Not being able to decide a main is killing the game for me — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Players Helping Players

Not being able to decide a main is killing the game for me

Hello everyone,

First of all i'd like to apologize for another discussion with this topic but i'm a bit desperate...

As mentioned in the title i'm looking for a main to play in this game...
I'e played this game a fair bit so I know all classes can be dps (power/condi), healer or tank.

Let me tell you what i'm looking for:
First of all the class has to be aesthetically pleasing. ** : For this i'm quite easy: i find all the classes quite cool, except warrior (i do like armour types in this order: light, heavy, medium)
**Able to do all content (solo, WvW, PvP and Fractals/Raids)

I prefer condi damage over Power but I don't mind either way, i'd also like that my class can heal = i'd like a class that can do everything

I've played several classes:

  • Firebrand: I like the fact that it can do Condi, Power and healing but aesthetically and fantasy wise not as strong as other classes.
  • Ranger: Pretty fun and good that it can do everything but just doesn't hit the right notes, i don't like how the dagger of bow plays.
  • Necro: haven't played it very much and the Warlock type is what I always play in other games, but as said i'd like to do everything and i've read that condi or heal Scourge isn't that good. Aesthetically and fantasy-wise this and Mesmer is my favourite.
  • Mesmer: Very cool fantasy wise and aesthetically but i keep reading it's very difficult. Also it's not able to heal and i do like doing that from time to time. I like the whole clone/pet thing though. Combat wise it is quitte fun.
  • Ele: Again the idea and aesthetic is really nice. Also the combat was fun but I found it very difficult and kept dying in PoF. Do like the fact that i can do condi/power and healing.

In short: I want a class that can do everything(roles and content), has a cool aesthetic and fantasy behind it, while being not TOO difficult, but i don't mind a good learning curve.

I know that i'm really difficult but I really want to get into the game because I love the combat, feel, community, etc.

I'm interested in all classes except Warrior, but I'd like to go for the legendary armour one day and I despise the medium one, just a heads up there.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

  • @melandru.3876 said:
    i don't think anyone can help you.

    your expectations are unrealistic to the point where you don't even know what you want.
    there is no 1 fit for all. and if there would be one, it's still guardian

    power dps? dragonhunter
    condi dps? firebrand
    support? condi quickbrand
    heal? heal (fire) brand

    solo, raid,fracs, strike, wvw? yes. pvp also yes but not s-tier, more like a-grade

    but then you come with your "aesthetically and fantasy wise not as strong as other classes." :thonk

    I know i'm a desperate one, thank you for your input, I've always been a big reroller in games.
    Maybe I should lower my expectations and just go with it, since the game is quite alt friendly

  • @OrangeWaffle.4287 said:
    Aesthetically and fantasy-wise this and Mesmer is my favourite.

    • Mesmer: Very cool fantasy wise and aesthetically but i keep reading it's very difficult. Also it's not able to heal and i do like doing that from time to time. I like the whole clone/pet thing though. Combat wise it is quitte fun.

    I think mesmer is your thing. Although its not really a healer, chrono boon support builds are quite useful and - in a sense - healing is just a different kind of boon support.

    And the fact that you say 'it is quite fun' pretty much says it all. That shows that its not too difficult for you, although mastering it could mean that the class gives you room to grow, whereas another class that you master early on you might get bored with much quicker.

  • Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

    An MMO with classes by definition wont have them do everything... that's why classes are different classes instead of just one class.

    In particular WvW and raids are often complete opposites. The game is alt friendly, in fact it's not only friendly to it it's designed for having only alts and no main. Buying new character slots so you can have 1 of each class is by far the best investment into the game you can do.

    gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

  • Lucio.4190Lucio.4190 Member ✭✭✭

    Aesthetically, I would definitely say Sylvari Mesmer. You design the look and colours to match the type of gear you plan to have.
    I've fallen in love with the Axe/Pistol at the moment and will probably get the Astralaria (curses on the designer that planned all requirements for that axe).

    Yes, it's difficult with the mesmer, after all the punishment it's suffered through the years, but with a lot of imagination and hard work you will find a way to play with it at least. It works on PvE and I've gone through all expansions and Living Worlds after some rearranging of gear and only exotics so far. Had to admit defeat and get help in the last fight against Mordremoth (HoT) and I couldn't kill the Mushroom King and Queen to get the Mastery Insight, without someone else getting their full attention.

