How to say "thank you" in the good way ?

MornJack.3579

To make a lot story short, i got a tiny guild since one month. I try the guild bounties each week and every time i succeed, thanks to other players. Strangers passing by.But i tried to send them mail with gift inside, just to say "Hey you helped me. That's kind." And these players send me the letter back.

So, do you know a good way to say "thank you" ? I mean that just writting it in the local chan seems to be unfair... I'm lost.

Another example is the mesmers with their jumping puzzle portals (for the daylies). I really want to thank them... :)

Oh, and thank you for your advices. :)

Just saying thank you in /say chat is enough. :)

Sending people gifts is extremely generous. Which might be why they get sent back - that might be the person saying you don't need to reward them because they wanted to do it (or the event reward was enough).

Although if you don't tell them in the mail why you sent it they might assume you got the wrong person and don't want to take an item that was meant for someone else.

• ArenaNet Staff

I think it's really nice of you to consider this. I make it a point to say "Thanks" in all/map chat, or in local/say chat. I try to include the name of the person, too, to make it personal. I believe that this sort of personal acknowledgement is a very good thing, in that it shows our community to be the awesome entity that it is, and it can foster kindness from others. Sending a message can work, too, but I do the in-game message most of the time.

Again, thanks for thinking of this!

I'm notoriously terrible at jumping puzzles, so the mesmer ports are very much appreciated. I like to /s or /m a thanks, but I also try to target the player(s) and /bow. I want to convey gratitude and respect for the help that they provide.

Guild Hall claims, bounties, champions, metas, LS... there's so many ways to help people out in this game. Thanks to so many for making this community a great one! I'm encouraged by it.

Aww! This thread's adorable and the OP is awesome! <3 There are so many incredible people in this community. I've had so many JP and MP ports by patient and kind mesmers since I can't jump my way out of a paper bag-- even with a maxed out springer.

I usually gush a lot of thanks in /say or /map, but I'd tip if I knew how. I don't think I've ever touched the mail system in this game.

Maybe you could add a message that says something like 'Thanks for helping out with the guild missions!'

Idk, maybe people are misunderstanding why you're sending them things? I know in PvP people use it to actually harass people that don't want to be bothered by sending packets of salt and stuff so idk. ^^;;

Since I enjoy to be alone the moments when I ask for help are rare, but it happened.I did the exact thing, but I also do that in real life. Workmate drove me home with her - gifted her a bottle of Cinzano Asti. She loves that stuff and she just mentioned it once. And then she was so over-excited about that 5€ bottle and it almost backfired at me, because she tried to counter-gift me with something. That was kinda awkward.

Saying something in chat is too less in my opinion. Spitting out one-liners is something when in public, a guy holds the door open or something. "Thanks". But reaching a goal together should be a bit more personal. You might gain some feel later on how people react. As being talkactive, you note in an instant who wants to keep chatting or is open-minded or who does not want to keep in touch. You will be surprised how many nice people "hide" because they never dare to talk more than one line, that's considered "spamming" in our modern lives apparently. I've met many nice people that kept talking for 30 more minutes just because I "invited" them by being open-minded. And you should receive similar kindness back soon, you just have to try more often.

A gift is a gift, and not accepting it is rude towards the giver, similiar to brushing it off.You are doing the right thing, Sir (or Ma'am). Keep it up!

Excelsior.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

shout out to all the porting mesmers out there! you prove this community is the best mmo community going!

Yes - this is so true! <3 our mesmer porting buddies!

except when theres multiple....and you go in the wrong one..........and end up further back....right in middle of enemy zerg.....

....SAVE ME MESMER

when given the chance i love porting people to daily jp's i do it when i can and ive had help from others on other times. there have been times where i ported people for a couple of hours and yes i prefer to send gold back to those who send. i do the porting out to help those who need it and there are times i need one or two bits of help. i prefer the paying stuff forward motto i help you. you help someone else with something else. maybe in the end they end up helping me out with something too

@"MornJack.3579" said:To make a lot story short, i got a tiny guild since one month. I try the guild bounties each week and every time i succeed, thanks to other players. Strangers passing by.But i tried to send them mail with gift inside, just to say "Hey you helped me. That's kind." And these players send me the letter back.

So, do you know a good way to say "thank you" ? I mean that just writting it in the local chan seems to be unfair... I'm lost.

