What are we fighting for?

Arioch.6507

I mean, sure there are keeps to claim, and towers to defend, pips to be earned, in some cases just Gift's of Battle to be achieved. But, what is the "goal"? what does one receive for coming in 1st. I mean, you know, on top of being the Red Boarderlands (with the exception of T1 of course)? It seems there is no "Reason to Fight" other than "Fighting for Fighting's sake".

More seriously though, the point is to come first (and have fun doing so), not necessarily to get something for coming first. A great deal of competitive games are about fighting for the sake of fighting, whether it is Streetfighter 2, Command and Conquer or any of thousands of other games. where a tournament ins't involved

And it's one, two, three,What are we fighting for?Don't ask me, I don't give a tree,Next stop is SMC!And it's five, six, seven,Open up their Garri's gates,Well there ain't no time to wonder whyWhoopee! we're all gonna die.

Well, come on generals, let's move fast;Your big chance has come at last.Now you can go out and get those tags'Cause the only good opponent is dropping bagsAnd you know that Hills can only be flippedWhen we're getting those outnumbered pips.

More seriously, does WvW need a primary goal other than to win the match up? I find it fun to try to outplay opponents, especially in a well-organized medium group. Having a goal, such as we had during Tournaments, added spice to that, sure. But the goal of "winning a trophy with minor amounts of extra loot plus bragging rights" doesn't seem anymore meaningful to me than what we have now.

I suspect we wouldn't care as much about whether WvW has goals if the game mode changed more often. Many veterans have been WvWing for 5.5 years, and plenty of "newcomers" have been playing over a year. It's easy for any sort of game mode to get stale in those circumstances.

@Arioch.6507 said:So kinda like T-ball, the score doesn't really matter, as long as you're having fun playing in the dirt?

And occasionally kicking dirt in your opponents eye helps too.

Fight to fight motivates a lot. Fighting against small groups motivates others. Fighting in large scale clashes and trying like hell to survive and get some bags, or heal the heck out our your team to keep them alive longer, works for still others.

Many of us who have played the mode mostly exclusively would ask the same questions about the PvE content. To us, PvE is a source for gold to by equipment for WvW.

@Arioch.6507 said:So kinda like T-ball, the score doesn't really matter, as long as you're having fun playing in the dirt?

Same for me, I roam or 2 man. I take stuff so our zerg can concentrate on their objectives. Occasionally if a zerg guild (looking at you GOTL) chases me across the map all day or puts seige on me or laughs, jumps, etc. I'll take time out to camp their spawn area and kill all that I can. :) It's what you make of it. It's fun! Points? Meh...

@Musty.3148 said:

Same for me, I roam or 2 man. I take stuff so our zerg can concentrate on their objectives. Occasionally if a zerg guild (looking at you GOTL) chases me across the map all day or puts seige on me or laughs, jumps, etc. I'll take time out to camp their spawn area and kill all that I can. :) It's what you make of it. It's fun! Points? Meh...

If they chase me across the map it's a win.,. Longer the chase the better. Agree on the 1-2 man groups. I do that a lot and we crack up in TS derailing the blob.

It's even more fun when the group peels off leaving some squirrel to be decapitated behind. :grin:

These are some of my favorite things.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

For me, yeah.

Mileage varies: some people live to beat particular opponents, whether guild or server or individual tag.

Some people do it to fill their (alter?) ego too. I feel sorry for this group of people though.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:And it's one, two, three,What are we fighting for?Don't ask me, I don't give a tree,Next stop is SMC!And it's five, six, seven,Open up their Garri's gates,Well there ain't no time to wonder whyWhoopee! we're all gonna die.

Well, come on generals, let's move fast;Your big chance has come at last.Now you can go out and get those tags'Cause the only good opponent is dropping bagsAnd you know that Hills can only be flippedWhen we're getting those outnumbered pips.

More seriously, does WvW need a primary goal other than to win the match up? I find it fun to try to outplay opponents, especially in a well-organized medium group. Having a goal, such as we had during Tournaments, added spice to that, sure. But the goal of "winning a trophy with minor amounts of extra loot plus bragging rights" doesn't seem anymore meaningful to me than what we have now.

I suspect we wouldn't care as much about whether WvW has goals if the game mode changed more often. Many veterans have been WvWing for 5.5 years, and plenty of "newcomers" have been playing over a year. It's easy for any sort of game mode to get stale in those circumstances.

Hooray for a Country Joe reference that's sure to go over the heads of most of the playerbase.

But yeah, WvW is for lulz and nothing else.

It's what i've been saying for awhile. We're fighting for nothing but pride. No rewards for winning PPT or fights. This is a good gamemode with a lot of potential but it needs some goals for people, guilds and communities to work for. World restructuring is a step in the right direction but we also need something to play for other than pips.

its all about the reward tracks now.. used to be that servers who were winning got all kinds of boosts.. 16% to loot find, crafting etc... but those were removed about a year ago. Give it a few months.. wvw will be dead due to the changes.. and all players will move on or leave the game. Hacking is already so rampant that many have quit... and they simply do not care about wvw enough to fix it.

Archived