    I hope to be able make some noise on PvP or WvW next.
    I'm stubborn and will try to build a really fast Mirage and maybe I'll succeed or I'll fail. They say it can't be done anymore.

    That's all I can say about my experience so far.

  • May I suggest Weaver. The thing is, it is the most complicated class to play. At least that's what everyone says. It may be due to the fact that the weaver class has more skills than any other, 26! For me, the (sword/dagger) weaver (human female, light armour) is the most aesthetically pleasing of all the classes. Everything she does is done with flair and a lot of colorful special effects. Her sustain is unreal. And though she doesn't do max dps, she ends up resurrecting many zerg players who do. To me, the advantage is that as a Weaver, you are a melee magic user. How cool is that? Then when necessary, switch to staff and have the biggest dps in the game. Another aesthetically pleasing class is the Holosmith. They do lots of dps and armed with a rifle, can be deadly both in close combat and at range. It's an ideal killing machine. My build is all out attack, so I need a friendly weaver to res me once in a while.

  • @Gorkus.7496 said:
    May I suggest Weaver. The thing is, it is the most complicated class to play. At least that's what everyone says. It may be due to the fact that the weaver class has more skills than any other, 26! For me, the (sword/dagger) weaver (human female, light armour) is the most aesthetically pleasing of all the classes. Everything she does is done with flair and a lot of colorful special effects. Her sustain is unreal. And though she doesn't do max dps, she ends up resurrecting many zerg players who do. To me, the advantage is that as a Weaver, you are a melee magic user. How cool is that? Then when necessary, switch to staff and have the biggest dps in the game. Another aesthetically pleasing class is the Holosmith. They do lots of dps and armed with a rifle, can be deadly both in close combat and at range. It's an ideal killing machine. My build is all out attack, so I need a friendly weaver to res me once in a while.

    I'll second weaver! It sounds like it's been giving you some trouble, so it may be a bad fit or maybe you need a different build? If you want something that has a really good balance of damage and sustain, try condi weaver with fire/earth sword/focus and trailblazer stats. Switch to Viper for raid/fractal. Swap earth for arcane for PvP/roaming. Firebrand is probably the better pick, but if you like weaver it's hard to find anything that feels quite like it!

    Here's a clip of my Asuran female weaver battling the champion avatar of Balthazar in Auric Basin. She's looking fierce and futuristic (not to mention cute!) while she goes toe-to-toe with the big guy and shows him who the God of Fire really is! I'm using a PvP-style fire/arcane variant that's just my personal preference, but if you want something more forgiving try fire/earth with trailblazer stats. It's stronger on passive sustain and damage. You can adapt this build with different stats/traits/utilities to any game mode, although it is not meta for fractals (it still works fine by most player standards, though!).

  • Lucio.4190Lucio.4190 Member ✭✭✭

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    @Gorkus.7496 said:
    May I suggest Weaver. The thing is, it is the most complicated class to play. At least that's what everyone says. It may be due to the fact that the weaver class has more skills than any other, 26! For me, the (sword/dagger) weaver (human female, light armour) is the most aesthetically pleasing of all the classes. Everything she does is done with flair and a lot of colorful special effects. Her sustain is unreal. And though she doesn't do max dps, she ends up resurrecting many zerg players who do. To me, the advantage is that as a Weaver, you are a melee magic user. How cool is that? Then when necessary, switch to staff and have the biggest dps in the game. Another aesthetically pleasing class is the Holosmith. They do lots of dps and armed with a rifle, can be deadly both in close combat and at range. It's an ideal killing machine. My build is all out attack, so I need a friendly weaver to res me once in a while.

    I'll second weaver! It sounds like it's been giving you some trouble, so it may be a bad fit or maybe you need a different build? If you want something that has a really good balance of damage and sustain, try condi weaver with fire/earth sword/focus and trailblazer stats. Switch to Viper for raid/fractal. Swap earth for arcane for PvP/roaming. Firebrand is probably the better pick, but if you like weaver it's hard to find anything that feels quite like it!

