visited regularly that it cost to travel to. I specifically used Lion's Arch when calling out the fallacy because I'm sure that LA was meant to be visited regularly. I even pointed out, in my last post, that this was being fixed. I am not heartbroken by this, just as I wasn't heartbroken by it costing money to go to EotN. So, instead of "calling out" what you want others to have said, how about you respond to what was actually said, that would be great, yes?

  • ArchonWing.9480ArchonWing.9480 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yarr just chop some wood.

  • @Andrew Gray.5816 said:
    Hello! I wanted to let you know that in an upcoming build, EotN will be added automatically as an available destination in the existing Icebrood Saga Portal Tome.

    Thank you Thank you, ANet.
    The game devs saved the day again.

    For myself, it was always about the principal of the thing, not the trivial amount of silvers.

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @robertthebard.8150 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    Excellent. I'll focus on finishing the previous chapter with my remaining characters in the meantime.

    It did seem a bit weird that a location which seemed to be intended to be visited repeatedly was the only one that you always had to pay to get to, whatever the "It doesn't matter!" crowd tried to say.

    Let's not dip into fallacy here, shall we? When I TP to Lion's Arch from whatever map I'm working on, it costs silver to do so, and, it's had this cost since Day 1 of the game. "But I can ride for two hours through different maps and get there for free" notwithstanding, the TP cost has always been here, and, in particular, this one is being addressed.

    You do know you can go into spvp lobby or wvw and take portal to lions arch for free from anywere right?
    So no need to ride for 2 hours through diffrent maps.
    And its been there since day 1 of game release.

  • KidRoleplay.3615KidRoleplay.3615 Member ✭✭✭

    It's principle!

    Alright. Carry on.

  • @Linken.6345 said:

    @robertthebard.8150 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    Excellent. I'll focus on finishing the previous chapter with my remaining characters in the meantime.

    It did seem a bit weird that a location which seemed to be intended to be visited repeatedly was the only one that you always had to pay to get to, whatever the "It doesn't matter!" crowd tried to say.

    Let's not dip into fallacy here, shall we? When I TP to Lion's Arch from whatever map I'm working on, it costs silver to do so, and, it's had this cost since Day 1 of the game. "But I can ride for two hours through different maps and get there for free" notwithstanding, the TP cost has always been here, and, in particular, this one is being addressed.

    You do know you can go into spvp lobby or wvw and take portal to lions arch for free from anywere right?
    So no need to ride for 2 hours through diffrent maps.
    And its been there since day 1 of game release.

    I wouldn't ride for two hours, I'd just fast travel. It's a couple of silver, I made more working on map completion last night than I spent fast traveling yesterday overall. I was commenting on someone that had posted that they could ride through a map or two to get to a portal earlier in the thread.

  • Taylan.2187Taylan.2187 Member ✭✭✭

    LOL, people like to argue about the smallest thing. I'm happy to hear it'll be in the portal tome though because it's kinda weird having to use a WP. Feels wrong for some reason.

    And like someone else said: you can reach Lion's Arch from anywhere by entering the PvP lobby (HotM) and using the Asura Gate to Lion's Arch.
    There's more though! From there you can WP for free to the gate hub in Lion's Arch (since intra-city travel is free) and use the Asura Gates to travel to any race's city.
    That plus the portal tomes are my primary ways of traveling somewhere near my real destination so I always have to pay less than 2 silver to get somewhere. :lol:
    Currently, with EotN, I travel to Bjora Marches via the tome then WP from there. Bitterfrost Frontier would work too; haven't checked which is cheaper.

    I probably save one gold every few months or so by doing this!!

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2020

    @Taylan.2187 said:
    LOL, people like to argue about the smallest thing. I'm happy to hear it'll be in the portal tome though because it's kinda weird having to use a WP. Feels wrong for some reason.