Another example is the mesmers with their jumping puzzle portals (for the daylies). I really want to thank them... :)

Oh, and thank you for your advices. :)

I have had the same problem OP, but I decided instead of sending gold I would send a drink and that is pretty much always accepted. It let's people know that you appreciated them helping but doesn't seem to make them feel bad about taking a reward for it. Try it :)

I help people out all the time. Sometimes people tip me, because they're appreciative. If it's a small tip, I don't know like 10 silver, I won't return it because I feel like everyone can afford that either way. But sometimes they give me a gold and I feel that's just too much and I send it back. My thought process is that I usually have thousands of gold and I have no idea whatsoever of what they might have. I'm not helping people to get a tip. I'm helping people because I genuinely enjoy helping people.

Take bounties. I'll call out bounties in map chat when I see them even if no one is asking just in case someone need them. "Anyone need Brekebek?" I usually follow the bounty for a minute just in case it takes people a bit to answer. Costs me very little, but it helps the community.

What I really want to see, more than a tip, is people helping the community as well. Answering a question, or giving encouragement. Even just saying gratz if someone links something cool they got. The best way you can say thank you to helpful people is to become a helpful person. Beyond that a thank you in map chat or whisper is probably the most common and acceptable reaction.

Owww <3I think i'm falling in love with You GW community ! <3 I've asked the same question right here and in the french forum (because i am. I apologize for that and for my poor english too XD) and you react in a level i didn't expect at all ! Really ! I was sure to read things like "you didn't send enough money in your mail" or something like that but no ! You're explaining me i'm doing well. And you're telling me to go on the same way because it's kind of perfect like this ? Thank You very much to be You GW community ! I know why i'm playing with You since 2007 !

To answer some of you now:*Yes, having my mail back was kind of rude. But the player explained me why. He/she didn't waited anything from me but an "thank you".

*In the future, i'll write in /map a personalized thank you. I won't write the usual "tyvm" anymore. Helping people deserve it ! :)

*I think i'll send my mails, again and again and again with gift inside. :) You want my gifts ? Well, be a mesmer or help me stop Poobadoo every week ! ;)

*As soon as i can, i'll train a mesmer to be this guy who open portals. I jump pretty well so, i can be the first on top for daylies. And the rest of the time i won't forget to help others find their way in Tyria.

You. Are. All. Awesome ! o/

PS: you must know that i can't breath right know and i almost had a heart attack !Do you realize that Gaile Gray answered my question ?... I can't ! XDThe "Farewell to (You) Gaile" event, in GW 1 is by far my favorite. I was proud to participate because it meant a lot for the whole community in that time.I think i'll print this thread tomorow ! XD

I like to give 20-50silver to mesmers who portal. And I give something if I follow a com and enjoyed it in WvW.I even gave some silver to someone who merely pointed me in the right direction xD.

I like to give something, to show appreciation. Makes me feel like I'm helping back, even if just a little.

I've never had anyone return it.

@MornJack.3579 said:*As soon as i can, i'll train a mesmer to be this guy who open portals. I jump pretty well so, i can be the first on top for daylies. And the rest of the time i won't forget to help others find their way in Tyria.

You have my support for that, go for it xD Mesmer is cool, my first char was one and it has been my main and only (I have alts but rarely play them) for almost 4 years now :D Hail the pink people ^^

This thread made me remember a certain event when i was pretty new in game and recently had made my way to Verdant Brink. I was on my fresh level 80 sylvari revenant and got carried away with everything happening in the jungel so i forgot all about time and space. It was late and I was really sleepy but i had so little left on the exp bar before i finally could get the glider mastery.

I was struggling with this event, almost gave up but then a Charr showed up and fought by my side. The enemies welled in and i got downed but the Charr came for my rescue and rezed me. I was so thankful so i thanked him in the /say chat, just to get downed again at the same moment i pressed enter. He rezed me again and i thanked him in /say chat again. More enemies welled in and i got totally owerwhelmed so i insta died but my Charr hero came for my rescue again. I thanked him again in the /say chat. We fought off some more enemies together untill i died again. I felt so weak and ashamed for being such a burden. He was so strong and didn't even get downed once. He took his time to rez me again, with the enemies attacking his back. So cool and strong! He must be one of the greatest players! I was so grateful from the bottom of my heart that he took the time to rez me every time i died with the risk for his own life and that he kept fighting by my side even tho i kept dying over and over.

When we finally cleared the event and all enemies were dead I wanted to hug him and thank im properly from my whole heart but when i targeted him to send a whisper I realized that he was an NPC! I felt a bit stupid and took it as a sign that it was really time to go to bed. I am still really grateful to my npc Charr hero. I would never have made it without him :3

EDIT: I forgot to answer the main question of the thread. Just showing how gratefull you are with a simple "Thank you so much" means alot. Just knowing that i could help somone and hopefully made that person happy is enough reward for me :3

Archived