    Here's a clip of my Asuran female weaver battling the champion avatar of Balthazar in Auric Basin. She's looking fierce and futuristic (not to mention cute!) while she goes toe-to-toe with the big guy and shows him who the God of Fire really is! I'm using a PvP-style fire/arcane variant that's just my personal preference, but if you want something more forgiving try fire/earth with trailblazer stats. It's stronger on passive sustain and damage. You can adapt this build with different stats/traits/utilities to any game mode, although it is not meta for fractals (it still works fine by most player standards, though!).

    Dude! 14k-15k?!? You pulverized that avatar in less than 1 minute? I'm really impressed!
    I have to struggle to get anything close to 4500 on a critical hit.. I must be doing something wrong with my mesmer.

  • @Lucio.4190 said:

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    @Gorkus.7496 said:
    May I suggest Weaver. The thing is, it is the most complicated class to play. At least that's what everyone says. It may be due to the fact that the weaver class has more skills than any other, 26! For me, the (sword/dagger) weaver (human female, light armour) is the most aesthetically pleasing of all the classes. Everything she does is done with flair and a lot of colorful special effects. Her sustain is unreal. And though she doesn't do max dps, she ends up resurrecting many zerg players who do. To me, the advantage is that as a Weaver, you are a melee magic user. How cool is that? Then when necessary, switch to staff and have the biggest dps in the game. Another aesthetically pleasing class is the Holosmith. They do lots of dps and armed with a rifle, can be deadly both in close combat and at range. It's an ideal killing machine. My build is all out attack, so I need a friendly weaver to res me once in a while.

    I'll second weaver! It sounds like it's been giving you some trouble, so it may be a bad fit or maybe you need a different build? If you want something that has a really good balance of damage and sustain, try condi weaver with fire/earth sword/focus and trailblazer stats. Switch to Viper for raid/fractal. Swap earth for arcane for PvP/roaming. Firebrand is probably the better pick, but if you like weaver it's hard to find anything that feels quite like it!

    Here's a clip of my Asuran female weaver battling the champion avatar of Balthazar in Auric Basin. She's looking fierce and futuristic (not to mention cute!) while she goes toe-to-toe with the big guy and shows him who the God of Fire really is! I'm using a PvP-style fire/arcane variant that's just my personal preference, but if you want something more forgiving try fire/earth with trailblazer stats. It's stronger on passive sustain and damage. You can adapt this build with different stats/traits/utilities to any game mode, although it is not meta for fractals (it still works fine by most player standards, though!).

    Dude! 14k-15k?!? You pulverized that avatar in less than 1 minute? I'm really impressed!
    I have to struggle to get anything close to 4500 on a critical hit.. I must be doing something wrong with my mesmer.

    Balthazar moves around more than is ideal depending upon your positioning and he hits quite hard, making him fairly disruptive. Peak burn tick for this build in solo play is up to 30k and you can ramp up to 20k+ in as little as 4 seconds by stacking utility cooldowns. Here's a quick demo of bursting with the fire/earth build I would probably recommend for open world play on weaver. It ramps to over 20k burn in 4 seconds, 25k in 5 seconds, and peaks at 28k burn tick. This build has a surprising amount of punch for also having nearly 3.5k armor!

  • hey i had the same problem a while ago before i decided to main my ranger. i like class that’s aesthetically pleasing as well. and can do any content solo.

    what i found is that mesmer (mirage) is the asnwer. even tho i did choose ranger to be my main ( i have my personal reason xD).

    why mirage? condi mirage with rabid or trailblazer gear is pretty strong. and because of the ambush and energy sigil u do a lot of dodge. ngl im suck to do damage in any class but one time i did strike train with my guild and my dps wasnt so bad. and i pretty much survive the entire mechanic chaos xD all i have is exotic equipments as well.

    mesmer has lots of cc as well so its pretty nice to see those cc bar breaking xD. not to mention portal! and stealth. it helps alot when u doin dungeon.

    but i think mirage is not part of the meta build rn. but u can pretty much use it for strikes, fractals and any pve content. for raids its a bit more serious

    i dont know much about chrono cause its hard and i hate it xD but mirage is def my most fav. im planning to gear up my mirage after im done with my druid.