    And like someone else said: you can reach Lion's Arch from anywhere by entering the PvP lobby (HotM) and using the Asura Gate to Lion's Arch.
    There's more though! From there you can WP for free to the gate hub in Lion's Arch (since intra-city travel is free) and use the Asura Gates to travel to any race's city.
    That plus the portal tomes are my primary ways of traveling somewhere near my real destination so I always have to pay less than 2 silver to get somewhere. :lol:
    Currently, with EotN, I travel to Bjora Marches via the tome then WP from there. Bitterfrost Frontier would work too; haven't checked which is cheaper.

    I probably save one gold every few months or so by doing this!!

    It's likely cheaper to use the HoM Portal Stone for EotN. (Waypoint cost from there is 1 Silver 18 Copper with Guild Waypoint discount.)
    (Whilst we await the addition to the Portal Scroll.)

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @kharmin.7683 said:

    @Ashen.2907 said:

    @Kitich.4580 said:
    Well, I see no problem in paid WP for the story instance. Through, as it was said, this is going to be a hub. We are going to use it every day for strike missions, Anet wants us to invest into it, building upgrades. Remember the Sun's Refuge, which contained nothing but a few 1-time achievements. We had multiple teleports to it and nothing for Eyes of the North. Just I see no reason to invest. It's hard to call home the place with the paid entrance.

    How many homes have you, in real life, that did not require payment for access? I pay every month for mine.

    I have one and it's paid off, so I no longer pay for access.

    Does your state, nation, etc require you to pay property taxes?

    In my state your home will be taken away if you do not pay your property taxes.

  • Nagiil.1230Nagiil.1230 Member ✭✭
    edited March 24, 2020

    @ Anet

    Nice, but you know, you will never sell any of the passes (to Lava Lounge, to Captains Airship, ...) again :)

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I don't know; I'd never use EotN rather than Royal Terrace. Much too spread out.
    The only advantage is the Strike Mission Portal.

  • Aridon.8362Aridon.8362 Member ✭✭✭

    This is a whole other level of poor I've never ever seen in this game.

  • Zaoda.1653Zaoda.1653 Member ✭✭✭

    I think it's pretty lame that you have to pay 50 gold just to unlock the banker there. I refuse to pay that. It's hard enough for me making gold in game. I'll just use the crafting stations. It's a bit of a further walk, but worth it to save 50 gold.

  • Cobrakon.3108Cobrakon.3108 Member ✭✭✭

    Dubious is quite the overstatement. WP Travel is super cheap. If you reach zero by chance, grab a laurel, a node, a boss, a chest, a daily, someones home instance, a fractal, wvw, spvp,
    port daily jp and get some tips, heck just walk outside of town and start collecting.

  • kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

    Just LOL at complaining about WP costs after 7+years

  • @kratan.4619 said:
    Just LOL at complaining about WP costs after 7+years

    If the played Eldrr Scrolls, they would have an absolute fit. The cost of fast travel in that game is high, and goes up a lot if you want to fast travel in quick succession.

  • coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @XatraZaytrax.2601 said:

    @kratan.4619 said:
    Just LOL at complaining about WP costs after 7+years

    If the played Eldrr Scrolls, they would have an absolute fit. The cost of fast travel in that game is high, and goes up a lot if you want to fast travel in quick succession.

    Yeah but if you teleport from the way point itself its free. It's what do most of the time.

  • PoF was entirely a remote location from rest of Tyria besides story letting you go there and getting the Invitation for the Lily. HoT had a similar map location the Noble's Folly. Then your guild halls could be to the maps and serve as a cheaper way there. I recall a few places LWS3 being extra remotely accessible like Bloodstone Fen or Ember Bay, but you could get portal scrolls to into a tome for all your characters to share. Also EotN with all the accessibility and new Strike Mission guaranteeing you 50 silver a run plus whatever loot you get each run, that's really not an issue long term and makes for a great grind spot. In fact I'm comfortable with saying it's a better grind spot sooner than later while the crafting mat is newer to go for more on tp.