    and as u say mesmer skills looks pretty awesome as well. aesthetically beautiful xD

    hope this helps u

  • melandru.3876melandru.3876 Member ✭✭✭✭

    why is everyone on every thread suggesting trailblazer to new players????

    because maguma lillies are so super common and not expensive?
    because you want to bully people in full defensive builds making them unwanted in instanced content?
    because you deem them to bad to survive without million health and armor?

    makes..no..sense

  • @melandru.3876 said:
    why is everyone on every thread suggesting trailblazer to new players????

    because maguma lillies are so super common and not expensive?
    because you want to bully people in full defensive builds making them unwanted in instanced content?
    because you deem them to bad to survive without million health and armor?

    makes..no..sense

    You're welcome to suggest whatever build you prefer. However, I would like to point out that the OP appears to be asking for a one-size-fits-all build. Tanky condi builds are a legitimate choice for that purpose. This is particularly true for players who struggle to be effective in glass meta builds (the OP also mentioned dying too often on ele in PoF).

    That's why I suggested the weaver build that I did. It's an ele build that is anything but squishy yet has strong enough damage to be perform adequately in any content. I don't want to clog the entire thread with endless video clips, but you're welcome to look at what I have on my channel. For reference, 32.5k T4 subject 6 burn in Dire gear (you don't have to do trailblazer!). I've also run CMs with this build without issue. 25-30k range on golem benchmark. I have burst demos, champion and legendary solos, PvP duels against top rank players, WvW roaming. I've even tested glass stats and have video of that to compare to my performance in tanky stats. It's all there to prove that this one-size-fits-all build works well enough to do whatever I want to do while playing the class and playstyle I love.

    I get that this does not qualify me for snowcrows, but I perform well enough that it's never been an issue for me in terms of other players giving me a hard time regarding my performance. I thought that might be helpful to the OP, given what they were asking for.

  • Hesione.9412Hesione.9412 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    @melandru.3876 said:
    why is everyone on every thread suggesting trailblazer to new players????

    because maguma lillies are so super common and not expensive?
    because you want to bully people in full defensive builds making them unwanted in instanced content?
    because you deem them to bad to survive without million health and armor?

    makes..no..sense

    You're welcome to suggest whatever build you prefer. However, I would like to point out that the OP appears to be asking for a one-size-fits-all build. Tanky condi builds are a legitimate choice for that purpose. This is particularly true for players who struggle to be effective in glass meta builds (the OP also mentioned dying too often on ele in PoF).

    That's why I suggested the weaver build that I did. It's an ele build that is anything but squishy yet has strong enough damage to be perform adequately in any content. I don't want to clog the entire thread with endless video clips, but you're welcome to look at what I have on my channel. For reference, 32.5k T4 subject 6 burn in Dire gear (you don't have to do trailblazer!). I've also run CMs with this build without issue. 25-30k range on golem benchmark. I have burst demos, champion and legendary solos, PvP duels against top rank players, WvW roaming. I've even tested glass stats and have video of that to compare to my performance in tanky stats. It's all there to prove that this one-size-fits-all build works well enough to do whatever I want to do while playing the class and playstyle I love.

    I get that this does not qualify me for snowcrows, but I perform well enough that it's never been an issue for me in terms of other players giving me a hard time regarding my performance. I thought that might be helpful to the OP, given what they were asking for.

    Thank you for all the videos you do, I find them helpful.

    Videos are the best way for people to work out what type of profession/build they want to play. You see the playstyle of the build, including rotations, when specific utility skills are used, as well as the build itself. Being able to see how something works should not be undervalued. A video can make a player go "heck yeah, this is what I really want to do" versus "nope, no way am I ever doing that". Videos can permit a visceral reaction to a prof/build, something that 10,000 words will never do.

    I hope the OP finds the videos useful/instructive.

  • melandru.3876melandru.3876 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    @melandru.3876 said:
    why is everyone on every thread suggesting trailblazer to new players????

    because maguma lillies are so super common and not expensive?
    because you want to bully people in full defensive builds making them unwanted in instanced content?
    because you deem them to bad to survive without million health and armor?

    makes..no..sense

    You're welcome to suggest whatever build you prefer. However, I would like to point out that the OP appears to be asking for a one-size-fits-all build. Tanky condi builds are a legitimate choice for that purpose. This is particularly true for players who struggle to be effective in glass meta builds (the OP also mentioned dying too often on ele in PoF).

    That's why I suggested the weaver build that I did. It's an ele build that is anything but squishy yet has strong enough damage to be perform adequately in any content. I don't want to clog the entire thread with endless video clips, but you're welcome to look at what I have on my channel. For reference, 32.5k T4 subject 6 burn in Dire gear (you don't have to do trailblazer!). I've also run CMs with this build without issue. 25-30k range on golem benchmark. I have burst demos, champion and legendary solos, PvP duels against top rank players, WvW roaming. I've even tested glass stats and have video of that to compare to my performance in tanky stats. It's all there to prove that this one-size-fits-all build works well enough to do whatever I want to do while playing the class and playstyle I love.

    I get that this does not qualify me for snowcrows, but I perform well enough that it's never been an issue for me in terms of other players giving me a hard time regarding my performance. I thought that might be helpful to the OP, given what they were asking for.

    25-30k range on golem benchmarks is scourge level (even below scourge actually)
    a class that has barrier for days and 19.2k health by default.
    so it's not really that impressive.

    i stand by my first post, guardian or revenant if he/she wants to do all roles

  • @melandru.3876 said:

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    @melandru.3876 said:
    why is everyone on every thread suggesting trailblazer to new players????

    because maguma lillies are so super common and not expensive?
    because you want to bully people in full defensive builds making them unwanted in instanced content?
    because you deem them to bad to survive without million health and armor?

    makes..no..sense

    You're welcome to suggest whatever build you prefer. However, I would like to point out that the OP appears to be asking for a one-size-fits-all build. Tanky condi builds are a legitimate choice for that purpose. This is particularly true for players who struggle to be effective in glass meta builds (the OP also mentioned dying too often on ele in PoF).

    That's why I suggested the weaver build that I did. It's an ele build that is anything but squishy yet has strong enough damage to be perform adequately in any content. I don't want to clog the entire thread with endless video clips, but you're welcome to look at what I have on my channel. For reference, 32.5k T4 subject 6 burn in Dire gear (you don't have to do trailblazer!). I've also run CMs with this build without issue. 25-30k range on golem benchmark. I have burst demos, champion and legendary solos, PvP duels against top rank players, WvW roaming. I've even tested glass stats and have video of that to compare to my performance in tanky stats. It's all there to prove that this one-size-fits-all build works well enough to do whatever I want to do while playing the class and playstyle I love.

    I get that this does not qualify me for snowcrows, but I perform well enough that it's never been an issue for me in terms of other players giving me a hard time regarding my performance. I thought that might be helpful to the OP, given what they were asking for.

    25-30k range on golem benchmarks is scourge level (even below scourge actually)
    a class that has barrier for days and 19.2k health by default.
    so it's not really that impressive.

    i stand by my first post, guardian or revenant if he/she wants to do all roles

    I don't disagree. This is not a raid build and I don't raid with it (you can't really use toughness gear in raids anyway!). But if I can benchmark 25-30k in dire gear, I'm sure a Viper version could perform adequately. Not optimally. Adequately. If the same build can easily be adapted to everything else you want to do and is also more forgiving to play when you're struggling even in open world, it might be a better option than the raid meta build for this class.

    Guardian is obviously the best choice. It does everything, much of it better than everything else! But ele was on the list as well, so I offer an alternative.

  • I am playing staff daredevil with my little asura main thief. Animations look crispy, choreography is wonderful, build can be squishy but your evades are also dealing dmg and most importantly it's fun!

  • Orack.9756Orack.9756 Member ✭✭
    edited December 26, 2020

    Hello @OrangeWaffle.4287

    Necro: haven't played it very much and the Warlock type is what I always play in other games, but as said i'd like to do everything and i've read that condi or heal Scourge isn't that good. Aesthetically and fantasy-wise this and Mesmer is my favourite.
    Mesmer: Very cool fantasy wise and aesthetically but i keep reading it's very difficult. Also it's not able to heal and i do like doing that from time to time. I like the whole clone/pet thing though. Combat wise it is quitte fun.

    I'm a casual, I tend to play, stop to go elsewhere and come back du to the same reason.
    This time I've back with a bunch of friend and 2 of you had the same problem.

    I'm a guy who like building on his own and theory-craft a lot.
    So here is my 1st tip : DO NOT ASK OTHER PLAYER WHAT TO PLAY.
    Why ? Because most player try to sell their favorite class or just swear by the meta word. And meta is not a thing that is fix in the long run.
    I also came across another problem from these player who share build like "able to solo open world", most of them (they're is exception) clearly don't solo any though champ/leg and their build are just about dps and can't do anything difficult alone.
    The moment when you give your taste and ask for advice is fine, but never ask people what you should play.

    So, now that is said, like you these 2 class are the one I really want to be in.
    1st, all class can do all content efficiently, you just have to get the right build/gear for it, don't go like you'll never have to switch gear/skill, that not how this game work and so far, it's not a problem once you get used to it.
    I also like the condi style more, I'm a "mage" / "support" player in most of mmorpg I've played in the past.
    I've give up on the heal/support for now, cuz it's only useful on rare occasion, most of the time you'll just have pain when alone unlike you've already many other gear to change build. That not my case I've pretty much all weapon in ascend and 1 light armor in ascend + jewel, that all. And for now I enjoy open world while doing meta alone or with people and soloing though boss like blademaster, balthazar, hot mastery, bounty from pof etc.. I think the open world is amazing here.

    If you're interested I can share my Necro build that is capable of solo pretty much everything, do good damage to not be a pain to chain trash mob and are really easy to play. I'm currently working on a Mirage, I now staff/staff is a popular solo, but the damage are way to low to be enjoyable so I'm trying some variante, can't share it for now since I don't have end testing and can't guaranteed it work.
    Note : the Mesmer weakness (mirage at least) is that all your clone/phantasm will disappear if you kill a trash and it can be a problem against a large pack of mob or in meta.
    I've play Ele and both of his e-spe in power and condi, it's pretty fun, but I find the 2 other more my taste in animation and look, especially the Mesmer.
    Underwater skill's of Ele clearly have the best look !
    Also it's not difficult at all like some player say, like any class, read your skill, and practice, don't be afraid by what you read, just go for it and try if you like it.

    Winter event is amazing to made money, if you can, farm a lot the puzzle in hard mode (not very hard in fact once used to it) and sell gift, I made ton of money (friends of mine too) and that how I crafted many ascended weapon and buying some expensive cool skin :) Go for it !

    TLDR : Test everything, use metabattle and youtube build, and adapt them to fit your test or made something completely new.
    And when you'r not sur about how something work in your class (can eb tricky some time) ask in forum or in game chat, you'll get answer pretty much every time, the community of this game is amazing :)

    Gear wise (for condi) :
    Choose about what you do most :

    Solo open world : Rabid (for class that profit from crit / thoughness like mesmer or necro) or Dire for those who don't.
    Both are very cheap to get in exo.
    Also, expertise (condi duration), is useless in solo/open world, you'll give up to much on fast damage and will take age to kill trash, not fun at all, only very high hp boss are worth the investissement on expertise from my experience.

    Group content : Viper all the way. If you can't get it for now aim for Sinister until you can craft Viper.

    PVP / WvW, no idea, not tested yet, better to ask player who know ^^

    Hope it help, have fun :)

  • Shaogin.2679Shaogin.2679 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2020

    So I'm actually in the same boat as you. I always go for the Warlock archetype in games, and I prefer to stick to a single character and do everything on that character. The downside in Guild Wars 2 is there is no Warlock archetype in this game. The closest that you'll get to it though is going to be the Necromancer. Also, don't worry about what others say about the Necromancer not being that good for condition damage or support.

    While a Scourge may not be optimal for support or condition damage, it stills performs well in those roles. The condi Scourge has a super easy rotation, making it easier to hit benchmarks than other classes, plus it brings some utility. The support Scourge is a pug-carrying machine that can put out a constant supply of barrier and condi removal, and is king at reviving downed allies.

    Oh and never compare a class to Guardian, they're like the pampered rich kids around here. And don't focus so hard on what is and isn't meta, especially with an expansion coming up. Balance patches can dramatically change the meta up, so it is best to focus on what you actually enjoy playing.

    Anyways, if Warlock is what you are going for, the Necromancer will suite you just fine. You will have Power DPS with Reaper, Condi DPS and Support with Scourge, and you will be able to solo just about all open world content. Also want to point out that the Necromancer is a very self reliant class, meaning that it will shine the most when you are in disorganized pug groups.

    Doc Von Doom

  • First off all i'd like to thank everybody for the massive response, i didn't expect this.. GW2 truelly has an amazing community!!!

    I'd like to give some more explanation for ppl in the same boat as me.

    After reading all the comments (ty again) and doing some thinking i've come to these concusions (for now..., pls help me)

    Recommendations:
    Guardian: They can do everything (very well as many ppl told me) but aesthetic isn't truelly my thing, and i really want to connect fantasy wise with my characters.
    Rev: This is a recommendation that i'd like to try in the future but I dont have the char slots for it ATM.

    The contenders:
    Ele: Can do everything and I kinda fell in love with the Weaver, the flow of Weaver and animations are amazing. I tried it in PvP and destroyed ppl (they probably were bad tho :( ) Sadly i dont have the SP for Weaver atm and tbh i'm kinda scared because I keep reading it's a really hard build to perform well with. And also that Weaver isn't that great atm (other classes do everything better)
    Necro: necros can do everything (even tho they arent the best at any one thing), fantasy wise very very nice. But somehow I dislike how the weapons play, I can't put my finger on it
    Mesmer: Aesthetic is amazing, Overall feel is also quite nice (love the GS and pistol playstyle , pew pew) , shattering also feels cool. And even though you can't really heal with this class it's still a strong contender for how cool the class is.

    TLDR: i still haven't decided and i'm a mess

  • Orack.9756Orack.9756 Member ✭✭
    edited December 26, 2020

    @OrangeWaffle.4287 said:
    First off all i'd like to thank everybody for the massive response, i didn't expect this.. GW2 truelly has an amazing community!!!

    I'd like to give some more explanation for ppl in the same boat as me.

    After reading all the comments (ty again) and doing some thinking i've come to these concusions (for now..., pls help me)

    Recommendations:
    Guardian: They can do everything (very well as many ppl told me) but aesthetic isn't truelly my thing, and i really want to connect fantasy wise with my characters.
    Rev: This is a recommendation that i'd like to try in the future but I dont have the char slots for it ATM.

    The contenders:
    Ele: Can do everything and I kinda fell in love with the Weaver, the flow of Weaver and animations are amazing. I tried it in PvP and destroyed ppl (they probably were bad tho :( ) Sadly i dont have the SP for Weaver atm and tbh i'm kinda scared because I keep reading it's a really hard build to perform well with. And also that Weaver isn't that great atm (other classes do everything better)
    Necro: necros can do everything (even tho they arent the best at any one thing), fantasy wise very very nice. But somehow I dislike how the weapons play, I can't put my finger on it
    Mesmer: Aesthetic is amazing, Overall feel is also quite nice (love the GS and pistol playstyle , pew pew) , shattering also feels cool. And even though you can't really heal with this class it's still a strong contender for how cool the class is.

    TLDR: i still haven't decided and i'm a mess

    Just by readding you I can say the 3 cloth profession are what appel you the most.
    The good thing is, since they're cloth all of them, you can use the same ascended gear for all of them ;)
    That exactly the situation I was few week ago xD
    The exact same class was appealing me and only yesterday I finaly decide to go fully on my Mirage (mesmer). Harder to play than my necro, it's more dynamic and pretty unique, really love it.

    You're closer than you thing to find your way, now, the only thing that can help you is time, test and gold.
    Yes you'll need all those 3 to test as many build as possible with all of them and sooner you'll find which one is the ONE ^^

    Have fun dude, take your time, nothing gonna go away ;)

  • I have been Engi main for 8 years, we may never be the meta choice but we can adapt to every situation

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020

    Guardian: Dragonhunter for DPS (open world, raids, fractals and PvP); Firebrand for Quickness and Healer builds (raids, fractals, WvW, possibly PvP as well)

  • Update for who's interested:

    For now (!) i've settled for Mesmer, love the feel of the Mirage spec and haven't tried Chrono yet.
    My next char slot will be used for Engi of Rev or thief.

    Thank you everyone for helping,

    Happy Holidays and have fun in GW2 :)

  • Look up Lord Hizen, Paper Roll, Nike!, and Venario Gaming on youtube, by far the best builds that let you solo most stuff and works for the not so pro gamers.
    (I would have included "Not Sure" channel but he posted above with his weaver.
    At first I was terrible with weaver (I would die to low level mobs :p ) until I watched his videos and can now run around and solo most things even HoT Hp

  • voltaicbore.8012voltaicbore.8012 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Valdor.8142 said:
    Look up Lord Hizen, Paper Roll, Nike!, and Venario Gaming on youtube, by far the best builds that let you solo most stuff and works for the not so pro gamers.
    (I would have included "Not Sure" channel but he posted above with his weaver.
    At first I was terrible with weaver (I would die to low level mobs :p ) until I watched his videos and can now run around and solo most things even HoT Hp

    Yes, these are good recommendations, @OrangeWaffle.4287 . In particular, I highly recommend any open world Lord Hizen build. He's got a thing for turning the defensive stats into damage boosters, which should suit your all-rounder needs a bit better than the typical buildcrafter. You've already met @AliamRationem.5172 in this thread, whose Weaver build is incredibly effective for solo play as well.

    As for picking mains, my analysis of your opening post and follow ups is that actually you should consider aesthetics first and foremost. This is because there is a way to build just about every class into an effective solo character, with the caveat that you're going to have to carry extra builds/gear to efficiently pug the highest tiers of group content. But frankly if you care about looks as much as you do, you're not going to want to pug stuff anyways - leave that to the folks who are interested in situationally-optimal builds on a variety of characters.

  • cloudsareyum.8120cloudsareyum.8120 Member ✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021

    This didn't say answered yet so I'll throw my 2 cents in, even though I think voltaicbore has it right.

    I would vote mesmer, coz I'm fond of them (also because you said you like light armor best and you find them fun and pretty-- but necro based on what you said could be good too) but I think that every class is viable for all content. So I agree you should consider aesthetics and what you just personally enjoy playing first and foremost, without worrying about what is viable or not. This game isn't like others where classes are unusable in a lot of contexts. My character's classes are based on the class that would fit the 'Character' that I made.
    If you're interested in jumping puzzles, mesmers and thieves have portals in their base class, necro has a portal in the path of fire expac, but you could just buy for cheap watchwork portal devices on any class anyway, so you should choose the most fun prettiest class that you enjoy. If you're interested in triple trouble full-blocking (it's an obscure hidden rhythm game where you prevent adds coming out that you can learn if you volunteer to learn on organized triple trouble maps accessible via LFG), mesmers & elementalists are good for that.

    Mesmers are not that difficult to get used to, really, especially if it's your first 'main'. It was my first main that I learned to play, not particularly tricky at all. Difficulty really is a matter of opinion and also a matter of what kind of game characters you're used to playing in the first place, so don't worry about it. If you have any mesmer questions (or blocking questions, it's kind of obscure and not much info is on the wiki about it yet), happy to help with what I can.

  • Since GW2 is very fluid, it is hard to pick just one class to "main". What I decided to do financially is decide on what armor type I liked more and then ascend swap. I ruled out Heavy as it was least appealing overall to me and then chose light as main due to condi, healing potential and dabble in medium ( i love engi). I'll then use any ascended loot drops for my medium class while crafting my ascended for light.

    you mentioned mes and ele being difficult and I agree. But when you get it right in a fight it feels more rewarding than face rolling with an easier class. condi mes is loads of fun (unless you are required to stand still, they are very hyper classes). Once i get my mes to full ascended yassith and finish the storys, i'm going to swap the gear to the ele for a bit.

    What i've found in my research is that where your main difficulty will be is choosing a healer that is good for all game types. Here you'll have to choose between single target heal , aoe heal, boon support or condi cleanse main which can be tricky. I decided i'm going to start working on tempest for its aoe potential and then use it for fractal,wvw, hp/bounty trains. Only prediction I have that I may flex on is going scrapper if I want to wvw more than open world. Most folks will say guardian is the way to go for healing but I just don't like playing it :pensive:

    So, at the end of this all I can really say is that you should spend more time playing and less time researching. I can't tell you how much time I've wasted browsing the forums when I could be in actually playing the game :P